Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

Attachments

• vaporfly.jpg
    vaporfly.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 8
I've logged nearly 50 miles in my Vaporfly 4%'s and do have some insight as to the exposed midsole deterioration for anyone interested.

I spoke with a rep at Running Warehouse that confirmed they've seen this issue across most of their wear-testers where the exposed ZoomX foam's paint does start coming off after the first few runs.

In looking at the wear on my shoes, the ZoomX foam is completely in tact and has not worn off or chipped away as pictures would make you think, but I do have a lot of the paint/finish peeling off the bottom. I'm not sure if it's the bending of the sole during walks/runs or not a strong enough white paint/finish material on the ZoomX, but the "wear" is just the paint coming off, exposing the true color of the ZoomX, which looks to be a light tan or beige colorway.

If you check out pics of the Zoom Vaporfly Elite worn by the Breaking2 runners (see pic below), it's sole is more off-white (shoutout to Virgil) than compared to the retail versions. I would assume because of the paint-chipping issue, Nike didn't apply any sort of paint to those versions. Just my .02.

I'm in no way justifying the problem as after spending $250 on a shorter-lifespan running shoe, you want it to hold up, but for those of you who are interested, that's what I've seen in my experience.

Last edited:
pics aren't working

but my own theory on the paint chipping is that the rubber might be too porous for paint to attach properly so it flakes off easily, dying it might affect the rubbers pliability/performance

this was also my initial thought when boost first came out and it took them a while before they releases them painted and up to this point, they only have the midsole painted and no actual colored boost iirc

I think maybe because the upper half of the midsoles painted and leaving the bottom unpainted might look weird?

I still think Nike should have just extended the hard black rubber layer all the way to the edge of the heels. I just don't buy that it's to save weight argument as an extra fifth of an ounce per pair is a good sacrifice to maybe double or triple the life of the sole.

NikeLA has this training going on they are calling "Break Through" which I guess they encourage people to make their PRs, I think they give you a training regimen and then record your run in December.

https://www.nike.com/us/en_us/e/cities/losangeles

If you got the ZFs at Santa Monica or the Grove this past Sunday, you got a unique box and a Nike Sharpie so you can write your PR on the sole.

21980426_120034885375228_3553085547578654720_n.jpg

It's pretty awesome to have events like this, I know it's promotion and you need to buy the ZFs or Pegasus to sign up I think but it's cool nonetheless.

EVENT SUMMARY

Nobody ever got big dreaming small.

At Nike Running, we believe that if you want something all you have to do is run towards it. This December, we are giving LA runners the platform to put their goals to the test — an epic 5K time trial designed for runners who are ready to break barriers and shatter their personal records.

Pick up a pair of Nike Zoom footwear at Nike Santa Monica or Nike The Grove and join us for a special Just Do It. Sunday on 12.3, as we inspire the world to Break Through and achieve their (seemingly) impossible goals.

Oreo sp's are smaller/tighter than the OG Sp, tried both on last night. Both are smaller than tighter than the zoom fly or vapor fly. What's strange is Nike says my true fit on the zoom fly is 11 but then they say my fit on the vapor fly is 10...FYI I wear a 10 in about everything Vapormax, Vapor fly and zoom fly .

I think the Greys are my favorite cw for the ZFs right now. I also prefer the aesthetics of the ZFs over the VFs. However, there's a clear distinction in how each feels though.

Oreo sp's are smaller/tighter than the OG Sp, tried both on last night. Both are smaller than tighter than the zoom fly or vapor fly. What's strange is Nike says my true fit on the zoom fly is 11 but then they say my fit on the vapor fly is 10...FYI I wear a 10 in about everything Vapormax, Vapor fly and zoom fly .

To be fair to nike I have a uk 10 for all my nike (Pegesus, streak 6, both Zoomfly SP, etc)..but I find a 9.5 Vaporfly fits me better than a size 10

definitely. it's so weird. not sure why. I honestly think the recommendation for the oreo zoom fly SP is full size up.

I've logged nearly 50 miles in my Vaporfly 4%'s and do have some insight as to the exposed midsole deterioration for anyone interested.

I spoke with a rep at Running Warehouse that confirmed they've seen this issue across most of their wear-testers where the exposed ZoomX foam's paint does start coming off after the first few runs.

In looking at the wear on my shoes, the ZoomX foam is completely in tact and has not worn off or chipped away as pictures would make you think, but I do have a lot of the paint/finish peeling off the bottom. I'm not sure if it's the bending of the sole during walks/runs or not a strong enough white paint/finish material on the ZoomX, but the "wear" is just the paint coming off, exposing the true color of the ZoomX, which looks to be a light tan or beige colorway.

If you check out pics of the Zoom Vaporfly Elite worn by the Breaking2 runners (see pic below), it's sole is more off-white (shoutout to Virgil) than compared to the retail versions. I would assume because of the paint-chipping issue, Nike didn't apply any sort of paint to those versions. Just my .02.

I'm in no way justifying the problem as after spending $250 on a shorter-lifespan running shoe, you want it to hold up, but for those of you who are interested, that's what I've seen in my experience.

To back all of that information up, that big chipped piece of the foam that happened to the rear of my shoe (that I posted a while back) has had no effect on it. It looks like a given that the white part is just extra paint or something wrapped onto it, and that it was bound to rip. ****, it doesn't matter to me if I can still run on an 8:11/mi - 8:25/mi basis like I was doing before the heel was ripping off.

Back
Top Bottom