Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

Mine came on Thursday. It looked like they were stuck in Frankfurt but then earlier in the week, I think Sunday night or Monday, it said they had arrived and been processed by customs on Chicago. They fit exactly like the ZF FK. Upper is super comfy.
Is your VF size the same as your Peg/Peg Turbo size?

I only walked around the house in them, but there wasn’t any noticeable difference in weight. The Flyknit upper is identical to the new ZF, which I’m really liking!

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you put some miles in the VF. I put in a few decent runs in the new ZF and they are breaking in nicely.

Fingers crossed that my local running store gets the VF on the 4th or I can get them at the Chi marathon expo.

been reading here for a bit, but first time actually feeling the need to post....my local store just got the VF's in stock (but not letting people leave with them until the 4th). I went and tried them on and ended up going half a size up. The 7's and 7.5's felt almost identical, but it made more sense to get a little bit more room if it was that close. Strangely enough I almost feel like the size 7's in the new ZF's I have are a little bit bigger. Probably all in my head, but they were damn close.

Yes, 10.5 for all of the above. But I rarely ever go up or down. If I were to wear the ZF2 casually, I might think about going .5 up. The FK isn’t super tight, but snug enough that after awhile it might get to me. Perfect for running though.
Awesome! Thanks. My VFs should be arriving from Japan on Monday. Super excited to try them out.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts once you put some miles in the VF. I put in a few decent runs in the new ZF and they are breaking in nicely.

Fingers crossed that my local running store gets the VF on the 4th or I can get them at the Chi marathon expo.

Kofuzi posted a YouTube video on the day that he grabbed the ZF FK and the Nike store he was at in Chicago had a display wall of the VF FK, just not for sale yet. So if you’re in the Chicago area on the 4th, maybe other places other than the expo will have it too.

Yes, 10.5 for all of the above. But I rarely ever go up or down. If I were to wear the ZF2 casually, I might think about going .5 up. The FK isn’t super tight, but snug enough that after awhile it might get to me. Perfect for running though.

We are the same size... That knowledge could come in handy in the future. Lol

Kofuzi posted a YouTube video on the day that he grabbed the ZF FK and the Nike store he was at in Chicago had a display wall of the VF FK, just not for sale yet. So if you’re in the Chicago area on the 4th, maybe other places other than the expo will have it too.

The only problem is I won’t be in Chi until the 6th. I’m definitely concerned that they could run out of inventory at the Nike store or at the expo between the 4th and 5th. My ideal situation would be to pick up my pair from Philly Runner before I fly out to Chi.

20180920001026_original.jpg

20180920001029_original.jpg

41278366_475356929642579_1238617828135945523_n.jpg
This CW can’t launch soon enough!

This CW can’t launch soon enough!

First post here to share that I actually picked up a pair of these this morning in Melbourne, Australia (Northlands shopping centre in case anyone is interested). After going to two different retailers yesterday that had no stock, I randomly stumbled upon the grey/white/red colourway this morning. It's a bit strange because not even the black/orange colourway is up on Nike Australia online store. Sadly none of the retailers was able to tell me much about the VF except that they are supposedly exclusive to the online store.

Side-note, these are so much livelier/springier than the original ZFs, it's a pretty amazing feeling!

I'm surprised that the ZF flyknit is heavier than the original. I thought that react was lighter than lunarion? If so, the flyknit upper must be heavier than the engineered mesh. Does this mean that the VF2 is also heavier than the VF1 ( real weight not nike figures!)?

The reason why the Zoomfly flyknit (2) is slightly heavier than the first Zoomfly is due to the sole. The reason why is that the lunar found in Zoomfly 1 is lighter than React.

But isn't React lighter than Lunar?

Well yes and no. React is lighter than the Lunar found in the lunarepic 2. But the Lunar used as a carrier in the Zoomfly 1 was a newer type that is lighter than react.

For those wondering the new flyknit upper on the Zoomfly & 4% is lighter than the mesh uppers.

Second run in these bad boys today

Waiting until I a long run, which should be tomorrow, to give my overall amateur review

I forgot which individual mentioned the heel slip about these but they were spot on. Noticed it within the first 200m of a run. Ended up have to do the top lace lock on these.

6AD25C69-F269-48E9-9E2B-6A906B0B98CB.jpeg

^ You went TTS?

I just noticed the tongue area of that ZF2 cw is Black, and I think Black laces would set them off right! I hope there’ll be more cws with Black tongues.

Last edited:
Second run in these bad boys today

Waiting until I a long run, which should be tomorrow, to give my overall amateur review

I forgot which individual mentioned the heel slip about these but they were spot on. Noticed it within the first 200m of a run. Ended up have to do the top lace lock on these.

6AD25C69-F269-48E9-9E2B-6A906B0B98CB.jpeg

I mentioned the heel slip earlier but after about 4 runs or 30+ miles, it goes away. It’s almost like your heel has to break down and sink into the react foam. That seems to be the case for me.

Last edited:
So I went to try in a pair of ZF V1 at Nike to check sizing for V2. I tried size US 8,5 and 9 and due to the carbon infused plate it felt like the 9 was the clear choice to prevent black nail and other discomforts.

As soon as they were available I ordered the crimson VF 4% (from Runnerspoint) and black/grey ZF V2 (from Zalando) both in US 9.

The VF 4% turned up first at it was available a little bit sooner. I immediately noticed a few things: heel slip, top part creasing when tightening the laces to try and prevent the heel slip (although tightening further down the “tounge” isn’t necessary with the FK upper) and the extremely narrow mid foot which made it feel like I was standing on top of the inside line of the sole if that makes sense?

When the ZF V2 arrived (again, in the same size) I noticed much less heel slip. Barely any tbh. A wider mid foot that felt much more comfortable and less creasing on the upper when tightening the laces (maybe due to the lack of actually doing so because of almost no heel slip?).

I should add that I tried both shoes with 3-4 various types of socks.

I have size US 8,5 arriving in both to compare and make sure I make the right decision but yeah, I didn’t expect them to feel that much different if at all size wise.

I’ll be back with my verdict next week.

^ You went TTS?

I just noticed the tongue area of that ZF2 cw is Black, and I think Black laces would set them off right! I hope there’ll be more cws with Black tongues.

I’m a 10.5 in all running shoes and anything with Flyknit material. I could go to an 11 with these ZF FK’s but that may be a bit loose and I like the feel of these. Theyre not tight or constricting but it secures your foot in a way that’s comfortable.

Otherwise, I’m a 10 in casual/lifestyle shoes (air max 1/90/93/95/180, blazer, etc)

Last edited:
Had some time on my hands this morning before the kids woke up and was curious about the weight comparison between ZF & ZF FK.

DeletedCSaccount DeletedCSaccount mentioned on the previous page why the ZF FK would slightly weigh more but to my surprise they weighed the same.

I placed the shoe on an envelope and made sure to zero out the scale with it prior to placing the shoe on it.

With the envelope
C6353B0B-9736-4630-B484-BCE0D569DE8C.jpeg

Without
B6B6E4B8-5506-45EB-BFBA-E1923BCB3AFE.jpeg

Now both shoes
2D699DE9-BAFF-41B5-8C1C-50313909B9F8.jpeg
742AA4B1-11C3-4AF6-8625-35FC566F9831.jpeg

I actually use the scale for my IIFYM weekly regimen so I didn’t want to place the sole on it. My OCD still had me cleaning it afterwards lol

If anyone has a scale, time and both ZF’s, please feel free to give it a try. Curious what you come up with.

Last edited:
Snagged a pair of the Black/White Zoom Fly Flyknits from Zalando (Thanks to the guy that shared that). Arrived on Friday gone.

They feel great. Can't compare to the original ZF, but vs the ZF SP I have the comfort/response of the React can be felt. Even managed to match my 5km PB in them at a Park Run.

I've been running in the Epic React and Zoom Fly SPs, so these are honestly a happy middle-of the-road pair.

This weekend, I was able to put a 13-mile run into the Vaporfly 4% Flyknit's that I got last week. I'm prepping for the Chi Marathon and wanted to get a little time in them before the race to make sure that I felt good wearing them on race day.

Overall, the ride is identical to the original version (and it had been a while since I wore a fresh pair..my current training pair has about 150 miles on them, so they are starting to lack the pop) and they felt great, as usual. Nothing new or sensations to get used to, which was a relief.

For the updated flyknit upper, they were nearly identical to the first wear and first run in the Epic React Flyknit, where I initailly doubted my sizing, but after a few miles, I could already tell that the shoes had opened up a bit. I especially felt that the toebox area was more snug than version 1, but again, after my run, I had no doubts that going true to size was the way to go.

Two areas of watchout:

1) The night before I ran, I noticed that the insoles were removable and started to take them out to tuck the sizing tag underneath as I hate how they come up on the inside of the foot...on closer look, they soles are NOT supposed to be removable, I think it was just a lack of glue which made them loose. About 10 miles into my run, I thought that both of my socks had problems and once I got home and took off my shoes, I noticed that both insoles - from about midfoot back - had started becoming crooked in the shoe (identical, but not as bad as Eliud's issue at the 2015 Berlin Marathon). I HAVE to fix this before race day and plan to use shoe glue or gorilla glue to keep them in place.

2) Heel slippage was noticeable for the first mile or two, but to be honest, I had read another review about this being an issue and was a bit more aware than I would usually be. The problem was short-lived and I don't foresee any problems, but I thought I'd share.

Overall, I really love the flyknit update, especially with the one-piece tongue (much softer than V1) and lacing system that extends further over your foot, giving a much more secure feel.

IMG_4853.png

This weekend, I was able to put a 13-mile run into the Vaporfly 4% Flyknit's that I got last week. I'm prepping for the Chi Marathon and wanted to get a little time in them before the race to make sure that I felt good wearing them on race day.

Overall, the ride is identical to the original version (and it had been a while since I wore a fresh pair..my current training pair has about 150 miles on them, so they are starting to lack the pop) and they felt great, as usual. Nothing new or sensations to get used to, which was a relief.

For the updated flyknit upper, they were nearly identical to the first wear and first run in the Epic React Flyknit, where I initailly doubted my sizing, but after a few miles, I could already tell that the shoes had opened up a bit. I especially felt that the toebox area was more snug than version 1, but again, after my run, I had no doubts that going true to size was the way to go.

Two areas of watchout:

1) The night before I ran, I noticed that the insoles were removable and started to take them out to tuck the sizing tag underneath as I hate how they come up on the inside of the foot...on closer look, they soles are NOT supposed to be removable, I think it was just a lack of glue which made them loose. About 10 miles into my run, I thought that both of my socks had problems and once I got home and took off my shoes, I noticed that both insoles - from about midfoot back - had started becoming crooked in the shoe (identical, but not as bad as Eliud's issue at the 2015 Berlin Marathon). I HAVE to fix this before race day and plan to use shoe glue or gorilla glue to keep them in place.

2) Heel slippage was noticeable for the first mile or two, but to be honest, I had read another review about this being an issue and was a bit more aware than I would usually be. The problem was short-lived and I don't foresee any problems, but I thought I'd share.

Overall, I really love the flyknit update, especially with the one-piece tongue (much softer than V1) and lacing system that extends further over your foot, giving a much more secure feel.

IMG_4853.png

Excellent review!

One question: Are they as noisy on footstrike as the original 4%? I'm a quiet runner and the original 4% makes me sound like a T-Rex stomping through the woods. My pair just arrived this morning and the first thing that I noticed from a cursory look is that the foam seems to be a little less spongy as the original version. Does it seem that way to you?

Excellent review!

One question: Are they as noisy on footstrike as the original 4%? I'm a quiet runner and the original 4% makes me sound like a T-Rex stomping through the woods. My pair just arrived this morning and the first thing that I noticed from a cursory look is that the foam seems to be a little less spongy as the original version. Does it seem that way to you?

They didn't sound any different to me, to be honest. I think I know the sound you're talking about thought - that sort of hollow-foamy sound? As far as the ZoomX, I think it feels (in hand) less spongy as it now has those indentation lines, which I assume are to help with creasing. Once on foot, they still feel amazing as usual :smile:

Two areas of watchout:

IMG_4853.png
Great review! Sorry about your insole problem, hope you get that sorted out before the race.

P.S. Are those the Flex Stride 2-in-1 (5") shorts? My favourite shorts :smile:

Back
Top Bottom