NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Long time NT member, long time lurker of the thread. Just picked up a few bottles of the Stone Enjoy by I.P.A. as well as having a few from the local keg. Always enjoy it when it comes around.

Question to all the hop heads. I've had citra hopped beer before and tasted amazing. Ever since I had nobles citra showers I get this gross almost onion taste out of citra hops. It bums me out. I loved bootleggers tropical thunder but I find it kinda gross now.

Question to all the hop heads. I've had citra hopped beer before and tasted amazing. Ever since I had nobles citra showers I get this gross almost onion taste out of citra hops. It bums me out. I loved bootleggers tropical thunder but I find it kinda gross now.
I'm sorry, what was the question?

Sor
Sorry I wrote the post at work in a hurry. Question is if there is anything that would change the way you taste hops. Maybe food or toothpaste

I would say yes to both food and/or toothpaste.
First off, toothpaste makes everything taste like ish. :lol:
Beer is not different than wine in that food pairings can go a long ways toward enjoying that beer.
Hoppy beers are said to pair well with spicy foods.
Of course, darker ales and steaks.
Deserts with stouts or porters.

I think another issue could be your palate changing.
I'm 37, almost 38 :wow:, and I have never been able to develop a taste for hops. I've tried, believe me.
I'll drink pale ales, but IPA's are a no-no.
Until about 4 months ago. I noticed I started to drink balanced IPA's (not hop bombs) from my local brewery and enjoy them.

-J-

I don't drink beer immediately after brushing my teeth but my girlfriend did recently change our toothpaste to a different tartar control one. I'm thinking that has something to do with it

Are we talking the same beer you had always liked before?

Take into consideration:

-What you ate before hand still may have lingering effects on your taste buds
-Age of the beer
-Condition it was stored .Llight can kill flavors
-Glass type and how you pour. Pour too fast and the carbonation can take a hit. Style of glass can dictate smell/aroma.
-Temperature it was served at. I get a crazy onion type taste out of a few IPAs if it warms up too much (50ish)
-Possible bad batch or an off bottle. I've had Lagunitas Sucks where the malt flavor just dominates everything. That one bottle out of six seemed off

Some people just go through the motions where their taste buds change or aren't/are in the mood for something else. It's one big reason I like buying six packs over singles. Some days some beers taste off or bad for whatever reason. Other days , it's the best beer I've ever tasted.

Some grow into hops. Some grow out of. I personally go through the motions. I hate IPAs when its hot out. It's not thrist quenching in the slightest. That may be another variable. Your personal setting and or the time you drank... Where was the moon positioned lol.. Okay, that's enough. Lots of small variables can change the way a beer tastes. With hops so forward to your palette, its the first thing we notice when somethings off or different.
-------------

I've been getting caught in this "freshness" rut with the IPAs I buy and or pass up. Lagunitas Sucks around my way is still available but its the initial batch (bottled December 2nd 2013). It's not terribly old. But a few local brews and even some newer seasonals are super fresh. I tend to take a hit by buying slightly inferior products (as a whole) that provide more of that fresh hop flavor.. That should be key to IPAs and APAs
-----------
Has anyone tried New Belgium's new spring blonde? Ratings so far are in the mid 80 range, a place where most beers that are solid tend to stay.

Last edited:
^Never tried sculpin in a can. Would try it if it wasn't $16 for a 6 pack (which I guess is more reasonable than $9 for a bomber). :\

Just had BCBCS. I love coffee/espresso/breakfast stouts....probably my favorite style. This was underwhelming. Much better than regular BCBS, but underwhelming.

Picked these up while I was on break at work today.  Just finished a Hop Ranch and I'm working on a Hi Res as we speak.  Neither have disappointed. Expect full reviews of these beers (and plenty of others that I've been slacking on) to come when I finally get a moment to myself.  It's been a week since I've been back in school and Med-Surg. is already killing me. 
laugh.gif

Not sure what to say salazaro44. If they are rather small, it could be a batch by batch quality disparity. Some of my favorite IPA whom seem to have great QC every once in awhile will find a can that is just a bit cloudy for whatever reason. You can throw out most of the variables if its a brewery. Only a few come to mind. Quality/recipe change, a change in seriving temp, or just a change in you.

Based Mod, glad I'm not the only one just at ouch underwhelmed with BCBCS. It's hella drinkable given its crazy 13.4% abv, but that really shouldnt be its only attribute, right?

JBug88, what a hefty haul. My TW never got any Abyss, or if it did it sold a case in a day because I usually call or visit weekly.

Drank a few of these a couple nights ago

This hefeweizen is very very sensitive to how you pour it. Pour it too fast, and it becomes a flat mess. Pour too much yeast into it towards the end and it has this fruity yeast flavor that some crave. I like some of it, so now I have to really be careful with my pours.. I also prefer weizenbocks and hefeweizens on draft. The yeast is likely very minimal, so its more of a pure cleaner banana taste. When you introduce the bottled version with yeast, its a whole other ball game.

i had this problem ahile back with their basic hefeweizen, and again with this Vitus weizenbock.... near bottle bomb as I opened it up. It almost started shooting out of the top.

Forgot to mention. Another TW coupon for the states of AZ CA NM and NV
http://image.email-totalwine.com/lib/fecc157071620079/m/7/Cpn-BC-2_01242014-AZ-CA-NV-NM.jpg

Another question for you guys that follow "top beers" at places like BA.. When did HT really take over as #1? I've been into craft beer for awhile. But not until recently when a Total Wine finally hit the area that I started to follow ratings and a more global perspective of whats out there..... Looking back in time, it appears I had some family visit that brewery back in May of 2012. It felt like I missed a golden opportunity..

Last edited:
Another question for you guys that follow "top beers" at places like BA.. When did HT really take over as #1? I've been into craft beer for awhile. But not until recently when a Total Wine finally hit the area that I started to follow ratings and a more global perspective of whats out there..... Looking back in time, it appears I had some family visit that brewery back in May of 2012. It felt like I missed a golden opportunity..
 Heady has been at the top for at least a year now.  It used to be Pliny the Younger, but Heady's score creeped up slowly and it's stayed up there since.  Is it really the best beer?  Well...that's very debatable.  Definitely fantastic though.

In other news, da fridge game is looking proper right now:

^I am little new to trying a variety of beers. Always been a blue moon/ corona guy. After going to my local nugget, I was in awe of the variety. I have no clue to where I can find pranqster on draft in northern California. But I am definitely interested.

My local Vines liquor store gets Pliny the Younger every 2 nd Friday of the month so I hope to try some of that next week. Keep this thread going. Real good reads in here.

Are you in, around or near Denver and Boulder during the month of February? You're in luck! It's Stout Month! Check out this BONKERS tap list...

Stouts Descend On All Four Mountain Sun Locations

Our favorite month of the year has finally arrived! Ladies and
Gentlemen, drum roll please, welcome to *Stout Month 2014*!

This February will be the 21st annual Stout Month at all four
Mountain Sun locations: the Mountain Sun, Southern Sun and Under the
Sun in Boulder, and the Vine Street Pub and Brewery in Denver. Now in
its 21st year, Stout Month has become an anticipated event among local
beer connoisseurs. During the month of February, most of Mountain Sun
pubs' taps will fade to black with local versions of the rich, thick
and dark ale. This is a once-a-year opportunity to try some of the
region's best stouts, side-by-side, and on tap. The mega stout
celebration will continue as long as supplies last.

Here's a list of house stouts you'll see at all four locations:

48 Smooth Chai Stout, Casual Friday Session Stout, Cherry Chocolate
Stout, Chocolate Dip Stout, Coconut Cream Stout, Dark Harvest Pumpkin
Stout, Dropkick Stout, Girl Scout Stout, Korova Cream Stout, Norwegian
Wheat Stout, Oat Lord Oatmeal Stout, Old School Irish Stout, Sharkbite
Foreign-Export Stout, Stoked Oak Stout, Thunderhead Stout, Trickster
Stout, Yonder Mountain Stout, Mutual Respect Belgian Coffee Stout, a
collaboration with Odell Brewing Company.

Imperial Stouts

Addiction Imperial Coffee Stout, Megatron American-Style Imperial
Stout, Nihilist Russian Imperial Stout, Oatimus Prime Imperial Oatmeal
Stout

Barrel-Aged Stouts

Bourbon Barrel-Aged Addiction Imperial Coffee Stout, Bourbon
Barrel-Aged BOB Imperial Milk Stout, Bourbon Barrel-Aged Big Boi BOB
Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout, Barrel-Aged "Wild" Stout with
Brettanomyces

New Releases

Brandy Barrel-Aged BOB Imperial Milk Stout and the Homebrew
Competition Winner 2014 The Bacon Milk Stout. Congratulations to home
brewers Brandon Christian and Glenn Duggin!

Guest Stouts

We've decided to stay LOCAL again this year and serve only
Colorado-brewed stouts. With so many new breweries and such creativity
among brewers in Colorado, we already know the line-up will be
amazing. Below is a list of the Colorado guest stouts we're trying
to get in.

Asher Brewing Superfly Stout, Avery Brewing Tweak Imperial Stout, Big
Choice Brewing #42 Poblano Stout, Bootstrap Brewing Chili Stout,
Boulder Beer Oak-Aged Obovoid Stout, Brewery Rickoli's Rye Stout,
Cannonball Creek Brewing Almond Chocolate Stout, Coopersmith's Pub &
Brewing Horsetooth Stout, Copper Kettle Brewing Mexican Chocolate
Stout, Denver Beer Rwanda Abakundakawa Coffee Stout, Elevation Beer
Company Oil Man Bourbon Imperial Stout, Equinox Brewing Mr. Delicious
Oatmeal Stout, Gravity Brewing Tsar Bomba Russian Imperial Stout,
Great Divide Brewing Espresso Oak-Aged Yeti Imperial Stout, Left Hand
Brewing Milk Stout, Lone Tree Brewing Toots' Oatmeal Stout, New
Belgium Brewing Imperial Coffee Chocolate Stout, Odell Brewing
Lugene Chocolate Milk Stout, Pagosa Brewing Soaker's Oatmeal Stout,
Renegade Brewing Black Gold Peanut Butter Cup Imperial Milk Stout,
River North Brewing Avarice Belgian-Style Imperial Stout, SKA Brewing
Hibernal Vinifera Stout, Strange Brewing Belgian Chocolate Raspberry
Love, Telluride Brewing Co. Ski-In-Ski Stout, Trinity Brewing Awanken
Chicory Coffee Stout, Upslope Brewing Foreign-Style Stout, Wild Woods
Brewery S'mores Stout, Wynkoop Brewing Rocky Mountain Oyster Stout,
The Yak & Yeti Chai Milk Stout

So, friends, join us for one of the most exciting months of the year.
It will be important to check in with your closest Mountain Sun Pub
often so you don't miss out on any of these luscious and delicious
stouts! Have at it folks!

Back
Top Bottom