Nike Zoom Kobe V PROTRO - Dec 2019

Contrary to popular belief, Grinches weren't super rare. I would say they were a limited GR/quickstrike like the Chaos were. Online was pretty spotty for the OG Chaos just like the Protro Chaos.

Eastbay had the Grinches. Back in the day when you could call them and place phone orders on release day. It was an super easy cop if you knew about the phone orders. I just called over and over until someone picked up and then placed my order and went back to bed. I eventually sold mine back in 2015/2016 cause as nice as they were, they stood out way too much and just didn't look good with anything.

I'd argue Big Stages and Bruce Lees are more rare than Grinches.

All that said, I think Nike does release Protro Grinches but makes them a limited GR/quickstrike at best but probably a limited/hype drop.
If they released, the Grinches would have higher demand than any other Kobe protro that could release and would be an instant sellout regardless of stock numbers. It’s like the Jordan 11 Bred in terms of Jordans. They’d be silly not to raise production numbers.

If /when grinches come, Nike would be stupid to not release them sometime around December 1. They’re an iconic Christmas shoe. Chaos 5s are technically Christmas shoes and they should’ve released before Christmas imo but if they don’t do it with Grinches that’d be extra stupid

If /when grinches come, Nike would be stupid to not release them sometime around December 1. They’re an iconic Christmas shoe. Chaos 5s are technically Christmas shoes and they should’ve released before Christmas imo but if they don’t do it with Grinches that’d be extra stupid
Nike has been doing a lot of stupid things lately so I wouldn’t put it past them. But as long as they release I’ll be happy regardless.

I remember that Kobe 9 NRG release at Mercer was ridiculous. There was a line just to look at them lol.

I'm in for the grinch protros. Maybe we'd get a zoom strobel lol.

shiii im lucky if i get My legs back lol

my 2 cents...

from wat I remember as far as the fit n comfort...
These are a upgrade definitely...
They sit a lil higher cuz of the zoom turbo...
For me it broke in real quick n its snug in a good way...size 13 btw...if u love the Kyrie 6...you’ll be happy...

if your thinking about doubling up n still able to get it @ retail..its worth it or just wait for the other cw’s...
I hope nike learns their lesson n drop some laker cw’s especially AD rocking kobes...

hope this helps
To compare the two...which fit more snug? The protro Kobe 5 chaos or kyrie 6s?

Ok so I played in the chaos this morning (about 6 games) here’s some context and initial thoughts:

I had the OG Del Sol 5’s and they were great out of the box. My biggest gripe with them was that they bottomed out in roughly 2-3 months of play. So my expectation with a “performance retro” would be that the cushion doesn’t die nearly as fast and I guess an improvement in the materials because cushion aside, the OG’s were all around solid.

Protro 5’s
Traction: 10/10. I play on a fairly clean floor with low to moderate dust. I never had to wipe and I was stopping on a dime the entire morning.

Cushion: 8/10. This set up feels better than the OG’s but obviously the durability here remains to be seen. It doesn’t feel like there is heel zoom. To me it feels like a nice soft foam. Speculation about cushlon seems accurate but maybe it’s injected phylon. Whatever it is it’s very solid. The zoom turbo in the forefoot is solid, but I’d prefer a normal large volume zoom unit. For additional reference my favorite shoes to play in right now are the Protro 4’s that set up in my opinion is perfect, Full length zoom fiasco be damned.

Fit: 10/10.I went TTS with an 11.5 on these and the fit is like snug vagina. It feels outstanding. I couldn’t imagine sizing up on these. You feel perfectly locked in, no heel slip, no movement in the midfoot and my toes were able to splay comfortably as if I was wearing some New Balance 990’s. Outstanding fit.

Containment/Stability: 10/10. Your foot doesn’t have a chance to slide out of the footbed in these which is all you want in a hoop shoe. The outrigger is pretty substantial so you will feel secure in all of your movements on the court.

Materials: 7.5/10. I’m sure something changed here (people pointed out the cut of the shoes etc) but I honestly can’t tell much of a difference. If you’re gonna call it a Protro, make all improvements noticeable. I understand the if it ain’t broke don’t fix it logic, but for $180... come on Nike.

Overall these are great. It remains to be seen how the cushion holds up over time but these rank 2nd for me in the Kobe Protro series behind the 4’s but way ahead of the clunky 1’s. I’ll probably be looking to grab another pair of 4’s on discount before I look for another pair of 5’s but that’s just personal preference and not a knock on the 5’s.

Oh and $180 is too steep, these should be $150 MAX, but I’m content with my purchase.

Last edited:
Grinches weren't good if you didn't like the color but was good for profit that's why I got them :lol: I didn't ask for much though. I don't even wanna know how much a pair would fetch now. Nike did nail it with the theme though.
I'll do the same if they release again to fund other VI that release. :tongue:

Got em on SNKRS yesterday and drove to FTL on my lunch break and copped half size up after trying them on.

Half size up fit perfect and snug enough to accommodate my foot when I double sock for hooping. SNKRS pair which I went TTS will be for casual wear since Kobe 5s imo are one of the best looking kobes to rock casually with a variety of fits. Satisfied overall but price should be no more than $150-160 imo.

Haven't hooped in em yet. Because this old man is still stretching (40 and over league) lol

Last edited:
Me as soon as I get a pair
1578168871991.gif

Just left my HOH with a size 11. Happy to finally own a pair after missing out in the past :smokin

Back
Top Bottom