NT, should the ability to "work hard" be included in determining how "smart" someone is?

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Im lazy by my own standards, but Im a MENSA member, graduated high school with a 5.125 weighted GPA, took my ACT tipsy without knowing there was a science section on it and scored a 34, so no.

Thats very different from the people that claim theyre smart when theyre failing though, they can be called idiots for all I care
What? Lol. 
the kids in remedial classes still scoring Cs Ds and Fs that still claim theyre smart, they just dont want to put in the work to get good grades, but they could have a 4.0 if they wanted
Ok buddy. Effort and intelligence are two separate entities. You think someone scoring a 4.8 in school is always the brightest? Grades are far from intellectual gauges. 

Im lazy by my own standards, but Im a MENSA member, graduated high school with a 5.125 weighted GPA, took my ACT tipsy without knowing there was a science section on it and scored a 34, so no.

Thats very different from the people that claim theyre smart when theyre failing though, they can be called idiots for all I care
What? Lol. 
the kids in remedial classes still scoring Cs Ds and Fs that still claim theyre smart, they just dont want to put in the work to get good grades, but they could have a 4.0 if they wanted
Ok buddy. Effort and intelligence are two separate entities. You think someone scoring a 4.8 in school is always the brightest? Grades are far from intellectual gauges. 
thats my point buddy. I didnt work hard in high school compared to most these kids and was demolishing AP classes regardless. There were people in there with lower grades that worked harder and a few times people with higher grades, but theyd always be working harder too. If I had worked as hard as the kids that had higher GPAs than me, I would have had a higher GPA that them, except for one kid a grade above me. Point bein I was smarter than them, Im not just sayin it to brag, its the way it is.
At the same time theres kids in remedial classes workin theyre %%!#% off, they might be workin hard which is admirable but theyre still dumb to put it bluntly. Most kids in intensive reading are there because they really arent that smart, some might be able to get into regular classes, but the ones claiming theyre certified geniuses rarely are, the "Im lazy" explanation is an excuse bruh

effort and intelligence are seperate but dont say the kids droppin out to slang arent below average intelligence for the most part, because they are. I got plenty friends that dropped out. Some are gonna make it because of their work ethic, one is real smart and hell make it cuz he knows how to grind to. But for the most part these kids that didnt put in the effort wouldnt have a 3.0 if they tried

What? Lol. 
thats my point buddy. I didnt work hard in high school compared to most these kids and was demolishing AP classes regardless. There were people in there with lower grades that worked harder and a few times people with higher grades, but theyd always be working harder too. If I had worked as hard as the kids that had higher GPAs than me, I would have had a higher GPA that them, except for one kid a grade above me. Point bein I was smarter than them, Im not just sayin it to brag, its the way it is.
At the same time theres kids in remedial classes workin theyre %%!#% off, they might be workin hard which is admirable but theyre still dumb to put it bluntly. Most kids in intensive reading are there because they really arent that smart, some might be able to get into regular classes, but the ones claiming theyre certified geniuses rarely are, the "Im lazy" explanation is an excuse bruh

effort and intelligence are seperate but dont say the kids droppin out to slang arent below average intelligence for the most part, because they are. I got plenty friends that dropped out. Some are gonna make it because of their work ethic, one is real smart and hell make it cuz he knows how to grind to. But for the most part these kids that didnt put in the effort wouldnt have a 3.0 if they tried

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Lulz. My man was WAITING for a question like this so he could list his resume. You got a .pdf handy to send so I can frame all this? 
nerd.gif
.docx work for you?

Mos def. Already have a spot picked out in my room.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bijald0331

Lulz. My man was WAITING for a question like this so he could list his resume. You got a .pdf handy to send so I can frame all this? 
nerd.gif
.docx work for you?

Mos def. Already have a spot picked out in my room.
pimp.gif

we're gonna need screenshots or scanned copies of your transcript showing the 5.125 weighted GPA, as well as the ACT score.

smile.gif

we're gonna need screenshots or scanned copies of your transcript showing the 5.125 weighted GPA, as well as the ACT score.

smile.gif

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

smile.gif
I have same or better statistics in both categories. Idc about that but rather how lame this dude is for listing his stuff in that manner. 
laugh.gif

Still
nerd.gif
on the resume though. Frame's looking real lonely. 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

smile.gif
I have same or better statistics in both categories. Idc about that but rather how lame this dude is for listing his stuff in that manner. 
laugh.gif

Still
nerd.gif
on the resume though. Frame's looking real lonely. 
frown.gif

How is it possible to get 5.125 GPA?.....The highest you can get for a class is 5.0 (A=4.0 +1.0 AP/IB bump)..no?

I know this is an Internet forum, but you have a lot of common writing/grammar mistakes in your posts to "show" me that you aren't "as smart" as you said you are.

How is it possible to get 5.125 GPA?.....The highest you can get for a class is 5.0 (A=4.0 +1.0 AP/IB bump)..no?

I know this is an Internet forum, but you have a lot of common writing/grammar mistakes in your posts to "show" me that you aren't "as smart" as you said you are.

lol @ >4 gpa. Back in my day, we didn't inflate grades. And we walked uphill both ways to the library to check our email.

lol @ >4 gpa. Back in my day, we didn't inflate grades. And we walked uphill both ways to the library to check our email.

I think some people have a better ability to retain information better after studying "hard" then others. Like if Person A studies Calculus for 4 hours straight they can still retain the information read in hours 3 and 4, whereas for Person B the information may be glossed over at that point. I don't think Person A is putting more effort in than Person B, he just is better at "working hard".

I call it mental stamina, IMO the ability to "work hard' does in some form determine how smart a person is. However, if you know your stamina isn't world class, then you have to make decisions that will allow you to succeed without having to put in long hours (i.e. not procrastinating, or taking appropriate courseloads)

I think some people have a better ability to retain information better after studying "hard" then others. Like if Person A studies Calculus for 4 hours straight they can still retain the information read in hours 3 and 4, whereas for Person B the information may be glossed over at that point. I don't think Person A is putting more effort in than Person B, he just is better at "working hard".

I call it mental stamina, IMO the ability to "work hard' does in some form determine how smart a person is. However, if you know your stamina isn't world class, then you have to make decisions that will allow you to succeed without having to put in long hours (i.e. not procrastinating, or taking appropriate courseloads)

Well some people really are geniuses, but they never study and they still get good grades (as far as school goes) so I wouldn't really say that

Well some people really are geniuses, but they never study and they still get good grades (as far as school goes) so I wouldn't really say that

It depends on what you're talking about ....

Given the school example that 2LipsLegit used ....... I'll take use some of my JHS school life ... I aced most of my tests but turned in about 60- 70% of hw assignments while in most classes this didn't affect me to much one teacher failed me one school term and gave me a 75 another term and during those terms I either got the highest scores on tests or were tied for the highest ... Now the kicker is all of the curriculum is based around passing end of year test and most of what we learned was based around exam material than actually learning stuff ..... So come end of the school year I ended up getting the highest scores in my school and was in the highest percentile for the state for one subject while up there for the highest in another .. one of those subject was the one where the teacher failed me (one of my greatest pleasures was seeing his face when he found out my scores)

Now in an ideal world I could've played along with the game that was set out for me, but I didn't and that's the problem/paradox somewhat with "lazy" intelligent people. Until they find a "game" that they like they will continue being "lazy" simply because things come easier and quicker. Also for the most part society is set up for them to be "lazy" starting with the school system, since from a young age their intelligence tends to lead to ostracization

Anyways taking this back to a personal level I didn't learn how to work hard until I found something that I liked doing, that was a challenge for me to do (playing the guitar). Then I used that to change my outlook on life, but I still have a certain level of hate/maybe disgust in doing things that come easy to me and unconsciously find a way to make it a lot harder than it should be which is a trait I'm trying to change

It depends on what you're talking about ....

Given the school example that 2LipsLegit used ....... I'll take use some of my JHS school life ... I aced most of my tests but turned in about 60- 70% of hw assignments while in most classes this didn't affect me to much one teacher failed me one school term and gave me a 75 another term and during those terms I either got the highest scores on tests or were tied for the highest ... Now the kicker is all of the curriculum is based around passing end of year test and most of what we learned was based around exam material than actually learning stuff ..... So come end of the school year I ended up getting the highest scores in my school and was in the highest percentile for the state for one subject while up there for the highest in another .. one of those subject was the one where the teacher failed me (one of my greatest pleasures was seeing his face when he found out my scores)

Now in an ideal world I could've played along with the game that was set out for me, but I didn't and that's the problem/paradox somewhat with "lazy" intelligent people. Until they find a "game" that they like they will continue being "lazy" simply because things come easier and quicker. Also for the most part society is set up for them to be "lazy" starting with the school system, since from a young age their intelligence tends to lead to ostracization

Anyways taking this back to a personal level I didn't learn how to work hard until I found something that I liked doing, that was a challenge for me to do (playing the guitar). Then I used that to change my outlook on life, but I still have a certain level of hate/maybe disgust in doing things that come easy to me and unconsciously find a way to make it a lot harder than it should be which is a trait I'm trying to change

Originally Posted by VietStar

some schools give you extra points for an A+ i believe, making 5.3 the highest possible. there are also classes that are weighted every higher.

nevertheless, i call QUACK on 2lipslegit though.

Originally Posted by VietStar

some schools give you extra points for an A+ i believe, making 5.3 the highest possible. there are also classes that are weighted every higher.

nevertheless, i call QUACK on 2lipslegit though.

they are tied together somewhat, but some people simply are more intelligent than others. ..and just because there is someone smarter, that doesnt mean they have to outwork you. 

they are tied together somewhat, but some people simply are more intelligent than others. ..and just because there is someone smarter, that doesnt mean they have to outwork you. 

Back
Top Bottom