Norcal's GRUB Thread

Originally Posted by GrandaddyPurp415

Anybody ever eat at Roy's Hawaiian Fusion. Kinda upscale but hella good??

I've ate at the one in the city. I thought it was pretty good. The appetizer sampler is great because you get a little bit of everything.

Originally Posted by kingcrux31

^ Looks good

says the guy who eats balut, dog meat, and drinks mammary milk when given the opportunity
eyes.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

If you're looking for 'creative' sushi

Taraval Ozaku Ya
1735 Taraval Street
(between 27th Ave & 28th Ave)
San Francisco, CA 94116 (415) 759-6850
- menu

Had the sizzling sea bass last night and it was deelish.

l

Vietnamese rice dishes: Com Tam Dat Thanh, San Jose
l

Vietnamese sandwiches: Huong Lan, San Jose
l

Indian: Kabab and Curry's, Santa Clara
Pizza: Pizza Chicago, Santa Clara
l

Yogurt: Frozos, Santa Clara and Yogurtland, Cupertino
Sushi: TGI's Sushi Santa Clara, and Sushi Zen, San Jose
Sushi Zen pics
l

l

hey i know i posted here before but yea, does anyone know where i can get deep fried mushrooms in the city? i don't mean like a upscale joint, somethinglike a small eatery type of thing. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Originally Posted by DRIZZLE24

Video Cafe on 21st ave. and Geary

I'll vouch for the 3 amigos omelette
pimp.gif
...but I've been toldthat anything aside from this is
sick.gif

Yogurtland is dope
pimp.gif
, although their cups are way too big and you can easily eat way too much
laugh.gif
frown.gif

Ryowa Ramen (in Mtn. View and Berk) is a pretty good ramen place...
And Turmeric in Sunnyvale has a real nice Indian buffet on weekends...it's REALLY good-the yelp reviews are mostly positive.

edit-I went to Tartini (in Cupertino) and it's better than Yogurtland IMO. The flavors seemed better to me, although it was more expensive.

^pizza chicago :pimp:

ate there the other day with my bro and pop

i heard of a pizza spot off stevens creek that serves really good NY style pies...

^yogurtland is pretty dope, i live the decor. nice and modern. that geogia peach flavor yogurt is bomb i must say.

Some of my favorite places to eat in the Bay:

Pizza: Zachary's in Berkeley on College Ave. and Escape from New York Pizzain SF on Haight St. I can't pick one over the other. Zachary's has that deep dish, sit down and eat with a fork type pizza with a restaurant priceattached to it. Escape from New York has my favorite slice ever: the You Say Potato. The best pesto sauce, large slices of potato, roast garlic... you justcan't find a better slice.

Sushi: Kamakura in Alameda on Santa Clara Ave. The best sushi in the Bay Area in my opinion (don't be fooled bySushi House on the other side of Alameda
sick.gif
). Fresh fish, large variedmenu, and extremely nice waitstaff. If you go here, make sure to grab a seat at the sushi bar because you get a small seafood/cucumber appetizer on the houseas well as some fruit at the end of your meal (sitting at a regular table doesn't have these perks). Even if the food here was just average, I'd stillcome here just for the service. The owner of the place, this tiny Japanese woman, is just such a warm person. She greets all her guests and at the end of themeal, she'll offer some kind of wine to adults and rice candy to the kids. I've been going here for a good 5 years now and I still take the rice candy
laugh.gif

Thai: Osha in SF at either the 2nd St or Marina locations. This place might not be entirely "traditional" andthey serve a lot of the the business type people (especially at 2nd St and Embarcadero) but they serve the best Thai food I've had. Their various locationsare always nicely decorated too so this would be a great place to take a date or for a birthday or something.

Breakfast: Stacks in Burlingame on California or Hamburger Haven in SF onClement St. Kinda two different types of breakfast places. Stacks is a bit more upscale and their prices are higher but they serve huge portions and their foodis unbelievable (the scrambles
eek.gif
). Generally there's quite a bit of await during the weekends (usually around 30 minutes) but it's a nice area with a lot of shops (they even have a farmers market on a nearby street oncertain days). Hamburger Haven is more of a traditional breakfast diner (other than the fact that the cook is some Chinese dude
laugh.gif
) but they serve some of the best breakfast in the city.

"Asian Fusion": I hate the term but hey, this bastard food group tastes pretty good. My favorite is PacificCatch in SF in the Marina. They take seafood and present it in a couple different ways. I really recommend the ahi poke rice bowls (they're HUGE)and the sweet potato fries. Once you have sweet potato fries, you'll never want to go back to some regular 'ole Mickey D's fries. If rice isn'tyour thing, they've also got some amazing fish tacos although they're not nearly big enough to fill you up like the rice bowls.

Originally Posted by realxfresh

yoswirl ftw! good ice cream for the weather.

I was hella excited when i found yoswirl because it was the first fro-yo place I knew of in the bay since being back from school in socal. After gettingover my initial excitement, i realized this place just isn't...that good. For some unknown reason, they are they only frozen yogurt place i've been towhere their yogurt has been consistently watery. I've never had yogurt anywhere else melt as fast as theirs
sick.gif
. I go to Yogen Fruz or Tuttimelon now for my yogurt cravings.

I don't know if this is only the bay, but Johnny Rockets in downtown
pimp.gif

Also, if you like eggrolls, King's eggrolls on Story are amazing.

Both in SJ btw

I was hella excited when i found yoswirl because it was the first fro-yo place I knew of in the bay since being back from school in socal. After getting over my initial excitement, i realized this place just isn't...that good. For some unknown reason, they are they only frozen yogurt place i've been to where their yogurt has been consistently watery. I've never had yogurt anywhere else melt as fast as theirs
sick.gif

Coming from the east bay, I'd rather drive to Frozo's to get some better quality yogurt.

Oh, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but if you're in the Hayward area, Chavez Supermarket off Tennyson now sells carne asada fries. Thecarne asada is pretty unique in flavor, but they don't pack the box like Taqueria Las Vegas does.

Originally Posted by LORENander

I was hella excited when i found yoswirl because it was the first fro-yo place I knew of in the bay since being back from school in socal. After getting over my initial excitement, i realized this place just isn't...that good. For some unknown reason, they are they only frozen yogurt place i've been to where their yogurt has been consistently watery. I've never had yogurt anywhere else melt as fast as theirs
sick.gif

Coming from the east bay, I'd rather drive to Frozo's to get some better quality yogurt.

Oh, I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but if you're in the Hayward area, Chavez Supermarket off Tennyson now sells carne asada fries. The carne asada is pretty unique in flavor, but they don't pack the box like Taqueria Las Vegas does.

where's Frozo's?

Originally Posted by LORENander

^^ frozo's is off lafayette street in santa clara next to SCU.

santa clara
eek.gif
i live in the east bay too (san leandro) but i thinki've been to santa clara like...twice in my life.

went back to yoswirl today (went to Food Talk Cafe for wonton noodles... they changed their noodles and they suck now) and their yogurt was up to par thistime around. wasn't the same sloppy wet mess i've had the displeasure of eating on previous visits.

Originally Posted by DL2352

Some of my favorite places to eat in the Bay:

Pizza: Zachary's in Berkeley on College Ave. and Escape from New York Pizza in SF on Haight St. I can't pick one over the other. Zachary's has that deep dish, sit down and eat with a fork type pizza with a restaurant price attached to it. Escape from New York has my favorite slice ever: the You Say Potato. The best pesto sauce, large slices of potato, roast garlic... you just can't find a better slice.

Sushi: Kamakura in Alameda on Santa Clara Ave. The best sushi in the Bay Area in my opinion (don't be fooled by Sushi House on the other side of Alameda
sick.gif
). Fresh fish, large varied menu, and extremely nice waitstaff. If you go here, make sure to grab a seat at the sushi bar because you get a small seafood/cucumber appetizer on the house as well as some fruit at the end of your meal (sitting at a regular table doesn't have these perks). Even if the food here was just average, I'd still come here just for the service. The owner of the place, this tiny Japanese woman, is just such a warm person. She greets all her guests and at the end of the meal, she'll offer some kind of wine to adults and rice candy to the kids. I've been going here for a good 5 years now and I still take the rice candy
laugh.gif

Thai: Osha in SF at either the 2nd St or Marina locations. This place might not be entirely "traditional" and they serve a lot of the the business type people (especially at 2nd St and Embarcadero) but they serve the best Thai food I've had. Their various locations are always nicely decorated too so this would be a great place to take a date or for a birthday or something.

Breakfast: Stacks in Burlingame on California or Hamburger Haven in SF on Clement St. Kinda two different types of breakfast places. Stacks is a bit more upscale and their prices are higher but they serve huge portions and their food is unbelievable (the scrambles
eek.gif
). Generally there's quite a bit of a wait during the weekends (usually around 30 minutes) but it's a nice area with a lot of shops (they even have a farmers market on a nearby street on certain days). Hamburger Haven is more of a traditional breakfast diner (other than the fact that the cook is some Chinese dude
laugh.gif
) but they serve some of the best breakfast in the city.

"Asian Fusion": I hate the term but hey, this bastard food group tastes pretty good. My favorite is Pacific Catch in SF in the Marina. They take seafood and present it in a couple different ways. I really recommend the ahi poke rice bowls (they're HUGE) and the sweet potato fries. Once you have sweet potato fries, you'll never want to go back to some regular 'ole Mickey D's fries. If rice isn't your thing, they've also got some amazing fish tacos although they're not nearly big enough to fill you up like the rice bowls.
There's a Stacks in SF across the street from HUF Hayes.

Bacon & Onion Skillet FTW.
smokin.gif

i've had the kobe once at alexander's steak house in cupertino. it was my only time so i can't compare it to something else, but it was definitelygood. sliced like butter. definitely a lot of other nice steaks there though like dry aged,

Has anyone tried Slanted Door ? I made reservations for an anniversary 1 month in advance and the only time I could get was 5:30. Is this place worth the hype? ( I've been to most of the other steak houses and restaurants in the Financial/Downtown area )

Originally Posted by deliSOLEous

If you like sandwiches, you should check out Mr. Pickles. They got one by DCPD and one in SSF. It's pretty good imo..
Had this for the first time today

pimp.gif

Number 15 FTW(hot turkey-Bacon-avocado-Jack Cheese)

Pic(kinada crappy)

Kinders is now an afterthought.

I need more sandwich spots in the 510 & 925 PLEASE
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom