NOPE - New Horror by Jordan Peele - 07/22/22

It’s crazy ol boy worked at Fry’s they must have filmed this while they were going out of business

They had huge retail space man and just like in the film it’s not that many people there during their last years in business

Nah. You just get permission to use the name, build an exterior for the exterior shot and then film the interior on a sound stage. I wouldn’t be surprised if the interior was CG.

It’s crazy ol boy worked at Fry’s they must have filmed this while they were going out of business

They had huge retail space man and just like in the film it’s not that many people there during their last years in business
In addition to the store being notable for it's alien invasion theme. Seems everything included in Peele's movies is calculated.

Keke was much needed in this. Overall I enjoyed it but it is a very slow build up. Gordy subplot seemed like a throw in and I didn’t get the direct connection to the main story/Glenn’s character development. You can talk in circles about the overarching symbolism and social commentary. I just focus on what’s happening in the movie.

Nothing like Us or Get Out, more like Peele’s take on M. Night’s Signs with a more rewarding final act because of the setting.

Keke was much needed in this. Overall I enjoyed it but it is a very slow build up. Gordy subplot seemed like a throw in and I didn’t get the direct connection to the main story/Glenn’s character development. You can talk in circles about the overarching symbolism and social commentary. I just focus on what’s happening in the movie.

Nothing like Us or Get Out, more like Peele’s take on M. Night’s Signs with a more rewarding final act because of the setting.
Basically glenns character was there to show that you may think you have a way with animals(fist bump) but at the end of the day they still are wild creatures and you can’t control them and have to respect that

First thing I said to my homie when we left the theater “what was the point of the chimp storyline?”

Def seemed like a deliberate addition to hammer home the point of…….something? Glenn’s character was a complete waste so I’m not sure how it ties in.

After reading the Time article posted, it certainly fits with the theme of greed/capitalism and the parallel to wild animals. If you didn’t read the article, one of the theories is:

Every plot line points to a metaphor to capitalism via trying to be greedy and tame a wild beast that shouldn’t be tamed.

-Gordy being exploited on a sitcom. Show runners chasing ratings. It’s a dangerous wild animal. Things go wrong.

-Hayward family built empire off exploiting wild horses to use as trick ponies on tv commercials. Horses kick things?

-the obvious alien that Glenn tries to exploit with Jupiter Claim. Things go very wrong.

-OJ and sis try to record the alien. Not to save the human race or for scientific purposes. But to gain fame and get on Oprah. Things go wrong.

-antler going for the money shot.

-tmz electric bike dude

-Best Buy tech guys backstory is he’s sad that his famous CW actress girlfriend broke up with him? This one is a reach but kinda works.

It’s like, yeah Gordy plot line was unnecessary, but it does kinda fit that theory, and to be honest it was easily the most terrifying thing about the horror.

I believe the Gordy storyline has more to do with the theme surrounding spectacle

I think it was to highlight that even with the trauma he faced, he is still willing to take part of the spectacle regarding Jean jacket and the eating of the horses

In the moment it wasn’t overtly clear how the Gordy incident impacted Glenn later in life to the point he was essentially the antithesis to Daniel/Keke. I guess he saw the spectacle in the chimp’s instincts and wanted to showcase it unlike Daniel who grew up taming horses and making that the spectacle. Basically Glenn wasn’t twisted enough on screen IMO to really drive home the significance of the Gordy scene. But that also could’ve been intentional social commentary on how unassuming normal people engage in questionable practices.

First impression was that Peele had a bigger budget and needed to spend it on something :lol:

Also Glenn’s character was too comfortable. That’s what the Gordy plays into it. He was “spared” which prob let him believe he was untouchable and could screw around with an alien

Sort like you get into a fight and knock somebody out. Then you go around acting like your untouchable and pick fights. One day you may find the right one

Also Glenn’s character was too comfortable. That’s what the Gordy plays into it. He was “spared” which prob let him believe he was untouchable and could screw around with an alien

Sort like you get into a fight and knock somebody out. Then you go around acting like your untouchable and pick fights. One day you may find the right one
He seemed pretty traumatized about it.

I believe the Gordy storyline has more to do with the theme surrounding spectacle

I think it was to highlight that even with the trauma he faced, he is still willing to take part of the spectacle regarding Jean jacket and the eating of the horses

It was hilarious he was sacrificing the horses, and was like yeah, I'll sell them back to you.

Damn NT not feeling this movie? I remember when a movie like this would have a 500+ page thread with theories. We falling off y'all.

My brother was only semi interested in it and told me to just tell him what happens and when I told him what the twist was about the "UFO" he rolled his eyes.

I'm glad Peele is doing what he wants and being creative but I really have no desire to watch the film again and was underwhelmed. Better than Us but yeah Get Out is the only movie of his I **** with like that

Back
Top Bottom