Nike NBA Apparel and Jersey Thread: 2017-18 NBA Season Takeover

Another one
FE64F20F-BE12-46D8-80C5-567F8E7C9171.jpeg
31DF37B1-E267-4D1B-8CF1-F71CA80332F0.jpeg
you the raptors goat on niketalk

Yea but their stock is coming in in waves. It's not like they sent all stock out at once. So some of it is due to the distribution log jam.

But why don’t you blame Nike for not producing more?

Because there's no market for authentics. Jersey Central (RIP), Ice Jerseys, this thread and the people who post in/on them are an anomaly. Go to an NBA game and you can count the people you come across one hand, maybe two, wearing authentics. More people are wearing Chinese fakes, Fanatics brand or swingmans if they're wearing sports merchandise. This isn't the 2000s where people were shelling $200-400 on jerseys. While jersey sales constitute 40% of the NBAs apparel revenue, there aren't many spending $200 on a tank top. Nike has that data and uses it to reflect in manufacturing.

There’s always going to be a market for authentics of superstar players and popular teams.

Now minimizing production on your smaller market teams and those without a marketable star player worth spending Authentic money on, I can rationalize. Ultimately those will likely go for more on the secondary market since they were produced in much smaller quantities. But you’re never going to please everyone.

My 2c on the reselling debate: im kinda in the middle. On one hand, its a free market, people dont have to pay resell prices etc.

But i think resellers need to acknowledge that the market exists because of a select group of hardcore hobbyists that have kept the culture of collecting alive for nearly twenty years between the ‘boom’ periods of 2k rap and post blockchain capitalism. In my ideal world there would be an honor system where resellers would sell to real collectors at msrp, and profit off the casuals / hypebeasts / other profiteers. Never gonna happen but a guy can dream

My 2c on the reselling debate: im kinda in the middle. On one hand, its a free market, people dont have to pay resell prices etc.

But i think resellers need to acknowledge that the market exists because of a select group of hardcore hobbyists that have kept the culture of collecting alive for nearly twenty years between the ‘boom’ periods of 2k rap and post blockchain capitalism. In my ideal world there would be an honor system where resellers would sell to real collectors at msrp, and profit off the casuals / hypebeasts / other profiteers. Never gonna happen but a guy can dream

When in doubt, wait it out.

The market crashes. It's cyclical. Early 2010s, jerseys that are now past the $400 mark, were going for $150 and under.

Because there's no market for authentics. Jersey Central (RIP), Ice Jerseys, this thread and the people who post in/on them are an anomaly. Go to an NBA game and you can count the people you come across one hand, maybe two, wearing authentics. More people are wearing Chinese fakes, Fanatics brand or swingmans if they're wearing sports merchandise. This isn't the 2000s where people were shelling $200-400 on jerseys. While jersey sales constitute 40% of the NBAs apparel revenue, there aren't many spending $200 on a tank top. Nike has that data and uses it to reflect in manufacturing.
So resellers are the ONLY problem? Interesting.

So resellers are the ONLY problem? Interesting.

Why would you flood the market with stuff that will not sell and you're going to be forced to take back when a return to vendor order is executed? Authentics are marketing tools to hook you to get other apparel. If you resell, you resell. Get it how you live. You don't have to explain yourself to this thread.

Best part about resellers is not buying from them. I was one to try over and over for a ps5 versus donating to a reseller. Some of the sales are hilarious though. Like the swing man jerseys. Watch as I make my tens of dollars. eBay benefitting and sitting pretty.

Best part about resellers is not buying from them. I was one to try over and over for a ps5 versus donating to a reseller. Some of the sales are hilarious though. Like the swing man jerseys. Watch as I make my tens of dollars. eBay benefitting and sitting pretty.
The right swingmans will still provide a decent profit, like the raptors city edition ones :pimp:

Nike taking forever to ship out my Diamond Edition, smh.

You guys have this same issue when ordering from Nike?

When in doubt, wait it out.

The market crashes. It's cyclical. Early 2010s, jerseys that are now past the $400 mark, were going for $150 and under.
i think what constitutes a 'crash' is somewhat subjective. even before the reselling craze the prices of most pre-adidas pieces were continually rising. a finite supply of things that the same collectors were competing for. as an example the og griz jerseys were all over ebay during the early 00's boom and you could hardly give em away. they started going for 500+ during the 10's when jerseys were out of fashion.

what is truly cyclical are trends. just as millennials with disposable incomes are now paying $$$ for 90's throwbacks, we'll probably see the same occur someday but to a much greater scale with current nike jerseys. i can easily see some of these city editions selling for five figures in a decade or two when you consider how the market for authentic jerseys has expanded globally, limited supply + inflation and all that

Some of these jerseys are interesting to me.

Like I know and understand why smaller market teams and those without a superstar player would have authentics produced in smaller quantities.

But some of these teams have extremely high roster turnover and in the case of some, really don’t have a star player or even a guy that’ll likely stay on the team for a while that’s worth spending Authentic jersey money on, yet their jerseys sell out quick when their respective team store puts them up.

But I know it’s jersey styles from the 90’s and early 00’s which go for alot regardless of the player. But for me personally, none of these jerseys have that look and appeal. Maybe they’ll age well. But I’m not seeing it with any of them.

Some of these jerseys are interesting to me.

Like I know and understand why smaller market teams and those without a superstar player would have authentics produced in smaller quantities.

But some of these teams have extremely high roster turnover and in the case of some, really don’t have a star player or even a guy that’ll likely stay on the team for a while that’s worth spending Authentic jersey money on, yet their jerseys sell out quick when their respective team store puts them up.

But I know it’s jersey styles from the 90’s and early 00’s which go for alot regardless of the player. But for me personally, none of these jerseys have that look and appeal. Maybe they’ll age well. But I’m not seeing it with any of them.

a number of factors and they can vary from team to team. the biggest being the obvious which is that resellers pounce on anything that is limited. Also as the game grows globally there are more collectors that dont have the same biases as north americans would.

As far as aesthetics, thats completely subjective. I think the suns and hornets city joints are horrific… but most people love em so more power to em. There are definitely a few recent styles that are already all time classics. The miami vice jerseys are the greatest designs of all time imo

Back
Top Bottom