• Both!

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • None!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looks so damn good, on my way to GameStop to preorder the Ganondorf figurine edition.

Graphics are important depending on the game. Gameplay is obviously king but If a developers vision is for you to be fully immersed in a world they've built then it's important. If you're playing a driving game especially an open world one then graphics are important so that you can see where you are going without pop in.
We haven't reached that point yet where graphics are giving us diminishing returns.We think we have until the next gen comes round and then we wonder what we did before. There's a reason why every single console reveal have tech demo's showcasing how they can improve both gameplay and graphics. It's a dev's duty to to have the right ratio of resources dedicated to gameplay and graphics. Of course with better tech, this usually becomes an easier decision than it was previouslly.

First let me say that I don't believe you need great graphics to have an immersive game. Look at games like Tetris, Minecraft, Pac Man.... the list is endless. This ideology is probably the reason most games suffer, in my opinion.

The fundamental thing we disagree on is that graphics are experiencing diminishing returns. You don't think we're in that situation and I do. In my opinion, the jump from 8-bit to 16-bit was HUGE. The jump from 16 bit sprites on the SNES to 3D games on the N64 was HUGE. The jump from standard definition to high definition was big as well, but it wasn't the HUGE leap as it was in the past. Nowadays I just don't see that HUGE difference from the 7th generation games to the 8th. So this is where we agree to disagree.

I think indie games are a major focus so that you can foster talent and have a variety of games on your platform. This happened on the PS1 which helped it explode on to the scene. With more exposure and success these indie developers can grow to be the next big thing or just carry on making great games

As for why companies are laying of staff it's because game budgets are increasing. This gen alone has seen the rise of multiplayer games and you need network engineers to build the netcode for games. That's an entire new workforce that need to be paid that were not there in the previous gen.It's not like theres 70% of the studio working on making the game pretty while 30% work on gameplay. As games get more complex, you need to spend more time on them which means hiring more people and paying more wages. Everyone across the board has been affected, some worse than others.
Yes while some tried to chase the Cod money and failed, there are plenty others which had original ideas. They don't sell as much or have the same marketing budget as COD or Halo but there are loads of them if you search. I visit the PSBlog so I see all the different types of games coming constantly. These original games are now getting more attention than before which is good for everyone.

I think the rise of the indie developer is a direct result of the stagnation the gaming industry is in. Again, I feel graphics have plateaued and as a result feel companies should focus more on unique game play experiences. Indie games are popular because they are providing users with something they are lacking. They provide unique gaming experiences. You go on on to say they are plenty of games with original ideas, but the industry doesn't push those games. The continue to push more of the same.

I understand the importance of graphics, but too many companies leverage their future just to ride the graphics horse. The fact companies are not able to keep up proves gaming budgets are getting out hand and is not sustainable. Again something we'll agree to disagree on.

I brought up Vita to show how hardware could limit a system. They couldn't port it because of the slicing game mechanic not the graphics. It's an example to show how gameplay can benefit from better technology.
It's a bit subjective to say the better games are on the 3DS. To me the games on Vita are better but that's just my opinion
If we were to compare games that are on both then the Vita version will perform better everytime. Certain genre's are also better on Vita because it has dual analog sticks like FPS's.

There are many things that affects a consoles sales not just the hardware. You can make powerful hardware but if no one makes games for it then it doesn't matter how powerful the hardware is.
Developers are hardly making games for the vita becasue they've jumped from handhelds onto smartphones and tablets.The handheld market is shrinking. The higest selling third party game for the 3DS in the US is The Angry Birds Trilogy which is a mobile game, it's Ninentdo's games propping the system up in the west and obviously that's their bread and butter. Things are better in Japan because they have third party support there but mobile is growing there as well as TGS this year will show.

When it comes to handhelds, I don't feel the market is shrinking. If this was true the 3DS would not be one of the fastest selling consoles of all time. Developers are not making games on the Vita because it doesn't offer the gamer experiences they want. Games push hardware and the 3DS has plenty of games that will continue to push units.

Stating that the better games are on the 3DS IS subjective...but the market shows they prefer the experiences on the 3DS over the Vita. And like you said, You can make powerful hardware, but if that powerful hardware lacks the games it doesn't matter. Something we both agree on. Games are really the only thing that matters. :smokin

And speaking of games... the Wind Waker HD Remake looks so fun. I forgot how expressive Link was in that game. The faces that he makes are priceless.

I've always stated that windwaker was the best game in the series. I think Nintendo knows it too...

I think the 2DS is gonna fly off the shelves when it releases. It actually looks pretty comfortable to hold .

Last edited:
I agree that the 2DS is gonna be selling like crazy especially with Pokemon coming out the same day.
Parents are gonna go into a local Walmart, Target, etc.. and see an inexpensive handheld that will have Mario, Pokemon, DK and so forth and scoop them up easy. I can only imagine the sales with the deals/bundles that will come out during Holiday season.

Now it all makes sense why Iwata projected a "Nintendo like profit" for the fiscal year ending March of next year, at the end of the day Nintendo knows one thing and that is how to make money.

They would have all my money on the 2DS front if these came out.

Not completely Nintendo news but former Capcom employee and designer of MegaMan began a Kickstarter to make a new 2D MegaMan esque game called Mighty No.9.

The goal was 900K which was funded in about a day. He is asking 2.5 mil to port the games to Wii U, PS3, & 360.
It's currently @ 1.1 mil so I can see this game coming to Wii U, only thing is, the game is coming out 2015.

Here's the trailer and the link if you wanna donate.

Concept art

Last edited:
A Pokemon Nintendo Direct happened this morning and went into detail about 2 new features called Pokemon Bank, a feature that will allow you to store up to 3000 Pokemon in a cloud based system and a feature called PokeTransfer where you will be able to transfer Pokemon from Black & White 1 and 2 to X/Y using the Pokemon Bank.
These features do require a yearly fee that Nintendo hasn't disclosed yet.

One of the main things though was the reveal of the 3 Kanto starters Mega forms, even though it is tradition for me to always go with a fire starter, I might end up picking up Squirtle because Mega Blastoise looks like a beast.

This is the full Direct if you wanna see all the details.

Almost forgot to mention, those Japan only limited edition X/Y 3DS XL's will be coming to NA on September 27th.
I'm glad NOA didn't sit on their hands this time and brought over some Japan only exclusives.

Not completely Nintendo news but former Capcom employee and designer of MegaMan began a Kickstarter to make a new 2D MegaMan esque game called Mighty No.9.

The goal was 900K which was funded in about a day. He is asking 2.5 mil to port the games to Wii U, PS3, & 360.
It's currently @ 1.1 mil so I can see this game coming to Wii U, only thing is, the game is coming out 2015.

Here's the trailer and the link if you wanna donate.

Concept art

too much like megman. man, even the girl is very similar to roll. the title even looks like a megman x title logo...doesn't look bad but its too much like megman for me.

You do realize this game is the spiritual successor of mega man by mega mans creator this is everything he envisioned for the title that capcom wouldn't allow him to do .Im proud of Inafune man created apart of my childhood

if i picked up this new pokemon game
how can i get me a pikachu or mew or other gen 1 pokemon in the new game???
please school me cause i have NO clue on anything regardeing pokemon except the tv show from when it first came out in the us

They sometimes have some of the old Pokemon in the wild on the new games but most of them you would have to find someone to trade with.
Mew would almost be impossible to get unless you find someone to trade with or they hold some sort of event where you could download it.

They showed off a good amount of Gen 1 Pokemon throughout all the trailers that they have released for X/Y so it's assumable that they will be able to be found in the wild.

So the Capcom x Nintendo collaboration ended up being Monster Hunter 4 related.
The Felynes (cat companions) will be able to looks like Mario & Luigi and the main character can dress up as Link and use the Master Sword and Hylian Shield or the Sacred Bow from Skyward Sword.

Seeing Link run around only makes me want an open world Zelda even more .

laugh.gif
 at Mega Venasaur looking the same as the regular one. Grass pokemon take another L.

eek.gif
Mega Ampharos!!!!!!!

Last edited:
This game is going to be insane. So much fun will be had... I hope it pushes units so we can get the sequel.

Agreed, it coming out 2 days before GTA isn't doing it any favors though. I'll still end up getting it on launch day.

Some more Pokemon news, now that we're getting close to the launch day it seems like they are releasing more news regularly.

I swear this game is gonna be so damn good.
I was looking at some launch pictures for MH4 in Japan since it came out for them today technically and those lines were huge, I can only imagine what Pokemon lines will look like.

Nintendo released yet another Nintendo Direct, this time it was mainly focused on Wii Fit U.

Some of the details of the Direct:

Wii Fit U

- Wii Fit U will be free to download if you have a Wii U & Wii Balance board from November 1st, 2013 until January 31st, 2014.
- You will have a 1 month trial upon playing the game,
- You can purchase a Fit meter for 19.99 and sync it to your Wii U and keep your trial version making the whole game essentially 20 bucks.
- Create communities in MiiVerse where you can keep track of you and your friends' progresses
- Fit meter had a 3 axis accelerometer that can measure altitude and intensity of your movements.
- Wii Fit U adds 19 new training activities making it a total of 77 different activities.

Wii Sports Club

- Original 5 Wii sports titles being upgraded.
- Will be displayed in HD.
- Will feature local, training, and online multiplayer mode.
- Choose which sport you want to purchase.
- With the "Try out Pass" you can try out any sport for 24 hours free of charge.
-"Daily Pass" lets you pay 1.99 for unlimited use of any of the sports for 24 hours.
- A "Single Sports Pass" will let you buy individual games at 9.99 each.
- You can join clubs based on region or state, you can then challenge other clubs and increase your club ranking.

Wii Fit U wont be lighting up the world like its predecessor did but with it technically only being 20 bucks I can see them making some good sales.

Just beat regular windwaker 2 days ago for the 3rd time. Easily my favorite Zelda game ever. Currently playing windwaker HD and will have another go 'round at beating the game :smokin

At least until Monday, when I purchase GTA V and it consumes my life

Last night Nintendo launched a new update to the Wii U which added a number of features. This is the rundown of the update

Version 4.0.0 U, available via an Internet connection, includes the following improvements:

New Features:

A feature to output video and sound to the Wii U GamePad when using Wii Mode¹
Users can choose to output to the TV and GamePad, or just the TV
A feature to automatically receive recommended software and demo titles from Nintendo using SpotPass
Support for USB keyboards
An option to disable use of a Nintendo Network ID on non-Nintendo hardware, such as PCs and smartphones
Support for Dolby[emoji]174[/emoji] Pro Logic[emoji]174[/emoji] II Surround Sound when playing Wii software

Changes to Wii U Menu:

Added a friend list icon to the Wii U Menu for easier access to the Friend List

Changes to System Settings:

An option to automatically receive recommended software is now available under "Internet"
A setting to select which cable outputs sound is available through "TV"
Users can choose to output sound through an HDMI cable, non-HDMI cable, or both cables at the same time. Click here for instructions
A setting to adjust the hourly interval in which standby functions are performed is available under "Power Settings" when Standby Functions are enabled

Changes to Wii U Chat:

Added the option to view a friend's profile on Miiverse when sending or receiving a chat request
Users can now chat using a headset connected to the Wii U GamePad

Changes to Internet Browser:

Pressing the R or L Buttons on the Wii U GamePad will skip video playback forward/back a small amount of time
Holding the R Button will speed up video playback
Ability to save username and passwords for websites that require login²
Ability to launch the Internet Browser during gameplay and upload screenshots
Added support for viewing PDF files³
Added features intended for website developers that allow the user to enable developer tools and set user agent

Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

¹ Wii software displayed on the Wii U GamePad cannot be controlled by the GamePad. This feature only allows Wii software to be displayed on the GamePad. A Wii Remote Plus or Wii Remote is required to play Wii software titles.

² Users can delete saved usernames and passwords from the Internet Browser settings.

³ Sometimes data may not be displayed correctly depending on the size and format of the PDF file. PDF files cannot be saved.

Nintendo is getting ready to stream a new Nintendo Direct in about 10 minutes. This Direct will focus on upcoming games for the rest of 2013, so expect to see trailers for Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong( unless the rumors of it being delayed until Q1 2014 are true), Wii Fit U, Wii Party U, Sonic Lost Worlds, and some 3rd party sizzle reel.

I'm going into this direct with low expectations as far as big announcements go, but from past experience, Nintendo usually has at least 1 thing up their sleeves with their Directs.

This is the link to watch the Direct live
http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/10-01-2013/

Looks like NCL will be streaming their Direct straight to Youtube, NOA needs to get on that, so for any Japanese speaking people, here you go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom