Nike Will No Longer Sell to Zappos, Dillard’s & These Big Retailers, Analyst Says

As it forges ahead with an intense focus on its Consumer Direct offense strategy, Nike will no longer sell to nine major wholesale accounts, according to Susquehanna Financial Group.

Analyst Sam Poser said in a note this afternoon that according to the company’s “proprietary checks,” Nike will cut ties with Belk, Dillard’s, Zappos, Boscov’s, Bob’s Stores, Fred Meyer, EBLens, VIM and City Blue.

“Nike’s decision to no longer sell to nine multi-branded wholesale accounts is positive for Nike, as it takes control of more of its own destiny,” Poser wrote. FN has reached out to Nike for comment

In its fourth-quarter conference call in June, Nike announced that it has begun the Consumer Direct Acceleration phase as part of its Consumer Direct Offense initiative, which was unveiled three years ago.

Nike plans to ramp up investments in e-commerce and technology, as well as simplify its “consumer construct” of men’s, women’s and kids’ businesses. It also intends to open up to 200 new smaller-format, digitally enabled stores across North America and Europe-Middle East-Africa countries.

Last month, the athletic giant also made a series of top leadership changes and revealed 500 corporate job cuts at is Beaverton, Ore. headquarters.

Even before the latest moves were enacted by new CEO John Donahoe — who stepped into the role last year — the company was overhauling its wholesale strategy and cutting ties with some long-term partners.

“With the amount of transformation [that’s happening], we have to be agile,” Heidi O’Neill told FN last year, when she was president of Nike Direct. (O’Neill was elevated to president of consumer and marketplace in February.) “We have to look for retailers who are investing in themselves and creating great consumer experiences because that is a part of partnerships — it can’t be Nike alone. Those partners and independents that have great followings — and there are cult-like followings behind some of our partners — we will stay with them. They make us better.”

In his note, Poser said that ****’s Sporting Goods, Hibbett Sports and Shoe Carnival should be the biggest beneficiaries of Nike’s decision to cut ties with other retailers — because of where they are located. It’s also a positive for Famous Footwear and DSW, Poser noted, and the shrinking number of distribution partners could also lift Foot Locker “to some degree.”

As I predicted years ago, Footlocker Footaction etc are not far behind.

I was going to say....pardon my ignorance but aren’t VIM and City Blue the only ones on there that are getting “heat”? I’ve been out of the game for awhile but places like Belk, Dillard’s, etc used to only get the basic joints. Might have changed but idk.

I was going to say....pardon my ignorance but aren’t VIM and City Blue the only ones on there that are getting “heat”? I’ve been out of the game for awhile but places like Belk, Dillard’s, etc used to only get the basic joints. Might have changed but idk.
vim & city blue are pretty much bottom of the barrel sneaker and clothing retailers

more like malls are dead and who buying shoes from bass pro shop?

As I predicted years ago, Footlocker Footaction etc are not far behind.

Footlocker and Footaction will in all likelihood be the very last ones to be dropped should Nike choose to sell straight to the consumer.

Currently they have retail presence which benefits Nike and their online shopping experience is quite good (for the most part).

Didn't realize Belk even sold Nike product, a few of those stores were struggling even before the pandemic. So I guess stores will have update the in store experience or risk losing Nikes business

I've said this since a bit after copper foams. A lot of mom n pops lost their accounts because they kept pushing ugly clothes on them and they couldn't keep up with their bills. Nike has enough factory stores to cut out the middle man. They'll keep boutiques for brand appeal.

Footlocker and Footaction will in all likelihood be the very last ones to be dropped should Nike choose to sell straight to the consumer.

Currently they have retail presence which benefits Nike and their online shopping experience is quite good (for the most part).
Malls are dying, and the one thing these stores offered was enabling Nike to have no leasing obligations in most malls and still being in every sneaker store (Mall) in the country. I can't speak to their online experience as I have never purchased via online but I must say that the in-store experience sucks at Footlocker and Footaction. Nobody wants to be pedaled shoe cleaner and shoe laces. Nike will drop them eventually to lock in the customer experience. Not only is Nike one of the best online shopping experiences that exists, they also have a great return policy and in-store experience.

Since Nike is cutting out the middle man, what is the chance that msrp for signature model releases are dropped?

(This is a rhetorical question)

I mean I’m kinda over kicks. I buy here and there. I ain’t stressing. I’ve been looking harder at adidas and new balance and like what they’re doing.

but the day Nike ya is their account with champs, FTL, FA, employees gonna be tight. :lol:

Maybe they should stop giving deals to everyone and their grandma to endorse their products. They will stop losing money then

KD and his 300 million dollar deal has entered the chat.

Back
Top Bottom