No Star Trek into Darkness thread?

Saw it Friday night and really enjoyed it, I'd say its only slightly worst then the first film. I think as long as your not a Trekkie, you'll like it.

Although I hated the film, I'm glad everyone else enjoyed it especially those who have never seen anything Star Trek. I hope an appreciation is gained for the franchise in some manner.

As I've stated before the first on was enjoyable and I forgave the issues that I believed were plot holes for the sake of it just being back on screen. Overall here is my real issue with the second but only if you've seen it.

The movie was actually very entertaining and I was cool up until Khan was revealed. He was the main villain in ST Wrath of Khan 1982 which is considered either 1 or 1A in the movie rankings for the series. So already at this point Abrams should have tread lightly. Up until till that point the character was done very well. His intellect, tenacity, and overall superiority was on display. Then the dude Abrams completely ripped a major plot point for STWOK. In that movie Khan is about to destroy the enterprise in a last ditch effort to get revenge on Kirk. Spock goes and restores power so the ship can escape. Kirk comes to the glass and they say their goodbyes and what not and Spock dies. The scene in Abrams film was roles reversed and basically word for word. That's lazy and I can't rock with it.

Spock was actually dead at the end of the movie. The tribble part was so predictable in this one.

I can see as a Star Trek fan why you didn't enjoy the film after all that info. As someone who is only slightly familiar with Star Trek as just a pop culture reference, I knew Kahn was a big and popular villain but I've never seen the film and didn't realize they reused a major plot and just reversed rules. Thanks for the info. The next film with the original cast was Search for Spock correct? Just curious if Spock was brought back similar to how Kirk was in this film.

Saw it Friday night and really enjoyed it, I'd say its only slightly worst then the first film. I think as long as your not a Trekkie, you'll like it.
I can see as a Star Trek fan why you didn't enjoy the film after all that info. As someone who is only slightly familiar with Star Trek as just a pop culture reference, I knew Kahn was a big and popular villain but I've never seen the film and didn't realize they reused a major plot and just reversed rules. Thanks for the info. The next film with the original cast was Search for Spock correct? Just curious if Spock was brought back similar to how Kirk was in this film.

Yep, that was the next film. No, he was brought back in a completely different way. {/spoiler]

I'm not a star trek fan by any means, and pretty much know nothing about the past movies 30 years ago, but I guess i'm failing to see the problem with reusing a plot from 30 years ago? How is it a rip if its the same franchise, and a reboot? If I saw Batman and it had this same story i'd be pretty appalled, but given this is an adaptation/remake/reboot whatever he's basing the source material one, I don't really see the problem. I've seen reboots do alot worse (and I dont think this is bad).

I'm not a star trek fan by any means, and pretty much know nothing about the past movies 30 years ago, but I guess i'm failing to see the problem with reusing a plot from 30 years ago? How is it a rip if its the same franchise, and a reboot? If I saw Batman and it had this same story i'd be pretty appalled, but given this is an adaptation/remake/reboot whatever he's basing the source material one, I don't really see the problem. I've seen reboots do alot worse (and I dont think this is bad).

This will be the third time the plot point has been used. It was used again in ST Nemesis 2002 and wasn't well received for the exact same reason. Can I get something new?

Saw in IMAX tonight, movie was :smokin

It seemed to drag a BIT at the end, but other than that I loved it. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

I feel that JHs conflict aint resonate strongly enough. Since we never met his "family" it kinda seemed tacked on. Honestly i felt the movie woulda been exatcly the same if there were REAL POPSCICLES in the torpedoes.

Example, we never saw neros family get destroyed in ST1 but we saw Spocks planet get destroyed and we met other Vulcans

We never got to know the personalities of JHs fan/crew so i was like "so what"

Really liked this movie, I'm upset the latest imax showing was 6:10 so i had to settle for that regular stuff :frown: . I'm not a star trek fan but they should have let Kirk die. Ending was predictable, of course they revive him!

The movie was aite, I definitely liked the first one better. I really liked the first half, especially when the klingons got wiped out by "John Harrison"

The second half bored me, especially the when the team up happened. The jump from the enterprise thru the debris and asteroids felt like something straight out of a really bad online game, and it went on FOREVER. The part with the Enterprise crashing to Earth also dragged on too much and there wasn't much tension during the sequence anyways.

No feels for the Kirk "death" scene either, it was obviously a not so slick homage/rip off of Wrath of Khan and you knew he was gonna come back like ten minutes later Optimus Prime style. Got feels for Pikes death scene though :frown:

Saw it last night. It was ok. Too many things failing to add extra unneeded suspense. Shields failing, power failing, gravity maker failing, etc

Really enjoyed the movie last night. But 1st 5 minutes of Star Trek 2009 was :smokin

Like everyone else, I wasn't a Star Trek fan by any means. (Star Wars Fan for life). My 8 year old self couldn't sit through Bald dude Jean Luc Picard talking to the Reading Rainbow guy, funny shaped headed Klingon guy and really pale dude on a ship the whole day.

But now that I am older and wiser, I may have to give ST another chance. My impression of the Star Trek franchise is that there is alot of talking and not much action. So should try the Original Series first or just jump to the movies with The Motion Picture, Wrath of Kahn etc?

Movie was good. The first one was definitely better. I don't know about these twists you guys were talking about....everything was laid out pretty straight forward.

Oh and Iron Man 3 was beyond trash.

Really enjoyed the movie last night. But 1st 5 minutes of Star Trek 2009 was :smokin

Like everyone else, I wasn't a Star Trek fan by any means. (Star Wars Fan for life). My 8 year old self couldn't sit through Bald dude Jean Luc Picard talking to the Reading Rainbow guy, funny shaped headed Klingon guy and really pale dude on a ship the whole day.

But now that I am older and wiser, I may have to give ST another chance. My impression of the Star Trek franchise is that there is alot of talking and not much action. So should try the Original Series first or just jump to the movies with The Motion Picture, Wrath of Kahn etc?

That is mainly what the Star Trek franchise is about though, it was always about exploration. The reason why a lot of hardcore trekkies hate on the new movies is because JJ Abrams basically tried to make them into summer action blockbusters. There was a slight nod to this in the movie when Simon Pegg quit and said "This is a military mission. I thought we were explorers?"

For me I started with TNG because I watched with pops. It's definitely not like the movies. The first two seasons of that have low and high points but by the third it takes off. Its definitely not a show filled with action (DS9 and Voy). To guage your interest, if you have netflix watch S5 "The inner light." Those type of stories drew me in and i appreciated them more as I got older. That setting allows for the writers to critique and question human views towards one another (racism, religion, etc.) but doing so using other species. This done throughout all the series but done very well in this one.

The OG series is best described as a campy version of TNG. Sort of like the Batman of that era. Still entertaining but it doesn't hold up well to me. I think most folks may disagree.

DS9 may be the most interesting if you're a Star Wars fan. After its first 2.5 seasons it takes off. Voyager was pretty much the same way.

Although I hated the film, I'm glad everyone else enjoyed it especially those who have never seen anything Star Trek. I hope an appreciation is gained for the franchise in some manner.

As I've stated before the first on was enjoyable and I forgave the issues that I believed were plot holes for the sake of it just being back on screen. Overall here is my real issue with the second but only if you've seen it.

The movie was actually very entertaining and I was cool up until Khan was revealed. He was the main villain in ST Wrath of Khan 1982 which is considered either 1 or 1A in the movie rankings for the series. So already at this point Abrams should have tread lightly. Up until till that point the character was done very well. His intellect, tenacity, and overall superiority was on display. Then the dude Abrams completely ripped a major plot point for STWOK. In that movie Khan is about to destroy the enterprise in a last ditch effort to get revenge on Kirk. Spock goes and restores power so the ship can escape. Kirk comes to the glass and they say their goodbyes and what not and Spock dies. The scene in Abrams film was roles reversed and basically word for word. That's lazy and I can't rock with it.

Spock was actually dead at the end of the movie. The tribble part was so predictable in this one.

I see your point, but...

... the way Abrams did this movie also allowed Spock to develop so much as a character. We already know that Kirk is an emotional character and wears his heart on his sleeve, but to see Spock watching his best friend die in front of him and literally cry his first tear in the series was a larger emotional payoff than if the roles were reversed like in the original film.

With respect, I believe your negative review of this movie is heavily based off your biased as a fan of the original series.

I had zero prior star trek knowledge before watching the first film in 2009, but now have tried to catch up and read everything I can to enhance my experience with this franchise going into the future. What abrams did with this series has never been done by anyone ever, rebooting a franchise of this magnitude while staying true to the original material.... even making the original material a plot device for the reboot. Pure Genius.

Last edited:
I feel that JHs conflict aint resonate strongly enough. Since we never met his "family" it kinda seemed tacked on. Honestly i felt the movie woulda been exatcly the same if there were REAL POPSCICLES in the torpedoes.

Example, we never saw neros family get destroyed in ST1 but we saw Spocks planet get destroyed and we met other Vulcans

We never got to know the personalities of JHs fan/crew so i was like "so what"

That was the point, audience was supposed to imagine JH's crew was just as ruthless and menacing as him.

I saw it over the weekend in 3D, really enjoyed it. Don't know if it tops the first one, but it's right up there. 

That is mainly what the Star Trek franchise is about though, it was always about exploration. The reason why a lot of hardcore trekkies hate on the new movies is because JJ Abrams basically tried to make them into summer action blockbusters. There was a slight nod to this in the movie when Simon Pegg quit and said "This is a military mission. I thought we were explorers?"

The only movies that were actually like that were the first and fifth. You can make argument for the fourth. That's not really our issue with Abrams. Not in the mood to rant again though :lol:

I see your point, but...

... the way Abrams did this movie also allowed Spock to develop so much as a character. We already know that Kirk is an emotional character and wears his heart on his sleeve, but to see Spock watching his best friend die in front of him and literally cry his first tear in the series was a larger emotional payoff than if the roles were reversed like in the original film.

With respect, I believe your negative review of this movie is heavily based off your biased as a fan of the original series.

I had zero prior star trek knowledge before watching the first film in 2009, but now have tried to catch up and read everything I can to enhance my experience with this franchise going into the future. What abrams did with this series has never been done by anyone ever, rebooting a franchise of this magnitude while staying true to the original material.... even making the original material a plot device for the reboot. Pure Genius.

My biased was present from the first movie but I let certain things slide which made that movie enjoyable. I'm not really a fan TOS but I am of the movies with that cast.

As I stated in another post this is the third time we have seen this plot device in a movie. The last was two movies ago and it bombed.

I get that as a new fan this is fresh and exciting and I'm actually glad that it is for you. I even get what Abrams was trying to do with the reversal but for me it was tired. Can I get something new?

As far as this being a difficult franchise to reboot, I agree. However, rehashing MAJOR plot points from what is considered an ICONIC movie will never be something I can get down with. I mean he had the same villain too. C'mon man. As I stated before I should never go to a movie and be able to recite lines word for word. Not little catch phrases but entire lines.

As a fan of the OG Star Trek...I think this movie was great. Yea they reused some things but I think it was pure genius how it was done because it is about creating a new generation of fans. It not only had accomplished that, but it has also satisfied myself and my father who grew up with original. I really cannot think of any franchise reboot done THIS well.

^ uh batman? but i can see where you're coming from. Got a few trekie friends, and they loved it

Just saw it today, movie was :smokin :smokin Infinitely better than Iron Man 3.....probably the best movie I've seen this year so far..Man of Steel will probably be better but not by much. Kinda mad this thread is only 4 pages and IM3 had 500 :lol: I thought it was better than the first one and I loved the first Star Trek movie, hoep this continues to do numbers

Should add that I'm not a trekkie whatsoever if that influences how I felt about the movie...these 2 films have given me some motivation to check out the OG stuff though, which I NEVER would have before

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom