NT True Life: I Have Asian Parents. any stories?

mine are mad restrictive, getting very annoying.can't wait to move out (and if you don't know me don't pass judgment on me. yeah i'm young, nota parent, "they want the best", etc. but i'm not going to delve into my case that much). i know i don't have it as bad as some do though.

any stories?

my parents aren't as bad as others

i've never been grounded or spanked

I learned that punishment is not the best way to discipline your children.

I feel you. Mine are definitely strict and often hypocritical about things.

But in the end, they're your parents and its not like they've abused you in some way. I just see my parents' strictness as an odd form of parentallove. Corny, I know.

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Strict parents that make it so you want to move out > Soft parents that let you stay as long as you want

That is all.

this

What do you know about Egyptian parents? Lol mine are CRAZY strict. And my college is literally 10 minutes away so Im gonna be living at home for 3 and a halfmore years at the least.

My parents aren't strict at all, they let me do pretty much anything I want, just as long as I stay out of trouble, I've never been grounded, beenspanked a bunch of times as I was younger tho, just that I have older sibilings who act as my parents that pisses me off.

About Asian parents...it's isn't the strict nature but the narrowmindedness that really angers me.

The only thing my parents worry about nowadays is if I eat or not. When I was younger though...fly swatters, wooden spoons, belts you name it, its made animprint on my behind.

my parents pretty much let me do my own thing...

except they bug me all the time about grades and getting a chinese girlfriend
eyes.gif

My parents love me (as I'm sure yours do for you) but I'm pretty tired of living here...hopefully next year I'll be all the way in Miami so Iwon't have to deal with them as much

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

About Asian parents...it's isn't the strict nature but the narrowmindedness that really angers me.
Bingo. I think in most families where culture is a very big part of life (Egyptian families, Asian families, etc), some parents tend to beextremely closeminded and especially distrusting of American society in general.

i can't relate.. but believe me when i say.. Parents know best. Deal with it, just be thankful you have parents that want the best for you. Mine want thebest for me and it made me wish I tried harder in school...

I'm 23 btw (stationary engineer)

THIS.
I was joking around with my mom one day telling her I was gonna date an African American man. She hits me with the "
eek.gif
troi oi!"
Which is basically oh my goodness in Vietnamese. She said he's gonna scare her if she just glances at him..
indifferent.gif

Pretty much just wants me to date in my own race.
smh.gif

I'm Asian and my parents are pretty casual. I used to come home at 3-4AM during my undergrad years and my mom wouldn't trip because she trusts me. Thisspawned back to middle-high school where she saw that peer pressure absolutely had no effect on me. While the majority of my friends/classmates picked upsmoking weed and such.

My mom did hate it when I went through the fashion trend of sagging where my pants were midway down my butt.
laugh.gif

Not to say that we agree all the time because we fight, but it's rare now.

laugh.gif
about the dating thing. Asians aren't the only one. Armenians are big on dating their own kind as well.

My mom didn't trip about that as well. I was the Asian kid who had NO Asian friends in high school, and I was pretty much into white and Hispanic girls atthat point.

Originally Posted by lalalindaaa

THIS.
I was joking around with my mom one day telling her I was gonna date an African American man. She hits me with the "
eek.gif
troi oi!"
Which is basically oh my goodness in Vietnamese. She said he's gonna scare her if she just glances at him..
indifferent.gif

smh.gif
pics of you?

Korean grandparents are racist as hell. My mom was a little better but she still stood on edge when I didn't bring a blonde haired, blue-eyed guy home.

THIS.
eek.gif
troi oi!"
indifferent.gif

smh.gif
damn lol... i'm korean and i'm dating nicaraguense girl
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Truth.

A topic about same-sex marriage came up between me and my mom..and she basically said that being attracted to the same sex is a disease.
indifferent.gif

But overall, my parents are pretty cool. Ever since I was a kid, they were never strict on when I had to come home or anything. I used to go home at like 3-4amwhen I was 15 or so.

Even when I decided to drop out of HS, they were pretty supportive with my decision..and thats a RARE case for asian parents (or any types of parents for thatmatter).

Being the first child sucked. I haven't done much in life, I would tell you about my awesome stories/adventures of jr high/high school but I don't haveany. I can vividly tell you stories of me starring at walls for hours and hours. Strict parents FTL, however I do live as a bum while I attend college haha.

Originally Posted by retroflashbacks

Truth.

A topic about same-sex marriage came up between me and my mom..and she basically said that being attracted to the same sex is a disease.
indifferent.gif

But overall, my parents are pretty cool. Ever since I was a kid, they were never strict on when I had to come home or anything. I used to go home at like 3-4am when I was 15 or so.

Even when I decided to drop out of HS, they were pretty supportive with my decision..and thats a RARE case for asian parents (or any types of parents for that matter).
IMO, Americans in general, are extremely homophobic.

My parents are very chill. Let me do my own thing and pretty much wish for me to do good in school. thats about it . over and out

THIS.
eek.gif
troi oi!"

indifferent.gif

smh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I'm viet btw.

Back
Top Bottom