NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Oberon release shortly... I never buy it because I will get my fill from other peoples homes... It doesn't seem to be the same these past couple of years... More hype than substance IMO... Looking forward to Founders Devil Dancer in July... Long time to wait but that is such a wonderful beer.

Well this is my day! Snowed in like a bish. Southern neighbor and I are going to play some super Nintendo, playstation 2, and n64 on my old *** 69inch rear projection. Good day. Hope all yall are safe!

Really like Allagash Curieux. My wife and I went to their brewery last summer and brought home like 4 bottles of it but they're all gone now. (A few weeks later she found out the pain she'd been feeling for a couple of years is gluten allergy).

My regular liquor store was closed last night for some reason so I had to go down a couple blocks to the next one. Totally different beer selection. Got a 4-pack if Pint bottles of Jacks Abbey Smoke and Dagger. Definitely recommend it. It's a black lager that is somewhat smokey but nowhere near as bad as a rauchbier with some subtle chocolate and coffee notes to it. Better on tap but I was glad to find bottles.

nice post...been wanting to get into beer, but dont know where to start

started off with wheat beers, then lagers and now getting into IPA, but not the hoppy ones, cuz some of those are just way to bitter for me

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout comes out on Monday April 1... Should be fun to see who gets some around here... $20 a 4pack... Founders sold tickets to grab a max of 12 at their brewery the next 4 days... $5 a ticket, they are selling on EBay for $90 today... I knew I should have grabbed a ticket or 5

JUst called my main guy and he expects a decent shipment by noon on Monday... Lunch hour will be spent stopping at the stores

Last edited:
Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout comes out on Monday April 1... Should be fun to see who gets some around here... $20 a 4pack... Founders sold tickets to grab a max of 12 at their brewery the next 4 days... $5 a ticket, they are selling on EBay for $90 today... I knew I should have grabbed a ticket or 5

JUst called my main guy and he expects a decent shipment by noon on Monday... Lunch hour will be spent stopping at the stores

I can't believe how crazy people get over this. I'm going to snag a few and see What this hype is all about. Thank god I have a guy who will stash a little for me.

Hmm...Founder's is in Grand Rapids. My company has a branch in Grand Rapids..
might need to have a talk with some of my co-workers...

-J-

If you are drinking something that is not hoppy, then it isn't an IPA.
You might be drinking a pale ale type beer, but IPA's are intentionally over-hopped.

Just stick to wheat or white ales.
Franziskaner
Allagash White
Sierra Nevada Kellerweis
You cannot possibly go wrong with those 3 beers

-J-

It is currently, and has been for about a year, my go to beer. #1 on my list at this point.
no faults and everything I enjoy in a beer.

Yeah I tried it about 3 yrs ago and has been my fav wheat since

I like Troegs Dreamweaver but that's probably more localized, not sure if they get that in Cali

Funny you bumped this, I looked it up like 10m ago. Currently stuck on sam adams cherry wheat. I can drink this like soda! I find myself sticking to wheat beers. Any other wheat beers that are a must-try?
cherry wheat tastes like medicine to me 
sick.gif

i got a fridge full that budweiser black crown right now. its a step back from what i usually like to drink, but its actually not too bad at all. 

did anyone try the Southern Tier, LIVE yet?? I picked up a case last night and only got to try 1, it was unreal. I recommend people trying it if your into Hops. The whole Southern Tier lineup is great. Cant wait until the fall for the PumKING :smokin

did anyone try the Southern Tier, LIVE yet?? I picked up a case last night and only got to try 1, it was unreal. I recommend people trying it if your into Hops. The whole Southern Tier lineup is great. Cant wait until the fall for the PumKING :smokin

Yeah I posted it ok the other page, great brew

Huge update...

Did a side by side tasting with a few hefeweizens the other day

Sierra Nevada KellerWeis
Hofrabrau Hefe
Weihenstephaner Vitus (the Hefe version alone is great. So I thought I would try this one, which is technically a weizenbock).

Vitus hit all the notes I was looking for. Dry crisp carbonated mouthfeel. Just enough banana taste to give it that hefe style. And the ABV up near 8% doesn't hurt.

Kellerweis was my second favorite. The sweetness was much more pronounced here. The banana flavor seemed to double that of Vitus, and the carbonation was a bit muted. Nothing terrible about this one. I would buy it again and again, as a go to affordable Hefe. Vitus is near $3/17 oz bottle, which is about 5 oz/dollar vs. $7/sixer for kellerweis or 10 oz/dollar.

Hofrabrau was solid. This one for me had the least amount of that clove and banana taste, with mild carbonation.. Nothing to overpay on.
----------

The local beer store that tends to get more of the newer styles and keep a true variety ran out of Lagunitas Sucks back when I made my initial post about it. That was months ago... Well, I guess some fell through the cracks and my local hole in the wall grocery store has some. I only got one six pack. But I'm thinking of buying more. I should've hid them behind some cider...

Another review of the brown substitute ale.. Initial hop bomb goes off upon first tasting. But then it's smooth sailing as the crispness of the whole beer makes this an easy drinking high hopped IPA. BUY THIS BEER. I saw another NT member here who took my recommendation and bought some.. It'll be the best $10 bucks you may have ever spent on beer. Ammmmazing

Not sure if anyone saw that Stella was having a free chalice giveaway with purchases of 12 packs (or mail in a form for a no purchase offer).. Mine arrived today. Awesome quality. I now have two (one from last year as well). My mug/glass collection is growing nicely. Do some of you try to go style specific with the glass type? I would say 80% of what we use is just basic pint glasses, with a few imperial pints, a larger octoberfest mug, and a few pilsner glasses. Nothing too extravagant.
--------------

I also gave Sierra Nevada's Stout a try. I guess it doesn't hurt when there are sales on the items.. Pretty much exactly to the script of what a stout should be. I was on a true sweet hop kick a few months back. So this one with the hop prescence is a nice reminder that there can be some bitterness in stouts.. This may be my go to normal STOUT beer. Sierra Nevada, who I've personally neglected for awhile as I wasn't a fan of the Torpedo have to truly praise them for the kellerweis and stout. I'm sure many others are great too.

New Albion Ale-
It's apparently a Pale Ale according to the label. Hops are barely noticeable. The beer was drinkable, but quite hard to get a grasp on what they were going for. It felt like an alpine springs type light colored Sam Adams brew.. I wouldn't hunt this down. But I also wouldn't say no to one

Coronado Orange Ave. Wit-
This one may not have been selling too well as it was on sale for $5/six pack right up front at a local grocery store. This one is almost entirely all about the orange flavor. Wits can have subtle hints of orange and be good to go. This one felt like a blonde type ale, infused with orange kool aid.. It's a true fruit ale, which many tend to hate.. I love the apricot ale by pyramid for example. So this one isn't bad. But it's not on the scoop of many other great Wit bears.

Leffe Blonde-
Much like the Weihenstephaner, Paulaner, and Spaten style of beers as a whole, this one is incredible smooth, and somewhat crisp. A refreshing sweetness with this one. No true hop presence noticed. Great beer. It actually reminds me of a bit of the hefeweizens with subtle hints of cloves and banana. I may stick to Weihenstephaner Hefe, and Paulaner Octoberfest for my "Euro" fix though.. I would rate this one right alongside the Hofrabrau hefeweizen. Great tasting. Wouldn't say not to it. But other 'better' hefes do exist within a better price range.

Barrell Trolley Belgian White-
Grabbed just one of these guys. Almost nothing but corriander in the smell and taste.. Very disappointing.. It's drinkable and not in the least hard to swallow or drink. But for the style and price, it is very underwhelming.

Along with the Hofrabrau Hefe, we purchased a Hofrabrau Original. It is noted as a Munich Helles Lager. The taste and smell reminded me a bit of a Becks (who I don't like). Becks is a pilsner, so my taste buds may be somewhat off all together.. Compared to the Weihenstephaner Original (of the same style), this one wasn't quite to my initial liking. Weihenstephaner seemed to hit the right note with their rendition.
----------------------
On a homebrew front, we are still sitting on some double blonde ale, and double amber ale, brewed early to mid December 2012.

Time is a beautiful thing if you can let it happen
February 19th, 2013

March 14th, 2013

We didn't use any filters, or finings to get true clarity. So at this point, it is up to the brew process in how well you did certain things to obtain that true clarity on its own.. Time helps out as well. Both are in the 7-8 % ABV range. The blonde uses an american ale II yeast, known for its fruity type esters. Quite tart by nature.

Last edited:
found a liquor store near me that sells all kinds of different beers, bought these two.

monks cafe- it's really good, smooth, good to chill with, a little sweet but the right amount of sourness. i can say this is my favorite beer right now

monks-cafe-flemish-sour.preview.jpg

and this one was really good also (some may call it girly but whatever 
laugh.gif
) the strawberry is easy, nothing too dramatic where it tastes like juice.

COAST-RANGE-STRAWBERRY-BLONDE.jpg

i also tried becks-sapphire and it was smooth and tasty, i chilled at the beach and it's definitely a good beer that's refreshing, i for one can't say that about most beers but this sapphire did surprise me.

I really enjoy the Monks Flemish Sour Ale, they have it at the Boathouse which is my hometown watering hole

Went to BJ's tonight with the wife and nephew. I'm faded. I'm going to sleep.
Pranqster. Excellent.

Then a St. Maryin Brune. No pic.
And finished off with a Gulden Draak.

Would gladly and happily drink any if those again.
-J-

trying a new wheat beer, Hacker-Pschorr Weisse, pretty smooth taste, aftertaste kind of reminds of me of sparkling water.

Back
Top Bottom