Nokia N900- $50 rebate, Firefox now available.

Originally Posted by da703trailblaza

no but you need data to download the map unless you downloaded the data on your pc and load it onto your phone.

I already downloaded the maps thru wifi
but in the ovi maps, I won't find my position

did you turn off network positioning? it usually takes a while for the gps to connect, especially for the first time. network positioning makes thingssignificantly faster.

Originally Posted by shatterkneesinc

no but you need data to download the map unless you downloaded the data on your pc and load it onto your phone.

Do you have TM or AT&T

Originally Posted by Halftime718

Do you have TM or AT&T
TM, no data plan

I do too, did you install aim and msn yet? if you need help i found out how just let me know.

I was wondering how to install AIM when I first bought it about less than a month ago. Recently I was able to go on aim thru a recently-released app called"Pidgin internet messenger." Although I can go on AIM thru Pidgin, I am still wondering how you installed AIM. Thanks in advance.

I got pidgin also, though i heard you can also use it through Jabber but i haven't been able to get it to work.

Try putting he location server address as- supl.nokia.com

[h1]Nokia N900 Firmware Update PR1.1 Sent to Select Few - Still No PortraitBrowser[/h1]
December 25th, 2009 • Mark GuimFiled UnderShareThis

Filed Under: News

Tags: firmwareMaemon900

We're not sure when the next Nokia N900 firmware update will come out, but a few selected contributors received emails to join the testing. According to the Maemo community mailing list, Nokia is calling the maintenance update Fremantle PR1.1. While testers didn't sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA), they are encouraged not to share details about the unreleased firmware to the public.

4099331103_9e12f6a090.jpg

The selected testers were given the firmware update for the sole purpose of bug reporting. If you didn't know, you can also file bug reports about your Nokia N900 at bugs.maemo.org. I'm not testing PR1.1, but I've filed a few bug reports to make sure Nokia knows about the problems I've encountered. I'm also glad that one of the major bugs I noticed on the Nokia N900 will be fixed on a future firmware update.

According to a source testing PR1.1, the Nokia N900 feels snappier. However, some may be disappointed that web browsing in portrait view was not available on the update. That's not really a major problem for me since I prefer to browse the web with landscape view. Let us know if this is something you really want on the Nokia N900.

No information about release date was available. "It will go out when it's ready," says Quim Gil from Maemo Devices.

Rebate-

Do you have TM or AT&T
TM, no data plan

[h1]GPS Lock Taking Too Long? Try Google Location Server supl.google.com[/h1]
December 16th, 2009 • Mark GuimFiled UnderShareThis

Filed Under: FeaturedGuides Tags: gpsn900n97supl

If you're waiting too long for a GPS lock, try the location server supl.google.com instead. When I was using the Nokia N900 in Amsterdam, I was able to geotag photos in seconds. I became very suspicious when I came back in the US and it took much longer. I shrugged it off until a tip from the Maemo community suggested to replace Nokia's location server with Google. I'm happy to report that I now get a GPS lock in seconds!

suplgooglecom.jpg

I'm not sure why this is the case, but others in the US have confirmed changing the location server from supl.nokia.com to supl.google.com makes the GPS faster to find their location. I also got better results after replacing the server on the Nokia N97 mini as well.

Assisted GPS (A-GPS) uses the device's data connection to talk to these location servers to help triangulate positioning data even where GPS signal is poor, like when the device is surrounded by buildings or is indoors. You can change the server under your device settings. On the Nokia N900, it is found on Settings - Location.

Is it possible that Nokia's location server is broken in the US or am I being delusional? Try Google's and let me know if you see improvements.

[h1]Firefox Release Candidate 1 Now Available for Maemo -Nokia N900 & N810[/h1]
December 31st, 2009 • Mark GuimFiled UnderShareThis

Filed Under: News

Tags: firefoxMaemon900

Mozilla just released the first release candidate (RC1) of Firefox for Maemo. The Nokia N900 and N810 are supported devices. If you've been running the beta, they say RC1 is more polished and that text rendering has improved. You can download it now at firefox.com/m.

firefox.jpg

Firefox Mobile brings the Awesome Bar, add-ons, Weave, and location-aware browsing according to the Mozilla FAQs page. I just installed it, so I will report what I think in the next post. In the meantime, download and check it out yourself if you have a Nokia N900 (or the N810). The team is asking for feedback or bug reports as well, so head over to bugzilla.mozilla.org if you find any.

this phone isnt under any companies? i rly dont wanna pay $600+ for it..
what you guys think n900 or nexus one?

Do you have TM or AT&T
TM, no data plan

[h1]GPS Lock Taking Too Long? Try Google Location Server supl.google.com[/h1]
December 16th, 2009 • Mark GuimFiled UnderShareThis

Filed Under: FeaturedGuides Tags: gpsn900n97supl

If you're waiting too long for a GPS lock, try the location server supl.google.com instead. When I was using the Nokia N900 in Amsterdam, I was able to geotag photos in seconds. I became very suspicious when I came back in the US and it took much longer. I shrugged it off until a tip from the Maemo community suggested to replace Nokia's location server with Google. I'm happy to report that I now get a GPS lock in seconds!

suplgooglecom.jpg

I'm not sure why this is the case, but others in the US have confirmed changing the location server from supl.nokia.com to supl.google.com makes the GPS faster to find their location. I also got better results after replacing the server on the Nokia N97 mini as well.

Assisted GPS (A-GPS) uses the device's data connection to talk to these location servers to help triangulate positioning data even where GPS signal is poor, like when the device is surrounded by buildings or is indoors. You can change the server under your device settings. On the Nokia N900, it is found on Settings - Location.

Is it possible that Nokia's location server is broken in the US or am I being delusional? Try Google's and let me know if you see improvements.
thats what i am using now but it is not accurate at all
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by alleyzonjay

Only 3G with TMo and Edge with ATT, but im leaving the country this May and it's nice to have it unlocked/contract free. I pay $70 a month with Tmobilewith unlimited everything.

Originally Posted by alleyzonjay

Both the Chicago and NYC flagship stores are closing so keep your eyes open for possible discounts.

For people overseas,
NokiaRetail.co.uk Offering n900 on Vodafone

The are offering a FREE n900 + 600 minutes + unlimited txts + Unlimited Mobile Internet for £35 a month (on Vodafone).

[h1]Google Nexus One vs Nokia N900 Hardware Photos andFirst Impressions[/h1]
January 7th, 2010 • Mark GuimFiled UnderShareThis

Filed Under: Editorials

Tags: googleMaemon900nexus

In case you've been living under a rock, the Google Nexus One was announced, available for purchase, and shipped at the same time just a couple ofdays ago. Mine was just delivered and the first thing I wanted to do is compare it in size with Nokia's own super-phone, the Nokia N900. Take a look.
[h4]Photos[/h4]
4254761630_01a4101b9d.jpg

4253996799_982995bf0a.jpg

4254762752_4930cfe67a.jpg

4254763076_b165db7e75.jpg

4254763432_962e3fb87a.jpg

4254763748_b50b4e294d.jpg

[h4]Nexus One First Impressions[/h4]
So far, I'm blown away by the size and display of the Nexus One. It's more pocketable than the Nokia N900 because of its thickness. The colors on the display are richer and appear to stand out more than the N900 too.

I still need to get used to not having a real hardware keyboard on the Nexus because I've already misspelled plenty of messages. Correcting myself was annoying.

I don't have any complaints about the web browser after some quick browsing, but I didn't like it when websites forced me to use their mobile version.

Setting up the Nexus One was very fast. My Google mail, calendar, contacts were all synced right away after entering my email address. The Nokia N900 cannot currently sync all these three services using Exchange. As expected, there were also much more apps available on the Android device over Maemo.

I'll have a full review of the Google Nexus One soon after more usage. This is primarily a Nokia blog, so I'll place a lot of emphasis on comparing it with other Nokia devices especially the Nokia N900.

[h1]Nokia N900 for $479 at Dell with Coupon Expiring Jan 9th[/h1]
Use coupon code 8Q3R8HBT5HNWMD at Dell SB to get $120.99 off the Nokia N900. The total comes to $479 with free shipping. You may have to pay sales tax depending onwhere you live. This offer expires January 9th, 2010 while supplies last. I believe this is the current lowest price if you need to get one now.
dell_nokia_n900.jpg

If you haven't read it yet, check out my Nokia N900 review. It's currently my favorite device because of its excellent web browser and killer camera. However, it's not perfect. Its lack applications compared to other platforms may turn off potential buyers. Read the review for more details.

[h1]T-Mobile USA Upgraded to HSPA 7.2Mbps - Blazing Fast on NokiaN900[/h1]
T-Mobile has completely upgraded its entire 3G network to HSPA 7.2Mbps today according to Phonescoop. I busted out my Nokia N900 to test the speeds here in New York City and I was able to get about 6Mbps downloads and at least 1Mbps uploads!

Here are three consecutive speed tests from Speedtest.net. Yes… the Nokia N900 can actually run that website in the web browser unlike most, if not all, current phones in the market.

speedtest_.jpg

speedtest.jpg

speedtest_2.jpg

Does this mean AT&T have to stop saying they have the nation's fastest 3G network?

[h1]App: Camkeyd for Nokia N900 - Shortcut to Dashboard Using Camera Button[/h1]
[h1]� [/h1]

Camkeyd is nifty tool developed by Heikki Holstila that lets Nokia N900 users access the dashboard quickly by half-pressing the camera button. It is disabled when the lens cover is open so it doesn't mess with camera functionality. Read on for the video demo.

You can also watch this video in HD on Youtube. Subscribe to the channel to preview the latest videos before they get published on theblog.

Camkeyd is useful with fullscreen apps like the web browser on the Nokia N900. Without this tool, the usual way to see current open apps from fullscreen is by clicking expand on the lower right corner and then the dashboard icon on the top left. Camkeyd makes it even quicker with just one click. If you already have the keyboard open, pressing Ctl+Backspace provides the same result without installing any other apps.

Camkeyd is currently available in the Extras Development repository. Read the Maemo Extras guide to find out how to download apps from this repo. Make sure not to skip the information about the risks involved by installing apps from there.

Back
Top Bottom