NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

IMG_1552.JPG

I was really impressed by this one.

They had cases of Hazelton left on the floor. Coolers were also filled with it.
I’m told it’s gone now but they still have OG SSU and the two variants left

I thought the variants would be gone before Hazleton Native but I guess it’s due to the variants being 4 packs instead of 6 packs

Was hoping all three would be available tomorrow since I’m off work and able to drive down

They’re canning tomorrow but cans usually aren’t available the same day they can

I’m told it’s gone now but they still have OG SSU and the two variants left

I thought the variants would be gone before Hazleton Native but I guess it’s due to the variants being 4 packs instead of 6 packs

Was hoping all three would be available tomorrow since I’m off work and able to drive down

They’re canning tomorrow but cans usually aren’t available the same day they can

Do you know what they're canning? Im hoping they can their sour frontside lipslide

Ford checking in here. This week was big for me. Got an incredible career opportunity offered to me which has allowed me to quit my current job without any hesitation. As you could imagine, a celebration was in order. Here's some of the aftermath of said celebration:

unnamed.jpg

Sand City Infinty+2. 9% ABV brewed with the hops used in 2 (Galaxy, Mosaic, Citra, Simcoe, and Amarillo) with an additional dry-hop of Mosaic. It's funny, a few weeks before they released this they did a collab with Finback that was an IPA brewed with pineapple chunks. Having had both, this tastes way more like pineapple juice than the Finback collab. Not mad at that, though. This is incredible at a week old. I can only imagine how good the rest of my cans will taste with a little time on them. Stellar stuff.

unnamed-1.jpg

Had to seek out this whale. Tree House Very Green. Was lucky enough to score 5 cans in a few trades. Honestly? It's very good, but not a huge improvement over the original. Maybe it's still too young, but the booze/"green" charactersitics are very apparent in this. Gonna wait two weeks to open another can. Good, but reserving judgment.

unnamed-2.jpg

Suarez Family Palatine Pils. I've heard so many good things about Suarez Family before trying this. Knowing that they're all about lower ABV beers/obscure styles and their pedigree (Dan Suarez was a former brewer at Hill Farmstead), I was really excited to try this one. Didn't disappoint. A lot of people would question how much a brewer could do with a pilsner, but this one set the precedent for me. Still maintains that crisp/drinkable quality, but this has an amazing floral/fruity/bready characteristic to it. Such a drinkable beer. This is something I would drink all the time if it was available to me. I've always had a taste for light/crisp ales, and this one only reinforces my preferences.

unnamed-3.jpg

Other Half Oh...Forever. This one is a play off of the hop bill of Raining Threes (their collab with The Answer). Citra, Galaxy, and Motueka. Really tasty, but a few notches down from Raining Threes. Raining Threes was a hop showcase, whereas the malts in this add a lot of generic sweetness that muddies up the juiciness. Still great, just not Raining Threes great.

unnamed-4.jpg

Other Half DDH Go With The Flow. Brewed with Citra, Simcoe, and Motueka. First impression was that I'm not all that impressed. It's fine, but a little too Simcoe and Motueka heavy. Very lemon/lime forward with not that much else to show for it. Then again, it's still very fresh. Maybe this will round out?

unnamed-5.jpg

Other Half Mosaic Dream. Hopped solely with the aforementioned hop. Still a bit oniony and a little thin (though not upsettingly thin for the ABV), but juicy and drinkable. I see this one developing nicely over the next week or two.

Last edited:
Part 2:
unnamed-6.jpg

Carton Regular Coffee. This one reminds me a lot of Ballast Point Calm Before the Storm. Not sure if they brew that one anymore, but this one is interesting if anything. Straddles the line well between imperial cream ale and coffee beer. Tastes more like a beer than a cup of coffee with cream and sugar, but should I be upset about that?

unnamed-7.jpg

Hudson Valley Tangerine Silhouette. "Brunch style" sour IPA brewed with tangerine, oats, lactose, and citra/mosaic. Tangerine isn't my favorite fruit, but this is really tasty. More hoppy than tart, but just sour enough to keep your palate entertained. Hudson Valley is quickly becoming my favorite brewery, and this one isn't detracting from my sentiment.

unnamed-8.jpg

Foam Brewers Pavement. I like the band, and I like the fact that Foam makes references to a lot of the music I'm into, but I think this one might have been an old can. The hop character is there, but it's met with a generic sweetness and a flavor that reminds me of old malts. Got this in a trade from a dude that was honest about not knowing its age, and I'm assuming this one is past its prime. Gonna hold off on further judgment until I can get a can that I know is fresh.

unnamed-9.jpg

Tired Hands Refreshing. This is good, but I'm convinced that every Tired Hands beer has lactose in it. All of them are super heavy. This is essentially hop milk. I don't understand how someone could be able to drink more than one of these in a session.

unnamed-10.jpg

Tired Hands Pineapple Milkshake. Honestly? Not getting much pineapple. Also, the fact that this one was easier to drink than Refreshing affirms the fact that they add lactose to just about all of their IPAs. Don't believe the hype. Wouldn't seek this out again.

unnamed-11.jpg

Hudson Valley Holy Icon. Another Sour IPA brewed with passionfruit, vanilla beans, lactose, mosaic, and el dorado. This one was a "holy ****" beer. These super heavy lactose beers need that sour acidity to cut through them and create a more complete package. Hudson Valley accomplishes this better than any other brewery out there. Perfect combination of fruity/hoppy/tart/creamy. Can't wait to crack into my other stuff from them.

Happy Sunday, NT!

Had to depart from my usual weekly check-ins to talk about this one:

unnamed.jpg

Hudson Valley is a problem, NT. This one is the pineapple version of Silhouette. Tangerine was damn good, but this one is next level. Huge candy pineapple/citrus flavor with an infinitely creamy/bready back end to round it out perfectly. This is like tart pineapple creamsicle beer. Just fires on all cylinders. A lot of people find sours to be too off-putting or only good in small doses. These people have never had a Hudson Valley beer. They've single-handedly changed the way I think about sours or the concept of sour IPAs. You're looking at the future right here.

IMG_20180114_221653_641.jpg
IMG_20180112_205537_773.jpg

@comparisonford I didnt see you at the hudson valley release, have you tried the peach yet? I feel its the best of the three, reminds me of florida plates, grabbed some crowlers of the new batch of amorphia as well, this batch isnt as sour as the canned version but it has an interesting color, heavy on the strawberry

IMG_20180114_221653_641.jpg
IMG_20180112_205537_773.jpg

@comparisonford I didnt see you at the hudson valley release, have you tried the peach yet? I feel its the best of the three, reminds me of florida plates, grabbed some crowlers of the new batch of amorphia as well, this batch isnt as sour as the canned version but it has an interesting color, heavy on the strawberry
Didn't go to the HV release, but scored one of each cans in a trade at OH. Saving peach for last.

Sour ipas huh? How sour are we talking ? Like a dfh seaquench sort of tartness and more into a gose? Those I always felt could use some fruity hop flavor ( the blood orange gose by Anderson valley has the beginning stages of the citrus element). It looks like places are taking things further.

There's also a misconception with the term sour. It's thrown out there too much IMHO. So many of them are just vaguely tart to my senses. Sour to me are some of those beers like krieks and Flanders, where vinegar begins to take over. I like those less than the simple kettle soured beers. Kettle Sours are cheating in some sense but there's more control there.

I always told myself that I would hate strawberry ipas ( with vanilla beans added and lactose). But they are surprisingly good. Then again, I saw zero harsh pine hop flavors or harsh ibus. So even what an IPA is, is evolving.

I've had Brett ipas over the years. But that's more of a funky flavor than straight sour or tart. Sour and IPA are two big trigger words. Not a surprise that they've come together in perfect unison.

Sour ipas huh? How sour are we talking ?
In my opinion? The perfect amount. Just enough to cut through the creaminess provided by the oats/lactose/vanilla beans/whatever else while maintaining their characteristics. Perfectly chuggable, but with a flavor that warrants being savored. I would drink one of these every day if I could.

Speaking of:
unnamed.jpg

Peach Silhouette. Heard this was the best one from a bunch of people and they weren't lying. Same praises I gave to the others, but the peach flavor in this tastes so natural. This is a desert island beer right here. Could drink this every day and not get sick of it. My favorite beer of 2018 so far.

I had a couple of Pizza Boy beers that were billed as as sour IPA and didn’t care much for them so I passed on the sour Frontside Lipslide yesterday

Although, I thought their LemonDairy was real good

I had a couple of Pizza Boy beers that were billed as as sour IPA and didn’t care much for them so I passed on the sour Frontside Lipslide yesterday

Although, I thought their LemonDairy was real good
Got some buddies in town tomorrow. Either going to pizza boy or troegs.

Kinda wanna go to troegs to try Nugget Nectar on Nitro as well as some of the other scratch stuff. They got a couple sours listed on their site that has me intrigued

^they have it on nitro and CO2 at Pizza Boy

I got the last pour (half pour actually) of Nugget Nectar dry hopped simcoe on cask...that's likely gone at Troegs as well but I saw that McGrath's got it as well

^they have it on nitro and CO2 at Pizza Boy

I got the last pour (half pour actually) of Nugget Nectar dry hopped simcoe on cask...that's likely gone at Troegs as well but I saw that McGrath's got it as well

Damn I ain't know McGrath's got it. You ever been go shady mcgradys? Joint had CBS and 120 minute on tap last weekend :lol:

^never been there but I’m aware of Shady McGrady’s...I’ve always wanted to check it out

I’ve always liked dive bars and a craft centric dive bar is a rare find

If you ever find yourself in Phillipsburg NJ check out Freebridge Wine & Spirits/The Wardell Pub...great craft centric dive bar and you can bring food over from the restaurant next door

Plus, Sole Artisan Ales is about 500 feet away across the bridge in Easton, PA and Weyerbacher is in Easton as well

Ford checking in here. This week was big for me. Got an incredible career opportunity offered to me which has allowed me to quit my current job without any hesitation. As you could imagine, a celebration was in order. Here's some of the aftermath of said celebration:

unnamed.jpg

Sand City Infinty+2. 9% ABV brewed with the hops used in 2 (Galaxy, Mosaic, Citra, Simcoe, and Amarillo) with an additional dry-hop of Mosaic. It's funny, a few weeks before they released this they did a collab with Finback that was an IPA brewed with pineapple chunks. Having had both, this tastes way more like pineapple juice than the Finback collab. Not mad at that, though. This is incredible at a week old. I can only imagine how good the rest of my cans will taste with a little time on them. Stellar stuff.

unnamed-1.jpg

Had to seek out this whale. Tree House Very Green. Was lucky enough to score 5 cans in a few trades. Honestly? It's very good, but not a huge improvement over the original. Maybe it's still too young, but the booze/"green" charactersitics are very apparent in this. Gonna wait two weeks to open another can. Good, but reserving judgment.

unnamed-2.jpg

Suarez Family Palatine Pils. I've heard so many good things about Suarez Family before trying this. Knowing that they're all about lower ABV beers/obscure styles and their pedigree (Dan Suarez was a former brewer at Hill Farmstead), I was really excited to try this one. Didn't disappoint. A lot of people would question how much a brewer could do with a pilsner, but this one set the precedent for me. Still maintains that crisp/drinkable quality, but this has an amazing floral/fruity/bready characteristic to it. Such a drinkable beer. This is something I would drink all the time if it was available to me. I've always had a taste for light/crisp ales, and this one only reinforces my preferences.

unnamed-3.jpg

Other Half Oh...Forever. This one is a play off of the hop bill of Raining Threes (their collab with The Answer). Citra, Galaxy, and Motueka. Really tasty, but a few notches down from Raining Threes. Raining Threes was a hop showcase, whereas the malts in this add a lot of generic sweetness that muddies up the juiciness. Still great, just not Raining Threes great.

unnamed-4.jpg

Other Half DDH Go With The Flow. Brewed with Citra, Simcoe, and Motueka. First impression was that I'm not all that impressed. It's fine, but a little too Simcoe and Motueka heavy. Very lemon/lime forward with not that much else to show for it. Then again, it's still very fresh. Maybe this will round out?

unnamed-5.jpg

Other Half Mosaic Dream. Hopped solely with the aforementioned hop. Still a bit oniony and a little thin (though not upsettingly thin for the ABV), but juicy and drinkable. I see this one developing nicely over the next week or two.

Cracked open the DDH Go With the Flow. I loved it. Definitely citrus forward as you mentioned. Had a good mouthfeel and left a slight tingling after taste.

Waiting for Mosaic Dream to sit for a week or two before opening per your recommendation.

First venture into Other Half. Big fan of them. Wish I got the Citra Daydream since my coworker was hyping up Citra hops but oh whale

D55DC2EB-D955-4A78-B08B-4B38E9BD5733.jpeg

Good stuff. Got passionfruit, oranges, and melon. Nice flavors for 4.5%

C7A8649B-5B6B-451E-9F8D-4FFB22601167.jpeg

Its alright. Not as much tropical fruit as the other one. I wouldnt call it a NE ipa.

Last edited:
A few new reviews here. Skipped Other Half this past weekend and plan on doing the same this weekend. Not too crazy about any of the beers being released and I'm moving into a new apartment at the end of the month so it's whittlin' season before the 4th Anniversary release. Off to the races:

unnamed.jpg

Hudson Valley Graven Image. Sour IPA brewed with raw wheat, malted oat, lactose, jasmine green tea, lime and hopped entirely with Motueka. A little more tart than most of their other offerings, most likely due to the addition of lime. Very tasty, but not my favorite Hudson Valley. Not exactly a knock considering that they're still my favorite brewery at the moment. I would still purchase this one again.

unnamed-1.jpg

Firestone Walker XXI Anniversary Ale. This is a blend of a lot of their barrel-aged stuff. I threw out the sheet breaking down the exact percentages of each beer because I don't care, quite frankly. This is good, but I think I've lost my taste for a lot of darker/barrel-aged beers. I think they lack the diversity of flavors that you can get from beers like IPAs and sours. Controversial opinion, but one I stand by.

unnamed-2.jpg

Grimm Galaxy Pop! Berliner Weisse with lactose, vanilla beans, and hopped entirely with Galaxy. This one was pretty great. Very reminiscent of Hudson Valley's stuff, just maybe a notch or two below their quality. Either way, I liked this enough to pick up another bottle. Tastes like tart/hoppy cream soda.

unnamed-3.jpg

Sand City x Mumford Back Away Slowly. 8.7% ABV IPA brewed with Citra, Galaxy, and Equinox. This has the perfect amount of Equinox, if you ask me. Just helps to add the perfect amount of bitterness to contrast the juicy notes you get from Citra and Galaxy. Drinking pretty great right from the get-go. Not sad that I only picked up one 4-pack of this, but still very happy to enjoy this.

Hudson valley looks to have a sour IPA with vanilla and cinnamon and citra powder releasing this weekend. Comparison Ford Comparison Ford u gotta tell us how that is. Seems so weird but enticing. Also hearing some waiting some 4+ hours now? I guess youve made it when that's the case and you have a thread on Ba comparing lines to other areas. We've gotten so far from what craft beer started as. I guess that's the evolution of great quality meshing with popularity.

Seems like I missed my chance to visit before the crazy hype took over. I may be out there in a month or two. What's the tapcroom situation like on a random day they are open? Solid variety of choices? Any of these can releases make it to crowler or tap? Should ask the same about equilibrium

Super jealous. All my new local breweries have been doing is copy cats of one another. Same 5-6 regular core offerings then a few different ones. Seen a few Berliner weisse and goses and kettle Sours but never this amounts of combined Ingridients. Loving it.

Last edited:
REALLY hype. Local beer dist near my parents house had a ton of Evil Twin. Never seen it before.

I picked up:

Imperial Biscotti Break
Modern IPA (6 pack for $5.75 :pimp:)

They also had:
Even More Jesus
DDH I always felt closer to IPAS....
Molotov Cocktail
CC Jai Alai White Oak

Gonna go back and grab a few more, really excited for some reason :lol:

Hudson valley looks to have a sour IPA with vanilla and cinnamon and citra powder releasing this weekend. Comparison Ford Comparison Ford u gotta tell us how that is. Seems so weird but enticing. Also hearing some waiting some 4+ hours now? I guess youve made it when that's the case and you have a thread on Ba comparing lines to other areas. We've gotten so far from what craft beer started as. I guess that's the evolution of great quality meshing with popularity.

Seems like I missed my chance to visit before the crazy hype took over. I may be out there in a month or two. What's the tapcroom situation like on a random day they are open? Solid variety of choices? Any of these can releases make it to crowler or tap? Should ask the same about equilibrium

Super jealous. All my new local breweries have been doing is copy cats of one another. Same 5-6 regular core offerings then a few different ones. Seen a few Berliner weisse and goses and kettle Sours but never this amounts of combined Ingridients. Loving it.
I definitely won't be lining up considering I live a little over 2 hours away, but I'll probably overpay for a can or two of each on MyBeerCollectibles to give them a shot. The beers they're releasing tomorrow sound a lot like Multichorus and Subglitch, which were both outstanding. I think I listed Multichorus as my #4 beer of last year? I stand by that.

Never actually been to any of the breweries in the Hudson Valley region, but it seems like Equilibrium (while still pretty busy) is more tame than Hudson Valley, particularly on release days. Seems like most offerings are available on tap the day of. Probably gonna take a trip up there this summer to do a brewery tour (Hudson Valley, Equilibrium, Suarez Family, District 96, etc.). Hard to think of such a small region with this many hyped, up-and-coming breweries at the present moment.

Good info.. To think, like just a couple years back, Captain Lawrence was the only option. Even just 5 years back, nothing came close. Grocery stores had a few NE mainstays (smuttynose who is now up for sale). But nothing like this. The NY scene is brand new, but I knew they would be on top of things sooner than later. Now it feels like other regions are trying to catch up with them.

----------------
Just had my first fresh Hopslam (10 days old).

Initially very underwhelming. Sort of that piney west coast abrasive vibe, with some malt flavor to try and balance. Overall just a sweet sort of mess.

Odd thing happened about halfway through the single I bought. The aroma sort of turned tropical, as well as the flavor. Now I'm sort of craving more. It's a total WC style IPA at heart, but those fruity juicy vibes (albeit small) always wins me over. Given its ABV, it drinks quite easy/ I think thats where alot of the hype comes from. With all that said, the single I bought was probably enough. Sixers were $19. Singles $4. No regrets

Back
Top Bottom