Nothing is real, your mind creates everything around you

How do I know you all are even real how do I know that you all aren't just bits and pieces of my conscious made to keep me in check and prove that the world I live in is real

How do I know you all are even real how do I know that you all aren't just bits and pieces of my conscious made to keep me in check and prove that the world I live in is real

morpheus-red-or-blue-pill-the.jpg

Originally Posted by Drips510

So if i have a child and raise him telling him he can create anything with his mind will he create things when he is older?
It's an interesting psychological experiment, but damn, a lot could go wrong when that child gets older
laugh.gif

So if i have a child and raise him telling him he can create anything with his mind will he create things when he is older?
It's an interesting psychological experiment, but damn, a lot could go wrong when that child gets older
laugh.gif

Yea but then why would my mind put me in harm's way and kill it's own self. This argument starts to get convoluted really quick, i.e., if the mind creates everything around us, how is it that we were conceived by two beings. There's no way possible my mind created them before conception since I wasn't. Also, this idea of mind could not have possibly been created by the same mind in which you say creates everything around us. Because then you'd be dealing with cause-and-effect without the cause. And that just isn't possible.

Yea but then why would my mind put me in harm's way and kill it's own self. This argument starts to get convoluted really quick, i.e., if the mind creates everything around us, how is it that we were conceived by two beings. There's no way possible my mind created them before conception since I wasn't. Also, this idea of mind could not have possibly been created by the same mind in which you say creates everything around us. Because then you'd be dealing with cause-and-effect without the cause. And that just isn't possible.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

laugh.gif

The problem with such an experiment is that fact that, the child will more than likely ask you to show him/her (via instruction/teaching) how to create things with his/her mind.

You as the adult obviously lack the capacity and the ability, so you'll never be able to teach the child. And well, you're back to square one.

laugh.gif

The problem with such an experiment is that fact that, the child will more than likely ask you to show him/her (via instruction/teaching) how to create things with his/her mind.

You as the adult obviously lack the capacity and the ability, so you'll never be able to teach the child. And well, you're back to square one.

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

your mind creates itself from experience, what if their was a mind controlling you before your present "conception" that just wanted to restart things so like I said it created a tabula rasa deal.
Any and everything is up for debate...as is the word possible/impossible.  

your mind creates itself from experience, what if their was a mind controlling you before your present "conception" that just wanted to restart things so like I said it created a tabula rasa deal.

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

laugh.gif

Not if placed in a manipulated experiment.  For example, rig the room with contraptions that you, as a parent, can "prove" to the child that you manipulated with your mind
eek.gif

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

I was a philosophy major; I know everything is up for debate.

A similar argument to the one you proposed was made by Berkeley, but his idea of mind was different.

Also, we can't change the argument for it to make sense. OP was strictly referring to our own mind, not another mind that controls us in the interim until we come into being. We can't get far with this argument.

I was a philosophy major; I know everything is up for debate.

A similar argument to the one you proposed was made by Berkeley, but his idea of mind was different.

Also, we can't change the argument for it to make sense. OP was strictly referring to our own mind, not another mind that controls us in the interim until we come into being. We can't get far with this argument.

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

laugh.gif

Not if placed in a manipulated experiment.  For example, rig the room with contraptions that you, as a parent, can "prove" to the child that you manipulated with your mind
eek.gif

then again, I knew a guy who truly believed he could fly... he believed he could touch the sky (real talk).  He would even think about every night and day, something about spreading his wings and flying away.  He ended up in jail though 
tired.gif

610x.jpg

then again, I knew a guy who truly believed he could fly... he believed he could touch the sky (real talk).  He would even think about every night and day, something about spreading his wings and flying away.  He ended up in jail though 
tired.gif

610x.jpg

your mind creates itself from [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]experience[/color], what if their was a mind controlling you before your present "conception" that just wanted to restart things so like I said it created a tabula rasa deal.

That word right there nullifies this whole argument/OP's point.

Experience? From whence forth does this experience come from?

So this supposedly omniscient mind is creating the very experience that will serve as the foundation for it's creation, formulation, development...effectively it's world...etc?

And even if that was possible, what's the reference point for the creation of this thing known as "experience"?

Surely you can see how this whole thing is all @!$!!% up...
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom