NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

This can is four days old.  Honestly incredible.  Lives up to the hype.  Nothing more needs to be said.  10/10

Distributor again?
Nah.  Today was a complete surprise.  Found a small homebrewing/craft beer store about 20 minutes from my house. Figured I'd check it out for Ss and Gs. Small store with an even smaller selection...but holy hell did they have some white whales there.  They had every bottle of Stone Vertical Epic dating back to 2002, Sam Adams Utopias, a collection of vintage beers dating back as old as 2001, and the Heady.  The funny thing about the Heady was that it was pretty much hidden.  There was a small refrigerator with a poster covering the glass. After being slightly bummed out, I saw the fridge, opened it, and had my mind blown. $10 a can, but well worth it.  Also got the Supplication there.

Oh..dude at the shop told me he just sold a bottle of 2005 Dark Lord for $350. :x

Hot damn. I think i'll stick to pliny for my DIPA needs...not that i'd be able to find any heady anywhere in CA.

This beer actually tastes just like banana bread
laugh.gif
Friend put me onto it during a tailgate. It's really good but I couldn't drink a lot of it. One bottle in between other drinks was a nice change of pace.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

A small sampling from Sunday that we had included the following beers:

----------
Green Flash Trippel
New Belgium Trippel
La Fin Du monde Tripel
-----------
Bodington's Pub Ale
Abbott Ale
-------------
Franzishaner Dunkel
Weinhenstephaner Hefe Dark
13th Century Grut Bier

We tried to go for an all trippel type tasting but failed a bit as we found some other interesting tries.

Among the three trippels, the La Fin Du Monde Canadian beer was among the highest scored beers that we tried. We all agreed that it had a bit more fermented fruit type flavor to it..A complexity that is hard to truly appreciate as it brought so much flavor with it. It almost seemed like the La Fin Du Monde beer was more organic tasting in how it was brewed. Not to say the others had artifical tastes 100% of the way, but it seemed like the other two tasted a bit 'too good' as the imperfections of the Canadian beer really gave it character...The Green flash beer was quite a surprise. A bit more American and straight forward tasting compared to La Fin Du Monde. But it wasn't a bad taste persay.. As a whole, the trippel category was a sure fire hit for those tasting with us.. A bit of fruitiness, citrus, minimal hops, a little malt flavor, and that fruity yeast character that categorizes the entire genre... Yumm.. And on top of that for the trippels, your booze factor. I would never have given the New Belgium Trippel a first chance on a 4-6 pack purchase, but would now. That Belgium style is right to my liking...

I had professed a few months back about how Belgium Golden Ales or Strong ales were quite amazing with their complexity on a sweet note, adding all sorts of sweet characters otherwise unknown to me. The Trippels just added to that fact that beers can be sweet, and beers can taste amazing without any hint of hops.

Abbott Ale vs. Bodington's Pub Ale was quite the unfair tasting looking back. Bodington's had this draught style insert geared for a more smooth flavor... All we get out of this, including the nitro style beers, is that the beers do in fact taste smoother, but they also tend to have zero carbonation.. Abbott's Ale was a decent pale ale with above average flavor and character.. It was just another one of those beers you try, and move on with.

Not much of a review on my part on the next two. I kind of knew what I was getting into when I tried them
Franzishaner Dunkel was a bit darker in taste compared to their GREAT hefeweizen. Less Banana notes, and more of that dark malt character with the same amazing dryness made this one a great choice
Weinhenstephaner Hefe Dark.. Their normal Hefe is regarded as one of the best Hefe's in the world. This time around, the darker flavor wasn't quite as pronounced as you would assume. It' was more of a hefe "medium". But that's okay with me. The flavor was essentially the same as their normal hefe. So it was all smooth sailing from there..... If you love the darker notes out of either European beers, attempt to try either of these. If you want to stick to the style that is still reviewed as some of the better beers around, go with the traditional pours...

Now the weirdest for last.

13th Century Grut Bier has this long drawn out description on their bottle describing how they use bay leaves, caraway, anise, and other herbs in their beer... This one was just an herbal circus from the beginning.. It wasn't a poison that we couldn't handle so to speak. But the uniqueness, we could never really capture or pinpoint.. The reviews online are decent. And it;s described as an Ancient Herbed beer... It has hints of an experimental batch of homebrew. But with a slightly better finish. I'm not sure we'll seek this one out but it was fun to try.

-----

I went by the same place that had TEN FIDY hidden away, still hiding away, with the same open space I left it with after I purchased a few.. Two of those, and the buzz is heavy all night.. It's a treat to sip on that beer... Sadly, this place doesnt seem to buy a new stock of items until their current stock is sold out. So I may have to buy up their entire stock of TEN FIDY if I want any chance at a 2013 fall release... SO we shall see.

I['m still stockpiling IPAs for a tasting. I hope I didn't do much harm as far as "hop freshness" since many were purchased in March '13... That heavy hitting tasting will be occurring any day now.

Last edited:
Cracked this open about 20 minutes ago.  It's an imperial IPA with German hops and malts.  It's different for an IPA, but not a bad different.  The hops are there, but they're pretty mellow with an even balance of floral and citrus flavors.  Strong malt backbone on this beer.  Not really the hop bomb I've come to expect from Stone. For a 9.5% alcohol beer you can barely taste it.  Not my favorite IPA of all time, but not bad by any stretch of the imagination and certainly worth purchasing.  9/10  

Last edited:
This can is four days old.  Honestly incredible.  Lives up to the hype.  Nothing more needs to be said.  10/10

i just got my re up. receive it sunday late but won't be able to drink it for 2 weeks lol. my exp tho they taste the best the earliest you can drink it but they don't taste much diff at 2 weeks or so...

had this over the weekend...
tumblr_inline_mmniyfZn5R1qz4rgp.jpg

pretty good, but doesn't compare to heady.

Last edited:
currently enjoying la fin du monde and ballast point sculpin ipa

Solid choices :pimp:

A small sampling from Sunday that we had included the following beers:

----------
Green Flash Trippel
New Belgium Trippel
La Fin Du monde Tripel
-----------
Bodington's Pub Ale
Abbott Ale
-------------
Franzishaner Dunkel
Weinhenstephaner Hefe Dark
13th Century Grut Bier

I went by the same place that had TEN FIDY hidden away, still hiding away, with the same open space I left it with after I purchased a few.. Two of those, and the buzz is heavy all night.. It's a treat to sip on that beer... Sadly, this place doesnt seem to buy a new stock of items until their current stock is sold out. So I may have to buy up their entire stock of TEN FIDY if I want any chance at a 2013 fall release... SO we shall see.

I['m still stockpiling IPAs for a tasting. I hope I didn't do much harm as far as "hop freshness" since many were purchased in March '13... That heavy hitting tasting will be occurring any day now.
[/quote]

Is Ten Fidy hard for you guys to find? I'm in SD and last year we didn't get any Oskar Blues stuff. Now their main lineup can be found just about anywhere, even grocery store chains.

Cracked this open about 20 minutes ago.  It's an imperial IPA with German hops and malts.  It's different for an IPA, but not a bad different.  The hops are there, but they're pretty mellow with an even balance of floral and citrus flavors.  Strong malt backbone on this beer.  Not really the hop bomb I've come to expect from Stone. For a 9.5% alcohol beer you can barely taste it.  Not my favorite IPA of all time, but not bad by any stretch of the imagination and certainly worth purchasing.  9/10  

I need to try this

i just got my re up. receive it sunday late but won't be able to drink it for 2 weeks lol. my exp tho they taste the best the earliest you can drink it but they don't taste much diff at 2 weeks or so...

had this over the weekend...
tumblr_inline_mmniyfZn5R1qz4rgp.jpg

pretty good, but doesn't compare to heady.

Dorado is good, but since i'm a single IPA guy, Sculpin is godly in comparison.

Last edited:
Based Mod, since TEN FIDY is a winter seasonal, from my experience it is a bit harder to find than other OB beers. Some stores buy a few cases, sell them, and offer up the shelf space to another brewery. Other stores already have the 5-6 normal release OB cans and choose not to even mess with the $14-$16 4 packs.. It's a tricky game, this beer distribution setup we currently have in the US. So it's worth a couple visits or calls to a variety of places... Knowing that they start canning right around the end of September helps. So you may want to start calling or checking places out mid October through to at least the middle of December. And if you're lucky and find a place that has them and doesn't sell, you could scoop up multiple 4 packs in August, the year after.
--------

I had a bit of luck this morning with my homebrew Crystal Red Ale.. After pouring this pint, the keg started chocking on trub. So this was absolute perfect timing for a photo shoot.

Getting a decent photo was a challenge. But it kind of shows here. It pours a deep dark, yet vibrant red color.. For "red" ales from a style guide standpoint, this one was a touch darker than the norm.. In normal sitting conditions, the beer is quite dark looking. Only with the aid of some sun, do you see the red color shine through.

It definitely tasted like a hop bombed RED ale though. 55 IBU tasted more on the scale of 100. But I guess that's a positive thing since we were going for that hop bit... The caramel malt flavor was center stage through and through. This was a clone batch comparative to a local breweries red ale... I did have plans to do a side by side. But that will have to wait until the next time

Cheers

innis and gunn canadian cherrywood...you guys should give it a try it's pretty sweet
has an amber like color to it and imo is a bit too carbonated but is a very solid beer...the cherry taste is very apparent

http://niketalk.com/content/type/61/id/542145/

[img]http://niketalk.com/content/type/61/id/542147/

[img]http://niketalk.com/content/type/61/id/542148/

Last edited:
it's crazy because I stop by "spec's" about twice a week and I haven't seen any of these beers you guys post...
been on st. arnolds summer pilsner all summer...

tried karbachs "sympathy for the lager" thoroughly enjoyed that one as well as their "rodeo clown"...

The bruery had white chocolate on draft today. It is seriously amazing. Picked up 2 bottles of their Or Xata yesterday as well.

The bruery had white chocolate on draft today. It is seriously amazing. Picked up 2 bottles of their Or Xata yesterday as well.

:wow:
I gotta try that. Never heard of them before but I just looked them and I see that they are Cali based. I hope I can find that beer out here

Just split a bottle of or xata with my girlfriend and we agree it doesn't taste as fresh as when we first had it at Cincos. It's developed a slight bitterness.

Mastamind89: all their beer is amazing except maybe the hottenroth. Seriously give them a few more years and i beleive they'll be up there with stone, dogfish head and etc

Cooking up some brisket. This a good beer. Goes really good with seafood and cocktail sauce IMO.

Cooking up some brisket. This a good beer. Goes really good with seafood and cocktail sauce IMO.

I'm a big fan of everything I've had from Anchor.
Going to a West Coast brewery beer tasting in an hour, should be a good time.

Just finished my last 2 cans of Dale's Pale Ale.

And I gotta say...moving to Denver makes me appreciate craft beer even more than I did. There's just so damn much of it around here!

Over the past few weeks, the missus and I have been to a few of the local breweries (Strange & Funkwerks are especially badass) and enjoyed tons of great stuff, like Tne Bruery Tart Of Darkness, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde, the Funkwerks lineup, Colorado Cider Company and tons and tons more.

If you want an amazing craft beer-centered vacation, get to Denver, Boulder & Fort Collins!

IPAs for days at the bar tonight. 

Had Lagunitas, DFH 60, and Yards. Lagunitas is smooth as hell man 

Back
Top Bottom