Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

I'm pretty sure the shoes in Hasay's photo are a Streak 6 upper with a VF midsole. From what I've heard on other message boards, it's a custom/prototype shoe for her, and not a public release.

Got my blue fox zf from NDC using savemore today... and gosh they are more gorgeous than i had imagined.

nike really killed it with ice blue, fox blue, bright crimson, and hyper royal

339F0D4A-B330-442A-8997-C0D9EAC42481.jpeg

They’re here!

I'm pretty sure the shoes in Hasay's photo are a Streak 6 upper with a VF midsole. From what I've heard on other message boards, it's a custom/prototype shoe for her, and not a public release.

The vaporfly 4% sole when finished being designed was tested with the Olympic rio colorway streak 6 upper by a ton of athletes like Jordan during the fall in 2016. The Streak 6 upper is really thin like the upper on the Vaporfly but it is tighter and feels more secure. I can see why Jordan would like to still use the Streak 6 upper for workouts, seeing she used the Streak 6 and the Vaporfly 4% prototype during her Boston training (She had theses customs during her Chicago training). But most athletes including Jordan still use the Vaporfly 4% final product because it's lighter and the upper allows enough space for when your feet expand during the Marathon.

I think the Vaporfly is a different story though, yes it's a racing shoes but there aren't some flats for sprints that not many would buy.

They put a lot into the marketing of this shoes, more so in a racing model in recent memory so I figure they want to sell as much as they want.

They made this as appealing to the public as possible and probably got people to buy these shoes and maybe try and run farther than they usually do.

And they actually are selling out unlike their other racers which is an accomplishment after their huge marketing push so I wouldn't say this is Nike typical racer shoes, not just in terms of performance but all the other ancillary things involved.

But really, this release has been a mess since the beginning with practically the first two colorways release getting pushed back 2-3 months.

The only thing I could think of is that the Vaporfly 4% is their marketing tool to promote and sell their other running shoes like Zoomfly and upcoming Pegasus Turbo, pretty much to say:

"hey, look at the Zoomfly, they look like the Vaporfly's that almost broke the 2hr marathon mark"

"hey, look at the Pegasus Turbo, it uses the ZoomX used in the Vaporfly's that almost broke the 2hr marathon mark"

Its
I think the Vaporfly is a different story though, yes it's a racing shoes but there aren't some flats for sprints that not many would buy.

They put a lot into the marketing of this shoes, more so in a racing model in recent memory so I figure they want to sell as much as they want.

They made this as appealing to the public as possible and probably got people to buy these shoes and maybe try and run farther than they usually do.

And they actually are selling out unlike their other racers which is an accomplishment after their huge marketing push so I wouldn't say this is Nike typical racer shoes, not just in terms of performance but all the other ancillary things involved.

But really, this release has been a mess since the beginning with practically the first two colorways release getting pushed back 2-3 months.

The only thing I could think of is that the Vaporfly 4% is their marketing tool to promote and sell their other running shoes like Zoomfly and upcoming Pegasus Turbo, pretty much to say:

"hey, look at the Zoomfly, they look like the Vaporfly's that almost broke the 2hr marathon mark"

"hey, look at the Pegasus Turbo, it uses the ZoomX used in the Vaporfly's that almost broke the 2hr marathon mark"
I think the marketing side of this has been really spot on....I think the durability of the shoe is what is in question....Im in NYC...and with the exception of the Nike Running Store in Flatiron and the one on the UPE...no other Nike outlets got this shoe.

Now I asked this question a few months back when I got them about the insole...and I went straight to Nike and was told, no, the insole should not be removed as these are considered RACE DAY only shoes....The DONT recommend these for training and put the disclaimer out there that these should be disposed of after 150 miles...

With all that being said, you cant target the larger market and sell them a product that is recommended by the manufacturer to not last...especially at that price point...

If you are a runner, or even somewhat interested in the sport, you most likely have different shoes for different things anyway....but there are many out there that would use the 4%'s ( if widely available) for a grocery store visit or to go to the Depot...

Then you know what would happen?? All these complaints about the soles shredding....them bottoming out etc....but how much of that is due to improper utilization of the shoe....or from the shoe not meeting durability expectations????

I currently only use the 4% on long runs or race day....I use the ZF and Epics for training....Now if they dont last past 100 miles....Id have an issue with paying $250 for a shoe that last such a short distance....

Again....this is the first shoe that Ive seen from Nike that is targeted specifically at runners both based on marketing, stockist, and availability.....

Its

I currently only use the 4% on long runs or race day....I use the ZF and Epics for training....Now if they dont last past 100 miles....Id have an issue with paying $250 for a shoe that last such a short distance....

I've logged 421.3 miles in my Ice Blue Vaporfly 4%. I've mostly been running in them on roads, pavement and the treadmill. Similar to you, I use them for speedwork, long runs, and races. I'm not jogging around in them or doing any dirt/trail runs in them. I do have a pair of Hyper Royal 4%'s that I'm now starting to rotate in, but these still feel really good. I plan to continue to runing in them for a while. I also have had no issues or tears in the upper either. It seems that the white covering of the foam is what shreds off fairly quickly, but the ZoomX foam itself, at least for me, has been wearing similarly to what I see in my other shoes. Here are some shots of the soles:

IMG_9671.JPG IMG_9669.JPG IMG_9666.JPG IMG_9663.JPG IMG_9672.JPG

If I can contribute with an update to my pair... it's hit 171 miles, and it seems like the responsiveness is dying down. That bounce I'd usually feel is gone, but the foam is still sturdy. It's a difference of bottoming out versus losing responsiveness. Right now, it's just losing responsiveness, but I am still able to go on my runs with no problems with them on.

I feel like failing expectations is something Nike probably doesn't concern themselves with too much.

I mean they advertised the retro AJXVs with a zoom bag (or some sort of cushioning) and it had none, at least with the VFs it is actual wear and tear for the materials and not neglect or on purpose.

Yea the foam on the bottom of my pair is starting to shred but the responsiveness is still really good so I consider it just asetitics so no big deal....

rfx45 rfx45 the problem with that comparison is retro's aren't targeted at the Basketball athlete they are more for lifestyle...the new numbered Jordans and by extension Team Jordan's are built for performance with very specific Tech...

This is a running shoe made for runners...

to me the comparison works because it is false advertising vs not putting the information on the shoes but both would fail expectations which Nike at times doesn't seem to care

ugh, I just wish Nikes more transparent about these releases

^^ Is it me or Solebox cannot tell the difference between Vapor Street and Vapor Elite.

So what’s peoples consensus on this shoe? I want to cop out of our curiosity of performance. To be honest though I haven’t seen a colorway that’s really sold me, but that might just be because of the look of the shoe hasn’t sold me.

Regardless I think I might cop. Sizing anyone? Tia

^^ Is it me or Solebox cannot tell the difference between Vapor Street and Vapor Elite.

and react :lol:

i just noticed they called it: NIKE React Vaporfly Elite

but what if the streets does have react instead of zoomx?

that would be very interesting but chances are it's just their mistake

and react :lol:

i just noticed they called it: NIKE React Vaporfly Elite

but what if the streets does have react instead of zoomx?

that would be very interesting but chances are it's just their mistake

The vapor street does have react technology not zoomx. Not sure why they titled it elites though

Ray, you should get the Vapor Street Flyknits, and then get the sole swap to happen with the ZoomX midsole from the Vaporfly :wow:

...but then you'd lose the bottom portion of the swoosh since its on the sole. AH, just sharpie it in! LOL

Back
Top Bottom