Norcal's GRUB Thread

Papaplote should be # 1 there salsa puts in over the top
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Although I do think La Vic's sauce is the best sauce I've ever had I wish there was one in the city I think it would be #3 or #4 on the list.

thanks bruh... after a few grape swishers....

papalote hits the spot. my boy went nuts after he found out you can buy the salsa online !!lol

Ate at Tamarindo last night in Oakland. (No pics, sorry). It was okay. I generally dont like tapas and when I want mexican I want a big plate of mexican food so once i got over that it was pretty good - got tamales, queso fundido, the corn on the cob, and the beef tacos. The tamales and corn on the cob were excellent. The beef tacos were a good version of street tacos but didnt have any salsa so it was dry. The Queso was fine - nothing special. Overall, it was good but not great and not worth the price. Next time its taco truck or bust

Originally Posted by DeNs415

^WWHHHAAAA?

Crazy Horse summit followed by some late night Viet sandwiches? Who is down!?

But why the hell would they even have Chipotle in the mix?

lets do it
laugh.gif
...we are due for a norcal summit

Let's ask Crazy Horse if they donate to a high school...10% of what we spend there goes to a high school of our choice, great cause.

Put it on a giant check "Crazy Horse/Niketalk donation"

Originally Posted by LORENander

add this to the list of ayce sushi buffets: kokyo's in downtown hayward. $8.95 for lunch, $15 for dinner. opened up a couple months ago, and its crackin' there. it has a typical chinese buffet layout, and though im not normally a fan of this type of buffet, the quality is better than todai, if anything comparable to makinos in las vegas. the sushi is made in front of you, and rolls tend to go kinda fast. its worth a try or two. 

I tried it out tonight. It was packed but the wait wasn't that bad. It was worth it. The price was very reasonable. I had my money's worth eating the sushi and crab. Parking sucks since its downtown so it's better to go during the weekend. It's a little out of the way for me but I will be back.
First plate and it's gotta be the sushi,

Anyone else been to Zabu Zabu in Berkeley? I really like this place. 30/person all you can eat small plates + hot pot noodes/meat.

Some pictures:

Sooo good. Some other plates included in all you can eat - Seaweed salad, tofu (really good!), chicken karage, and many more!

I didn't know gordo's was that well regarded. It's pretty good, just kinda surprising.

Originally Posted by Sco cuddie1

El Farolito 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

God what I would do for a burrito from there right now.
Finally made it there last night for the first time.  I had the chicken and it was excellent - an awesome burrito.  My only complaint was I ordered the Super Burrito and it didnt come with cheese or sour cream so it was really dry - just meant I had to douse it in salsa.  I need some time to think about where it ranks for me on the burrito scale but its certainly near if not at the top

Cant wait to go back! 

not surprised el farolito was #1. dude at the register allowed me to mix pollo and carne asada in on a super burrito without charging extra 
pimp.gif

i think taqueria cancun would come in a close second for me. wouldnt mind going there again but its hard to when farolito is just down the street. i like how cancun doesnt have as long of a line though after a night out. 

sorry but that top burrito list is crap. San Diego burritos > SF Burritos. Sorry to sound like a burrito snob but I'm a burrito snob (SAN DIEGO WHAT). Only spot that I support on that list is Papalote. If any if you guys have ventured out to SoCal and had a California Burrito and enjoyed it, I suggest hitting up Los Coyotes on 16 & Valencia. A lot of SD folks (including myself) gave it the approval on yelp

http://www.yelp.com/biz/t...ncisco#query:el%20coyote

Originally Posted by TiDE619

sorry but that top burrito list is crap. San Diego burritos > SF Burritos. Sorry to sound like a burrito snob but I'm a burrito snob (SAN DIEGO WHAT). Only spot that I support on that list is Papalote. If any if you guys have ventured out to SoCal and had a California Burrito and enjoyed it, I suggest hitting up Los Coyotes on 16 & Valencia. A lot of SD folks (including myself) gave it the approval on yelp

http://www.yelp.com/biz/t...ncisco#query:el%20coyote

I hear this all the time and we get it- San Diego has better burritos. It makes perfect sense given the proximity to, well, Mexico. At the same time though, we (the less fortunate ones here in the Bay) have to make due with what we have and the list provides that. 

Conversely, Northern California holds claim to being the better overall fine dining experience. Sorry to sound like a fine dining snob but I'm a fine dining snob (BAY AREA WHAT). San Diego only had one James Beard: Pacific nominated chef (William Bradley, Addison at the Grand del Mar, San Diego) whereas we can go on and on with the world renowned chefs nominated here in NorCal. The Michelin Guide, recognized as one of the foremost culinary guides, has 3 guides specific to the United States: New York, Chicago and, you guessed it, San Francisco. San Diego, eh, doesn't have it's own guide. You can always use Yelp though. Wanna take a stab where Yelp was started and is headquartered?

Now that's not to say SD doesn't have good food...they do (shout out to the Hash House).

^son.....the list is for SF burritos, not SD burritos.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Edit: I went to taqueria los coyotes for the california burrito, it was alright. My bad no pics, I forgot haha.

Originally Posted by itSjaSko

try out marnee thai (hope this wasnt repeated) im friends with the owner. delicious
I've had it. Irving right?

It's not bad, but pretty pricey. Gotta say, Chabaa's chicken in the curry is sorta dry...But still sooo good.

Tried el Coyote and the California Burrito on Saturday.

It was just ok. Fries have no business being in a burrito IMO. The horchata sucked too BTW.

Originally Posted by Luong1209

Originally Posted by itSjaSko

try out marnee thai (hope this wasnt repeated) im friends with the owner. delicious
I've had it. Irving right?

It's not bad, but pretty pricey. Gotta say, Chabaa's chicken in the curry is sorta dry...But still sooo good.
yep, Irving.
only drawback for me is the price

Originally Posted by Chris Wong 45

^son.....the list is for SF burritos, not SD burritos.

laugh.gif
 got em... how the hell is La Taqueria not on that list? La Taqueria = 
pimp.gif
If you thoroughly go though my post, I point out which SF burrito spot I support on that list and give some insight as to which SF burrito spot had a decent burrito (by my SD standards). And yea, the CA Burritos at Los Coyotes are alright. I've had three different CA Burritos up here and that one is the top of the three (the other two being Burrito Express and Under Dogs. 
and this may be random but Chris- do you live on Corbett ave?

Since I mentioned earlier about koyko's in hayward for sushi buffets,south bay heads can go to Eastridge mall in SJ. Its Tomi's, next to Red Robin, close by JC Penney. Its $12 for lunch. 

Back
Top Bottom