NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Back in August while out there, I bought a case of HT to drink within a week ( I failed btw). It has a floral hoppy element that is nice. But it is by no means juicy in ANY regard. Locally, I can think of 5-6 core offerings that I would rather have. And then these one off monthly releases at just $16/four pack fill my urges. Yet when I was up there, people were content on going on that pilgrimage of sorts (the parking lot alone had 10 different state plates easily) who pack a cooler full of ice and just haul it back to their 'mother country' for all to gaze and admire. Problem is, the trek is no longer needed. I'd still travel up to Foam and River Roost before Alchemist. I wish them the best. I know the SoS cans I saw back in August were 10-20 days old, but being sold at a premium. 2018 may be the year where beer fans finally get in tune on their surroundings and realize they dont have to travel too too far/ And even if you do, those TH prices are amazing considering what you get quality wise. People will get sick of the prices of they are paying and start to re seek the better breweries.. That's what I see out of 2018. I think people get tired of the driving and trek, and get more in tune with local beers (with or without the lines). Since my local mainstay brewery got into the hazy DIPA craze, I have not felt an urge to trade or see what else is out there.

4-packs here in Norcal from the breweries (Alvarado, Cellarmaker, Fieldwork, etc...) doing hazy NE style beers also range from $18-$24. Seems like that's the going rate nowadays. I do agree Wally that I don't really trade anymore considering I can get pretty good local options now.

As for food pairings, I'd much rather drink water and crack open a brew when I get home. Only exception is when i'm eating sushi. I'll get a glass of Sapporo or Asahi.

Wanted to touch on a topic real fast. This article was written by David Chang 3 years ago and drew a lot of ire out of the craft beer community:

https://www.gq.com/story/david-chang-cheap-beer

I've low-key agreed with him for the longest time, but last night really solidified it for me. I went on a date at a very nice restaurant and made the choice to forego the IPAs and barrel-aged stouts for a Two Roads Pilsner and a Brooklyn Lager. As someone that appreciates fine dining as much as I appreciate craft beer, I've never been one for "pairing". Sometimes you just want something that does the job and gets out of the way of what you're really spending money on.
just read the article

for me, there's a time and place for "cheap" and "crappy" beer

if i'm gonna eat hot wings and there's a kings and wings, or yuengs and wings special i'm definitely going for that

otherwise, when I go out to dinner I will get whatever sounds good to me (usually regardless of what i'm eating) but if there's only fodder on the taplist i'll just get a water to drink

Went to Duluth, MN this last weekend. Forget to post. I went to the Bent Paddle Brewery and had the "Double Shot Double Black". I must've deleted the pick. It was ok. It didn't seem like something that really stuck out to me and considering it was $27 bucks a bottle......I don't know.

This below was from another brewery called Canal Park Brewery and it's the "Dawn Treader" Belgian Tripel. I thought it was really good. I liked the brewery in general better too.

20171216_152501.jpg

Retried Elysian Space Dust. Good Lord that **** put my on my ***. So much hope my stomach been in shambles lately :lol: :pimp:

Cracking open a Victory Storm King tonight. Philly's finest :pimp:

Drank it last night:
7C4E14A6-1037-42B2-914E-1B8C0AB9282B.jpeg

Verdict? It’s fine. Really just tastes like a sweeter version of KBS to me. Definitely not worth the price tag. You could pour a half-shot of maple syrup into a pour of KBS and you would wind up with an extremely similar beer.

This seems like a case of a formerly “amazing” beer still being good, but seeming much less impressive in a time where competition is much stiffer.

My coworker grabbed a few bottles, hoping he let's me try :lol: regular breakfast stout is probably my favorite. Haven't had the pleasure of trying KBS as I'm in PA

I love seeing people around the country drinking Dogfish Head. Local brewery here in DE, theyve got some good stuff.

I was recommended this pickup by a coworker. He said you put half of each in a glass and it tastes like a choc covered strawberry/cherry...we will see

Attachments

• 9FD01123-9C89-4EE9-BFBE-8EECF601B1C6.jpeg
    9FD01123-9C89-4EE9-BFBE-8EECF601B1C6.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 3
Troegs is local to me, excellent brewery. Highly recommend you guys stop in if you're ever in the Hershey area. Right down the street from Hershey Park.

Their seasonal IPA offerings are great. First cut and hop knife are both :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Troegs is local to me, excellent brewery. Highly recommend you guys stop in if you're ever in the Hershey area. Right down the street from Hershey Park.

Their seasonal IPA offerings are great. First cut and hop knife are both :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Yea its not far from me either, we were planning on going earlier this month but didnt make it.
Im in North DE so you must be close

I had the variety pack with perpetual, sunshine, and a couple others over the summer. Really liked the pack

I love seeing people around the country drinking Dogfish Head. Local brewery here in DE, theyve got some good stuff.

I was recommended this pickup by a coworker. He said you put half of each in a glass and it tastes like a choc covered strawberry/cherry...we will see
Tröegs has been doing a chocolate stout that (atleast in my area) is pretty easily accessible

Mix that half and half with Mad Elf, they call it chocolate elf...haven’t had it myself but it seems to be pretty well received on Untappd

EC84D807-A01F-4217-A23B-034809BE9BFB.png

The original Tröegs mix is half Mad Elf, Hmhalf Dreamweaver Wheat...Mad Dreams

43409F53-C280-415C-8C8A-A9D5668B5078.png

My girl is headed to Vermont for New year's. What y'all recommend she grab? It would have to be available at a beer distributor, store, etc. I don't think she would have time to head to a brewery.

Heady Topper isn't readily available is it?

Where in Vermont will she be?
What good beers are available in your location?
What kind of beers do you like?

Gotta have a starting point before I could give you a good answer.

Tröegs has been doing a chocolate stout that (atleast in my area) is pretty easily accessible

Mix that half and half with Mad Elf, they call it chocolate elf...haven’t had it myself but it seems to be pretty well received on Untappd

EC84D807-A01F-4217-A23B-034809BE9BFB.png

The original Tröegs mix is half Mad Elf, Hmhalf Dreamweaver Wheat...Mad Dreams

43409F53-C280-415C-8C8A-A9D5668B5078.png

I might have to check that first combo out, im sure my local stores have their chocolate.

Im not even gonna front, this brooklyn black choc mixed with the mad elf is trash for me lmao.

I only dabble in craft beer as im more of a smoker. Im not huge on stouts but i try pretty much anything.

Probably gonna throw down my remaining bottles of Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

I had that Brooklyn Choco Stout a while ago. It started ok and wasn't a killer to me. I wouldn't turn it down if it was free but other than that lol.

I might have to check that first combo out, im sure my local stores have their chocolate.

Im not even gonna front, this brooklyn black choc mixed with the mad elf is trash for me lmao.

I only dabble in craft beer as im more of a smoker. Im not huge on stouts but i try pretty much anything.

Probably gonna throw down my remaining bottles of Dogfish Head Punkin Ale
The chocolate stout is available as draft...it was previously available in bottles in an anthology pack one season

Biggest Sand City release ever today. As of late the town of Northport has been treating Sand City like George Costanza was treated at PlayNow after they found out he faked being handicapped. Their tasting room has been shut down at least 4 times over the past 3 months due to BS building code/fire violations that no other establishments in the area are scrutinized with, and now it's closed indefinitely as of the most recent "violation." This blowback mostly stems from the Cow Harbor Race Day weekend back in September. The town is (mostly) shut down for the race and other festivities that Saturday and Sunday. Sand City decided to exploit the crowd and did a release of their 3 most popular beers at the same time and also offered sample pours to people waiting in line. This basically amounted to a huge chunk of the town openly drinking in the streets, which is a huge no-no considering Northport is a bougie, predominantly white town that seems like it's still stuck in the 1950s. People were forced to pour out their beers on the sidewalk that day and Sand City was pressured into getting rid of the line as quickly as possible. Today's release didn't have the drinking on the streets, but Sand City had security patrolling the line as well as town police setting up shop on all corners. They're currently looking for a new location and I couldn't be happier. Northport is a pain in the *** to get to for a lot of people, and the fact that they're squeezing out their most popular business speaks volumes regarding their priorities and judgement. Sand City deserves better.

Anywho...onto the beers:
unnamed.jpg

Sand City x Other Half Infinity+Everything. Hopped with Galaxy, Mosaic, and Motueka. This is more dank/bitter than All Infinity Everything, but it's no slouch. Surprisingly thick mouthfeel. Protein shake status. This is a beer that will probably taste incredible in a week or 2. Glad I have other cans to let this develop and revisit.

unnamed-1.jpg

Sand City x Aslin I Picked the Wrong Week to Stop Sniffing IPA. Hopped with Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, and Chinook. This is the more "rounded" of the two in comparison to the Other Half collab, but I kind of wished it had a more juicy aspect to it. It's there, but it's tempered with the earthy notes from the Chinook. Drinking great from the get-go, but I'm skeptical about this one getting better with age.
unnamed-2.jpg

Sand City x Barrier Even Mo' Money. Basically a mash-up of Sand City Even Mo Mofo and Barrier Money. Hopped with Azacca, Simcoe, Citra, and Mosaic. This one was very dank/bitter when it was cold, but it gave way to citrus and blueberries as it warmed. No alcohol detected for the ABV. Really nice stuff.

Hope everyone else is drinking good tonight. Cheers, NT! :nthat:

Where in Vermont will she be?
What good beers are available in your location?
What kind of beers do you like?

Gotta have a starting point before I could give you a good answer.

I'll have to check with her tomorrow, she told me but I wasn't paying attention :lol:

I love IPAs and Stouts. My favorite from each being Two Hearted Ale and Founders Breakfast Stout. I'm pretty much open to anything though. I love sours as well

Around me is Troegs and Victory. Dreamweaver, Hop Knife, First Cut, Java Head are my favorites from Troegs. I love Storm King and Dirt Wolf from Victory

Had a bottle of Dirt Wolf the other day, hadn’t had one in a few years and I remembered liking it a lot

Beer, especially IPAs, has changed

Their new (I think seasonal) IPA, Mighty Things is real good though

I've been sharing half and half with my gf since yday. Im glad i have someone to enjoy beer with but i gotta cut down a bit. End of semester celebrating you can say i guess

20171224_005341.jpg

Finnback Psycho Killer
Tree House Green
Nightshift OHTT - Mosaic
Bissell Bro Engram

Biggest Sand City release ever today. As of late the town of Northport has been treating Sand City like George Costanza was treated at PlayNow after they found out he faked being handicapped. Their tasting room has been shut down at least 4 times over the past 3 months due to BS building code/fire violations that no other establishments in the area are scrutinized with, and now it's closed indefinitely as of the most recent "violation." This blowback mostly stems from the Cow Harbor Race Day weekend back in September. The town is (mostly) shut down for the race and other festivities that Saturday and Sunday. Sand City decided to exploit the crowd and did a release of their 3 most popular beers at the same time and also offered sample pours to people waiting in line. This basically amounted to a huge chunk of the town openly drinking in the streets, which is a huge no-no considering Northport is a bougie, predominantly white town that seems like it's still stuck in the 1950s. People were forced to pour out their beers on the sidewalk that day and Sand City was pressured into getting rid of the line as quickly as possible. Today's release didn't have the drinking on the streets, but Sand City had security patrolling the line as well as town police setting up shop on all corners. They're currently looking for a new location and I couldn't be happier. Northport is a pain in the *** to get to for a lot of people, and the fact that they're squeezing out their most popular business speaks volumes regarding their priorities and judgement. Sand City deserves better.

Anywho...onto the beers:
unnamed.jpg

Sand City x Other Half Infinity+Everything. Hopped with Galaxy, Mosaic, and Motueka. This is more dank/bitter than All Infinity Everything, but it's no slouch. Surprisingly thick mouthfeel. Protein shake status. This is a beer that will probably taste incredible in a week or 2. Glad I have other cans to let this develop and revisit.

unnamed-1.jpg

Sand City x Aslin I Picked the Wrong Week to Stop Sniffing IPA. Hopped with Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, and Chinook. This is the more "rounded" of the two in comparison to the Other Half collab, but I kind of wished it had a more juicy aspect to it. It's there, but it's tempered with the earthy notes from the Chinook. Drinking great from the get-go, but I'm skeptical about this one getting better with age.
unnamed-2.jpg

Sand City x Barrier Even Mo' Money. Basically a mash-up of Sand City Even Mo Mofo and Barrier Money. Hopped with Azacca, Simcoe, Citra, and Mosaic. This one was very dank/bitter when it was cold, but it gave way to citrus and blueberries as it warmed. No alcohol detected for the ABV. Really nice stuff.

Hope everyone else is drinking good tonight. Cheers, NT! :nthat:

Wow, I didn't know the Brewery was going through this BS. They were my go to instead of trekking all the way to Brooklyn or Queens for quality beer in the NYC area. I hope they stay on the island.

Sucks to hear about sand city. Recently in my area, there were some people who wanted to raise the excise tax on breweries from mere dimes to $1.50/pint range. That would have ravaged the growth my area has seen. I get that there are always two sides to what we deem as positive growth. It's also a big reason abinbev has lobbyists working full time to help them out. No one's really helping the little guys.

Even alchemist and tree house were having traffic and crowd issues but they were never run out of town. Sand city needs to move and ditch that counties bureaucratic black hole.

Onto some beer. Beer fridge cleansing in progress.

Did a 15/16/17 vertical of KBS. So underwhelming.

Also did a 15/16 backwoods bastard. That beer is so much more well rounded.

Today we have a prairie three fer
image.jpg

Visited New Orleans recently so I tried these two:

backwoods.jpg

Founders Backwoods Bastard. 11.2% ABV. I thought this was disappointing, taste mediocre.

rasputin.jpg

Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. 9% ABV. This was a really impressive beer. I will be on the look out for this one.

Back
Top Bottom