NT Lawyers or law students, help out.

iblink

Banned
I'm going into my junior year this semester and I plan on taking my LSAT next October. I figure if I go hard for the next year and a half, I'll be able to graduate with at least a 3.2 - 3.4. What law schools can I realistically get into with a GPA like that and a good score on the LSAT?

What were you GPA's and LSAT combinations?
If you don't mind, can you share what you did to prepare for the LSAT, and what law schools you got in to?

I don't want to waste any more time. I know how fast a year can fly by and I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

I'm going into my junior year this semester and I plan on taking my LSAT next October. I figure if I go hard for the next year and a half, I'll be able to graduate with at least a 3.2 - 3.4. What law schools can I realistically get into with a GPA like that and a good score on the LSAT?

What were you GPA's and LSAT combinations?
If you don't mind, can you share what you did to prepare for the LSAT, and what law schools you got in to?

I don't want to waste any more time. I know how fast a year can fly by and I'm trying to be as prepared as possible.

If you want to get into a top 14 school with less than a 3.5 you'll need to be at or around 170.

I used the PowerScore Bibles.

If you want to get into a top 14 school with less than a 3.5 you'll need to be at or around 170.

I used the PowerScore Bibles.

Originally Posted by iBlink

Did you take the Kaplan course? Is it even recommended?
Didn't take any courses. Some people find them helpful, some find them useless. If you're used to having stuff broken down for you by an instructor it'll probably help. If you can figure stuff out yourself out of a book then I'd recommend just raping the PowerScore Bibles for a 2-3 months. 
Also, studying for the LSAT is no joke. Every single point/question matters and a 2-point increase could be the difference between a rejection and an acceptance. So if you're gonna take it, do it right. Dedicate your life to the test for 2-3 months, cut out all unnecessary activities/time-wasters, and just immerse yourself in it. 

Did you take the Kaplan course? Is it even recommended?
Didn't take any courses. Some people find them helpful, some find them useless. If you're used to having stuff broken down for you by an instructor it'll probably help. If you can figure stuff out yourself out of a book then I'd recommend just raping the PowerScore Bibles for a 2-3 months. 
Also, studying for the LSAT is no joke. Every single point/question matters and a 2-point increase could be the difference between a rejection and an acceptance. So if you're gonna take it, do it right. Dedicate your life to the test for 2-3 months, cut out all unnecessary activities/time-wasters, and just immerse yourself in it. 

That's the plan. If you don't mind my asking, what did you make on the LSAT? What goa did you graduate with, and what schools did you get in to?

That's the plan. If you don't mind my asking, what did you make on the LSAT? What goa did you graduate with, and what schools did you get in to?

3.7 final GPA, 4.0 last 2 years of UG. (positive grade trend helps).
170 LSAT. Got into Michigan, Duke, Georgetown, Fordham, GW, etc. Went to UVa. 

I'm trying to decide on whether to take the course or not. $1000 isn't pocket change for me, and I have a buddy who took the class and ended up having to schedule a retake of the actual test. So I'm hesitant to take it if scores aren't guaranteed. I'm going to look into the powersocres bibles you mentioned.

I'm trying to decide on whether to take the course or not. $1000 isn't pocket change for me, and I have a buddy who took the class and ended up having to schedule a retake of the actual test. So I'm hesitant to take it if scores aren't guaranteed. I'm going to look into the powersocres bibles you mentioned.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

PersiaFly, I think by the time I graduate, I'll have a 3.4, and I know that I'm capable of getting 170+. Do I have a shot at a T14? How about UVA?

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

PersiaFly, I think by the time I graduate, I'll have a 3.4, and I know that I'm capable of getting 170+. Do I have a shot at a T14? How about UVA?

Pretty sad that this has to be asked but, what race are you? That's gonna play a pretty big role regarding what your target schools are. Not to mention its gonna be all speculation until you at least have a rough estimate of what your LSAT will be.

Pretty sad that this has to be asked but, what race are you? That's gonna play a pretty big role regarding what your target schools are. Not to mention its gonna be all speculation until you at least have a rough estimate of what your LSAT will be.

(Sigh)

First of all, if you are thinking of going to law school, don't do it. The market is highly saturated. Most established attorneys are baby boomers and they are not willing to relinquish their positions any time soon. Granted, they will eventually have to retire, leaving behind a huge vacuum, but that is still years away.

If you are interested in sophistry, I mean, "law," I suggest getting into a top tier school. That requires grades and a solid LSAT score. I can't stress the LSAT score enough. I have seen many slack jawed troglodytes get into top flight schools simply because they test well on standardized exams. I have seen just as many brilliantly intelligent students get locked out of the top tier schools simply because of their LSAT score.

Seems like your GPA is capped at 3.4, so you might want to take the test prep course and focus on acing the LSAT. Try to shoot for 165 and above. That, coupled with strong extracurriculars and a strong personal statement might get you into a top 20 maybe top 15 whorehouse, I mean law school. Be mindful: the number law school applicants skyrockets during recessions, so you'll be up against some serious competition.

(Sigh)

First of all, if you are thinking of going to law school, don't do it. The market is highly saturated. Most established attorneys are baby boomers and they are not willing to relinquish their positions any time soon. Granted, they will eventually have to retire, leaving behind a huge vacuum, but that is still years away.

If you are interested in sophistry, I mean, "law," I suggest getting into a top tier school. That requires grades and a solid LSAT score. I can't stress the LSAT score enough. I have seen many slack jawed troglodytes get into top flight schools simply because they test well on standardized exams. I have seen just as many brilliantly intelligent students get locked out of the top tier schools simply because of their LSAT score.

Seems like your GPA is capped at 3.4, so you might want to take the test prep course and focus on acing the LSAT. Try to shoot for 165 and above. That, coupled with strong extracurriculars and a strong personal statement might get you into a top 20 maybe top 15 whorehouse, I mean law school. Be mindful: the number law school applicants skyrockets during recessions, so you'll be up against some serious competition.

Back
Top Bottom