NT Lawyers or law students, help out.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

To the guys in law school or finished law school, how do/did you like it and if you had the chance to go back in time would you have chosen a different career path?

About 2 years ago I spent over $200 on LSAT prep tests and the bibles and I also registered with LSAC and spent the money to send my transcript in but I still havent studied for the LSAT yet. I'm not sure if law school is for me but I think I have the skills to be a good law student but I'm just questioning whether I'd want to be a lawyer. I dont really care about making a lot of money but more so about doing something I actually like.
I'm happy with my decision, but not necessarily because law school has been a dream.  In 6 months I'll have my degree, and I'm not sure what else I could've done in 3 years to put myself in a better position to make a living. Not trying to brag or sound like a **** but maybe I'd feel differently if I went to a lower ranked school. Not sure it's justifiable at this point to pay sticker to go to a non top-25 school. 
I came to law school (top 20) b/c I wanted to do something that involved thinking, but that would allow me to help people in some way. Silly me. On both counts. I paid 6 figures for training to be a sophist.

On the other hand, I'm having Chipotle for dinner tonight, so I'm pleased.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

To the guys in law school or finished law school, how do/did you like it and if you had the chance to go back in time would you have chosen a different career path?

About 2 years ago I spent over $200 on LSAT prep tests and the bibles and I also registered with LSAC and spent the money to send my transcript in but I still havent studied for the LSAT yet. I'm not sure if law school is for me but I think I have the skills to be a good law student but I'm just questioning whether I'd want to be a lawyer. I dont really care about making a lot of money but more so about doing something I actually like.
I'm happy with my decision, but not necessarily because law school has been a dream.  In 6 months I'll have my degree, and I'm not sure what else I could've done in 3 years to put myself in a better position to make a living. Not trying to brag or sound like a **** but maybe I'd feel differently if I went to a lower ranked school. Not sure it's justifiable at this point to pay sticker to go to a non top-25 school. 
I came to law school (top 20) b/c I wanted to do something that involved thinking, but that would allow me to help people in some way. Silly me. On both counts. I paid 6 figures for training to be a sophist.

On the other hand, I'm having Chipotle for dinner tonight, so I'm pleased.

Originally Posted by stateofsingularity

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

Originally Posted by stateofsingularity

Originally Posted by papageorgeo

Lawyers are douche bags.
That's not fair to douche bags.
You sound like the biggest $!**%%$!$ of all right about now.
Do I? Okay, duly noted

Hey, I was just saying. 
roll.gif

chiding in
for everyone that is considering lawschool, i encourage you to take a year and work in an area of law you are interested in.
If you want to go biglaw, work in biglaw, so that you get a feel for it. Personally the mundane drudgery, coupled with the long hours and constant research and writing was not for me. I hate writing, unless its some fantastical story (see date joined and post count). while many see biglaw as the only goal in lawschool it doesn't have to be. many people see it as the only goal as normally tuition and board runs about 60 gs a year (x3 180), and that type of salary is necessary to pay off their loans and maintain a standard a living they feel they are entitled to.

Even though the market is saturated and pumping out 40,000 kids a year, if you enjoy what you experience, do it. If you enjoy public interest work do it. There are alot of recent federal programs that were recently passed including Income based repayment and public interest loan forgiveness that would allow someone who takes this career path to have quite a viable living and career.

If anyone has any further questions let me know (especially if they are about fordham or my own career path). Op if i were you, study hard get good grades, take a year, work somewhere you can see yourself practicing, study lsat until you feel confident, and if all is well take lsat and apply.

chiding in
for everyone that is considering lawschool, i encourage you to take a year and work in an area of law you are interested in.
If you want to go biglaw, work in biglaw, so that you get a feel for it. Personally the mundane drudgery, coupled with the long hours and constant research and writing was not for me. I hate writing, unless its some fantastical story (see date joined and post count). while many see biglaw as the only goal in lawschool it doesn't have to be. many people see it as the only goal as normally tuition and board runs about 60 gs a year (x3 180), and that type of salary is necessary to pay off their loans and maintain a standard a living they feel they are entitled to.

Even though the market is saturated and pumping out 40,000 kids a year, if you enjoy what you experience, do it. If you enjoy public interest work do it. There are alot of recent federal programs that were recently passed including Income based repayment and public interest loan forgiveness that would allow someone who takes this career path to have quite a viable living and career.

If anyone has any further questions let me know (especially if they are about fordham or my own career path). Op if i were you, study hard get good grades, take a year, work somewhere you can see yourself practicing, study lsat until you feel confident, and if all is well take lsat and apply.

I've heard some schools average your lsat scores. Is that true of all of the T14? T25?
Thing is I want to spend enough time studying that I can do well on my first try, but I don't know how long that will take. My parents are going to pressure me to take it asap though.

Also to anyone who studied for the test while working, how was that experience?

I've heard some schools average your lsat scores. Is that true of all of the T14? T25?
Thing is I want to spend enough time studying that I can do well on my first try, but I don't know how long that will take. My parents are going to pressure me to take it asap though.

Also to anyone who studied for the test while working, how was that experience?

/\ schools used to take the average of scores. Now the status quo is factoring just the highest score. However, there are some schools that still avg.

/\ schools used to take the average of scores. Now the status quo is factoring just the highest score. However, there are some schools that still avg.

Some of those sites were very informative. I just got my grades back from this past fall and ended with a 3.5 =/ From the looks of things I have a ways to go..

Some of those sites were very informative. I just got my grades back from this past fall and ended with a 3.5 =/ From the looks of things I have a ways to go..

Back
Top Bottom