Nike SB x Jordan IV? - 2023

I think you should read more closely what I’ve been saying. You guys seem to think every change that’s made to a shoe is a desired intentional design decision even though you don’t know that’s true. Nike could decide tomorrow that if they change to an adhesive that bonds twice as fast allowing them to make more shoes but the trade off is the curing for this adhesive takes place at a much higher temperature, so they switch to a heat resistant foam padding in the ankles instead of the traditional cotton padding and boom, your shoe for the next year has slimmer ankles as a result. See how that works? Notice how that change wasn’t driven by “we should make the ankle slimmer” and instead by a process change that simply affected the end product? Deciding to make a design change arbitrarily just to make something look different is a completely different decision than making a process change based on efficiency and having the end product change as a result of that. You seem to think the only consideration they have is how many suckers they can get to buy what they’re selling and they get their rocks off at the fact that getting folks to buy non og specs. And I don’t blame you, without a manufacturing background there’s a lot of blanks you have to fill. But from the manufacturing perspective there are way more simple explanations. Like the fact that Nike has not only exponentially increased the amount of stock they’re producing over the past 10 years and have done so across an increasing amount of factories, and anyone from a manufacturing background will tell you that a manufacturing process doesn’t go from producing 50k units per color way to 200k units in the same amount of time without going through substantial changes. And now that we’re on the tail end of what looks like a massive expansion on Nikes part, it’s not a coincidence that now we’re seeing more OG accurate silhouettes. Now is the perfect time to “remaster” if they’re gearing up for the changes associated with scaling up, Remember what I said about opportunity cost? As great as Virgil is/was, you think they retooled the Jordan 2 just for him? Might have felt like it at the time but hindsight shows us that it was Nikes intention to bring back the 2 in quantities we’d never seen before from the jump in a more accurate shape. Same thing can be said for the air ships.

ADVERTISEMENT​
If you take nothing else from my walls of text, let it be this. Companies make a lot decisions for a lot of reasons. But they never drop maximizing profit from the equation, even if they think their customers are suckers.

Not remotely close to anything i said and if that’s your best attempt at summarizing what I said, we’re talking past eachother at this point. I gave you real life scenarios that take place in manufacturing everyday as to why things change and why things don’t in a timeline that’s faster than the pace of what any given customer wants. If they can project greater revenue and profit from doing something they will 100% do it, and they’ll do it at pace and in a sequence that maximizes the profits and minimizes the losses. Making arbitrary changes just because they can almost never serves that goal. Thats what it comes down to.
Everything you've said certainly sounds like it make sense but I just don't agree because of the history of retros the past 20 years.

I think they've intentionally designed them a certain way for years and are only now changing the shapes because the demand for OG shapes is louder than ever and that is because vintage has been in style these past few years.

We haven't even brought up the fact that some retros are said to have a "modern" design, I would think that that right there is proof of intentional changes.

I think they've intentionally designed them a certain way for years and are only now changing the shapes because the demand for OG shapes is louder than ever and that is because vintage has been in style these past few years.

I couldn’t even begin to quantify “demand for OG shape” so I can’t tell you whether that’s true or not. The demand from people like us from Nike talk is one thing, but to the average consumer? Most people in here would argue most folks don’t actually care.

What I do know is Nike has made it its express goal to increase production across the board and sell more shoes. They say as much to investors. And I also know going from one level of production another is going to require changes to how shoes are made to scale up. Which provides a great opportunity to incorporate design changes and intern create a marketing campaign that they can sell as a return to OG form.
We haven't even brought up the fact that some retros are said to have a "modern" design, I would think that that right there is proof of intentional changes.

We know what Nike marketing tells us. Ultimately without being in those meetings and those board rooms we have no idea if this change is because they wanted to better serve the customer or if it was a change that was going to happen regardless because of changes in manufacturing and they’re seizing the opportunity to dress it up as a public service.

I couldn’t even begin to quantify “demand for OG shape” so I can’t tell you whether that’s true or not. The demand from people like us from Nike talk is one thing, but to the average consumer? Most people in here would argue most folks don’t actually care.

What I do know is Nike has made it its express goal to increase production across the board and sell more shoes. They say as much to investors. And I also know going from one level of production another is going to require changes to how shoes are made to scale up. Which provides a great opportunity to incorporate design changes and intern create a marketing campaign that they can sell as a return to OG form.

We know what Nike marketing tells us. Ultimately without being in those meetings and those board rooms we have no idea if this change is because they wanted to better serve the customer or if it was a change that was going to happen regardless because of changes in manufacturing and they’re seizing the opportunity to dress it up as a public service.
I mean who cares? Bottom line is they’re picking models to cast new molds. The fact that it’s not transparent why it’s not happening to all models doesn’t change the fact that there were DECADES where they made almost no attempt to make them look right. I mean hell, Gentry found 27 things wrong with the 03 WC3s and they still released them.

If they’re getting them closer because factory equipment has reached EOL it’s kind of irrelevant to me when they still come up short with the new specs that I think we both agree they undoubtedly have in exact OG form.

Also we saw them tweak the AJ2 mold this year compared to last years. Now they’re dropping 2s from the rotation so if it’s such a financial burden, why do it again months later? It invalidates your theory IMO. And that’s just one example. There have been others. The shape on the 8’s also changed this year and there’s little financial incentive on that one either. 85 highs have seen the mole change and it was a new mold a couple years ago.

These are such small financial costs for a company this size that I think you’re placing too much emphasis on the barriers to doing this. Iterative product releases in a mature market with minimal changes is a common marketing and sales tactic. This company is one step above “predatory” IMO, so driving sales by showing some modicum of commitment to quality and the customer but never quite getting there is too perfect for me to believe that’s not what they’re doing.

From what I've seen there is more demand to return to OG form on Jordan retros because it's not just collectors asking, it's young people, influencers, celebrities, designers, etc.

In the past only collectors asked for a return to OG form.

I'm through with you, you've shown you don't know the recent history of this stuff we're talking about or you're acting like you don't know because it helps your argument.

I mean who cares? Bottom line is they’re picking models to cast new molds. The fact that it’s not transparent why it’s not happening to all models doesn’t change the fact that there were DECADES where they made almost no attempt to make them look right. I mean hell, Gentry found 27 things wrong with the 03 WC3s and they still released them.

If they’re getting them closer because factory equipment has reached EOL it’s kind of irrelevant to me when they still come up short with the new specs that I think we both agree they undoubtedly have in exact OG form.

Also we saw them tweak the AJ2 mold this year compared to last years. Now they’re dropping 2s from the rotation so if it’s such a financial burden, why do it again months later? It invalidates your theory IMO. And that’s just one example. There have been others. The shape on the 8’s also changed this year and there’s little financial incentive on that one either. 85 highs have seen the mole change and it was a new mold a couple years ago.

These are such small financial costs for a company this size that I think you’re placing too much emphasis on the barriers to doing this. Iterative product releases in a mature market with minimal changes is a common marketing and sales tactic. This company is one step above “predatory” IMO, so driving sales by showing some modicum of commitment to quality and the customer but never quite getting there is too perfect for me to believe that’s not what they’re doing.
If I were you I'd give up debating with this guy. We've already named specific situations that contradict his blanket statements and he just returns with the same stuff.

If I were you I'd give up debating with this guy. We've already named specific situations that contradict his blanket statements and he just returns with the same stuff.
I think he’s absolutely correct in generalities about manufacturing and how decisions can get made around demand, technology, factory and equipment lifecycles, etc. Just think it’s obvious there are many, many examples of them altering shapes and molds, especially over the past 3-5 years.

From what I've seen there is more demand to return to OG form on Jordan retros because it's not just collectors asking, it's young people, influencers, celebrities, designers, etc.

I'm through with you, you've shown you don't know the recent history of this stuff we're talking about or you're acting like you don't know because it helps your argument.

I mean this respectfully you have a layman’s understanding of manufacturing. And just like most people would you’re filling in the blanks with logic to the best of your ability but you don’t know what you don’t know. The irony is I could walk you through another 1000 more manufacturing scenarios that perfectly mirror Nikes behavior over the past 30 years and it wouldn’t land because you no background or experience to contextualize. Without that you can’t even understand why what you proposed isnt a very probable explanation.

But hey maybe your finger on the pulse “from what you’ve seen” out weighs degreed professionals in the industry.

Just think it’s obvious there are many, many examples of them altering shapes and molds, especially over the past 3-5 years.

I keep addressing this and it just doesn’t seem to land. In the past 5 years Nike has scaled up production to the point that their goal for 2020 was to cut back on excess inventory. that level of growth I’d expect there to be changes in the product along the way to that goal. you can see the same thing happening to the Yeezy 350 v2 as they scaled up from short run limited releases to millions of pairs made across different factories in different countries.

If this type of stuff interests you, there’s plenty to read on it

Last edited:
frenchbreadbuilds frenchbreadbuilds you ain’t have to do folk like that…
IMG_1790.gif

So I went to Sneakercon in Fort Lauderdale and it was a shark infested situation for these. So Sneakercon did a retail drop for priority access ticket holders who bought there tickets back in November. It was a FCFS deal. So if you lined up and go to sneakercon as soon as the doors opened, you basically scored them with the priority ticket access. They had like 24 pairs. Any one else who showed up with priorty ticket later on just got a bag with a shirt. They were heated.

A kid bought a pair and 10 seconds later on the side sold the pair instantly. He made $250 on top of what he paid instantly. Sucks, it was my size too. Of course the resellers who setup tables that went in first, bought up all the stock before the general public can even make an attempt for other vendors. It was really bad when I tell you that all you saw was GR Stuff super inflated and dirty used travis sneakers going for $1500. The Same sneakers bought were trying to be sold for over $200.. so basically at $700.. What was the point of that? No one is paying $700 for these.. so stupid.

By the way, a kid was selling fake BRED 4's of which I had to tell the kid who was buying them that they were fake. I had no problem in putting these lil M#$%FU#r's on blast.

Cool sneaker, but patience will prevail.

So I went to Sneakercon in Fort Lauderdale and it was a shark infested situation for these. So Sneakercon did a retail drop for priority access ticket holders who bought there tickets back in November. It was a FCFS deal. So if you lined up and go to sneakercon as soon as the doors opened, you basically scored them with the priority ticket access. They had like 24 pairs. Any one else who showed up with priorty ticket later on just got a bag with a shirt. They were heated.

A kid bought a pair and 10 seconds later on the side sold the pair instantly. He made $250 on top of what he paid instantly. Sucks, it was my size too. Of course the resellers who setup tables that went in first, bought up all the stock before the general public can even make an attempt for other vendors. It was really bad when I tell you that all you saw was GR Stuff super inflated and dirty used travis sneakers going for $1500. The Same sneakers bought were trying to be sold for over $200.. so basically at $700.. What was the point of that? No one is paying $700 for these.. so stupid.

By the way, a kid was selling fake BRED 4's of which I had to tell the kid who was buying them that they were fake. I had no problem in putting these lil M#$%FU#r's on blast.

Cool sneaker, but patience will prevail.

Saw the video of this earlier. It's floating around online.

I don’t even identify as a sneakerhead anymore, the glory days are long gone. ‘03-09 was an amazing time to scour eBay, NT and ISS for Jordan heat for steal prices. Then ‘12-19 for finding dunks for dirt cheap. Now everybody’s a sneakerhead and the most basic stuff goes for inflated prices.

Sneaker conventions marked the turn of things going to sh*t in 2010-2012. When it turned into upper class suburban kids’ modern day version of the lemonade stand.

Someone that owns a pretty big name store in the Cincinnati area used to try to get me to go to those early ones with him. It was always a big "hell no" from the start for me lol. Zero interest. Ever. :lol:

Yeah I went to dunkxchange/sneakercon in NYC in that 2010-2012 time. I think admission was $5 or $10 back then. As a kid with no credit card and only cash, it was a good way to get some different ****. A few years later a friend asked me to go to sneakercon, maybe 2015 or 16. Price was like $25 to get in I said hell no Imma just pay shipping off ebay

I don’t think I’ve ever been to a sneaker convention

I could imagine it being dope in the older eras but now it’s littered with cornballs filming videos for clout
I made the mistake of going to one back in 2014. It’s hilariously corny. Bunch of fat dudes walking around, looking at people’s sneakers. Cornballs saying “for the culture” way too often. People selling whack T-shirts, trying to be the next Supreme. And of course, resellers. The funny part was the panel - where some nobodies come up and talk about their favorite sneaker release of the year.

To sum it up - it’s Niketalk, but in person.

I made the mistake of going to one back in 2014. It’s hilariously corny. Bunch of fat dudes walking around, looking at people’s sneakers. Cornballs saying “for the culture” way too often. People selling whack T-shirts, trying to be the next Supreme. And of course, resellers. The funny part was the panel - where some nobodies come up and talk about their favorite sneaker release of the year.

To sum it up - it’s Niketalk, but in person.
:lol: Post of the year so far

If any Seattle brothers want to try to get the SB 4's for retail, here is your chance. Get the priority Ticket tomorrow and line up early on the 24th of February and when you go into the convention look for the "Retail Drop" location. Keep asking them when they will drop the 4's and don't leave the area lol. They could drop them early or drop them later in the day. I know its First come First Serve.

P.S. if you happen to score a pair for retail and its a size 10.. if you want to resell it to me.. MY DM is open lol.

1704836386900.png

Back
Top Bottom