NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Yeah I asked Al a few days ago on IG and he had a few variants. Hoping they'll have a few left when I'm back from the holidays.
Any word?

Though my wife can’t drink cause she’s pregnant she suggested going there today for “something to do”

Finally drinking this can:

ABD7220C-273A-49F8-BF96-EDD447DADA49.jpeg

Sat on it for several months cause when I had it on draft maybe 2-3 years ago it was a little hot

Despite losing some coffee flavor it still has a good coffee kick to it and it’s better than when I had it on draft

Any word?

Though my wife can’t drink cause she’s pregnant she suggested going there today for “something to do”

Sat on it for several months cause when I had it on draft maybe 2-3 years ago it was a little hot

Despite losing some coffee flavor it still has a good coffee kick to it and it’s better than when I had it on draft

I won't be back in town till tomorrow. I know the shop is open today but closed the rest of the week so I probably won't make it till Saturday. If you ever need anything, let me know. Its pretty close to me and I'm gonna start going regularly. I can grab and hold you stuff whenever I go.

SSU is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It's everything I want in a stout. It's about to knock off FBS as my go to. Cheaper, locally sourced, and better coffee taste imo.

Have you tried their Dough Boy yet? It's their NE style IPA. Seems like everyone is doing one now. Joose Juicy from Evergrain is real good.

Went to The Loft at Iron Abbey today I'm Horsham, PA. Selection was insane. They had everything from Russian River to Evil Twin to The Bruery. Today's haul:

"Edgecrusher" by Round Guys - Lansdale, PA (my hometown)
"Gone away" by Half Acre - Chicago, PA
"The Shape of Hops to Come" by Neshaminy Creek - Bucks County, PA (pretty much local to me as well)

Attachments

• 20180101_173542.jpg
    20180101_173542.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 4
I won't be back in town till tomorrow. I know the shop is open today but closed the rest of the week so I probably won't make it till Saturday. If you ever need anything, let me know. Its pretty close to me and I'm gonna start going regularly. I can grab and hold you stuff whenever I go.

SSU is quickly becoming one of my favorites. It's everything I want in a stout. It's about to knock off FBS as my go to. Cheaper, locally sourced, and better coffee taste imo.

Have you tried their Dough Boy yet? It's their NE style IPA. Seems like everyone is doing one now. Joose Juicy from Evergrain is real good.
I’ll keep the favor in mind, thanks

I did have dough boy

I thought it was really good but not very hazy, not that it really matters

Seems like the haziness was very inconsistent from pics I saw on Untappd

20171230_202010.jpg

Chapman Crafted Yes Chef hoppy lagger, didn't care for this, lack of body and flavors.

20171229_220620.jpg

Mikeller Brewing New England Style IPA. I've never heard of a NE style IPA, this is a terrific beer, lots of fresh citrus/hops.

Attachments

• 20171229_220620.jpg
    20171229_220620.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 0
^if you go to Baltimore Max’s Taphouse is a must...considered the best beer bar in the mid Atlantic

For Baltimore breweries there’s Union, Diamondback Brewing (haven’t had a chance to try yet), and Of Love & Regret (not a brewery but kind of the official bar for Stillwater Artisinal Ales which is a gypsy brewer) among many others...

Heavy Seas, Flying Dog, Brewers Art

Peabody Heights has several breweries in one spot, where the old Orioles Park used to be...haven’t had a chance to check them out

Breathed some life into my beer fridge, my buddy was in Asheville over the holidays and gave me a nice spread as well as a few Hoof Hearted cans

D5ECA4CF-7A7C-4686-92E4-B0B5FDEC22EF.jpeg

^if you go to Baltimore Max’s Taphouse is a must...considered the best beer bar in the mid Atlantic

For Baltimore breweries there’s Union, Diamondback Brewing (haven’t had a chance to try yet), and Of Love & Regret (not a brewery but kind of the official bar for Stillwater Artisinal Ales which is a gypsy brewer) among many others...

Heavy Seas, Flying Dog, Brewers Art

Peabody Heights has several breweries in one spot, where the old Orioles Park used to be...haven’t had a chance to check them out

Breathed some life into my beer fridge, my buddy was in Asheville over the holidays and gave me a nice spread as well as a few Hoof Hearted cans

D5ECA4CF-7A7C-4686-92E4-B0B5FDEC22EF.jpeg

Thanks for the recommendations. Max's tap house looks great.

Got an oldie and some new goodies for my weekly beer drop:

unnamed.jpg

Ballast Point High West Barrel-Aged Victory At Sea. Good barrel character, but I felt like it took away from the adjunct flavors that make me really enjoy the OG. It's tasty, but I'd take the regular version over this 99 times out of 100.

unnamed-1.jpg

Other Half Triple Cream. 10% Oat Cream IPA hopped with the hops they use in Cheddar (Citra, Ekuanot, Kohatu, and Wai-iti), then dry-hopped with Citra lupulin powder, then finally dry-hopped entirely with Galaxy. This is still really fresh, so it still has some of those bitter/grassy notes you get from Ekuanot, but this is hop milk otherwise. Probably the thickest/creamiest IPA I've ever had. The high ABV should give it some resiliency to age, which should help things as the Ekuanot mellows out. This one shows a lot of potential.

unnamed-2.jpg

One of the first Other Half cans I ever got my hands on: OG Citra. This isn't the same beer as my first experience back in 2015, but that's not exactly a bad thing either. Much thicker, fuller, and juicier this time around. Other Half has come a long way and improved so much since they first started canning. I would honestly place them right alongside the breweries that I think make the best IPAs (Tree House, Tilted Barn, Bissell Brothers, Equilibrium, etc.) and above other breweries that people hype up (Trillum, Tired Hands, etc.).

unnamed-3.jpg

Other Half DDH Cream of Broccoli. Same hops as Broccoli (Mosaic, Simcoe, Hallertau Blanc, Cascade), but double-dry hopped with the addition of extra oats and lactose. Still very green/vegetal (it was only canned 1 day ago), but another beer showing a lot of promise. I've always liked that Broccoli was a mash-up of east-coast and west-coast IPA flavors. The addition of a creamy component makes this even more interesting.

Cheers, NT!:nthat:

Screenshot_2018-01-06-18-51-56.png

For tonight. This is a fairly local place here in MN about an hour from me. It tastes good to me, but seems thicker than I thought it would. It got better as it weaned up a bit. I would get this again.

I think I saw that High West Victory at Sea the other day and almost got it. May have to go for it.

Got an oldie and some new goodies for my weekly beer drop:

unnamed.jpg

Ballast Point High West Barrel-Aged Victory At Sea. Good barrel character, but I felt like it took away from the adjunct flavors that make me really enjoy the OG. It's tasty, but I'd take the regular version over this 99 times out of 100.

unnamed-1.jpg

Other Half Triple Cream. 10% Oat Cream IPA hopped with the hops they use in Cheddar (Citra, Ekuanot, Kohatu, and Wai-iti), then dry-hopped with Citra lupulin powder, then finally dry-hopped entirely with Galaxy. This is still really fresh, so it still has some of those bitter/grassy notes you get from Ekuanot, but this is hop milk otherwise. Probably the thickest/creamiest IPA I've ever had. The high ABV should give it some resiliency to age, which should help things as the Ekuanot mellows out. This one shows a lot of potential.

unnamed-2.jpg

One of the first Other Half cans I ever got my hands on: OG Citra. This isn't the same beer as my first experience back in 2015, but that's not exactly a bad thing either. Much thicker, fuller, and juicier this time around. Other Half has come a long way and improved so much since they first started canning. I would honestly place them right alongside the breweries that I think make the best IPAs (Tree House, Tilted Barn, Bissell Brothers, Equilibrium, etc.) and above other breweries that people hype up (Trillum, Tired Hands, etc.).

unnamed-3.jpg

Other Half DDH Cream of Broccoli. Same hops as Broccoli (Mosaic, Simcoe, Hallertau Blanc, Cascade), but double-dry hopped with the addition of extra oats and lactose. Still very green/vegetal (it was only canned 1 day ago), but another beer showing a lot of promise. I've always liked that Broccoli was a mash-up of east-coast and west-coast IPA flavors. The addition of a creamy component makes this even more interesting.

Cheers, NT!:nthat:

Another solid review. Have to agree about Other Half. They’ve definitely stepped up their quality. Dropped by while visiting a friend for one of the LCD shows a few weeks ago and the new taproom was a much needed improvement and the beers were great. Absolutely loved Space Daydream.

What’s good with Tilted Barn? One of my clients is a university in their backyard and I’ll be there in a few weeks. Usually skip it and head to my old stomping grounds in Boston but I’d like to bring something different back.

Any word?

I’ll keep the favor in mind, thanks

I did have dough boy

I thought it was really good but not very hazy, not that it really matters

Seems like the haziness was very inconsistent from pics I saw on Untappd

Went to Pizza boy today, they had cases and cases of the coconut and cocoa sunny side up on the floor. I had some of the Tired Hands they had on tap. Also, rumor on the street is that they're getting the license to sell nation wide beer again starting in March

Some of the beers I had this weekend.

Tired Hands - Saison Hands
This is an oak barrel aged farmhouse ale. Philadelphia based so I'll always be biased. Very easy to drink and session, nothing outstanding but good all around. Not overly sweet or sour.

Tired Hands - HopHands
This is their house APA. Poured ultra hazy. Smells very citrusy and like grapefruit but tastes more floraly and piney. Dry aftertaste. Good all around beer, I can see why people like it like the way they do

Oskar Blues - Death by Coconut
Let me preface this review by saying I chuged a sunny side up by Pizza Boy on my way out heading to the bar that had this. Extreme coconut taste but very manageable. After a few sips though, it gets to be way too much. This is best seved in 8-10 oz. Any more and it's a legit death by Coconut

Dogfish Head - Seaquench Ale
This is their new-ish session gose. Finally got around to trying it. Nothing outstanding but it is tasty. It's barely sour. Serves it's purpose of being a session sour. The hint of pepper is very nice. Could drink this all day come summer time.

Troegs - Scratch #307
Another brewery that is close to me and I have a clear bias for. This I'd a cherry chocolate stout. A nice departure from the coffee stouts Ive been having lately. Great flavor with the chocolate being dominant. Cherry comes in on the after taste. Great try if you can find it

^any Hazleton Native left?

I thought maybe I would have an opportunity to go there Thursday this week but then realized my daughter has ice skating lessons that night

MLK day may be a good day for me to go there if they still have cans...i don't think they're doing another canning run until late this month

that would be nice if they get a license to sell out of state beer again, and they could probably get it cheaper than they sold their previous for

they would get some pretty nice stuff on tap when they had it previously...'14 CBS, multiple GI Bourbon County beers for black Friday, among other harder to come by or draft only beers

My homie is in Brooklyn today. He picked me up cans of Mosaic and Go With The Flow at Other Half :pimp: :pimp:
Nice. I was there today. I scored all of the cans, but I'm way more excited about the fact that I was able to score a ton of Hudson Valley stuff by trading away some other local goodies.

Reviews to follow.

Nice. I was there today. I scored all of the cans, but I'm way more excited about the fact that I was able to score a ton of Hudson Valley stuff by trading away some other local goodies.

Reviews to follow.

Really wanted DDH Citra but that went first he said. Can't wait to crack it open when he gets back, never had it before.

IMG_20180112_190612_849.jpg

Last night's pour. Local brewery to me. Evergrain Joose Juicy. Their take on a NE IPA. One of my first forays into this style.

Super easy to drink, legit tastes like juice with a hoppy backbone. Super drinkable.

Haven't bought any new beer or been to a brewery this 2018.

Been there. Done that. But I'm trying to cut back. I calculated 2017 beer expenses and It's a little sad (even with a 49 day no beer fast). I've had fun but I truly have nothing to show for it except a larger # on the scale.

Continuing on from Thanksgiving time, I'm on a straight beer fridge/cellar clear out.

A0789518-A13D-4EAB-8CBC-9E9C05CEAC8C.jpeg

I have a combined 3+ cases of these beers (excluding DbC and barney flats. those have been retired lol). I think its something like 18 high west, 10 ba 1050, 6 regular 1050, 12 xoco, 6 black notes, 12 fbs, and not pictured 7 kbs, two CBS, and 5 parabolas.

Some random thoughts
Sitting on multiples of BA 1050 (16 and 17).. I just dont think I like this one that much after having it a couple times over the past few weeks. Even with a year of age, the barrel influence is way too much. I think the ABV may be hurting it here. On the opposite end, Black Note is smooth and balanced. Definitely a winner of the bunch. Even regular 1050 is a gem compared to BA 1050. Not sure what to do with my remaining 10 cans.

50-50 blends of FBS and Xocoveza have continued through the holidays. Down to my last two six packs.. FBS I heard is now year round, so Im not too upset. Both of these with age on them are shells of their former self. I had a 3 week old FBS right around the new years and the coffee influence is huge.. Not so great on the original releases from Sept. 1st.

CBS will be had tonight, along with a high west attempt. We'll see how they compare and contrast. KBS is super iffy for me. Some days, its great. Other days its bland and dirty tasting.
Same with Parabola. If I have that one solo, its fine. But compared to say a black note, or regular 1050, my tasting notes are off when I have it. Definitely feels inferior for the most part
-------

I actually deleted my untappd and missed out on my first Lc NEIPA can release (citra SMASH- heard it tastes like straight pineapple juice) two days ago. I had a day (friday) where FOMO kicked in, but that quickly ends. I saved myself $70 by staying in.

Am I the only crazy one sitting on cases of beer with the urge to buy more. That can't be healthy. I'm trying to end a bad thing lol.

I gifted a buddy for xmas:
1 cbs big bomber, and singles of parabola, high west, kbs, fbs, xocoveza, black note, and a local IS can in an effort to expedite my cleaning process.

Last edited:
Haven't bought any new beer or been to a brewery this 2018.

Been there. Done that. But I'm trying to cut back. I calculated 2017 beer expenses and It's a little sad (even with a 49 day no beer fast). I've had fun but I truly have nothing to show for it except a larger # on the scale.

Continuing on from Thanksgiving time, I'm on a straight beer fridge/cellar clear out.

A0789518-A13D-4EAB-8CBC-9E9C05CEAC8C.jpeg

I have a combined 3+ cases of these beers (excluding DbC and barney flats. those have been retired lol). I think its something like 18 high west, 10 ba 1050, 6 regular 1050, 12 xoco, 12 fbs, and not pictured 7 kbs, two CBS, and 5 parabolas.

Some random thoughts
Sitting on multiples of BA 1050 (16 and 17).. I just dont think I like this one that much after having it a couple times over the past few weeks. Even with a year of age, the barrel influence is way too much. I think the ABV may be hurting it here. On the opposite end, Black Note is smooth and balanced. Definitely a winner of the bunch. Even regular 1050 is a gem compared to BA 1050. Not sure what to do with my remaining 10 cans.

50-50 blends of FBS and Xocoveza have continued through the holidays. Down to my last two six packs.. FBS I heard is now year round, so Im not too upset. Both of these with age on them are shells of their former self. I had a 3 week old FBS right around the new years and the coffee influence is huge.. Not so great on the original releases from Sept. 1st.

CBS will be had tonight, along with a high west attempt. We'll see how they compare and contrast. KBS is super iffy for me. Some days, its great. Other days its bland and dirty tasting.
Same with Parabola. If I have that one solo, its fine. But compared to say a black note, or regular 1050, my tasting notes are off when I have it. Definitely feels inferior for the most part
-------

I actually deleted my untappd and missed out on my first Lc NEIPA can release (citra SMASH- heard it tastes like straight pineapple juice) two days ago. I had a day (friday) where FOMO kicked in, but that quickly ends. I saved myself $70 by staying in.

Am I the only crazy one sitting on cases of beer with the urge to buy more. That can't be healthy. I'm trying to end a bad thing lol.

I gifted a buddy for xmas:
1 cbs big bomber, and singles of parabola, high west, kbs, fbs, xocoveza, black note, and a local IS can in an effort to expedite my cleaning process.
Crazy. Great post! You did it heavy.

I’m with you with the clear out. I’m cutting back heavy. Same exact reason you.

I don’t follow all of the abbreviations in your post. I ask you extend them upon first usage.

I don't buy too much beer persay, I just buy six packs of things I want to try and end up not wanting the entire thing. Then it just sits :lol:

I'll usually grab 1-2 six packs a week so it's not too bad

Yeah for me, it just adds up. 3 6packs of fbs initially, then 1 more in december. Xocoveza is a seasonal so I tell myself I like to have enough for the entire summer and into early fall of the following year (bought 3 six packs over a months time). It may sound crazy, but i buy more than I consume lol.

Black note came and went at one place. Then TW had some when I showed up. No limit there (other place had single bottle limits). Price was good. So I went with 3 4packs. Only been through like 3 singles. Looking back, a single four pack wouldve been perfect. Same with parabola and high west. My area has almost zero hype for stuff. So obtaining a case of high west 13 months ago felt like a good idea ( I think the store itself got 3 cases for my entire metro area), but I still havent gotten close to drinking half of what I purchased.Then with BA 1050, the beer was still in the six pack holder ring, so they charged me $13 for six of them. Parabola had about 4 cases locally. I went with 7 singles at the time (a fellow NTer hooked it up with the bomber years ago and I found that to be one of my favorites ever. So a smaller format purchase seemed logical).

To some degree, I thank Founders for not releasing CBS in 12 oz bottles state side. I probably wouldve been in a crazy situation like I am with these others (I probably wouldve bought 12-18 singles).

I will say, as I type this out, and as I drink a 13 month old High West Lagunitas imperial stout, its tasting mighty fine. One of the best values at $11/sixer. No regrets in getting a case when I got it. Its aged very well. I've already spent the money. I just need to budget drink these cases I have for the next few months and forget anything else exists.. Seasonals are my biggest pitfall.

I'm equipped until July with beer if I just forget that FOMO mantra and consume what I already own.. Wish me luck.
I hear of others on BA who have a full beer fridge, but keep on buying more and more and more. Plus a true beer cellar. Not sure I would consider it a problem. But I'm trying to right some wrongs of my '16-'17 beer past and drink these suckers

5B753C24-9F19-470C-8609-1D3C9BBA9A4B.jpeg

Never heard of this brewery but saw it at a local store and decided to pick it up.

I am enjoying this one. Milk chocoloate and cocoa. Nice roastiness, vanilla and coffee flavor. Very well balanced with a nice mouthfeel.

I probably have about 20 beers that i'm sitting on. Most are barrel aged stouts/porters. As for the fridge, i have about 8-12 cans from local breweries at a given time. I say i'm going to cut back every year but it doesn't seem to happen :lol:

Back
Top Bottom