Nike NBA Apparel and Jersey Thread: 2017-18 NBA Season Takeover

So youre talking about the pandemic. Its been beaten to death but: supply chain.

Will see how it is in a year but i doubt its this bad.

Also the fact that the jerseys were aeroswift was no excuse for them to be sitting (ya the jordan ones were a rip off). The average consumer doesnt know the difference between aeroswift and vaporknit. Theres a reason a buncha team shops were using aeroswift blanks for two, three years after they were released. Consumers gotta put their money where their mouth is

I don’t necessarily disagree with your last part. I’ve said this numerous times when people complain as to why Mitchell and Ness prioritizes swingmans over authentics.

But from an accuracy perspective. We already know what it is with m&n in terms of their inconsistencies. But those aeroswift jerseys were garbage. Hell they were on sportscenter showing clips of them ripping apart in games. Now add to that they decided to make jerseys of iconic players in a jersey/style they never wore while jacking the price up. Not surprising at all that they sat when there was a superior product at a lower price point from a brand who is known for making throwback styles and players.

You would be surprised about the average consumer though. I’ve seen a few people who are jersey casuals at best at Staples Center in shock that those aeroswift jerseys were authentic. The average consumer may not know most the time. But when they saw them in hand, the reaction was generally negative.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your last part. I’ve said this numerous times when people complain as to why Mitchell and Ness prioritizes swingmans over authentics.

But from an accuracy perspective. We already know what it is with m&n in terms of their inconsistencies. But those aeroswift jerseys were garbage. Hell they were on sportscenter showing clips of them ripping apart in games. Now add to that they decided to make jerseys of iconic players in a jersey/style they never wore while jacking the price up. Not surprising at all that they sat when there was a superior product at a lower price point from a brand who is known for making throwback styles and players.

You would be surprised about the average consumer though. I’ve seen a few people who are jersey casuals at best at Staples Center in shock that those aeroswift jerseys were authentic. The average consumer may not know most the time. But when they saw them in hand, the reaction was generally negative.

But the average consumer doesn’t know the difference between aeroswift and aeroswiet. Ali express vs Nike…. Most don’t know or care.

Youre talking about a tiny percentage of casual and is also an example that doesnt mean much without more context (i.e. if they think that an authentic is supposed to be ‘heavy’)

The aeroswift argument is so disingenuous to me. I for one would still be buying to this day and im a discerning customer. Glad they switched to vaporknit and drifit adv of course but i digress.

There is a jersey boom that occurred over the past few years and it has more to due with nfts and crypto than it does with jersey materials.. There is definitely equal if not more blame to placed on buyers than nike. People refuse to pay reseller prices, they go out of business. Its that simple. I think a big part of the problem is that its now a global market so a) tech savvy resellers from around the world have access due to e-commerce and b) lots of rich foreign nba fans that are willing to spend. And honestly its hard to blame them they ostensibly have less access to jerseys than we do

Youre talking about a tiny percentage of casual and is also an example that doesnt mean much without more context (i.e. if they think that an authentic is supposed to be ‘heavy’)

The aeroswift argument is so disingenuous to me. I for one would still be buying to this day and im a discerning customer. Glad they switched to vaporknit and drifit adv of course but i digress.

There is a jersey boom that occurred over the past few years and it has more to due with nfts and crypto than it does with jersey materials.. There is definitely equal if not more blame to placed on buyers than nike. People refuse to pay reseller prices, they go out of business. Its that simple. I think a big part of the problem is that its now a global market so a) tech savvy resellers from around the world have access due to e-commerce and b) lots of rich foreign nba fans that are willing to spend. And honestly its hard to blame them they ostensibly have less access to jerseys than we do

The average consumer not knowing the difference is subjective. I’ve worked in jersey stores and have been around consumers in that capacity for a while. Yeah there’s some who don’t know/don’t care. But that’s not everyone.

You’re entitled to your opinion. I don’t see it as disingenuous at all though. If they stayed with that aeroswift material, I wouldn’t buy at all unless it was for reselling purposes. Hell retail NFL authentics are a more lighter material than their made in Berlin WI on field counterparts. But the material on them is decent enough to where I’ll buy them. Those Indonesian made Adidas nhl “authentics” are junk so I won’t buy any. I’ll just have to shell out the extra for actual on ice Canadian made ones through alternative means. It is what it is with retail authentics. But for as much as they charge and how they’re advertised as what they players wear. The inaccuracies are an annoyance. It doesn’t matter if only a few consumers notice or if a bunch notice.

As for the paying reseller prices. I sold a few of those Valley Booker jerseys and all sorts of Luka Mavs stuff I have access to. People are willing to pay the prices and I have no problem moving the stuff overseas. People can feel how they want to feel about resellers either way. If some overseas buyer has the money and is willing to pay a premium for something which isn’t available in the country they live in, more power to them.

For the supply chain stuff. Let’s see where it’s at next year. I’m not saying they should mass produce authentics to where stores are sitting on random size 56 stuff 15 years later the way some places are with jersey era stuff. But authentics should ultimately be obtainable.

Agree to disagree all day long for all I care. But Nike getting the exclusive NBA, NHL, and MLB licensing contracts, and to a lesser extent fanatics taking over all the league store websites and a lot of individual team websites has been bad for consumers. I’ll be fair, adidas switching to the rev 30 jerseys and making it a hassle to find jerseys with the correct mesh numbering started the decline though.

Last edited:
So youre talking about the pandemic. Its been beaten to death but: supply chain.

Will see how it is in a year but i doubt its this bad.

Also the fact that the jerseys were aeroswift was no excuse for them to be sitting (ya the jordan ones were a rip off). The average consumer doesnt know the difference between aeroswift and vaporknit. Theres a reason a buncha team shops were using aeroswift blanks for two, three years after they were released. Consumers gotta put their money where their mouth is

The supply chain talk is a bunch of bull and a cop out for multi BILLION dollar companies. MAYBE it applied a few months into the pandemic when the world was actually locked down but now 2 years in, not a chance. They are limiting supply to create hype, that’s it. With the digital age, hype builds brands. Nike is big and always has been, but it’s even more so because of it. Limiting releases creates this illusion of a luxury brand. It’s not luxury in the monetary sense, but luxury in the obtainability aspect of things.

As I’ve said in shoe threads, there are literally small rep factories in China that have been able to source material for fakes without ANY issues. Do a basic search on Reddit and you can see what I’m talking about. Basically 1:1 reps exist for shoes and jerseys yet Nike can’t source anything for the consumers? Ya I don’t buy it at all.

Regardless even if the supply chain issues have any merit to them, Nike clearly has enough material to make products not as hyped or desirable because factory/outlets are still stocked with product.

y’all know where I can get these shirts they were wearing all February? I like the back graphics and tried to find an official NBA link but Etsy and EBay keeps popping up

Mainly a Lakers or Hornets joint

1646538784320.jpeg

Caught a random restock on the curry city swingman. Have an extra xl/52 up for grabs for retail + ship if anyone needs. Ended up re-ordering a second one cuz I forgot I had fan cash lol

Attachments

• 11E305F1-6FE8-48B8-A6BF-38460699B1EF.jpeg
    11E305F1-6FE8-48B8-A6BF-38460699B1EF.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 629E15D7-1457-42F8-993F-D454C6C9416D.jpeg
    629E15D7-1457-42F8-993F-D454C6C9416D.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 723
I have several Mitchell and ness jerseys. They are accurate.

Interested to know which ones.

I consider myself a noob when it comes to jerseys, but even I can spot fairly obvious discrepancies simply by looking at a M&N one and googling one worn by a player.

I heard that the supply chain issues have more to do with the prices of the containers in which the jerseys are stocked for the transport out of Asia.

Personally the only M&N I have is a Steve Smith Hawks authentic and while the cut and fabric are proper to the brand, I find the design fairly true to the original. But I agree that some others from M&N are quite different, mostly the purple ones, as the shade is always wrong...

The supply chain issues are very real. Theres a reason most of us havent been able to cop a ps5 over the last year. To insinuate that big corporations are withholding product is insane, its not like they see a cent of the markup that resellers charge and those are all just lost sales for them.

As someone mentioned the ports have been a mess, not to mention that every country has its on pandemic mandates… more distancing and other safety measure in workspaces slows production to a crawl, not to mention the shortages of raw materials that probably need to be imported from other places before product is even assembled.

Anyway sorry if my tone came off as pretentious in any of the past posts. Im super opinionated but i dont mean to disparage other views

It's been disastrous for consumers to get variety with authentic NFL, then NBA and now MLB jerseys once Nike took over the contracts and becoming the sole supplier of the leagues. As much as I like Nike, they haven't been good for authentic jerseys now that they've monopolized on the league contracts.

I recall how all the colors of authentic jerseys of most of the teams were obtainable in the past when they were either made by traditional apparel companies and shoe companies.

The traditional apparel companies manufactured the authentic jerseys in USA for the most part. And they had better quality and workmanship.

Authentic jerseys began to decline a little when shoe companies got involved in the '90s with them being outsourced and having cheaper materials in order to reduce overhead and maximize profits that way.

It just got progressively worse with the shoe companies going forward. I agree with some who think that availability with authentic jerseys became scarce when Adidas came out with those Rev 30 jerseys with limited quantities and higher pricing for the 2010-11 season.

It's always a money grab unfortunately, so Nike is no different with them making too many variations of jerseys for each NBA team. It's complicated for me to remember the gimmicky name for a specific jersey color when I've been so used to the traditional home, road and alternate distinctions. Nike became too saturated with them making gimmicky jerseys for the playoffs now. Those City & Classic jerseys were already overkill.

I doubt we'll ever see traditional apparel companies manufacturing good quality jerseys again because their money will never be significant like the shoe companies to secure the league contracts. The shoe companies having more money is the reason why the leagues have sold out to them because they know they can lock them into long-term contracts based on that. Traditional apparel companies will never be able to compete with them to get licenses now.

The average consumer not knowing the difference is subjective. I’ve worked in jersey stores and have been around consumers in that capacity for a while. Yeah there’s some who don’t know/don’t care. But that’s not everyone.

You’re entitled to your opinion. I don’t see it as disingenuous at all though. If they stayed with that aeroswift material, I wouldn’t buy at all unless it was for reselling purposes. Hell retail NFL authentics are a more lighter material than their made in Berlin WI on field counterparts. But the material on them is decent enough to where I’ll buy them. Those Indonesian made Adidas nhl “authentics” are junk so I won’t buy any. I’ll just have to shell out the extra for actual on ice Canadian made ones through alternative means. It is what it is with retail authentics. But for as much as they charge and how they’re advertised as what they players wear. The inaccuracies are an annoyance. It doesn’t matter if only a few consumers notice or if a bunch notice.

As for the paying reseller prices. I sold a few of those Valley Booker jerseys and all sorts of Luka Mavs stuff I have access to. People are willing to pay the prices and I have no problem moving the stuff overseas. People can feel how they want to feel about resellers either way. If some overseas buyer has the money and is willing to pay a premium for something which isn’t available in the country they live in, more power to them.

For the supply chain stuff. Let’s see where it’s at next year. I’m not saying they should mass produce authentics to where stores are sitting on random size 56 stuff 15 years later the way some places are with jersey era stuff. But authentics should ultimately be obtainable.

Agree to disagree all day long for all I care. But Nike getting the exclusive NBA, NHL, and MLB licensing contracts, and to a lesser extent fanatics taking over all the league store websites and a lot of individual team websites has been bad for consumers. I’ll be fair, adidas switching to the rev 30 jerseys and making it a hassle to find jerseys with the correct mesh numbering started the decline though.
There are def people that dont like aeroswift but thats not gonna stop people from buying them. Theyre great jerseys. Your opinion is also subjective. I hated rev 30, that said i can acknowledge that they were quality product. I just dont care for the texture and fit.

The demand for jerseys is completely different now than 5 years ago. At raptors shop they were using the original stock for over two years. They were not selling that much. As soon as the raps won the chip everything flew off the shelf except for like the size 40 and 56 joints.

My comment about the reselling was a general one addressing those that are upset about everything being snatched by resellers. It is annoying but no judgement here if thats your hussle.

I dont know if nike monopolizing all the big sports is good or bad. Im generally a fan of most of their product so its good for me. Wish mlb stayed majestic, but we all know theyre still making them anyway. Agreed about fanatics. They are fine for casuals but terrible for hobbyists.

It's been disastrous for consumers to get variety with authentic NFL, then NBA and now MLB jerseys once Nike took over the contracts and becoming the sole supplier of the leagues. As much as I like Nike, they haven't been good for authentic jerseys now that they've monopolized on the league contracts.

I recall how all the colors of authentic jerseys of most of the teams were obtainable in the past when they were either made by traditional apparel companies and shoe companies.

The traditional apparel companies manufactured the authentic jerseys in USA for the most part. And they had better quality and workmanship.

Authentic jerseys began to decline a little when shoe companies got involved in the '90s with them being outsourced and having cheaper materials in order to reduce overhead and maximize profits that way.

It just got progressively worse with the shoe companies going forward. I agree with some who think that availability with authentic jerseys became scarce when Adidas came out with those Rev 30 jerseys with limited quantities and higher pricing for the 2010-11 season.

It's always a money grab unfortunately, so Nike is no different with them making too many variations of jerseys for each NBA team. It's complicated for me to remember the gimmicky name for a specific jersey color when I've been so used to the traditional home, road and alternate distinctions. Nike became too saturated with them making gimmicky jerseys for the playoffs now. Those City & Classic jerseys were already overkill.

I doubt we'll ever see traditional apparel companies manufacturing good quality jerseys again because their money will never be significant like the shoe companies to secure the league contracts. The shoe companies having more money is the reason why the leagues have sold out to them because they know they can lock them into long-term contracts based on that. Traditional apparel companies will never be able to compete with them to get licenses now.
I agree that nike has majorly dropped the ball with nfl authentics. I guess they feel they are too expensive for the avg consumer to mass produce. No idea what their operating margins are so its tough to say if this is justifiable.

I think the plethora of home / away retail options during the rbk/adidas era was a by-product of the end of the 2k jersey boom. Nike actually was one of the first to make authentics in all styles (along w/ puma, starter etc). Remember that during most of the 90s champion only did one color of auth for most teams. Speaking of which:

Again this notion that current jerseys are of lesser quality is completely false. They are built for comfort, motion and keeping a small ecological footprint and in that regard they are simply leaps and bounds better than their predecessors. Not to mention that they are far more on court accurate than say mid 90’s champion. This is a fact. Look at a mid 90s pistons, lakers or jazz jersey. Not accurate at all. The only thing u can really take away from the current nikes is bad twill, which is due to licensing deals between the league and companies like silver crystal. The rubber swoosh has been rectified on 2nd gen vaporknits

The supply chain issues are very real. Theres a reason most of us havent been able to cop a ps5 over the last year. To insinuate that big corporations are withholding product is insane, its not like they see a cent of the markup that resellers charge and those are all just lost sales for them.

As someone mentioned the ports have been a mess, not to mention that every country has its on pandemic mandates… more distancing and other safety measure in workspaces slows production to a crawl, not to mention the shortages of raw materials that probably need to be imported from other places before product is even assembled.

Anyway sorry if my tone came off as pretentious in any of the past posts. Im super opinionated but i dont mean to disparage other views

Nike is Nike. They have been doing this crap even before the pandemic.

I can’t wait to have this discussion in a few years time. What will the excuse be “Nike is still feeling the effects of Covid 5 years later so that’s why I can’t get what I want”

Stop making excuses for billion dollar corporations. If they wanted you to have the product, you would have it. Even a slight hit to their margins would make them millions so ya, not really a valid excuse.

We can agree to disagree I guess. I hope I’m wrong because I do want some authentics.

As for your ps5 analogy, it’s not really a fair one. A jersey costs penny’s to make whereas a ps5 they’re losing money on each sale already so it doesn’t make sense for them to source the materials for that in current times. If they really wanted to, they could.

Nike is Nike. They have been doing this crap even before the pandemic.

I can’t wait to have this discussion in a few years time. What will the excuse be “Nike is still feeling the effects of Covid 5 years later so that’s why I can’t get what I want”

Stop making excuses for billion dollar corporations. If they wanted you to have the product, you would have it. Even a slight hit to their margins would make them millions so ya, not really a valid excuse.

We can agree to disagree I guess. I hope I’m wrong because I do want some authentics.

As for your ps5 analogy, it’s not really a fair one. A jersey costs penny’s to make whereas a ps5 they’re losing money on each sale already so it doesn’t make sense for them to source the materials for that in current times. If they really wanted to, they could.
What world are you living in? Come on now

Nike is making the authentic jerseys limited to build hype. Makes no sense to mass produce them because not everyone want to spend +$200 on a sleeveless shirt. Got nothing to do with supply issues.

Nike is making the authentic jerseys limited to build hype. Makes no sense to mass produce them because not everyone want to spend +$200 on a sleeveless shirt. Got nothing to do with supply issues.

They're simply marketing tools. We're the hardcore of the base.

It's bananas how the damn NBA FLAGSHIP STORE STILL doesn’t sell ANY Nike authentics.

It's run by Fanatics now. Before the shutdown and the transition of ownership, they carried authentics. Plus, NBA Store is a shell of what it used to be when it was on 52nd and 5th. It's considerably smaller with less product in general.

Back
Top Bottom