Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

and i want to know how it feels to run in the viperflys

im imagining something like stilts on a smaller scale

1580939790878.png

62E92BA4-973A-4187-BD17-6760F6CD179C.png

Been meaning to ask — what’s that on Kipchoge’s forearm?

Optical based HR monitor arm band. Carrie Dimoff (Bowerman TC) wore the exact same armband at the world championships marathon and she was asked what the armband was and she confirmed it is a HR monitor.

damnit

first time zf/vf came out, i spent a ton and really took a break and havent even gotten a pair of zf3 or next%

looks like im gon be back to spending like the first gen xf/vf again and imma need those gyakusous too

just glad they arent making sp‘s anymore, i think i got a dozen or more pairs of those

and things arent even getting any cheaper

damnit

first time zf/vf came out, i spent a ton and really took a break and havent even gotten a pair of zf3 or next%

looks like im gon be back to spending like the first gen xf/vf again and imma need those gyakusous too

just glad they arent making sp‘s anymore, i think i got a dozen or more pairs of those

and things arent even getting any cheaper

Wait what?! I thought you already owned both of those models lol

:rofl:

1580952160444.gif

this is a good read btw:

his scenario had nike asked for permission to make the vf...

Here’s how I imagine the conversation would have gone in that scenario, circa 2016:

Nike: We’ve got an amazing new shoe, and we want to make sure it follows the rules.

IAAF: Okay, shoot. Why is this shoe different from all other shoes?

Nike: Well, for starters, it has a full-length curved carbon-fiber plate embedded in the midsole.

IAAF: You mean like the one in Paul Tergat’s Fila Racers when he set the marathon world record back in 2003?

Nike: Sort of. But more like the one in Haile Gebrselassie’s world-record-setting Adidas ProPlate shoes. In fact, our new shoe was designed by a guy who did his PhD with the guy who designed Adidas’s carbon-fiber plate. In a side-by-side test, you’d have trouble guessing which plate was which.

IAAF: Okay, well, given that several other companies in addition to Fila and Adidas have produced shoes with carbon-fiber plates, we don’t see any reason to suddenly decide there’s something unfair about them.

Nike: Hang on, there’s another thing. The midsole is made from a new foam material we call ZoomX that’s both lighter and more resilient than previous foams, meaning it springs back with each stride to give you back more energy.

IAAF: You mean like Adidas’s Boost foam, which they boasted in 2013 had “the highest energy return in the running industry” and which produced a couple of marathon world records by Wilson Kipsang and Dennis Kimetto? Or the subsequent Boost Light, which combined high resilience with even lower weight?

Nike: Yeah, pretty much. Boost was about 10 percent better than previous midsole foams, returning about 75 percent of the energy you put in. ZoomX is another 10 percent better than Boost.

IAAF: Okay, that doesn’t seem like a deal-breaker. Anything else?

Nike: Yeah, the third key innovation is that we’re going to have a super-thick midsole, almost like platform shoes.

IAAF: Um... ever heard of Hoka?

Nike: Yeah, well, we’re not going to make it that thick. But close.

IAAF: Okay, then I think we’re good. Your three “innovations” sound like you’re just rehashing ideas that have been used in running shoes without controversy for years, if not decades.

Nike: But here’s the thing: we’ve got the mix just right. These shoes are way better than any previous shoe. They’ll improve your running economy by four percent. They’re going to annihilate every world record in the book!

IAAF: [sound of prolonged laughter in the background, then speakerphone is switched off and the laughter is disguised as a cough] Of course, of course. They sound wonderful. Put it all in the press release, I’m sure it’ll be a big hit. No worries on our end.

This month is nuts: AlphaFly, TS Dunks, SL Dunks, Plum Dunks, OW Jordan 5s, reverse BREDs. I’ll probably strike out on everything.

2012 Olympic s was all about the Flyknits and Nike built on that platform.

2020 is all about the Alphafly and the running tech.

I don’t remember anything about 2016 lol

i want to say no since its a $200 shoe

no one has confirmed the zf’s returning but i dont think they can discontinue the turbos, not everyone wants to run with a plate or zoom or both

plus nike needs something in the $150-$180 range that zf/turbo occupies, they need a takedown model and i really would not consider a $200 a takedown

If I’m spending $180 on the Turbos another $20 is nothing.

Hard to call a $180 daily training shoe a takedown. Either way one of the 2 or even both seem to be on way out.

Back
Top Bottom