NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Tonight's pour. Bottled 1/6/14

I actually liked that stuff. It gets blasted review wise. It's more of a sweet barcardi type malt beverage. Abv is way up there. Dangerous stuff

Past few nights in review:

Friday with some family. No sharing on my part. I paired it with some milk chocolate candy. What an amazing combination
if y'all are interested get at me. I got a few left. It's going fast from me. No hoarding on my part.

Saturday:
Local brewery La Cumbre Weizenbock. Bubblegum and banana notes on the nose and taste. amazing 7-8% beer here. Think of a Sierra Nevada kellerweis amped up just a bit. It doesn't have the crazy yeasty notes some German beers have.

Hombrew cream ale.

Some basic 2-row base malt, some flaked rice, and flaked corn. The yeast we used gives it a bit of a sweet note in the mouthfeel. Abv is at least 5%. A very nice session beer

Today:
Went by local Marble Brewery.

Samples some new stuff. An abbey darkness had a great candy sweetness to hide its 9% Abv. An azacau pale ale made with azacau hops. Very citrusy hops. Nice mellow overall taste.

Ended up with some regular pints . Marble red has a sweet caramel mouthfeel and floral hops to round it out. Marble Ipa is a bit more malty than I'm use to and had a floral hop presence. Way different than local favorite la cumbre elevated Ipa. Finished my session with a pilsner. Very dry but has this floral hop presence that throws me off a bit. Tastes higher than a 4.7% beer should. I always try to buy it. But am Keats left questioning its taste/qualities.

Growler fills for a party later on. Marble amber. Marble red. Marble double white. Marble imperial stout.

Cracked open some imperial stout just now.

Talk to y'all tomorrow lol

Last edited:

Is this beer relatively accessible? I see that it is one of the highest rated brews but yet a few of you on here seem to get it pretty often. We don't get it down here in FL.
Nope.  I woke up and saw that a beer distributor by me got some in today.  They didn't even keep it out on the shelves.  They put it in a back room where no customers can get ahold of it. There was a limit of one 4 pack per customer, which is actually a lot.  Most places around me will have a 1 or 2 can per customer limit. I wouldn't be surprised if it's completely sold out by now.  

I'm in New York and I'm lucky if I can get my hands on it 2-3 times a year.  Chances of finding it in Florida are slim-to-none.

Yeah.  Not to mention a 4-pack of Bourbon County Stout can run you around $27 depending on where you get them, and the standard retail price on 4-packs of World Wide Stout and 120 Minute IPA is $40.

$30!?

I hate where this craft beer market is heading. In the beginning it was great to be able to pay a few dollars more per beer for better stuff. But now that the hipsters jumped on and craft beer is the cool thing to do the brewers have nothing better to do than appeal to the market and churn out $20-$30 bottles of stuff while low-key raising the prices of their once reasonable general stuff. I would say get while the getting good--but those days, I believe, have already passed.

P.S.
I have an incredible job and salary, so in b4 "it's an expensive hobby, you get what you pay for, etc."
But damn, tables are about to turn and its gonna be more expensive to have a beer than a mixed drink at the bar.

Yeah.  Not to mention a 4-pack of Bourbon County Stout can run you around $27 depending on where you get them, and the standard retail price on 4-packs of World Wide Stout and 120 Minute IPA is $40.
$30!?

I hate where this craft beer market is heading. In the beginning it was great to be able to pay a few dollars more per beer for better stuff. But now that the hipsters jumped on and craft beer is the cool thing to do the brewers have nothing better to do than appeal to the market and churn out $20-$30 bottles of stuff while low-key raising the prices of their once reasonable general stuff. I would say get while the getting good--but those days, I believe, have already passed.

P.S.
I have an incredible job and salary, so in b4 "it's an expensive hobby, you get what you pay for, etc."
But damn, tables are about to turn and its gonna be more expensive to have a beer than a mixed drink at the bar.
Not the fault of the brewery.  Heady Topper is about $3 a can from the cannery.  It's the retailers that are jacking up the prices.

Oh..and if that was a typo and you meant to type "$40?!" in regards to WWS/120 Minute, then I'd agree.  Those beers are not worth the money.  WWS is pretty tasty,  though.

Last edited:
Not the fault of the brewery.  Heady Topper is about $3 a can from the cannery.  It's the retailers that are jacking up the prices.

Oh..and if that was a typo and you meant to type "$40?!" in regards to WWS/120 Minute, then I'd agree.  Those beers are not worth the money.  WWS is pretty tasty,  though.

Yea $40

And Cigar City sells $20 bottles in their tap room like its nothing. But yea, retailers are disgusting. My boy is a distributor he's getting me a case of Hopslam at cost :smoking

Also, whoever was saying BCS was $27 round their way, ouch! I got mine for like $19 at ABC here in FL.

Last edited:

Yea $40

And Cigar City sells $20 bottles in their tap room like its nothing. But yea, retailers are disgusting. My boy is a distributor he's getting me a case of Hopslam at cost :smoking

Also, whoever was saying BCS was $27 round their way, ouch! I got mine for like $19 at ABC here in FL.
That was me.  It was similarly priced at my go-to spot, but it sold out fast.  Now the only place you can get it around here is a small craft beer boutique that specializes in overpriced white whales (hence $27) and homebrewing supplies.  There's people posting on BeerAdvocate saying some places are charging $40-50 for a 4 pack
sick.gif

As far as Cigar City goes, $20 is too much for most of their beers.  I'd pay $20 to try a bottle of Hunahpu though.

^ Not comparison, but you're better off keeping your beers at constant temperature (i.e. fridge at its warmest temp) than out in your closet. Be careful though - it can get very humid and since it's not exactly cold, mold can thrive in there. If you have to keep them in your closet, put the bottles in a styrofoam container with some blue ice packs (they don't have to be cold/frozen) to mediate the temperature swings.

About LC possibly expanding, I hope for your sake they don't even though I'd like to get a taste of it out here in CA. Ballast Point's Sculpin was AMAZING a few years ago, but they expanded production and so quality fell. Still one of my favorites and still delicious, but not like I remembered.

Thanks for the advice. Looks like an old cooler or syrofoam box is the way to go for me. I have had both year old refrigerated beer and beer from the shelve. So throwing out the variable of where or how my beer was handled months at a time will help me.
-------------------------
Stillin729,

I like the way you think with that caffeine and coffee beer variety. I was drinking my BCBCS with a side of ice cold Dr. Pepper the other night. Beers in general make me really sleepy.. Three and I could nap for a bit with no buzz. Odd reaction I guess.
------------------------
Some weekend ramblings

-That Marble Imperial Stout growler was WAYYYY worth the up charge.. People see $20 and are thrown into a fit. They charge something like $7 for a 13 oz pour, which is equivalent to buying it in a bomber (same price to oz. ratio). But for a growler, you get 5 13 oz. pours for $20, vs $35 (5 13 oz pours @ $7/pour). So the 1/2 off savings is true here, even with the up charge.

The group of us couldn't quite finish it off, so there was about 12 oz left the day after. It was around room temperature from sitting out, and a touch flat. But that actually made it better. There's a new level of 11% abv drinkability here..

- Got to try to some 2012 Alaskan Smoked Porter.. Very well balanced albeit a touch light on the mouthfeel. I may just be used to how imperial stouts are so thick... Not sure if its worth the bomber price given its relatively medium ABV... BA score is relatively high here. The balance was nice where the smoked malt wasn't overpowering *I tend to like it overpowered a bit. You know youre drinking a smoked beer. Slight hints of chocolate and coffee undertones. Very woody and bbq like imho. Maybe its the smoked flavor enlightening my taste buds.

-Christmas present variety packs are almost done with.. One huge hurdle left.. A Wasatch Pumpkin Ale with a born on date of 7/25/13. I tasted a touch of a deep pumpkin pie taste/spice.. I think it mellowed out after almost 6 months sitting around. I'd never buy again. But it wasnt too too bad.

Anyone in florida in here? Im going to be down there in march and was wondering how accessible is Jai-alai? :nerd:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom