NT Lawyers or law students, help out.

Originally Posted by stateofsingularity

(Sigh)

First of all, if you are thinking of going to law school, don't do it. The market is highly saturated. Most established attorneys are baby boomers and they are not willing to relinquish their positions any time soon. Granted, they will eventually have to retire, leaving behind a huge vacuum, but that is still years away.

If you are interested in sophistry, I mean, "law," I suggest getting into a top tier school. That requires grades and a solid LSAT score. I can't stress the LSAT score enough. I have seen many slack jawed troglodytes get into top flight schools simply because they test well on standardized exams. I have seen just as many brilliantly intelligent students get locked out of the top tier schools simply because of their LSAT score.

Seems like your GPA is capped at 3.4, so you might want to take the test prep course and focus on acing the LSAT. Try to shoot for 165 and above. That, coupled with strong extracurriculars and a strong personal statement might get you into a top 20 maybe top 15 whorehouse, I mean law school. Be mindful: the number law school applicants skyrockets during recessions, so you'll be up against some serious competition.
This is all pretty sound, except the part about 165/3.4 possibly getting him into a top 15 school. That will not happen, period, unless he is black/hispanic/native american. 
If top 14 is your goal with a 3.4ish GPA, 170 is a must. You might get lucky and get in somewhere with a score lower than that, but you probably won't. 

Originally Posted by stateofsingularity

(Sigh)

First of all, if you are thinking of going to law school, don't do it. The market is highly saturated. Most established attorneys are baby boomers and they are not willing to relinquish their positions any time soon. Granted, they will eventually have to retire, leaving behind a huge vacuum, but that is still years away.

If you are interested in sophistry, I mean, "law," I suggest getting into a top tier school. That requires grades and a solid LSAT score. I can't stress the LSAT score enough. I have seen many slack jawed troglodytes get into top flight schools simply because they test well on standardized exams. I have seen just as many brilliantly intelligent students get locked out of the top tier schools simply because of their LSAT score.

Seems like your GPA is capped at 3.4, so you might want to take the test prep course and focus on acing the LSAT. Try to shoot for 165 and above. That, coupled with strong extracurriculars and a strong personal statement might get you into a top 20 maybe top 15 whorehouse, I mean law school. Be mindful: the number law school applicants skyrockets during recessions, so you'll be up against some serious competition.
This is all pretty sound, except the part about 165/3.4 possibly getting him into a top 15 school. That will not happen, period, unless he is black/hispanic/native american. 
If top 14 is your goal with a 3.4ish GPA, 170 is a must. You might get lucky and get in somewhere with a score lower than that, but you probably won't. 

To the guys in law school or finished law school, how do/did you like it and if you had the chance to go back in time would you have chosen a different career path?

About 2 years ago I spent over $200 on LSAT prep tests and the bibles and I also registered with LSAC and spent the money to send my transcript in but I still havent studied for the LSAT yet. I'm not sure if law school is for me but I think I have the skills to be a good law student but I'm just questioning whether I'd want to be a lawyer. I dont really care about making a lot of money but more so about doing something I actually like.

To the guys in law school or finished law school, how do/did you like it and if you had the chance to go back in time would you have chosen a different career path?

About 2 years ago I spent over $200 on LSAT prep tests and the bibles and I also registered with LSAC and spent the money to send my transcript in but I still havent studied for the LSAT yet. I'm not sure if law school is for me but I think I have the skills to be a good law student but I'm just questioning whether I'd want to be a lawyer. I dont really care about making a lot of money but more so about doing something I actually like.

I can give you a very realistic picture at what your shot is if you provide your undergrad + your racial ethnicity.  (Unfortunately).

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

I'm happy with my decision, but not necessarily because law school has been a dream.  In 6 months I'll have my degree, and I'm not sure what else I could've done in 3 years to put myself in a better position to make a living. Not trying to brag or sound like a **** but maybe I'd feel differently if I went to a lower ranked school. Not sure it's justifiable at this point to pay sticker to go to a non top-25 school. 

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

I'm happy with my decision, but not necessarily because law school has been a dream.  In 6 months I'll have my degree, and I'm not sure what else I could've done in 3 years to put myself in a better position to make a living. Not trying to brag or sound like a **** but maybe I'd feel differently if I went to a lower ranked school. Not sure it's justifiable at this point to pay sticker to go to a non top-25 school. 

Originally Posted by ThEPoiNTGoD

I can give you a very realistic picture at what your shot is if you provide your undergrad + your racial ethnicity.  (Unfortunately).
it would be dope if you gave a breakdown of all races
smile.gif

it would be dope if you gave a breakdown of all races
smile.gif

Political Science at Augusta State University + black.

BTW, here are some links I have saved that can you give you some indication of what kind of law schools you can get into...

http://www.hourumd.com/

http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/list.php

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/stats.php

Ofcourse every single application is different but it'll give you a ball park of schools you have a chance of being accepted into...i.e. if you have a 3.5 and a 165 LSAT you know you have a chance at ___________ but probably not at _____________.

BTW, here are some links I have saved that can you give you some indication of what kind of law schools you can get into...

http://www.hourumd.com/

http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/list.php

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/stats.php

Ofcourse every single application is different but it'll give you a ball park of schools you have a chance of being accepted into...i.e. if you have a 3.5 and a 165 LSAT you know you have a chance at ___________ but probably not at _____________.

Political Science at Augusta State University + black.

I highly recommend anyone interested in Law School in checking out this website.
Especially if you are concerned about your numbers.

lawschoolnumbers.com

This website is filled with very useful info.
What I found the most useful was looking at the graph/charts for each school, that show Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection results. With this info you can not only see what schools you might get into, but you might also find high ranked schools with a pattern of letting in unusual numbers.
For example; Emory in Atlanta is a top 30 school, with a very strong pattern of admitting students with low(even under 3.0)gpa as long as you score over 165. But other schools might show a preference for high gpa.
Check it out for yourself

I finished my app cycle in Nov, so if anyone wants to ask me about the process Im happy to help

I highly recommend anyone interested in Law School in checking out this website.
Especially if you are concerned about your numbers.

lawschoolnumbers.com

This website is filled with very useful info.
What I found the most useful was looking at the graph/charts for each school, that show Acceptance/Waitlist/Rejection results. With this info you can not only see what schools you might get into, but you might also find high ranked schools with a pattern of letting in unusual numbers.
For example; Emory in Atlanta is a top 30 school, with a very strong pattern of admitting students with low(even under 3.0)gpa as long as you score over 165. But other schools might show a preference for high gpa.
Check it out for yourself

I finished my app cycle in Nov, so if anyone wants to ask me about the process Im happy to help

Back
Top Bottom