Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

now, i'm contemplating these with them in my cart

got a GC ive been holding onto that covers more than half the cost but wanted to use these for the Peg Turbo's

was gon' do that or wait for the flyknit but i figure its easy enough to return... if nike lets me to buy them that is

Capture.PNG
NDC being dumb
worked on my desktop just now but sizes are already gone. Wouldn't let me cart a 10.5 :frown:
Inventory going up/down and all around

for once the snkrs options would have been the better route for this :lol:

they should have just put it there because it's more seamless

Had my size 10 sitting in cart on the + app, so I copped them because I've long been curious to try running in the 4%. I know I should return them and wait for a new version with less swoosh or an interesting collab/edition (like the NYC or Off-White Zoom Flys) that I'll find more appealing, but Nike's return policy made the Obsidians too tempting. Ugh.

huge difference

4%'s zoomX feels like a softer but bouncier (?) and even lighter react

i have to log more miles on my epic react

huge difference

4%'s zoomX feels like a softer but bouncier (?) and even lighter react

i have to log more miles on my epic react

Saving my 4% for a marathon...which shoe should I train in?
I've been training in Flyknit Racers, but definitely not enough cushion. I'm nervous that if I pick up a heavier silhouette, then it'll affect training times.

I've been training in Flyknit Racers, but definitely not enough cushion. I'm nervous that if I pick up a heavier silhouette, then it'll affect training times.

If you'll be racing in the VF 4%, Zoom Fly would be a good option for faster stuff or long runs in training. Both the VF and ZF have a similar build - higher stack height, slight rocker, added firmness w/ the plate(s), etc. Though the VF as mentioned is much softer, more responsive, and lighter, running in the ZF will at least get you used to how the VF will feel so it isn't as much of a shock if you're coming from wearing flats. I used to do speed in Streaks (3, 5, 6, skipped the 4s). Felt much more beat up after running in those. Prob similar to how you feel in your Flyknit Racers. If that's what I was training in and went straight to the VF for my race, they would've felt really weird to me I think.

For easier running and recovery, wear whatever is the most comfortable to you! You don't need to feel fast on those runs. Pegasus, react, flynkit trainers, even Zoom Flys. Doesn't matter. Make sure you feel good. Personally I've been having a hard time NOT doing my easy runs in epic reacts, the cushioning just feels so good to me (could care less for the flyknit upper though).

Edit: Last fall I ran my first marathon in VF 4% (first in VF at least, my 16th marathon). Leading up to that marathon, I did almost all of my training in Zoom Fly. I ran a couple tempo runs in the VF% as well as an early fall half marathon in them. Prior to that I was pretty much a Streak/Pegasus runner.

Last edited:
I do the bulk of my training in Vomero's ( now the Epic Reacts), I do my speed work/race in the Zoom Elite 9. I can't say my times suffer from using the heavier Vomero.

If you'll be racing in the VF 4%, Zoom Fly would be a good option for faster stuff or long runs in training. Both the VF and ZF have a similar build - higher stack height, slight rocker, added firmness w/ the plate(s), etc. Though the VF as mentioned is much softer, more responsive, and lighter, running in the ZF will at least get you used to how the VF will feel so it isn't as much of a shock if you're coming from wearing flats. I used to do speed in Streaks (3, 5, 6, skipped the 4s). Felt much more beat up after running in those. Prob similar to how you feel in your Flyknit Racers. If that's what I was training in and went straight to the VF for my race, they would've felt really weird to me I think.

For easier running and recovery, wear whatever is the most comfortable to you! You don't need to feel fast on those runs. Pegasus, react, flynkit trainers, even Zoom Flys. Doesn't matter. Make sure you feel good. Personally I've been having a hard time NOT doing my easy runs in epic reacts, the cushioning just feels so good to me (could care less for the flyknit upper though).

Great tips! Thanks! I'll pick up a pair of ZF now since they're discounted. Will give the Epic React a try when those hit discount too.

Do VF4 require break in? I was thinking of wearing them 100 miles prior to the marathon just to get used to it and "break them in"

ZoomFly for training, VaporFly for race day

ZoomFly is heavier by maybe 2-3 ounces (same difference between ZF and VF) but it does have a plate and are more cushioned (though the forefoot zoom on the racers might be better for some)

i think there's a day for both, when taking it easy on longer runs, the heavier ZFs might be good, for race-pace days, maybe the racers

but I think the benefit of running in the ZFs is to get used to that plate, when i first ran in them my calves was sore, to be fair it somewhat changed my form by making me land on my forefoot more (might be subconsciously trying to preserve the shoes and getting ready for the VFs) but i'd definitely give a run or two in the VFs before race day

this is mostly based on personal experience and may not pertain to everyone

Do VF4 require break in? I was thinking of wearing them 100 miles prior to the marathon just to get used to it and "break them in"

i think 100 miles prior is too much, many are getting 250 miles max on the shoes (though it could last 500 miles too depending on what kind of striker you are)

just get a feel for it so you have an idea on what it's like to run in them and in case it might not work for your feet, maybe there's a problem with the shoes, any issues you may not want to find out the shoes has during race day

i think 100 miles prior is too much, many are getting 250 miles max on the shoes (though it could last 500 miles too depending on what kind of striker you are)

just get a feel for it so you have an idea on what it's like to run in them and in case it might not work for your feet, maybe there's a problem with the shoes, any issues you may not want to find out the shoes has during race day

I would agree with that. 100mi is too much. They don't need much breaking in. Just do one or two quality sessions in them. Maybe race paced runs, just so you know how they feel at the pace you plan on running. I would never toe the line with a shoe I've never run in!! Personally I did a tempo run in mine, felt great. Then ran a half in them. One more tempo, then wore them for my full marathon. So I had like 20-25'ish miles on them before the big race

My first impression when I took them OOTB was, “WOW”!

Regarding fit, these are LONG. I’m glad that I ordered two sizes for comparison. They fit big, so going 1/2 down is the best fit for me. I still had a good amount of allowance (a thumbs width) between the front of my big toe to the front of the shoe. I have narrow to normal foot width.

Pics for reference:
F2BC8FDE-6BB0-4152-BE6E-208794A1EE0C.jpeg
VSF: 1/2 down vs. VF 1/2 up

9C579FE0-F6D1-438A-A767-8519D2AB5370.jpeg
VSF 1/2 down vs. FKR 1/2 up

62674F2F-A55B-4A75-B9C8-D257215B6571.jpeg
VSF 1/2 down vs. ZF 1/2 up

2998C6BD-9FB3-4F9A-92C6-9E6A84F20AC5.jpeg
VSF 1/2 down vs. LE TTS

We have very similar feet haha. .5 half down was perfect for me, but I agree that I maybe could’ve squeezed into another down if I wanted my toe to be at the very end. But I like a little bit of space. I’ve been wearing these shoes nonstop. I love them look of them with pants and shorts, and they are extremely comfortable

crazy at the difference in sizing

i also size up half on the zoomfly and have to size up half for the streets while you're practically a whole size down

crazy at the difference in sizing

i also size up half on the zoomfly and have to size up half for the streets while you're practically a whole size down

Yeah its insane, I half size up the streets and full size up on the zooms.

Was looking at RW all day and of course just now missed a 10.5 there

Last edited:
i think the pliable flyknit plays a factor, it kind of pushes your foot forward (or it wants to) while the shoes midsole is elongated and the heel extends farther

then it is looks narrow with tapering to the toe from the aerial view

so far my sizing in this line:

VF: 9.5
ZF: 10
VS: 10
SP: 10.5

Was looking at RW all day and of course just now missed a 10.5 there for the $225 with runblog10 discount...:rofl:

was monitoring that all morning too while NDC was screwing with me, they deliver free overnight to me too but i get charged tax but would have still been below retail

plus they give free stickers

I would agree with that. 100mi is too much. They don't need much breaking in. Just do one or two quality sessions in them. Maybe race paced runs, just so you know how they feel at the pace you plan on running. I would never toe the line with a shoe I've never run in!! Personally I did a tempo run in mine, felt great. Then ran a half in them. One more tempo, then wore them for my full marathon. So I had like 20-25'ish miles on them before the big race

Do you go same size for the ZF and VF? I have seen some mention 1/2 down for VF? I have normal foot (not wide or narrow) if that makes a difference?

Went to try on SPs for first time and thought I was trippin when I had to go a full size up from my fk trainer/racer size

Was looking at RW all day and of course just now missed a 10.5 there for the $225 with runblog10 discount...:rofl:

RW was really late to the party today!! I gave up on them. Fleet Feet and Nike got things started and I got what I wanted from there. Wish I would've waited on RW because they've got the best discounts and their shipping is always super fast

Back
Top Bottom