NT what are you reading? vol. put the TV remote down, pick up a book!

Originally Posted by Jason23Richardson

As The Sun Rises The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

very entertaining.
Come on dude. How you gonna be a fan and not even get the name of the book right?
laugh.gif

But it's one of my favorites as well.

As The Sun Rises by Ernest Hemingway

very entertaining.
Don't you mean The Sun Also Rises?

And I'm vacillating between Catch-22 and In Cold Blood.

Originally Posted by DubA169

Originally Posted by DanzInRealLife

The Dexter Omnibus by Jeff Lindsay... (the books behind the show Dexter)
The Womens Murder Club Series by James Patterson
are the dexter books diff form the show?
Yeah man, if only they did what happened in the second book (it's insane! some major +** happens to Doakes, def not in the TV series
smh.gif
) andLa Guerta gets killed by Dexter's bro in the first book. I haven't seen the second season yet and they just took the third off TV here for no reason atall, no warning, no nothing. Was up to the third episode and poof it disappeared.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

As The Sun Rises by Ernest Hemingway

very entertaining.
Don't you mean The Sun Also Rises?

And I'm vacillating between Catch-22 and In Cold Blood.
catch 22 is def appreciated

never read in cold blood, but I saw the movie capote
ohwell.gif

Yeah man, if only they did what happened in the second book (it's insane! some major +** happens to Doakes, def not in the TV series
smh.gif
) and La Guerta gets killed by Dexter's bro in the first book. I haven't seen the second season yet and they just took the third off TV here for no reason at all, no warning, no nothing. Was up to the third episode and poof it disappeared.
mad.gif

did you really have to spoil the part about la guerta?
eyes.gif

either way when I'm done with the books i'm reading I'm gonna read the dexter books or the sookie stackhouse books, seems like both are diff fromthe shows.

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

After putting it off for so long
karamazov.jpg
roll.gif

this book has been sitting in my crib for about two years. i just can't prepare myself, it's like 1000 pages. Plus i'm sure somethings are lost in translation.

laugh.gif
I mean I love Dostoevsky and all, and I'm also an english major, but damn I'm like I might as well start now. Its been put off since Jan thisyear.

index.aspx

9780786868131.jpg

Apparently I like thrillers and some sci-fi; I didn't really realize that until my best friend pointed it out to me.

After putting it off for so long
karamazov.jpg
roll.gif

this book has been sitting in my crib for about two years. i just can't prepare myself, it's like 1000 pages. Plus i'm sure somethings are lost in translation.

laugh.gif
I mean I love Dostoevsky and all, and I'm also an english major, but damn I'm like I might as well start now. Its been put off since Jan this year.
I'm sure it will be good, i just wonder HOW good. I hope time has been good to this book for your sake.

smh.gif
) and La Guerta gets killed by Dexter's bro in the first book. I haven't seen the second season yet and they just took the third off TV here for no reason at all, no warning, no nothing. Was up to the third episode and poof it disappeared.
mad.gif

did you really have to spoil the part about la guerta?
eyes.gif

either way when I'm done with the books i'm reading I'm gonna read the dexter books or the sookie stackhouse books, seems like both are diff from the shows.

laugh.gif
my bad dude, just trying to show the difference, it's pretty big.

Anyway, pick up the omnibus if you can, three books in one, I picked it up for NZD$43 at Borders.

Actually, I'm tempted to read the Sookie ones as well, I reckon they'll be pretty insane. I'm a sucker for any murder/mystery/sci-fi +%+. Have youheard of the Idlewild series by Nick Sagan? That series is crazy good.

I'm trying to make my way through a book called Barefoot. Not sure of the author but its a girly book
smile.gif

Originally Posted by VeryAnalytical85

4 Hour Workweek, gonna be finished soon.

1984 after that and then Sun Tzu's -The Art of War next up.
the middle of 1984 is pretty boring, but it's still a classic.

it's astounding and disappointing how relevant the book is to the way we are heading (particularly Britain and America). I've heard people say that itcame down to the world shaping into what was described in "brave new world" and "1984" and 84 seems to be the one which is becoming reality

I havn't read brave new world though, I've been meaning to for a while. wikipedia describes it as...

Brave New World is a novel by Aldous Huxley, written in 1931 and published in 1932. Set in theLondon of AD 2540 (632 A.F. in the book), the novel anticipates developments in reproductive technology and sleep-learning that combine to change society. The future society is an embodiment ofthe ideals that form the basis of futurism.

I haven't posted in one of these for awhile..

Currently reading:

3122b6RbduL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

[h1]Keeping Down the Black Vote: Raceand the Demobilization of American Voters
[/h1][h1]by Frances Fox Piven
[/h1]
Finished last week:
[h1]The Wauchula Woods Accord: Toward aNew Understanding of Animals by Charles Seibert[/h1][h1]The Elephant in the Room: Silenceand Denial in Everyday Life by Eviatar Zerubavel[/h1]
Finished in August:

Girls at War and Other Short Stories by Chinua Achebe
Uncharitable: How Restraints on Nonprofits Undermine Their Potential by Dan Palotta (Not recommended)
Apes, Language, and the Human Mind by Sue Savage Rumbaugh
That's Not What I Meant! by Deborah Tannen
Standing Up to the Madness: Ordinary Heroes in Extraordinary Times by Amy & David Goodman
King: Pilgrimage to the Mountaintop by Harvard Sikoff

tell us how that goes, Blink was good its probably the same concept
I read Outliers early this spring. It's worth reading and although the central concept is strong (the book explains how purported HoratioAlger stories like Bill Gates were, in fact, largely products of exceptional circumstance as opposed to exceptional virtue and determination), Gladwell has atendency to overextend himself in attempt to weave each anecdotal thread into some sort of grand epiphany boasting far more explanatory power than isreasonably warranted. While "The Tipping Point" has held up fairly well, this was largely a product of the book's tighter focus. Blink, whileinteresting, failed to achieve similar longevity in part because its sweeping conclusions failed to withstand rigorous scrutiny. His reach exceeded his grasp.

The irony is that Outliers' general theme of material/environmental determinism is anything but novel and the author strays dangerously toward adopting theantipodal position of a cultural explanation of poverty/achievement as the book stumbles toward its conclusion. I'm a fan of Gladwell's books and Iappreciate that he's managed to make social science subjects accessible to a mainstream audience by stripping away the pretension rather than dumbing themdown. In the process of marketing these titles, however, he's suffered from a tendency to oversell what is, in reality, a synthesis of carefully selectedexamples as some new, earth shattering revelation. I think readers will appreciate his work more if they treat it as an introduction rather than thedefinitive word on its subject matter.

i'm reading:

invisible man - ralph ellison
go tell it on the mountain - james baldwin .. almost finished with this one
Both are classics, I'm sure you'll enjoy them. Baldwin's one of my favorite writers. If you appreciate his works of fiction, be sureto check out his nonfiction books and essays. The Fire Next Time is essential reading. The Devil Finds Work and The Evidence of Things Not Seen have beendescribed by some as outdated - but that's completely untrue. Each remains incredibly relevant today.

I've recommended A Long Way Gone in the past and I'll gladly co-sign on that again. It's one of those rare books you'll suggest to absolutelyeveryone regardless of age or interest. Those who appreciate the book should consider checking out the documentary Bling: A Planet Rock. Ishmael Beah takesRaekwon, Paul Wall, Jacob the Jeweler, and Tego Calderon on a tour of the diamond trade in war-torn Sierra Leone.

just got back into reading after a little hiatus.

just finished:
shack.jpg

About a 150 pages into:
THE-GIVEN-DAY-1-716854.jpg

Originally Posted by Julian Wright

You haven't read this, you have to get on it.

longway.jpg

I decided to start reading and i searched on Niketalk/Google for book recommendations. I saw, i think, Methodman posted this as a recommendation and it lookedgood so i ordered it a couple days ago.

Right now im reading The Alchemist. Got it a while back and stopped about halfway. Rereading it now and looking to finish.

Back
Top Bottom