Nike's lack of support for the Canadian Market

What up Canadian NT'er?!?!?!?!  

As Im sure you are all aware, Nike does not allow Canadian residents to purchase of nikestore.com and they rarely include us in any Limited releases.   What can we do about this???  Have any of you been successful in ordering over the phone from NDC???  I have spoken to Nike reps and they say we can order over the phone and have shipped to American residents but has anyone tried this and succeeded???

Nike's gotta step and help out the canadian sneakerhead community..............I remember when I was growing up that every major release was available at any local Champs or FTL, nowadays were lucky to get some GR's I.E. Foams, Penny's, Some of the Lebron and Kobe CW's etc.

Voice your opinion and lets find a way to get our kicks at Canadian retailers and avoid rapeBay!!!

What up Canadian NT'er?!?!?!?!  

As Im sure you are all aware, Nike does not allow Canadian residents to purchase of nikestore.com and they rarely include us in any Limited releases.   What can we do about this???  Have any of you been successful in ordering over the phone from NDC???  I have spoken to Nike reps and they say we can order over the phone and have shipped to American residents but has anyone tried this and succeeded???

Nike's gotta step and help out the canadian sneakerhead community..............I remember when I was growing up that every major release was available at any local Champs or FTL, nowadays were lucky to get some GR's I.E. Foams, Penny's, Some of the Lebron and Kobe CW's etc.

Voice your opinion and lets find a way to get our kicks at Canadian retailers and avoid rapeBay!!!

Yeah, it's always been like this and probably will stay the same for a long time. It's always been a pain in the #$% to order things from the states.

Yeah, it's always been like this and probably will stay the same for a long time. It's always been a pain in the #$% to order things from the states.

It would save me a lot of time and energy if we did get the stuff we wanted, but maybe it doesn't make sense for Nike.
Maybe the customs and taxes financially prevents Nike from accommodating Canada.
Factor in the fact that our population alone makes us unattractive consumers and I don't think we have a case.
Not sure what other reasons there could be, I mean, if there's money to be made, then a corporation like Nike would surely participate.
But apparently there can't be enough upside for them bringing their services here.

It would save me a lot of time and energy if we did get the stuff we wanted, but maybe it doesn't make sense for Nike.
Maybe the customs and taxes financially prevents Nike from accommodating Canada.
Factor in the fact that our population alone makes us unattractive consumers and I don't think we have a case.
Not sure what other reasons there could be, I mean, if there's money to be made, then a corporation like Nike would surely participate.
But apparently there can't be enough upside for them bringing their services here.

^^^Your right as far as population i mean we have about as many ppl as the State of California alone but Im sure that they can still turn a profit at the prices they ask and I would rather pay Nike $200 for a sneaker than $400++ on Ebay

^^^Your right as far as population i mean we have about as many ppl as the State of California alone but Im sure that they can still turn a profit at the prices they ask and I would rather pay Nike $200 for a sneaker than $400++ on Ebay

Nike only bring in kicks that sell. If you look around, most people wear nike runners, cross trainers, some AF1 and dunks. Basketball shoes (except for cheaper ones) don't really sell well especially here in Edmonton. Not sure how basketball shoes sell in Toronto and Vancouver but it is really weak here in Edmonton. Most kids still don't care about basketball and bball shoes here.

If I was not in to basketball and basketball shoes, I would not buy them either. Nike Basketball shoes prices here in Canada is crazy.

This is what I use to see a lot when I worked at footlocker: kid grabs kicks, shows mom the shoes, mom ask for the price, mom tells kid to put it down and look for a cheaper one. And im pretty sure this senario has happened to most of us at least once.

Nike only bring in kicks that sell. If you look around, most people wear nike runners, cross trainers, some AF1 and dunks. Basketball shoes (except for cheaper ones) don't really sell well especially here in Edmonton. Not sure how basketball shoes sell in Toronto and Vancouver but it is really weak here in Edmonton. Most kids still don't care about basketball and bball shoes here.

If I was not in to basketball and basketball shoes, I would not buy them either. Nike Basketball shoes prices here in Canada is crazy.

This is what I use to see a lot when I worked at footlocker: kid grabs kicks, shows mom the shoes, mom ask for the price, mom tells kid to put it down and look for a cheaper one. And im pretty sure this senario has happened to most of us at least once.

I don't see this improving. Right now, there's only a few stores where you could get decent Nike/Jordans. Like you said, when I was growing up, there were at least a dozen places that I could purchase marque shoes from, eg Sport Check, Athletes World, Foot Locker, Champs, Sportsmart, Sports Authority, I even remember that little crappy store that used to be in Jane and Finch Mall carrying the Jordan XI's, XII's, etc. I don't care enough to do anything about it though, as these days I'd probably prefer to buy a new suit than a pair of sneakers.

I don't see this improving. Right now, there's only a few stores where you could get decent Nike/Jordans. Like you said, when I was growing up, there were at least a dozen places that I could purchase marque shoes from, eg Sport Check, Athletes World, Foot Locker, Champs, Sportsmart, Sports Authority, I even remember that little crappy store that used to be in Jane and Finch Mall carrying the Jordan XI's, XII's, etc. I don't care enough to do anything about it though, as these days I'd probably prefer to buy a new suit than a pair of sneakers.

Originally Posted by mkc1983

The real question is: Girls or Suits?
(How I Met Your Mother reference*)

What really kills me is not being able to take advantage of Nike iD.
If we can't get a site, can we at least have the option of going into a store and doing it?
They ship to addresses in the states, why not here?

Originally Posted by mkc1983

The real question is: Girls or Suits?
(How I Met Your Mother reference*)

What really kills me is not being able to take advantage of Nike iD.
If we can't get a site, can we at least have the option of going into a store and doing it?
They ship to addresses in the states, why not here?

I would guess it has something to do with the Canadian government as opposed to Nike not wanting to sell a bunch of shoes in Canada. The reason why most stuff is expensive in Canada is not because the companies want to make stuff cost more its just that they are taxed more and have to incur shipping costs too.

I would guess it has something to do with the Canadian government as opposed to Nike not wanting to sell a bunch of shoes in Canada. The reason why most stuff is expensive in Canada is not because the companies want to make stuff cost more its just that they are taxed more and have to incur shipping costs too.

I tried to purchase a pair of shoes once from NDC and send it to a friend in the states but they wouldn't let me. They said I needed an american credit card. NDC suck (for canadians).

I tried to purchase a pair of shoes once from NDC and send it to a friend in the states but they wouldn't let me. They said I needed an american credit card. NDC suck (for canadians).

The thing is that not only NDC doesn't ship to Canada, but most "big" brands don't either. It must be something with Canadian laws like Mister_Friendly said.

The thing is that not only NDC doesn't ship to Canada, but most "big" brands don't either. It must be something with Canadian laws like Mister_Friendly said.

It's simple economics, guys. The paltry amount of dollars Canadian sneakerheads would generate isn't worth the bother. That's also why we don't get anything nice anymore – it just doesn't sell in the numbers they feel justify sending it here in the first place.

Not hatin', just 'splainin'. Trust me. I feel y'alls pain. But with the number of sites that frequently get great stuff (sneakerhead.com, pickyourshoes.com), if you really want something it's pretty easy to get. And those sites are generally cheaper than Eastbay and NDC (though not always).

And both those providers usually don't end up getting dinged at the border (in my experience, at least. Eastbay is a whole 'nother matter).

On the plus side, rocking stuff that's only available stateside means you're less likely to see somebody wearing the same joints.

Back
Top Bottom