**NT Motorcycle Owners please enter** Vol. good beginner bike?

frank quarry

Banned
I went to the DMV today and took my Motorcycle permit test, i passed.. Now what?
laugh.gif

I don't know where to start, like what kind of bike should i be looking into getting? i want asports bike but i know some people are telling me to get a 250cc to learn on, some people are telling me to get a 750, idk im lost
smh.gif
laugh.gif

All i know is that i wanna be riding around on a fun bike this summer
pimp.gif
. Any tips on what kind of bike, equipment, or classes i should be looking into?

Oo and i'm 18, Live in NY, already have a full driver's license, and have Zero motorcycleexperience (unless you count dirtbikes
eyes.gif
) if any of that matters..

Any info is appreciated and feel free to post up any of the stuff you guys have

im not a motorcycle owner but im plannin on getting one soon you probably do need to start in a 250 cc check like the kawasaki forums they have plenty of inputon beginners bike i was actually thinkin of purchasing a 08 kawasaki ninja 250R, msrp on it is like 3500 so you would be paying like 80 bucks a month if youcant purchase it in full, and it has a sick style to it check it out on their website, and it has been receiving plenty of good reviews from what i haveresearched!

From another thread I replied to a while back...and don't underestimate my advice because I'm a female.
I know what I'm talking about.
Originally Posted by AJChick23

I've been looking into it myself. Most people like to start off on 250s (preferably the Ninja 250) because they let you learn quickly and they are light and easy to handle and if you drop it (which A LOT of people do at some point when learning it won't be dropping such an expensive bike)..

Most people(guys because they think 250s are for wusses) skip straight to a 600cc because they look cool...and sound nice. But as I'm sure you know the new 2008 Ninja 250r looks a lot like a 600 and I promise you most people would not be able to tell the difference (except the engine sound..)

I was about to get a used gixxer 600, R6, or my favorite...the CBR600 RR (fireblades look so nice).
But I would rather learn on sporty/stylish looking Ninja 250r (which are selling fast considering they just came out) and then move up to a 600 or higher in about a few months. I can't decide between red or black.
150430d1202333730t-250r-08-pics-actu993.jpg

and the MSRP is only $3500
The blue is stunning..(This one has a fender eliminator kit, rear seat cowl, and an Area P full system exchaust)

Tell me thats not a bad!+@ 250!!

Another thing you will like about owning a 250cc is that the insurance is much much lower especially sense you're a beginner. Ninja 250s also donot depreciate in value as fast so once you're ready to sell it you won't lose too much money that you spent on it in the first place and you can move on to something bigger once you have your confidence.

Also if you're going to be just commuting to school or work a 250 is perfect and the MPG will make you happy (estimated at about 65 mpg ). But don't expect more then about 100-115 for top speed (depending on your weight)...which is plenty for just starting out.
Many people think they can just hop on a bike and handle it but it's something that you should take your time with.

Take the MSF course if you already haven't (cost's like 200$) and they will teach you stuff that will literally save your life out there on the road full of reckless/crazy drivers!
And don't be like these fools out here wearing tank tops and helmetless...invest in some proper riding gear.

After I get my 250 and learn this summer..after I feel like I can move up I want to get a nice 600 or higher..I love this orange ninja 6r
image.php

But when it all comes down to it...go down to the dealership when you get your motorcycle license and ask to test ride that 650R! See how comfy it is...remember it's not the bike'll kill ya, its you making wise decisions not to try and pull any fancy stuff before your ready!

And some food for thought.. IT'S YOUR FIRST BIKE....not your last. So screw what people say.

Here's a pic of it in black with a fender elim. and yoshi pipe
pimp.gif

2351010239_5671e0cd10_b.jpg

i would get a 600 and just take motorcycle classes for free in your area thats what i am doing buying a bike next month

From another thread I replied to a while back...and don't underestimate my advice because I'm a female.

I've been looking into it myself. Most people like to start off on 250s (preferably the Ninja 250) because they let you learn quickly and they are light and easy to handle and if you drop it (which A LOT of people do at some point when learning it won't be dropping such an expensive bike)..

Most people(guys because they think 250s are for wusses) skip straight to a 600cc because they look cool...and sound nice. But as I'm sure you know the new 2008 Ninja 250r looks a lot like a 600 and I promise you most people would not be able to tell the difference (except the engine sound..)

I was about to get a used gixxer 600, R6, or my favorite...the CBR600 RR (fireblades look so nice).
But I would rather learn on sporty/stylish looking Ninja 250r (which are selling fast considering they just came out) and then move up to a 600 or higher in about a few months. I can't decide between red or black... heres the black
150413d1202332996t-250r-08-pics-actu4.jpg
150426d1202333643t-250r-08-pics-actu98.jpg
and blue

Another thing you will like about owning a 250cc is that the insurance is much much lower especially sense you're a beginner. Ninja 250s also donot depreciate in value as fast so once you're ready to sell it you won't lose too much money that you spent on it in the first place and you can move on to something bigger once you have your confidence.

Also if you're going to be just commuting to school or work a 250 is perfect and the MPG will make you happy (estimated at about 65 mpg ). But don't expect more then about 100-115 for top speed (depending on your weight)...which is plenty for just starting out.
Many people think they can just hop on a bike and handle it but it's something that you should take your time with.

Take the MSF course if you already haven't (cost's like 200$) and they will teach you stuff that will literally save your life out there on the road full of reckless/crazy drivers!
And don't be like these fools out here wearing tank tops and helmetless...invest in some proper riding gear.

After I get my 250 and learn this summer..after I feel like I can move up I want to get a nice 600

But when it all comes down to it...go down to the dealership when you get your motorcycle license and ask to test ride that 650R! See how comfy it is...remember it's not the bike'll kill ya, its you making wise decisions not to try and pull any fancy stuff before your ready!
The 08 Ninja 250r is probably one of the the most perfect beginner bikes.

But I would rather learn on sporty/stylish looking Ninja 250r (which are selling fast considering they just came out) and then move up to a 600 or higher in about a few months. I can't decide between red or black.

The blue is stunning..(This one has a fender eliminator kit, rear seat cowl, and an Area P full system exchaust)

Tell me thats not a bad!+@ 250!!

After I get my 250 and learn this summer..after I feel like I can move up I want to get a nice 600 or higher..I love this orange ninja 6r
image.php

And some food for thought.. IT'S YOUR FIRST BIKE....not your last. So screw what people say.

Here's a pic of it in black with a fender elim. and yoshi pipe
pimp.gif

2351010239_5671e0cd10_b.jpg
Incredibly well written listen to what she is saying....I've been riding for a long time now and she speaks the truth.

If you have any additional questions or need any help with choosing gear. PM me

We need to get a NT bike Summit going on the east coast.....for cats in the DC/MD/Va area....

AJChick where you located?

Make sure you make the smartest decision.

You can have a beginner bike and be stylish man don't try to keep up with the other or take advice from people with no experience. It's your life to inthe end your going to make the decision you want to make. Just take into account advice given to you.

Personally, I'd cop the 250 for the summer and get some miles under my belt and learn how to handle these twisties
smokin.gif
turn around and sell the bike in the winter when bikes are CHEAPER and get a6. If your SKILLS are up to par to do so. Good luck and like I said you can hit me up anytime.

happy.gif
Thanks VAGixxer, I'm down here in Florida.
Aiming to get a red 08 ninja 250 this summer and I can't wait.

I did a lot of research and I realized that in the motorcycle world you must take baby steps or take trips to the ER..its your choice.

All i know is that i wanna be riding around on a fun bike this summer image. Any tips on what kind of bike, equipment, or classes i should be looking into?

I'm in NY too, what I did was I took the MSF course...since it teaches you how to ride, and by passing the course you don't have to take the ridingtest from the DMV.

http://www.manys.org/

Posted this in the helmet thread but again to me from the 9 years that ive been riding in san diego 300 days out of the year ive seen a lot of things and ivedecided that its all up to the type of person you are when buying a first bike. My ex gf started on a 600rr, took the msf and rode for a couple of years withno problems. Ive seen little asian girls at 100lbs riding around on busas and then ive seen people who like to start on 250s. My opinion you can get a clean 04600rr for around 4 racks and have the perfect beg. bike and the perfect pro bike depending on what type of riding style you would like to adapt. Not givingadvise just my opinion. THE ONLY ADVICE i give is to by the correct gear. I dont see a point is spending 10 grand on a bike and buying a 150$ helmet that willsave your life. Do just as much research on the gear as the bike.

Nothing higher than a 600 depending on your skill level. I started on a 600 with no experience and I did fine, but I did take it slow. Don't rush anything.That 250cc ninja looks awesome though. Hopefully, I'll get a Gixxer 1K this summer if I can finance it.

Can someone give me a little run down on motorcycles? I'm a long time admirer and I finally have the balls the get on one. My uncle rides and he'sgonna put me through this 2 day course where they teach you what you need to know. So can you guys school me on the gears, the best beginner models, etc?

yea the new 250's look a lot better than they used to...

anyways... this is what i have, my first bike.

1996 Ninja ZX-6R

This pic doesnt have the Yoshi pipe, Tank Bra, and blue tinted shield i have on it, second pic does
88c25f4e7a536976cd8e8fd169eeac9dcb99d54.jpg

9bf3515ee7c955629e94c0f0e334122b3060f8a.jpg

happy.gif
Thanks VAGixxer, I'm down here in Florida.
Aiming to get a red 08 ninja 250 this summer and I can't wait.

I did a lot of research and I realized that in the motorcycle world you must take baby steps or take trips to the ER..its your choice.
Yea, it's better to learn from other rather than the hard way. TRUST
tired.gif

My bro is down in FL yall got that year round weather
laugh.gif
keep that helmeton!

Nothing higher than a 600 depending on your skill level. I started on a 600 with no experience and I did fine, but I did take it slow. Don't rush anything. That 250cc ninja looks awesome though. Hopefully, I'll get a Gixxer 1K this summer if I can finance it.

smokin.gif
smokin.gif

In the market for one myself........750 or 1000 straight blacked out.

I got a few tickets under my belt
tired.gif
so it depends on what this insuranceis looking like since I'm only 21. May get my pops to register it and put me as the primary rider...
laugh.gif

lol who you tellin? Everday is a beautiful day for riding.

Speaking of helmets what kind of lid do you have?

Post up some pics of your bike and helmet or whatever you have on your computer please?

I'm almost certain my first will be a Shoei RF 1000..this design to match my red bike.
03-678-HH.JPG

I got this helmet in red/black/yellow

HJC_dragon_mc2_xl_motorcycle_helmet.jpg

And this Joe Rocket jacket.

118_2600.jpg

forgot what kind of gloves i have but theyre all leather with padded fingers/knuckles

You seem to have your mind made up AJ but man, the people down here drive crazy
ohwell.gif
. Be SAFE.

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

You seem to have your mind made up AJ but man, the people down here drive crazy
ohwell.gif
. Be SAFE.

Word i went down to WPB and Daytona and seen dudes riding with NO helmet and NO shirts
sick.gif
sick.gif
tired.gif
not to mention theyre doin like 90+ on the freeway

I'm looking to get onto a bike this summer too and was expecting to jump on the R6 Raven edition
pimp.gif
to start because all the 250s were
sick.gif
but seeing thatKawasaki 250 I might take that route.
AJchick where in Fl are you I'm in Miami I don't know anyone that really rides down here, the only people I knew that rode moved or crashed and gave itup. I know about the bike nights at hooters etc but I would really like to get a riding crew.

here's a pic of the lid I'm currently riding....I try to switch it up each season.
06a250d441618ea9e63068b2579350ea8d025fa.pjpg

and the bike.....

32235a85429066a2e979e0b303c1aacafb815e1.pjpg

3a025e34a768aeade8502288edcf744e9fc70f2.pjpg

This second pic is when the bike was lowered...
smokin.gif

smokin.gif

Cleanest Gixxer color scheme ever done.

Mangudai954, Yeah..especially these old snow birds! They're the worse ones in my opinion driving when they're legally blind
smh.gif
But I think I'll be alright. In college towns like here, there are an abundance ofmotorcyclists and scooters so people tend to watch out for them more.

Fraij da 5 11, yeah I'm actually from West Palm Beach so I know how crazy the riders are there..and I know a lot of them too. But hey young people thinkthey're immortal.

r33p04s, man the Raven R6 ..I love it so much it's a beautiful bike but it'd looker better as your second bike
wink.gif
. Like I said if you go ahead and learn on a 250 I know you won't regret it.
Not to mention most people will mistake it for a 600 I'm willing to bet. I'm in Gainesville, FL as I said and there are plenty of riders up here.
Miami?! You have got to be kidding me..of all places in Florida that should be the easiest place to find people to ride with!
http://www.floridasportbikers.com/ People arealways down to ride all around FL on this site.

Are you restricting yourself to only getting a Sport bike? I just feel like they're an invitation to go balls out and increase your risk of getting hurt. I would suggest a Cruiser bike with a bit more heft to learn on, so you can get used to daily riding without the temptation of zipping around. I dunno...at 19I got a 300 horsepower car, and all I was interested in was seeing how fast it could go. Every stoplight was an invitation to race. I topped out at 152 goingdown the 405-S. I did a lot of stupid %$@% in that car, and as exhilarating as it was, I regret it because of all the trouble I got into. I'm not sayingyou'll do this, but with the power to weight ratio on a little sport bike, it's so tempting.

Do you live in the city?

If so, you could always start out with one of these. Very mobile in traffic, and most of the time you make better time than the cars. (on the street)

As a pro to a Cruiser - Japanese made V-twins sound bad *%% with exhaust.

Just my input!

its pretty amazing that i went to the DMV here in NY and got a motorcycle license today. I also have 0 experience on a bike and went to the bike shop today andpretty much decided on a 2008 ninja 250. ive looked everywhere and this is the best bike to start. i figure ill only get better on a bike therefor ill haveplenty of time to upgrade in the future. I am going to sign up for the 3 day course plus the private lessons beforehand. they are located in the bronx, ill tryto find the link because its on my other computer.

Back
Top Bottom