*****NT Debt and Law experts Please come in VOL. Kind of a long read*****

My boy is in some debt problems and asked for help. I myself have nothing to offer but i thought who better then NT? He's trying to pay as little as possible or hopefully nothing at all. This the post he sent me. If you guys can help me in anyway i'd be extremely thankful!

Post-
"
1. Who is the named plaintiff in the suit? - Cavalry SPV I, LLC

2. What is the name of the law firm handling the suit? (should be listed at the top of the complaint.) - Stuart R. Blatt and Jeffrey N Pritzker

3. How much are you being sued for? - $2627.91

4. Who is the original creditor? (if not the Plaintiff) - Bank Of America

5. How do you know you are being sued? (You were served, right?) - Was served

6. How were you served? (Mail, In person, Notice on door) - In Person, left with someone at the house

7. Was the service legal as required by your state? - Yes

Process Service Requirements by State - - Summons Complaint

8. What was your correspondence (if any) with the people suing you before you think you were being sued? ,- I have never talked to plaintiff.

9. What state and county do you live in? - Maryland

10. When is the last time you paid on this account? (looking to establish if you are outside of the statute of limitations) - According to the papers they sent, March 16 2010

11. What is the SOL on the debt? To find out: - 3 years for Maryland

12. What is the status of your case? Suit served? Motions filed? You can find this by a) calling the court or looking it up online (many states have this information posted - when you find the online court site, search by case number or your name). Status: - Court date is May 15 2013, the status is active

13. Have you disputed the debt with the credit bureaus (both the original creditor and the collection agency?) - No

14. Did you request debt validation before the suit was filed? Note: if you haven't sent a debt validation request, don't bother doing this now - it's too late. - No

15. How long do you have to respond to the suit? (This should be in your paperwork). If you don't respond to the lawsuit notice you will lose automatically. In 99% of the cases, they will require you to answer the summons, and each point they are claiming. We need to know what the "charges" are. Please post what they are claiming. Did you receive an interrogatory (questionnaire) regarding the lawsuit?

-I dont see a list of complaints but there is a form I need to fill out and return to court within 15 days after I receive the summons. It's called a Notice of Intention to Defend.

16. What evidence did they send with the summons? An affidavit? Statements from the OC? Contract? List anything else they attached as exhibits. -Statements, their receipt for acquisition of the debt and a credit card contract

I have no idea how to answer this and am not sure what to do. I don't have the money for a lawyer and even then I am not sure if I have the leverage to win this case. Is there any chance to settle outside of court? Should I try to settle outside of court? I have really no idea what to do. Any help and advice would be appreciated."

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that.  I'm pretty sure their should be some local services that are able to help/assist him with those matters.  Get him back on the right track

I can vouch. I am the law and he is no student of mine.

If they'll take a settlement, then it's worth a shot. However, he's already got a judgement against him, so there's not much incentive for the collector to take less knowing that the court has already ruled in his favor and that he has not previously tried to settle with them. The only reason they would be willing to accept it is if they believe that he is unable to pay. Otherwise, they'll take a lien out on his accounts and garnish his wages until it's paid back.

They actually have not made judgement yet so far they've only served him the papers and he's required to respond in a week.

Back
Top Bottom