NT: I Quit My Job and I've NEVER Felt Better

Hey everyone,

I haven't been as active as I would like to be until recently thanks to the daily grind of 12 hour workdays. Last night, I finally decided that I'd had enough.

I had my ankle rebuilt about 3 weeks ago, and since, my dad had his 2nd stroke in 3 months, my grandpa's cancer went into overdrive, and I was starting to lose hope.

I worked at a TWO person company (me and the owner), and he really started riding me after all of this, literally criticizing everything I did, trying to use my personal dedication to feel dependent on his paycheck.

Finally, I snapped. I didn't go out with a bang, I just resigned quietly. It's not in my nature to quit a job before I have a new one, but for the first time in years I was having feelings of hopelessness, despair, and anxiety. Those are gone now.

I don't know what I'm going to do next -- perhaps try my hand at developing a few websites I've had in the works. Maybe I'll find a job following something for fun. I don't know, but I feel optimistic about the future.

For all of you who are stuck and feel trapped: it CAN be done.

I read James Altucher's blog nearly every day, and he helped me realize I should focus on simplicity and happiness rather than having my self-worth determined by a man who doesn't care about me.

Here's the link to his blog: http://www.jamesaltucher.com/

Bottom line: I'm not one to post much about my personal life on NT (or even start threads) or turn to the General section for advice, but I hope someone can read this short story and discover some hope. Life is too short to spend days sulking in extreme misery. I'm going to choose myself, and if I fail, I fail.

Any independent NT'ers have advice to offer? Anything and everything is on the table.

:pimp:

congrats dude. life is much more than an 8-5. i learned that it's not for me.

I was doing the 8 until 7-9, and I didn't even mind it when it was a positive working environment.

Thanks for all the support y'all. This is why I love NT, and 9 years later, I don't see myself ever leaving.

What was even worse, IMO, was this dude REFUSED to show me financial information. This was after 1.5 years working with him AND I ran the company for 2 months, no questions asked, as he went through a divorce. I was literally grinding out work ALL day, handling all client interactions, and trying to keep the business from failing.

Seeing someone ride me to the point of quitting after 3 weeks of me dealing with personal hard times was beyond disturbing.

I quit my job recently as well. I was there for almost 4 years and the company promised me a lot, but never happened, so I quit because I didnt like being lied to.

I have sidecar/lyft (taxi driver service) to hold me over until I find a real job. Look into them if you live in a big city, they might be present there.

Good luck man!

Good luck OP.

Think everyone should at least try to start their own business.

That being told what to do life, I aint bout it.

congrats on the self realization but moreso for the blog, been looking for a read like that

i like working but there is always so much outside pressure that turns work into so much more than it should be...student loans, credit card bills, mortgages, stuntin, trickin, retirement, investing, etc can turn what you do for money, into your life so you invest so much personally into it...

im trying to learn to seperate myself from my job and be more aware of certain outside traps that can turn it in something that tears you up inside

I quit my job recently as well. I was there for almost 4 years and the company promised me a lot, but never happened, so I quit because I didnt like being lied to.

I have sidecar/lyft (taxi driver service) to hold me over until I find a real job. Look into them if you live in a big city, they might be present there.

Good luck man!

I actually already signed up for Lyft, but I can't drive for another month and a half until my ankle heals up. Good looking out !

congrats on the self realization but moreso for the blog, been looking for a read like that

i like working but there is always so much outside pressure that turns work into so much more than it should be...student loans, credit card bills, mortgages, stuntin, trickin, retirement, investing, etc can turn what you do for money, into your life so you invest so much personally into it...

im trying to learn to seperate myself from my job and be more aware of certain outside traps that can turn it in something that tears you up inside

Ain't that the truth? I've luckily mostly avoided traps of materialism, so I have the money in the bank to be fine for a while. Definitely start your own blog, read about what drives web traffic and go for it. We're very fortunate to live in a time where the Internet has revolutionized life and empowered individuals to fight back against corporate slavery.

Again, thanks everyone for the support! It makes a hard decision feel easy!

I took a blind leap of faith and quit both of my jobs back in 2009. I dont regret it at all.

Been self employed ever since. Make more $$$ now than I did at both jobs combined.

Be free brutha.

Stay hungry. Be happy.
I see you out there baby boy

roll.gif

roll.gif

Hope it works out in the end for you fam.

Best of luck to you as well as your family.

Last edited:
Good for you, fam. You literally just did what 90% of people in the work place want to do but don't have the guts to do. Including me. Hope it all works out in the end.

He won you lost. He wanted you gone for some reason that only the both of you know

Back
Top Bottom