Nike NBA Apparel and Jersey Thread: 2017-18 NBA Season Takeover

I thought the same way until I started dealing with the client side myself. I've presented mockups and suggestions only to be countered with things that didn't make sense with the only logic being that the client wanted it. When the client wants it, you give it to them and they have to own what happens.

Wait. So where are the previews? I’m not liking this post.

Because it’s what the lakers signed off on. Not that hard at all lol.
not questioning that. nike presented the color and the lakers signed off on it, i agree.

but i don't think nike presented them with any other alternative options besides amarillo. i have a hard time believing lakers, warriors, nuggets, pacers, hawks, were all presented with amarillo vs gold, and all preferred and signed off on amarillo over gold. i'm just speculating obviously but that's what i question.

Heat and Jazz do use a different shade called Sundial and Cavs do use University Gold, so there's that. But it feels more like Nike decided among the colors themselves and presented the designs and asked owners like Jeanie for final approval (just a simple yes or no vs actually letting them choose), and Jeanie said sure whatever, i have more important stuff to do, like signing westbrook and keeping trash horton tucker over caruso. :rofl:

Last edited:
not questioning that. nike presented the color and the lakers signed off on it, i agree.

but i don't think nike presented them with any other alternative options besides amarillo. i have a hard time believing lakers, warriors, nuggets, pacers, hawks, were all presented with amarillo vs gold, and all preferred and signed off on amarillo over gold. i'm just speculating obviously but that's what i question.

Heat and Jazz do use a different shade called Sundial and Cavs do use University Gold, so there's that. But it feels more like Nike decided among the colors themselves and presented the designs and asked owners like Jeanie for final approval, and Jeanie said whatever, i have more important stuff to do, like signing westbrook and keeping trash horton tucker over caruso. :rofl:
Asinine. When youre a billion dollar corporation doing a rebrand for a billion dollar corporation youre presenting dozens if not hundreds of variations to the client while getting in process feedback

Asinine. When youre a billion dollar corporation doing a rebrand for a billion dollar corporation youre presenting dozens if not hundreds of variations to the client while getting in process feedback
So what you're saying is Nike presented 100 different shades of yellow and the warriors lakers hawks nuggets and pacers all coincidentally happened to pick amarillo over the other 99 shades?

Alrighty then

Last edited:
Well it’s also not some “there’s 100 shades of yellow and the warriors lakers hawks nuggets and pacers all coincidentally picked amarillo over the other 99 shades” situation

I also think next seasons jazz uniforms and this seasons miami mashup uniforms definitely fit the bill of “just do this”. Or should i say, “just do it”. :lol: So you never know. The pelicans city uniforms this season weren’t even a mixtape uniform iirc

Last edited:
F457059C-537A-4BDE-A87A-71563EC39AEC.jpeg

Ready for the game tmr lol

So what you're saying is Nike presented 100 different shades of yellow and the warriors lakers hawks nuggets and pacers all coincidentally happened to pick amarillo over the other 99 shades?

Alrighty then
no what i'm saying that there were probably 100 different variations of the jerseys before they came to the final product. which means different combinations of shades, letter placement and sizing, trim treatment etc. its not implausible for a number of teams to agree to use the same shade of yellow if it suits their purposes. there are also many factors that havent even been touched on in this thread including the streamlining of production when different teams have material overlap as well as the logistics of how well specific shades transfer to different fabrics.

but i digress. at the end of the day the fans have made it abundantly clear that they want the showtime gold and if the jerseys arent adjusted thats on the lakers not nike

FYI

Shouldn't have taken over a month for them to do this. I get "supporting small businesses" but there are better and more efficient ways to do things.

but i digress. at the end of the day the fans have made it abundantly clear that they want the showtime gold and if the jerseys arent adjusted thats on the lakers not nike

Why can't it be on them both? From the article: Nike didn’t take the complaints to the Lakers, the Lakers took them to Nike. Lakers could have shown a 2000s era vs current era jersey and proved the shade was different, but they didn’t. They let Nike make the call.

Also there’s been a bunch of times where the final product was not what the client wanted. Last year Kyrie called his own Kyrie 8s trash and claimed he was never consulted by Nike over the design. Other examples:
- not wear-testing Aeroswift jerseys, resulting in easy rips for a full season
- not wear-testing the Lebron 15s and forgetting the outrigger, resulting in Lebron (nike's highest profile athlete besides MJ) complaining and needing his own version with an outrigger. He also didn't even wear his 11s or 13s during the playoffs.

Point i'm making is Nike definitely has more power than you're implying, and the premise that "they're a billion dollar corporation, they must guarantee the client signed off and is 100% satisfied" is false. The team designers will probably give an approximate color, but the exact shade is still up to Nike. The basic analogy is this: if you want a wishbone collar on your jersey, you have to use Nike's wishbone collar. If you want to use a yellow-ish color, you have to use Nike's amarillo. (adidas rev30 Warriors and Lakers also used the exact same gold, further proof that shade is a uniform supplier thing, not a team thing. Another way to look at this is if adidas was still the supplier, would the Lakers and Warriors have changed shades? No)

Furthermore if there were other variations, i think we would have seen some leaked samples by now with different shades. But we haven't. (but we have seen leaked samples with the same shade)

Last edited:
Good price on the Amarillo yellow Lebron Lakers authentic. Comes out to around $142 after tax and shipping. I’m pretty certain there’s no sponsor patch on it, but if that’s not a dealbreaker for you, not a bad price.

Anyone feel like its a cost to produce things or profit margins for teams and the producers? Multiple producers and teams have now done it. I've always just kind of assumed that was what goes on. 🤷‍♂️ Cheaper to use the same yellows/gold/blues/reds etc. for all that use it rather than have 3/4 different shades?.? Just saying... no clue if I am right or wrong. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Anyone feel like its a cost to produce things or profit margins for teams and the producers? Multiple producers and teams have now done it. I've always just kind of assumed that was what goes on. 🤷‍♂️ Cheaper to use the same yellows/gold/blues/reds etc. for all that use it rather than have 3/4 different shades?.? Just saying... no clue if I am right or wrong. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
The thought has crossed my mind and coming design background i know that all colours dont cost the same to produce (from what i recall red dyes are the most expensive). I seriously doubt this tho. For any brand that is visually oriented it makes no sense to me that they wouldnt at least offer a spectrum of shades that approximate light / mid / dark tones. Nike literally has a ‘proprietary’ colour called university gold that better captures lakers gold. A more likely scenario to me is that they wouldnt want to change the tone for the same reason that they stopped lebron from changing numbers… so they wouldnt be stuck with a gamut of unsellable merch. But if that were the case they still could have made the colour switch by now.

Because it’s what the lakers signed off on. Not that hard at all lol.
No, it's very hard actually.

Why did the teams change?

Why should Nike take over the NBA and then change 2 of the most popular teams' color schemes!?
Why have other teams not changed. We have not had an explanation.

We can only guess, and the best bet is that Nike ****ed up from the start and made the wrong color for these 2 teams, and instead of losing face and admitting they made a mistake and then have millions of items they could not sell, they stock with it.

No, it's very hard actually.

Why did the teams change?

Why should Nike take over the NBA and then change 2 of the most popular teams' color schemes!?
Why have other teams not changed. We have not had an explanation.

We can only guess, and the best bet is that Nike ****ed up from the start and made the wrong color for these 2 teams, and instead of losing face and admitting they made a mistake and then have millions of items they could not sell, they stock with it.
no thats not the best bet, there are a myriad of reasons the colour change could have happened and everything is pure conjecture. nobody here even knows if nike handled the redesign of the lakers jerseys. they could have been handled by lakers in house or a third party design firm

no thats not the best bet, there are a myriad of reasons the colour change could have happened and everything is pure conjecture. nobody here even knows if nike handled the redesign of the lakers jerseys. they could have been handled by lakers in house or a third party design firm
Agree, we want answers! But are we up for them?:D

-

Last edited:
in your own word 'they let' nike make the call. key words they let. so you're reinforcing what we're saying
Yeah so nike has the final say lol, not the team.

Just like the Suns ‘let’ the mavs sh*t all over them on their home floor. Doesn’t mean the Suns actually wanted it to happen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom