NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Missed out on "The Streets" releasr by a few minutes the other day in Bos..

The hype on kbs is officially over here in Grand Rapids lol every store is sitting on it... they jack the price and put out a inferior product. I feel bad for people that just got to try it for the first time in the past 4 years at least. It really lived up to the hype in its earlier years. Tried the dragons milk rum coconut from new holland that was pretty good. Had three kbs from the 2017 release kinda sad... they changed the label up and cap a little.

The hype on kbs is officially over here in Grand Rapids lol every store is sitting on it... they jack the price and put out a inferior product. I feel bad for people that just got to try it for the first time in the past 4 years at least. It really lived up to the hype in its earlier years. Tried the dragons milk rum coconut from new holland that was pretty good. Had three kbs from the 2017 release kinda sad... they changed the label up and cap a little.

Havent' had this year's but I gotta' agree. Seems like KBS has been steadily going downhill since 2013.

Question for the guys who trade in here: Do you go through Beer Advocate? I'm in Chicago and would love to trade with any of you guys on the coasts.

Haven't traded in a while but most of my trades are through BA. Have traded here on NT but it's been a minute as well.

I think KBS is as solid as ever (talking about last years and 2015, havent had this years yet). It may have been over rated since it was limited to a smaller X amount of states over the course of many years. Now its almost everywhere (im in an area with an unlimited amount for that first two weeks).

Try it blindly against other stuff before stating such radical claims. You would be surprised.

hell, in 2013, FBS was rated the 18th best beer in the world on BA. Now it may barely crack the top 100. Its as great as its ever been IMHO.

Parabola releases very soon too fellas. I am looking to clean up shop around my way.

Sadly Leo vs. Fortem still hasnt come to my area yet. I dont think I can bite on a $13 4 pack of old DIPA. I heard one shop would be getting both at same time soon.

Which leads me to just an overall general comment. I was browsing TW the other day and saw just one IPA within 4 weeks of being brewed (la cumbre elevated). Everything else was anywhere from 5 weeks to 5 months old, including many other local IPAs. I think my area is finally hitting a major cross roads on consumption and saturation .

I did see Lagunitas 12th of never 12 packs sitting at just 22 days old. I tell distributors and reps. I dont discriminate against anything but old hoppy beers. I owuld buy almost any random IPA if it was at least somewhat fresh, local or not. I buy and drink 12/27 dated hoppy pilsners which seem to taste fine. Only the hoppy ones get a date check. But that lifespan of the APA/IPA/DIPA is so limited, I have almost forgotten about the style, unless I drink it in house at a brewery. its forced me to buy/drink other styles without a second thought.

Lots of great beer options not named IPA out there. Been on a serious Pilsner Urquell and AVBC Gose kick lately. Laguntias 12th of Never hit a great citrusy/spicy hop note today. Good stuff

Last edited:
I think KBS is as solid as ever (talking about last years and 2015, havent had this years yet). It may have been over rated since it was limited to a smaller X amount of states over the course of many years. Now its almost everywhere (im in an area with an unlimited amount for that first two weeks).

Try it blindly against other stuff before stating such radical claims. You would be surprised.

hell, in 2013, FBS was rated the 18th best beer in the world on BA. Now it may barely crack the top 100. Its as great as its ever been IMHO.

Parabola releases very soon too fellas. I am looking to clean up shop around my way.

Sadly Leo vs. Fortem still hasnt come to my area yet. I dont think I can bite on a $13 4 pack of old DIPA. I heard one shop would be getting both at same time soon.

Which leads me to just an overall general comment. I was browsing TW the other day and saw just one IPA within 4 weeks of being brewed (la cumbre elevated). Everything else was anywhere from 5 weeks to 5 months old, including many other local IPAs. I think my area is finally hitting a major cross roads on consumption and saturation .

I did see Lagunitas 12th of never 12 packs sitting at just 22 days old. I tell distributors and reps. I dont discriminate against anything but old hoppy beers. I owuld buy almost any random IPA if it was at least somewhat fresh, local or not. I buy and drink 12/27 dated hoppy pilsners which seem to taste fine. Only the hoppy ones get a date check. But that lifespan of the APA/IPA/DIPA is so limited, I have almost forgotten about the style, unless I drink it in house at a brewery. its forced me to buy/drink other styles without a second thought.

Lots of great beer options not named IPA out there. Been on a serious Pilsner Urquell and AVBC Gose kick lately. Laguntias 12th of Never hit a great citrusy/spicy hop note today. Good stuff
Ive been going to founders since they opened ive tried almost everything but I'm telling you kbs is not the same as it was. I'm only comparing it to itself yea I'd say what there putting out now is better than most stouts but it's a shell of what it was

This stuff is delicious. The way the coffee blends with the other flavors is amazing. Not cloying at all and you get a nice finish that lingers a bit. Easily in my top 2 for porters. If I had a complaint, I'd like a little more body, but it is a porter after all.

Edit:

Last edited:

Half Batch from Magnify brewing, decent beer, nothing too impressive, flavor is a little one note but its not a bad note

Kane and Aslin collab Waimea Punch, supposed to have a lot of passion fruit added but all I taste is a little tang besides the aggressive hops, really thick with all the malts and dry hopping added, really flavorful but also heavy on the stomach

OEC Brewing (long weird name) Double Barrel imperium singularis, have not opened this yet, going to open it with my friend that loves OEC with some other OEC bottles, this one sounds crazy from the description:
"Imperium is part of our Frigus project. Frigus barrels are selected and aged in our small barn. The barn is neither heated nor cooled and in the winter drops well below freezing exposing the beer to the natural fluctuations of our climate. - Imperium is a wheat wine that was brewed specifically for this project and initially aged 1 & 1/2 years in red wine barrels. This Double Barrel Singularis edition was then matured an additional 9 months after freezing in two Matthiasson Vineyards Chardonnay barrels from Napa, CA."

Finback - Visible Spectrum, this is the best finback I have had, lots of clean mango flavor

RAR brewing - Pineapple grenade, this was a little bit of a let down, a good brew but I had high hopes for it, not sure why its called pineapple grenade, it was comparable to Halfbatch from magnify

Kane - Port Omna with orange and vanilla, it tastes just as it sounds, a nice brew but not something I would want often

Trillium - Dialed In with Sauvignon Blanc juice - One of the better trillium beers, the juice adds a nice wine twist to it, adding juice like that sounds like a bad idea but trillium makes it work

Last edited:
Fairway opened up by me last month, the beer selection is :smokin can't wait to try randoms come summer time.

Cracked this with my girl tonight...we both didnt like it. Too sour and tarty for my taste. Almost tasted like something expired

then we had this right after. Juicy goodness

Yea..don't think sour brown ales are for me. Had to force myself to finish the rosetta. It starts out good then delves into something awful (imo).

Beautiful berry puree color. You get a short lasting head with light residual lacing. The lactose adds the perfect amount of body to this. It starts out tasting like a mixed berries smoothie, then the sourness comes in then fades out. The orange zest in the beginning dissipates, coming back faintly in the aftertaste. You get that vanilla fruit pop taste from the vanilla and lactose combining. I don't see how this could be done better.

Got these tonight.

Had this the other night. Picnic Lightning from Brouwerij West. First time having a beer from them and it was pretty good. Was expecting it to be juicier but tasty nonetheless.

Hitup Fieldwork today to pick up a few crowlers. First up is Hazy Train. Had this when they canned it a few months back and remembered it to be pretty good. This batch is more bitter than I remembered. Tropical notes are there but not as pronounced as the previous batch. Drinks very easy at 6.9%.

Been to a couple. It's a few minutes from my house. I don't line up early for them though. I pass by it everyday on the way home from work. If there is a twitter update with no lines, i'll try to stop in.

Man. I would love some cans or bottles. Will pay money or trade beers.

I was there at beginning of March for a work trip and fell in love with their beers.

Question for the guys who trade in here: Do you go through Beer Advocate? I'm in Chicago and would love to trade with any of you guys on the coasts.

Lots of good Facebook groups. Different groups for barrel aged beers, IPA's, Monkish, Treehouse, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we've all encountered this once in awhile.. Its a true gut check/reality check on the current state of craft beer. I tend to visit this thread and BA and FB groups quite often so I feel somewhat immersed. Yet sometimes its all for not.

I was at this event down south, which seemed to be 96% budlight/ tecate light/Mich. Ultra/Dos Equis and like 1 craft choice ( GI IPA).

When people talk about saturation and too many breweries, I look at events like that. It happened to be at a sporting event. But the reality check was there. People want that slight buzz and to not over think on what they were drinking. I didnt buck the system and had what I had. But its funny. When it came down to it, I found an area with stella. That one is usually just a late night stand by, But yesterday it actually tasted good (after having the others). Some areas, we're probably still a good 20 years from any real progress.

I know some baseball stadiums suck on their variety still. I guess thats where AB INBEV will never lose.

It made me realize the drink local movement needs to be supported even more. Heck, "craft" in general and nothing AB INBEV ever again.

Just a little vent

Last edited:

had a nice line up so figured I would take a picture, ended up drinking all three back to back but got lazy and stopped taking pictures

This might be the best stout other half has done yet IMO, never had red wine barrels mix so well with a stout

Thought this wasnt that different from doppleganger until trying sips of each back to back, same flavor but this one has another layer of flavor, this one is packed

Best beer of the night, and also the last, was super drunk and thought my pallet was done for but this woke me up, crazy crisp bright strong flavors, like a great ipa and great sour mixed

ended up not opening this one, got a bottle of the end from brew gentlemen I am going to drink with it

this was a let down, basically a jack abbys beer, nothing impressive

this is everything most NE IPAs are trying to do, all around great, no flaws

Dancing Gnome brewings first canning last week, apparently only 50 something cases made, pretty great stuff, looking forward to more from them, the lustra was super flavorful

Got this today, my friend is supposed to roll through and drink it with some other stuff I have been saving but Im writing this as I wait for him and start to realize he is gonna cancel

Last edited:
Gose Gone Wild World Tour-*****et is really good. Almost looks like orange juice. Smells like straight mango juice. You taste mango taste throughout with lacto tartness coming
which smooths out thanks to the Thai chilis. The lemongrass and chilis give a hop-like tasting finish. The spiciness slowly builds in your mouth as you drink it.

Last edited:
How far do you guys travel to try out a new "hot" brewery's beers?

Not on vacation? I've driven about 3 hours each way from Denver out to Glenwood Springs to go to Casey Brewing & Blending a couple times. Next level each time.

On vacation? Flown to Philly a couple times to visit family and just happened to take side trips to Tired Hands...

How far do you guys travel to try out a new "hot" brewery's beers?
Furthest I go is Other Half/LIC Beer project which can take anywhere from 45-90 minutes depending on the time of the day/traffic.

I'll most likely be making the trek up to Equilibrium this summer if they're canning by then.  That's about a 2 and a half hour drive.

Back
Top Bottom