NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

I tried this watching the O's game a few days ago, pretty strong but I enjoyed it. Can one of you gents recommend me a good beer too try with my young pallet? I'm use to the regular mainstream beers, bud light, busch, etc. Thanks in advance :pimp:

A couple pages back, I wrote some suggestions but I don't mind doing it again.

The Rye Pale Ale you had is considered a Pale ale, which is about midway point between a mildly hoppy beer *say Blonde ale, and a truly hop bomb, a IPA. So you definitely jumped right in there trying new stuff.. I looked online and the terrapin rye pale ale is 5.4% abv vs 4.2% in many light beers, and has a hop bitterness of 45 vs 5-10 on the lighter macro beers.. So you had quite the jump.

Pale ales to me are the second tier beers you may try after a few months getting into the entry level tier 1 stuff.

Some tier 1 recommendations

Pilsner
Blonde Ale
Wheat beers including Hefeweizen
Fruit Beers
Belgium Blonde *these may be higher in ABV so be careful :D

Many red, browns, and octoberfests are really malt forward. But that may appeal to you right away.

Almost all of these are very mild in the hop category.. If you realize you like hops right off the bat, jump into Pale Ales and IPAs...

If you like coffee and chocolate subtly mixed with hops, stouts may be your thing.

Lately I've noticed many beer stores offering build your own "six packs" for $1.50- $2.00 a beer. It's more just you buying a single bottle. It's worth it to seek out a place that does offer this service..

Many beer store visits I spend 15 minutes on my phone looking at reviews and other websites figuring out what I may want. Once you get past the macro cheap stuff, the options are bountiful.

A couple pages back, I wrote some suggestions but I don't mind doing it again.

The Rye Pale Ale you had is considered a Pale ale, which is about midway point between a mildly hoppy beer *say Blonde ale, and a truly hop bomb, a IPA. So you definitely jumped right in there trying new stuff.. I looked online and the terrapin rye pale ale is 5.4% abv vs 4.2% in many light beers, and has a hop bitterness of 45 vs 5-10 on the lighter macro beers.. So you had quite the jump.

Pale ales to me are the second tier beers you may try after a few months getting into the entry level tier 1 stuff.

Some tier 1 recommendations

Pilsner
Blonde Ale
Wheat beers including Hefeweizen
Fruit Beers
Belgium Blonde *these may be higher in ABV so be careful :D

Many red, browns, and octoberfests are really malt forward. But that may appeal to you right away.

Almost all of these are very mild in the hop category.. If you realize you like hops right off the bat, jump into Pale Ales and IPAs...

If you like coffee and chocolate subtly mixed with hops, stouts may be your thing.

Lately I've noticed many beer stores offering build your own "six packs" for $1.50- $2.00 a beer. It's more just you buying a single bottle. It's worth it to seek out a place that does offer this service..

Many beer store visits I spend 15 minutes on my phone looking at reviews and other websites figuring out what I may want. Once you get past the macro cheap stuff, the options are bountiful.
Thanks alot, ill be sure to take your advice and report back how I make out. I figured I had skipped a tier or so trying that :lol:

^let me know how the tastings turn out.
---------
I just had a truly depressing experience.. A local breweries beer had been available in case form for almost 2 years at a local Sams Club. Long story short for whatever reasons, the beer is no longer on the shelves.. Sam's was the only place that had this beer available in a case, so I give them credit and props on that. But sadly, the shelves at Sam's Club are now filled with almost 100% non local beers.

I can't stress enough. Buy local, drink local, and support local breweries. These places are spreading like wild fire, and more than half of them have decent drinks available for a fraction of the cost of "restaurant prices". So there is no reason to drink these guys exclusively.. I'm myself guilty of buying import beer once in awhile. But a standard effort to buy local has to be given imho.

So I ended up not buying anything at Sam's club, and proceeded to another place where I got 4 6 packs of other local beers, and ended up today at another local brewery...... Support local to the CORE.. We may think we are making an impact, but my 9-10 case purchases over a 2 year span at Sam's Club were obviously not enough.

----
Only one new beer I'm trying for the first time

Odell's Double Pilsner

This thing is just 100% total sweetness through and through. Your stouts and IPAs can hide the alcohol with chocolate malt and/or hops, but this has none of that. The carbonation/crispness is not quite at the level of other pilsners, so this one definitely becomes a sipper and a sweet one at that.. It's different, and I have three more of them to drink, but for me, it is definitely one that is not a buy again. I would rather buy a 5.5% pilsner and enjoy the sessionablity of it, compared to this one being more of a sweet sipper.

Had this yesterday at Happy Hour. It tasted like pure Mott's Apple Juice. Maybe even sweeter. Not my cup of tea at all. It's made by Miller so I should have known better

And by the way, girls who drink good beer >>>>> * 
nthat.gif

Anybody try High or Hell Watermelon?

I've been meaning to try it for a while and the bar I was at yesterday ran out of it. I'm actually considering driving 20 min away after work sometime this week to the nearest place that sells it

Anybody try High or Hell Watermelon?

I've been meaning to try it for a while and the bar I was at yesterday ran out of it. I'm actually considering driving 20 min away after work sometime this week to the nearest place that sells it

It's good, can't believe how big it's become, I could only get it at Kunda Beverage in KOP in 2009 and now it's all over

Old vans were so much better

Yeah man, I didn't here about it until 2010 my Freshman year but I started to see it show up every where in the last year or two. I hope it's not too sweet. I like fruit beers where the fruit isn't the dominant taste. I like it where the fruit is only a hint

Yeah man, I didn't here about it until 2010 my Freshman year but I started to see it show up every where in the last year or two. I hope it's not too sweet. I like fruit beers where the fruit isn't the dominant taste. I like it where the fruit is only a hint

It's not sweet to me, hard to explain you know when you get closer to the rind of a watermelon and it's not overly sweet? Guess that's kinda how I'd describe but def not sweet

I bought Hooker Watermelon Lager, that's very sweet

Roy Pitz makes a Watermelon Ale which is awesome

I might be going to SF for work next month and I'm def hitting up 21st Amendment

It's not sweet to me, hard to explain you know when you get closer to the rind of a watermelon and it's not overly sweet? Guess that's kinda how I'd describe but def not sweet

I bought Hooker Watermelon Lager, that's very sweet

Roy Pitz makes a Watermelon Ale which is awesome

I might be going to SF for work next month and I'm def hitting up 21st Amendment
Yeah, i feel you my dude. closer to the rind, you get that hint of flavor and more water.i feel like some fruity beers are just beers cut with some juice lol. way too sweet, which im not really into. I think my favorite fruity beer that ive tried is Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Lancaster Strawberry Wheat

Might make a run to the bottle shop today and pick up a six pack. I'm starting to get more into the craft beers and microbrews. My favorite beer so far is probably Stella lol. What would you recommend for someone like me who's just "starting" 
laugh.gif

Been aging this bottle for almost two years if I remember correctly. Anyone tried thirteenth hour that can eleborate on it? I'm thinking of opening it very soon

Picked up this sampler at the bar next yo my apartment. Ive had the sierra Nevada before which was excellent. Can't wait to try the others

Been aging this bottle for almost two years if I remember correctly. Anyone tried thirteenth hour that can eleborate on it? I'm thinking of opening it very soon

I just bought this for nephew over the weekend. He's an SA fan and he's having a kid. Told him to wait until fall to drink it. If this needs to age longer, please let me know. I'll tell him to crack it open on the kid's first birthday or something.

Went to my local Yardhouse on friday.
Started off with a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier

awesome beer with a semi Cali sunset in the background.

Then had a PranQster. My usual suspect.
And finished off with a Ommegang Hennepin. First time having. It was excellent. Refreshing. Nice beer to finish off the night.

-J-

Yeah, i feel you my dude. closer to the rind, you get that hint of flavor and more water.i feel like some fruity beers are just beers cut with some juice lol. way too sweet, which im not really into. I think my favorite fruity beer that ive tried is Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and Lancaster Strawberry Wheat

Might make a run to the bottle shop today and pick up a six pack. I'm starting to get more into the craft beers and microbrews. My favorite beer so far is probably Stella lol. What would you recommend for someone like me who's just "starting" 
laugh.gif

I saw you got Troegs, try their Dreamweaver

It's an unfiltered wheat, pretty good

My fav breweries have good summer stuff try...

Dogfish Head Festina Peche
Bells Oberon
Victory Summer Love

Last edited:
I saw you got Troegs, try their Dreamweaver

It's an unfiltered wheat, pretty good

My fav breweries have good summer stuff try...

Dogfish Head Festina Peche
Bells Oberon
Victory Summer Love

I'm gonna give that Dreamweaver a try.

I'm living in Harrisburg this summer which is 15 min away from the Troegs brewery in hershey. Might have to take a tour there.

Also, which dogfish head IPA would you recommend?

I'm gonna give that Dreamweaver a try.

I'm living in Harrisburg this summer which is 15 min away from the Troegs brewery in hershey. Might have to take a tour there.

60 is solid, 90 is one of the best out there, 120 will kill you

I had their new Dogfish 61, pretty damn good...it's made with grape dust

60 is solid, 90 is one of the best out there, 120 will kill you

I had their new Dogfish 61, pretty damn good...it's made with grape dust

Had a few 90's last night. One left in the fridge for tonight's Stanley Cup Finals :smokin. Heading up to Mpls later this week. Can't wait to get my hands on some Surly Furious and Bender!

I'd say start with the 60, then move your way up to the 75, then the 90. I've never had the 120.

this. i have a 120 (my first one) chillin in the fridge. paid a grip for that one bottle so waiting for a nice cookout or something to knock it out. 60 and 90 are in regular rotation. 75 is meh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom