Votes: 4 14.3%
  • None!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Heads up fry's electronics has Mario kart 8 for 49.99
No Fry's in my area but I have a $10 coupon for TRU. TRU is also doing Buy 1, get 1 40% off on Wii U games. Same if you buy X360, X1, PS3, or PS4 games.

Q&A: Nintendo’s Kosuke Yabuki on the making of Mario Kart 8
Edge Staff at 10:00am May 30 2014

Since he joined Nintendo in 2005, Kosuke Yabuki has worked on The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 7 and Nintendogs + Cats. Here, he discusses squeezing HD visuals out of Wii U, designing Mario Kart TV, and the decision to remove arenas from Battle mode.

How did being freed of gravity’s restrictions change your approach to course design?
We had tracks that rose and fell a little in previous Mario Kart titles, but essentially they were designed on a level plane. With the introduction of the antigravity mechanic, we started designing tracks to make use of all three dimensions. We built Mario Circuit and N64 Rainbow Road so players will catch some great views of castles or skyscrapers in the upper portion of the screen, heightening the sense of racing upside down.

Was it a challenge updating these classic courses?
A lot has changed since these courses first appeared, from kart behaviour to the camera and even the number of opponents, so we had to redesign the courses both in terms of their spatial layout and even the width of the tracks. We’ve also added in the antigravity, gliding and underwater mechanics, too, and the graphics and sound are all remade from scratch. But I hope these courses will still bring back some fond memories.

Mario Kart 8’s vehicles handle beautifully once acclimatised to, but did you ever worry about the risk of making the game less immediate?
This time around, we really did add in a lot of new elements, but we also aimed to do away with explanations or tutorials as much as possible. The Mario Kart series cherishes both depth and breadth of gameplay; it’s broadly accessible and anyone can pick up a controller and start playing, but at the same time the games are also deep enough that players can achieve greater results through practice. Each time we make a Mario Kart, we make everything from scratch: programming, graphics and even the audio. Even if we’re making something similar to what was used in a previous title, it will be different because of the person doing it. We think this subtle change is crucial.

Why did you reinstate the D-pad control option?
The Wii Wheel supports both [D-pad] and motion controls. We’ve honed them so that they both give a great racing experience, and users can select whichever they prefer. We did the same for the right stick on the GamePad as well. Letting users move the right stick to accelerate gives them a different feel to pressing the A Button. Having said that, it’s not simply about the quantity of control options; we experimented with a lot of different control methods, and only the ones that we found worthy made it through.

How far do you think you’re pushing the hardware?
Our aim was to create a game that used HD graphics and played at a smooth 60fps. We pushed Wii U’s capabilities to their limits to achieve this. [But] I think it still has a lot of potential left, and I suspect there are more ways to make use of its capabilities that we haven’t even imagined.

Mario Kart TV’s AI editor has a keen eye for drama and framing. How difficult was it to design?
Mario Kart 8 automatically creates highlight reels based on a number of elements, including the way the race develops, the way items are used, as well as changes in position. It may look fairly simple, but we spent a lot of time to make it what it is. In twoplayer multiplayer, the AI focuses on moments that show the relation between these two players… I think it creates a really nice, enjoyable video, even if it does look simple.

The YouTube upload feature suggests a change of thinking at Nintendo. What made you decide to support sharing videos this way?
When we were preparing the automatic highlight reel feature, we wanted users to share these videos with others, not just watch them by themselves. For example, after uploading a reel to YouTube, you can re-watch the highlights of your online battle the next day in your office, or at school or even on your smartphone. It will definitely encourage people to keep playing, and may be a great way to invite others to join you for a game.

Why did you replace arenas with tracks in Battle mode? It’s naturally suited to an enclosed space.
We’ve changed the style of Battle mode for Mario Kart 8 to use circuits that lots of people can play on. Players won’t know when a rival will appear from around a corner, which will bring a new sense of excitement and strategy to this mode. In terms of rules, we designed it for playing with 12 players, including the CPU. In the beginning, you have to defeat the CPU players and earn your score, and towards the end it becomes a battle between just human players. That’s the real thrill of it! It should also be a fresh experience for users to be able to race backwards around the circuits they are familiar with. I’m sure there will be a few people who aren’t so sure about us moving away from how we’ve done things previously, but I hope they try it out for themselves first. I’m sure it will be a new experience for everyone, [and] like no other battles in Mario Kart before.

Mcflyy Mcflyy what are ur impressions??
i picked it up this morning before work
so im not gonna get a chance to play till i get off at 5
man i thought about going home early
and saying im sick :lol:

I'm loving the game so far, I've only played a handful of matches online cause I didn't start to play until late at night so I went to sleep. The matches that I did play were really good, I had no lag and no disconnects and the matchmaking was quick.

As far as single player goes, It's actually challenging in the 150cc cup or maybe it's because I have **** luck and get bombarded with items. I'm using the motorcycle so it's different from what I'm used to as far as handling and whatnot but I really like it.

I haven't really dove into much of the rest of the game like the battle modes and online tournaments but I hope we can muster up some people on here to start the tourney in the near future (I need to work on my skills beforehand) and have some weekly NT tournaments.

And the music.... Nintendo really knows how to make music for games, it's so good.

Mcflyy Mcflyy what are ur impressions??
i picked it up this morning before work
so im not gonna get a chance to play till i get off at 5
man i thought about going home early
and saying im sick :lol:

I'm loving the game so far, I've only played a handful of matches online cause I didn't start to play until late at night so I went to sleep. The matches that I did play were really good, I had no lag and no disconnects and the matchmaking was quick.

As far as single player goes, It's actually challenging in the 150cc cup or maybe it's because I have **** luck and get bombarded with items. I'm using the motorcycle so it's different from what I'm used to as far as handling and whatnot but I really like it.

I haven't really dove into much of the rest of the game like the battle modes and online tournaments but I hope we can muster up some people on here to start the tourney in the near future (I need to work on my skills beforehand) and have some weekly NT tournaments.

And the music.... Nintendo really knows how to make music for games, it's so good.
let me know when ur on tonight i will join u for some racing in online

Masahiro Sakurai Shows Off Touch Screen Usage in Super Smash Bros. on 3DS

Steady those expectations...
Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is a game in a slightly odd position. It's due this 'Summer', yet is being consistently overshadowed by its Wii U brethren; the latter has its own E3 Invitational and is still getting a lot more coverage of Masahiro Sakurai's Super Smash Bros. Director's Room.
Fear not, 3DS fans, as Sakurai-san has revealed a bit of extra information on the portable version in today's Pic of the Day, finally showing us what the touch screen will do on the handheld during the battle. It's a practical if slightly uninspiring choice, and will be perfect for targeting particular foes in the heat of a brawl.

…You can highlight that fighter on your screen. This is useful when you want to get back at a particular opponent. You can also highlight yourself if you need to keep better track of where you are. This is a great benefit to having your own individual screen.

So there you have it. We're quietly hopeful that Final Smash moves or cinematic moments will dabble with utilising both screens, as an example, but this does seem like a sensible, intuitive use of the touch screen.

Man, I tried to get my free game download and as soon as I picked my game, it said club nintendo was down for maintenance. Anybody else try for the game?

Man, I tried to get my free game download and as soon as I picked my game, it said club nintendo was down for maintenance. Anybody else try for the game?
I think it will be down for a few days since people will want the free download. Same thing happen to a friend when he was trying to download Link Between Worlds

Last edited:

I started out tournament
First tournament is
SATURDAY JUNE 7, 2014 @ 8:00pm PST
just for fun
Then later on we can play for $$$

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS is a game in a slightly odd position. It's due this 'Summer', yet is being consistently overshadowed by its Wii U brethren; the latter has its own E3 Invitational and is still getting a lot more coverage of Masahiro Sakurai's Super Smash Bros. Director's Room.
Fear not, 3DS fans, as Sakurai-san has revealed a bit of extra information on the portable version in today's Pic of the Day, finally showing us what the touch screen will do on the handheld during the battle. It's a practical if slightly uninspiring choice, and will be perfect for targeting particular foes in the heat of a brawl.

…You can highlight that fighter on your screen. This is useful when you want to get back at a particular opponent. You can also highlight yourself if you need to keep better track of where you are. This is a great benefit to having your own individual screen.

So there you have it. We're quietly hopeful that Final Smash moves or cinematic moments will dabble with utilising both screens, as an example, but this does seem like a sensible, intuitive use of the touch screen.
It seems like the 3DS is going to have less screen clutter which is dope. It's swaying me towards that version.

It seems like the 3DS is going to have less screen clutter which is dope. It's swaying me towards that version.
Well the 3ds version comes out first
Summer I'm hearing mid July
Wii u version in winter I'm thinking dec

Well the 3ds version comes out first
Summer I'm hearing mid July
Wii u version in winter I'm thinking dec
Word, I really want to get a Wii U this summer man. My Nintendo fanboy is dying inside, you have no idea. Their truly the only game company that I love. I'm a get my money up this Summer and make sure to add all y'all. I just don't wanna miss out on these Mario Kart tourney. 
mean.gif

Man yall are tmepting me to open it early. My brothers birthday isnt until June 18 but tis already in the house

Last edited:
is thereany way to turn motion controls of the wiimote?

that's the only thing annoying the hell out of me

I went to the store bought the game but they sold out of wii u pro controllers. so the only other one i have is the wiimote and then It's on that motion control crap. so not only is the controller whack, now I gotta be swinging my hands and ****?

the first player has too much of an advantage on the gamepad. anyone know how to turn motion controls off? hope its possibe

oh and should i buy wii u pro controllers? are they good for this game?

is thereany way to turn motion controls of the wiimote?

that's the only thing annoying the hell out of me

I went to the store bought the game but they sold out of wii u pro controllers. so the only other one i have is the wiimote and then It's on that motion control crap. so not only is the controller whack, now I gotta be swinging my hands and ****?

the first player has too much of an advantage on the gamepad. anyone know how to turn motion controls off? hope its possibe

oh and should i buy wii u pro controllers? are they good for this game?
When in a race press start and u can press left or right on the controller for motion or pad controls
U will be able to select ur preference
Also I been using the Wii and nunchuck combo
It was kinda confusing at first but damn I'm beasting

Last edited:
Online be crazy
Especially when everybody bunched up :lol: 1st to 12th then back to 1st in like 2 seconds

Last edited:
Feel free to add me anyone. NNID- The_2nd_Coming.

Been playing online a lot and have been doing pretty good, I usually finish in the top 3 most of the time. Are bikes the way to go? I notice the majority of people using them

When in a race press start and u can press left or right on the controller for motion or pad controls
U will be able to select ur preference
Also I been using the Wii and nunchuck combo
It was kinda confusing at first but damn I'm beasting

Thanks you the man that helps

Back
Top Bottom