Nokia N900- $50 rebate, Firefox now available.

Originally Posted by Halftime718

I spoke to a T-Mobile rep he said that once you put the sim card in the phone it becomes insured. Can anyone confirm this?
u pay every month for insurance....that money is definitely going to replace da phone..remember your paying for your "sim card"

da phone da card is in automatically becomes secure.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by NeptuneBeats187

Not spending over half a grand for a cell phone. I have a laptop and an iPhone.

/Thread.
N900 IS a laptop though
pimp.gif
Didn't you say you're good with your Sidekick?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Dynamic X

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by NeptuneBeats187

Not spending over half a grand for a cell phone. I have a laptop and an iPhone.

/Thread.
N900 IS a laptop though
pimp.gif
Didn't you say you're good with your Sidekick?
laugh.gif
hey i love my sidekick LX 2009 still, no way i was leaving it UNTIL something can multitask AS WELL

and this my friends does da trick.

besides, F a iphone, this phone's got enuff firepower to completely dead da ego's of whoever tried to play

da sidekick out.

Speaking of N97 firmware 2.0 is out and its a major firmware... you can call it now a flagship phone unlike when its first came out.

N900 is looks very promising... I really like the firefox browser on it. Im waiting for whats next after N900. N920? rumored already... 1st quarter of 2010 icant wait! time to get a free upgrade again (UK line FTW)

Originally Posted by SN Souljah

people said the new N97 that came out this past summer was the "Best phone out" but my friend went to dubai this summer to meet fam and copped it for me..honestly..it was so wack..touch screen was like a Palm Treo..froze up..chunky..only good thing was the camera...

so if this is anything like the n97 its probably just hype...the n95 was a good phone for its time though..most nokias are crack...but since the n97 im skeptical.

N900 has more internal memory than the N97 and supposedly the operating system is more stable too.

The N97 *IS* a frustrating phone. I have one, and even after a firmware update which Nokia claimed would be 'bug free' it still locks up to the pointwhere i have
to take the battery out.

Originally Posted by Halftime718

It's available in some stores in NYC already.

Can i get this insured under T-Mobile? Can i keep paying the same five and change a month?
It's supposed to be signed up through Tmobile according to the Project Dark movement. But as of now, no new info on that

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

how much do these cost?
I spent 720ish but i also got an extra battery, memory card(16gb) and charger. They have some discounts on some accessories but not all.

If you have to finance a cell phone, then you really shouldn't be buying it.

the keyboard is very good, just takes time to get used to since its narrower, especially coming from a sidekick but i haven't made much mistakes. thebrowser is very fast and the touch screen is very responsive. The speakers are loud, the only thing i see a little laggy is when you use the phones to makecalls, even though its not bad at all.overall i like the phone a lot havent put it down all day. the battery life is good also.

The Nokia N900 was just announced that it started shipping on Tuesday.I've been using a pre-production version for a month now and just updated to the production firmware (1.2009.42-11). I'll edit this review when I getmy hands on a production hardware model and notice any difference. Want to know what I think in one sentence? I like the Nokia N900, but Nokia still has a lotof work to do.

4099330101_a13d42174f.jpg

[h4]Prelude[/h4]
One of the reasons I started this blog was to share my experiences using what I believed were the best phones created. When the Nokia N70, N93, and N95 8GBwere released, I thought everyone else's phones were garbage. I was happily taking photos, videos, checking the web, my email, and navigating with thebuilt-in GPS while most of my friends were just happy with SMS and making calls on their phones.

But then the iPhone 3G and 3GS came out. Now my friends, their parents, and their grandparents can do what I've been doing because Apple made it easier,faster, and prettier to use.

I'm a phone fanatic and always want the best. Unfortunately, I did not feel I was using the best devices anymore when I got the Nokia 5800 and thelatest flagship, Nokia N97. That's why I was excited when the Nokia N900 was announced to run on Maemo. I wanted something new… not just a touch-optimizedlayer placed on top of the previous S60 OS.

I've been asked several questions when I show the Nokia N900 to friends. Do I feel the Nokia N900 is the best device to have right now? Is it betterthan the iPhone or Android? Read on to find out.
[h4]Hardware[/h4]
Size. If you're updating from a Nokia N97, the N900 it's slightly thicker, shorter and heavier. It's pocketable, but you'llfeel that it's there. If you wear skinny jeans, you might want to carry this in your coat pocket or belt case, instead. Check out the size comparison between the iPhone vs N900 vs N97 vs E71.

Build Quality. The build quality of the Nokia N900 is fine. It seems plasticky, but it's not terrible. The slider locks on to placewith nice reassuring clicking sounds and the hardware buttons like the camera, keylock, power, and qwerty are firm. It's not a dealbreaker, but mypre-production N900 makes a little creaking noise when I squeeze on the side of the device. Some metal would have been reassuring, but it would make the N900heavier than it already is.

Internals. Inside the Nokia N900 is ARM Cortex - A8 microprocessor running at 600 MHz with 1GB (256MB RAM + 768MB virtual memory). It'sthe same CPU as the iPhone 3GS. Opening, scrolling, and switching through multiple applications is really fast. On average, I have 4 windows open and don'tnotice any lag. There's 32GB of internal storage, but the N900 provides a microSD slot if you need more space.

Display. The Nokia N900 has a 3.5 inch touchscreen display with 800 x 480 resolution. That means a pixel density of 267 pixels per inch (PPI).Let's compare it to other touch devices:
  • Apple iPhone 3GS: 165 PPI
  • Nokia N97: 210 PPI
  • HTC HD2: 217 PPI
  • Motorola Droid: 265 PPI
  • Nokia N900: 267 PPI
The more pixels you have in an inch, the more information they can represent, and hence the clearer and sharper the picture. Believe me when I say thedisplay on the Nokia N900 is sharp.

The screen on the Nokia N900 is responsive. It reacts quickly to the touch. Pages scroll in sync with the finger, while applications and menus open andclose immediately. Unfortunately there's no multi-touch gestures like pinching to zoom in or out like the iPhone. A unique gesture is a circular motion atthe web browser to zoom. Might seem silly at first, but it's great for one-handed browsing.

Keyboard. I needed a few days to get used to the QWERTY keyboard on the Nokia N900. Coming from the Nokia N97, it felt really different.The @ sign and arrow keys went to the right, while symbol and function were switched to the left side. It became easier after more usage.

Those who haven't used the Nokia N97 before will notice right away that there are only 3 rows of buttons and the spacebar is placed on the right.I'm fine with the 3 rows, but it needs getting used to. I also don't mind the weird placement of the spacebar because I'm right-handed. It makes itmore accessible in my opinion. The buttons provide adequate tactile feedback, but I suggest leaving the keyboard sounds ON for a better typing experience. Mymajor gripe about the Nokia N900's keyboard is that long-pressing on a key does not output the corresponding symbol like other recent Nokia Qwerty devicessuch as the E71, E75, N97, and E72. I've voted for this feature on Maemo Bugzilla. We'll seeif Nokia decides to implement it.

4099331103_9e12f6a090.jpg

On-screen QWERTY is available on the Nokia N900, but it's off by default. It's really good for typing, but I still prefer using the slide-outkeyboard. Panning or zooming is not available when the on-screen QWERTY is displayed on the N900. For comparison, the iPhone and the Motorola Droid still showssome of the surrounding elements when QWERTY is shown on-screen.

Camera. The Nokia N900's camera does not disappoint. It features a 5mp camera labeled with Carl Zeiss lens. It also packs dual LEDsflash, but don't expect miracles when taking photos in dark restaurants and bars. By default, the N900 takes 3.5mp photos. It crops the top and bottom togive a widescreen aspect picture. You can change this to 5mp in options. It does not include all the camera options from previous Nseries cameras. It'smissing sequence, self-timer, color tone, contrast, and sharpness that are found in the Nokia N97.

4099331879_c62c3af458.jpg

The Nokia N900 is certainly capable of taking great photos under enough light. Nokia usually does well in this aspect of their devices. The flash is greatto help out at night, but it will never be as good as the xenon on the Nokia N82. Overall, I found the N900 to have a better camera than the iPhone 3GS and theMotorola Droid.

Video on the Nokia N900 went both forward and back. As a step up from previous Nseries devices, it has the ability to autofocus before recording. This isdone by half-pressing before recording. This makes videos sharper because previous models had fixed focus to either infinity like the Nokia N97 or a few meterslike the N86. The N900 is also capable of shooting at a higher resolution of 848 x 480 pixels, but lower max speed of 25 fps. I wouldn't mind having anadditional option to shoot 640×480 pixels at 30 fps. Proper exposure is measured from the center and the N900 adjusts it automatically while recording.

Sharing photos and videos online is really amazing on the Nokia N900. If someone asked me what my favorite feature is on the Nokia N900, this is it. Justinstall the Pixelpipe plugin and you'll be able to upload to several services immediately.Tagging and geotagging are also supported.

Speakers. The Nokia N900 speakers are loud, but the quality isn't the greatest. The speakers are also on the top sides of the N900 sothey get covered by my index fingers. I like the placement better on the Nokia N97 where they are at the bottom side corners. The Droid also has noticeablybetter-sounding speakers.
[h4]Software[/h4]
Maemo is refreshing to use after the S60 OS from previous Nokia devices. The interface is much nicer. It also places a lot of emphasis on multitasking. Forexample, when you're running an application, the dashboard icon on the top left gives you quick access to other current open apps. From the dashboard, theicon changes to the application menu icon, where touching it gives you access to all your available apps.

It's all easy once you familiarize yourself with the status area, menu, and application bar. The status area shows the current time, battery, signalstrength, internet connection, available updates, and the active profile. Clicking on the area gives you the status menu where you can quickly change accesspoints, turn on/off bluetooth, profiles, IM status, and volume. This is extendable too. Plugins allow you to add more options. For example, I installed aplugin that lets me quickly change the screen brightness from the status menu. The title bar is where settings for opened apps are available.

For the most part, the Nokia N900 is used in landscape view. Currently, the only apps I found portrait view possible were using the phone or the photogallery. Portrait view for the browser is expected by the end of the year. I'm not sure about other applications.

Panoramic Desktop. The desktop on the Nokia N900 is very customizable. There are 4 panels for users to place bookmarks, shortcuts, widgets,and contacts. Out of the box, there are two available themes. It depends on you if you want orange or blue accents. You can place four different wallpapers, orfollow my guide to loopable wallpapers.

Email. I've already thoroughly reviewed the email aspect of the Nokia N900, so I'll briefly describe it here. Setting up email accounts is pretty easy.Nokia lists the service providers so you'll only have to enter the proper login info. It's very straightforward to compose, read, and reply to emails.I'm really glad that HTML is built-in.

Push email exists in the Nokia N900. Exchange is supported. I'm disappointed that Google Sync for email doesn't work on the Nokia N900. It somehow grabs someemail headers, but will not display all the other data like messages, sender, and time. Depending on the region, users will be able to use their Nokia Messaging account for push email. Unfortunatelythat option is not available here in the US. It's now available for USconsumers.

There is a known performance issue for IMAP users like Gmail. Those with large amount of inboxmessages will notice the Nokia N900 slow down. The workaround is to archive your old emails before setting it up on the N900.

Contacts. The phonebook is really powerful on the Nokia N900. It's the one-stop place for messaging, whether it is email, instantmessage, voice call, or internet call. Out of the box, you can add Skype, SIP, Gtalk accounts to show your buddy list within the phonebook. It is alsoextendable. For example I added my AIM account with a plugin called Haze that's currently in development. My favorite feature of Contacts on the N900 issorting the list by status. Therefore, those who are currently online stay on top of the list. And since I'm using Google Sync, my phonebook will always bein sync with Googlecontacts.

screenshot_nokia_n900_1.jpg

screenshot_nokia_n900.jpg

I also suggest installing the Hermes appright away to grab additional information from Facebook that may be missing in your contacts like photos, birthdays, and web links. I've spoken to thedeveloper Andrew Flegg before the application was released. Check out the interview here.

Browsing. The web browsing experience is closer to what it's like using a computer at home than other phones. It loads the full pagesof my most visited sites like Techmeme, Engadget,and Mashable accurately and fast too. It'spowered by Mozilla Technology and includes Adobe Flash 9.4 and full AJAX support. It will show flash objects like ads, embedded videos, or even games. I cannow access pages on this device that my previous phones couldn't. For example, The Nokia N97, iPhone, or Motorla Droid can't open Speedtest.net. Unfortunately, it's not always smooth as I want it tobe. Embedded Youtube videos only play nice if I pause and let it load first. Videos from Vimeo or Hulu are just horrible. It'll load, but save yourselffrom headache and avoid these sites completely on the N900.

screenshot_nokia_n900_2.jpg

screenshot_nokia_n900_3.jpg

I recommend installing the AdblockPlus plugin for the N900's browser made possible by Alan Bruce. It gets rid of ads and banners that often take longer to download than everything elseon the page.

Music. When it comes to mobile devices, I usually install Pandora or a Last.FM application to stream music. Unfortunately there are no apps for thoseservices on Maemo yet. I can't remember the last time I transferred music to a phone, but for review purposes, I tested it on the Nokia N900. I downloadedfrom my Mac to the N900. I did not have to 'refresh library' to make the songs show up in the music library like I remember doing in Symbian devices.Album art also automatically showed up. There's a built-in FM transmitter if you want to play the music through the car radio or home stereo. By the way,Pandora and last.fm websiteswill work on the browser, but I found them to be laggy on the N900.

nokia_n900.jpg

Ovi Maps. I think Ovi maps is what I hate most about the Nokia N900. Searching is nowhere near the same level as Google maps on anyplatform so it's often hard to find places. There's also currently no voice navigation, but there is routing and tracking. Routing allows you to markthe destinations, while tracking follows the current position. The headache gets worse when the car hits a stop light. The map unexpectedly rotates, so Iforget whether it was a right or left turn at the intersection. Without the navigation, Maps is actually very snappy on the Nokia N900. Panning and zooming isresponsive to the touch. It also usually finds my location in less than a minute.

3rd-Party Apps. Check Maemo Select forthird-party applications. There isn't much right now and that could be turn-off for some. Since Maemo is still new, I'm sure the numbers will increaseeventually. I'll highlight apps that deserve attention in upcoming posts. We really have to depend more on the web browser than using standalone apps.There's a Twitter app called Mauku, but it's not even close to what Gravity onSymbian, Tweetdeck on iPhone, or Twidroid on Android offer. I resort to using the Dabr site for my Twitter activity on theN900. I'm also missing a music streaming application like Pandora, music-identiying magician like Shazam, and better map search with Google Maps. I'mglad the video-streaming Qik jumped on Maemoquickly. They've created their app in just a few days and have been updating frequently.
[h4]Cellular & VoIP[/h4]
Cellular call quality is fine. I can hear the other callers clearly and noone has complained of not hearing me. Since Skype is built-in, it's a little easier to make and receive VoIP calls. When using thephone, there's a quick drop-down to make it a cellular or Skype call on the fly. I tested it on the T-mobile USA 3G network and calls went through fine.However, there's one major flaw in this integration. Skype requires a '+' before the telephone numbers. Since I store my friends' numbers inthe format 11234567890, pressing the "call with Skype" option on the phonebook returns an invalid number. If I want to use Skype to call my friends,I have to manually add the '+' sign before the number.
[h4]Battery Life[/h4]
The Nokia N900 packs a removable 1320 mAh battery. I haven't done real objective tests, but I found my average usage on the Nokia N900 lasting me thewhole day. An example of heavier usage consisting of snapping several geotagged photos, shooting a couple of short videos, uploading, navigating with Ovi maps,checking email and tweeting lasted me about 7 hours.
[h4]Verdict[/h4]
No device is perfect, but I like the Nokia N900. It has a sharp screen, fast at multitasking, great at web browsing, awesome at taking and sharing photos,and nicely integrates accounts in the phonebook. At its current state, most of the user's activity will be on the browser. Buying the the Nokia N900 right now gives you a powerful internet tablet that makes calls and takes greatphotos too. However, it's open to more customizations, plugins, and applications that potentially make it better.

If you skipped the whole review and went straight to the summary, you'll miss that I had a few complaints. The good news is that most of those issuescan be fixed with firmware updates and the addition of more third party applications.

Is the Nokia N900 the best device to have right now? That's not an easy question to answer because there isn't one perfect device. It depends onwhat you need. I've recently cycled between the iPhone 3GS, Motorola Droid, Nokia N97, and Nokia N900. If applications or music is important to you, thenlook elsewhere. I need a device that has to have a good web browser AND a good camera. That makes the N900 the best device for me… better than the iPhone 3GS,Droid, and the N97.

From the Nokiablog website

Back
Top Bottom