Nothing is real, your mind creates everything around you

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Yea but then why would my mind put me in harm's way and kill it's own self. This argument starts to get convoluted really quick, i.e., if the mind creates everything around us, how is it that we were conceived by two beings. There's no way possible my mind created them before conception since I wasn't. Also, this idea of mind could not have possibly been created by the same mind in which you say creates everything around us. Because then you'd be dealing with cause-and-effect without the cause. And that just isn't possible.
your mind creates itself from [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]experience[/color], what if their was a mind controlling you before your present "conception" that just wanted to restart things so like I said it created a tabula rasa deal.
Any and everything is up for debate...as is the word possible/impossible.  

That word right there nullifies this whole argument/OP's point.

Experience? From whence forth does this experience come from?

So this supposedly omniscient mind is creating the very experience that will serve as the foundation for it's creation, formulation, development...effectively it's world...etc?

And even if that was possible, what's the reference point for the creation of this thing known as "experience"?

Surely you can see how this whole thing is all @!$!!% up...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

Originally Posted by UnkleTomCruze

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

It's an interesting psychological experiment, but damn, a lot could go wrong when that child gets older
laugh.gif

The problem with such an experiment is that fact that, the child will more than likely ask you to show him/her (via instruction/teaching) how to create things with his/her mind.

You as the adult obviously lack the capacity and the ability, so you'll never be able to teach the child. And well, you're back to square one.

Not if placed in a manipulated experiment.  For example, rig the room with contraptions that you, as a parent, can "prove" to the child that you manipulated with your mind
eek.gif
Hmmm, we may be onto something here.

It's an interesting psychological experiment, but damn, a lot could go wrong when that child gets older
laugh.gif

The problem with such an experiment is that fact that, the child will more than likely ask you to show him/her (via instruction/teaching) how to create things with his/her mind.

You as the adult obviously lack the capacity and the ability, so you'll never be able to teach the child. And well, you're back to square one.

Not if placed in a manipulated experiment.  For example, rig the room with contraptions that you, as a parent, can "prove" to the child that you manipulated with your mind
eek.gif

Yea but then why would my mind put me in harm's way and kill it's own self. This argument starts to get convoluted really quick, i.e., if the mind creates everything around us, how is it that we were conceived by two beings. There's no way possible my mind created them before conception since I wasn't. Also, this idea of mind could not have possibly been created by the same mind in which you say creates everything around us. Because then you'd be dealing with cause-and-effect without the cause. And that just isn't possible.
your mind creates itself from experience, what if their was a mind controlling you before your present "conception" that just wanted to restart things so like I said it created a tabula rasa deal.
I was a philosophy major; I know everything is up for debate.

A similar argument to the one you proposed was made by Berkeley, but his idea of mind was different.

Also, we can't change the argument for it to make sense. OP was strictly referring to our own mind, not another mind that controls us in the interim until we come into being. We can't get far with this argument.
Word, I actually just wrote my term paper on Berkeley's theory of Phenomenalism and Locke's Representative Realism... Perception is ill.

One of the arguments against the whole "My mind creates the world" is the consistency of said world. In erratic emotional states, wouldn't that alter the world you're in? Questions like this usually defeat these kinds of theories.

your mind creates itself from experience, what if their was a mind controlling you before your present "conception" that just wanted to restart things so like I said it created a tabula rasa deal.
I was a philosophy major; I know everything is up for debate.

A similar argument to the one you proposed was made by Berkeley, but his idea of mind was different.

Also, we can't change the argument for it to make sense. OP was strictly referring to our own mind, not another mind that controls us in the interim until we come into being. We can't get far with this argument.
Word, I actually just wrote my term paper on Berkeley's theory of Phenomenalism and Locke's Representative Realism... Perception is ill.

One of the arguments against the whole "My mind creates the world" is the consistency of said world. In erratic emotional states, wouldn't that alter the world you're in? Questions like this usually defeat these kinds of theories.

your mind creates itself from [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]experience[/color], what if their was a mind controlling you before your present "conception" that just wanted to restart things so like I said it created a tabula rasa deal.

So this supposedly omniscient mind is creating the very experience that will serve as the foundation for it's creation, formulation, development...effectively it's world...etc?

And even if that was possible, what's the reference point for the creation of this thing known as "experience"?

laugh.gif

i'm not saying it's creating the experience otherwise I would not get the point...more like imo their is one giant collective mind/consciousness (the source, the essence..whatever you want to call it) that separated into each individual mind on the planet just in order to gather "experiences" it couldn't get as a whole.  The "experience(s)" are up to us individuals to create...life in general could just be one giant experience or we could separate them into daily interactions...
I have a bunch of theories...some I thought up and some based on some readings i've done...but I still feel we all still know nothing....yet.  I also feel we haven't reached a stage where we are ready to know the truth of it all...so until then all we can do is follow our individual paths and try and be happy.

laugh.gif

i'm not saying it's creating the experience otherwise I would not get the point...more like imo their is one giant collective mind/consciousness (the source, the essence..whatever you want to call it) that separated into each individual mind on the planet just in order to gather "experiences" it couldn't get as a whole.  The "experience(s)" are up to us individuals to create...life in general could just be one giant experience or we could separate them into daily interactions...
I have a bunch of theories...some I thought up and some based on some readings i've done...but I still feel we all still know nothing....yet.  I also feel we haven't reached a stage where we are ready to know the truth of it all...so until then all we can do is follow our individual paths and try and be happy.

eek.gif
What in the Truman  show is going on in here

eek.gif
What in the Truman  show is going on in here

eek.gif

And what happens when the time comes for y'all to go outside somewhere?

Do you rig the entire world, word to the Truman Show?

laugh.gif

eek.gif

And what happens when the time comes for y'all to go outside somewhere?

Do you rig the entire world, word to the Truman Show?

laugh.gif

BTW OP, you should check out Descartes's Meditations on First Philosophy. Your mind will be pillaged.

You taking a Philosophy course too?

roll.gif

But some of the concepts are
pimp.gif

BTW OP, you should check out Descartes's Meditations on First Philosophy. Your mind will be pillaged.

roll.gif

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by MOSTHATED770

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

What the hell did you just say?
laugh.gif

OP, real talk, starting at the 1:07 mark, Alan Watts speaks on this very subject. Let me know what you think.
I watched twice but I had a hard time grasping exactly what he was trying to say

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by MOSTHATED770

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

What the hell did you just say?
laugh.gif

OP, real talk, starting at the 1:07 mark, Alan Watts speaks on this very subject. Let me know what you think.
I watched twice but I had a hard time grasping exactly what he was trying to say

Originally Posted by soltheman

roll.gif

pimp.gif
I read Descartes last year in Philosophy, good stuff

Originally Posted by soltheman

roll.gif

pimp.gif
I read Descartes last year in Philosophy, good stuff

Back
Top Bottom