NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

^ yeah. looks like it.. Aged for 10-20 years.. DAMN!

You know.. once you crack it open, itll be flat within a couple days.. Invite NT over for a party

Received this today. Had to try it out ASAP

-Carbonation was out of hand almost. Very lively.. Bottled date was February 4th, 2014, so about 4 weeks old.
-Initial smell had some slight pine, citrus, and mango.
-Taste on the other hand led more to a mellow delicate mouth feel. I don't want to say watered down, but it definitely surprised me. I mentioned it before with other great beers I've tried.. One does not need to go overboard with flavors and ingredients. Like a great piece of steak, it melts in your mouth. I felt HT and this one today exemplified that. Some would call it complexity.. I on the other hand would want to call it lack of flavor, or the choice to have that lacking. But it's a skill to create a beer this clean.
-Not a hop bomb in any regard. The hops tried to poke through and stick to my mouth, But it didnt really happen..
-About 3/4 of the way through, I got out a elevated ipa to try and compare. Elevated carries through with way more sweetness in the mouthfeel and almost mouth puckering hops. Some sort of tropical fruit dominates the taste and mouthfeel with elevated.

In closing, it's a world class 'delicate' type of IPA. Way less abrasive than most in the style try to perform. It's a craft, a skill, and commendable to brew an IPA this 'clean'. Considering what I have available locally that is similar, nothing comes close. I would easily have this as a regular brew in my fridge to compliment the more "full flavored" IPAs. Definitely agree with the BA score of 98/100 here

Last edited:
i've had the triple bock when it came in a darker bottle

it has no carbonation - supposed to sip it like desert wine using the top of the bottle as a glass

not exactly a normal beer

Last edited:
Nice pickup on the Utopia Comparison Ford! A spot near me has a bottle but I can't see myself forking over the cash for it. Definitely let us know how it is!

You know.. once you crack it open, itll be flat within a couple days.. Invite NT over for a party

-Carbonation was out of hand almost. Very lively.. Bottled date was February 4th, 2014, so about 4 weeks old.
-Taste on the other hand led more to a mellow delicate mouth feel. I don't want to say watered down, but it definitely surprised me. I mentioned it before with other great beers I've tried.. One does not need to go overboard with flavors and ingredients. Like a great piece of steak, it melts in your mouth. I felt HT and this one today exemplified that. Some would call it complexity.. I on the other hand would want to call it lack of flavor, or the choice to have that lacking. But it's a skill to create a beer this clean.
-Not a hop bomb in any regard. The hops tried to poke through and stick to my mouth, But it didnt really happen..
-About 3/4 of the way through, I got out a elevated ipa to try and compare. Elevated carries through with way more sweetness in the mouthfeel and almost mouth puckering hops. Some sort of tropical fruit dominates the taste and mouthfeel with elevated.

In closing, it's a world class 'delicate' type of IPA. Way less abrasive than most in the style try to perform. It's a craft, a skill, and commendable to brew an IPA this 'clean'. Considering what I have available locally that is similar, nothing comes close. I would easily have this as a regular brew in my fridge to compliment the more "full flavored" IPAs. Definitely agree with the BA score of 98/100 here

Sculpin is one of my faves :smokin

As someone who rates their beers by taste and drinkability, Sculpin is my favorite beer. Period. Perfect session beer. If it didn't cost $15 for a sixer, I'd have it stocked in my fridge all days of the year

I've never seen that much carbonation though(?)

Last edited:

First time trying habanero sculpin. Delicious. It's not too spicy like some people were making it out to be.

Got my score from an NTer that will be easily identified by the haul! :lol:

Cheers, man!

Can't wait to try an Elevated as soon as I get home tonight!

Last edited:
Seriously man...

Obviously. I'm saying where did you find it for purchase? Down here in florida it never hits retail. Usually distros give it to reps who give it to the managers of their best accounts as gifts.

it's not that hard to find in the boston area
the price keeps it on shelves

(if it's da triple bock)

Last edited:

I bought it with money.
Seriously man...

Obviously. I'm saying where did you find it for purchase? Down here in florida it never hits retail. Usually distros give it to reps who give it to the managers of their best accounts as gifts.
Haha sorry for the sarcastic response.  There's a bottle at most beer distributors around my way.

@green rhino123: it's a bottle of Utopias, not triple bock.

@WallyHopp: Utopias is actually uncarbonated and lasts a considerable amount of time after opening the bottle. It has a bottle cap and I'm probably gonna go ahead and crack it open soon then immediately use a rubber cork stopper to keep the air out. Expect a review soon.

On the bright side: empty bottles of Utopias sell for about $50.  Looks like I can make some of my money back if I wanted to. 
laugh.gif
  Probably (definitely) gonna end up keeping the bottle though.  Thing is too dope.

Last edited:
Update: Cracked open the Utopias and poured a 1-2 ounce sampling.  This beer (if you can even call it that) makes me feel some sort of way. Without giving too much away, it's a truly unique experience getting to try some of this.  Write-up coming soon.

My boys have been doing the same. :lol: anyone done it before?

Having this tonight:

It's ok. Probably wouldn't get it again.

we think about how long it would take and how much beer would we get back... is it worth the time and effort?

Doesn't it take 3-4 weeks? Gonna take a lot of patience and I'm sure it's going to take a few attempts to get it where you want.

Without rambling on too much, after $100-$400 of investment for equipment, youll be looking at about $1.05/12 oz. beers, which is about the going rate of many domestic macro brews. Most people brew about 5 gallons at once, the equivalent of about 53 12 oz. bottles.. A typical brew day is about 3-4 hours.. Bottling another two hours.. Between brewing and bottling is about 2-3 weeks. Then you wait for the bottles to carbonate, which is another 2-3 weeks..

Adding in time and equipment, you'd have beers much more costly than $1.04. But I like to think of equipment as stuff that should stay put together for atleast 2-10 years. And this doesnt even discount the fact that the beer may turn out mediocre.

It's definitely seen more as a hobby to me.. We've gotten it down to maybe $0.33/12 oz. bottles brewing much more than 5 gallons at a time, buying most of our ingridients in bulk..

PM me and I can steer you in the right direction based off of past PMs I sent a few others

Last edited:
Today's pickup

Tonight's pour. Maltier than I usually like in my DIPA's but solid beer nonetheless. The sweetness is definitely a nice surprise.

Haha sorry for the sarcastic response.  There's a bottle at most beer distributors around my way.

@green rhino123
: it's a bottle of Utopias, not triple bock.

@WallyHopp
: Utopias is actually uncarbonated and lasts a considerable amount of time after opening the bottle. It has a bottle cap and I'm probably gonna go ahead and crack it open soon then immediately use a rubber cork stopper to keep the air out. Expect a review soon.

On the bright side: empty bottles of Utopias sell for about $50.  Looks like I can make some of my money back if I wanted to. :lol:   Probably (definitely) gonna end up keeping the bottle though.  Thing is too dope.

That was my concern was whether I could hold onto it for some time like I would with a bottle of scotch and pour it every so often. Basically you're suggesting I could if I was to put a cork in it under the lid?

@green rhino123
: it's a bottle of Utopias, not triple bock.

@WallyHopp
: Utopias is actually uncarbonated and lasts a considerable amount of time after opening the bottle. It has a bottle cap and I'm probably gonna go ahead and crack it open soon then immediately use a rubber cork stopper to keep the air out. Expect a review soon.

On the bright side: empty bottles of Utopias sell for about $50.  Looks like I can make some of my money back if I wanted to. :lol:   Probably (definitely) gonna end up keeping the bottle though.  Thing is too dope.

That was my concern was whether I could hold onto it for some time like I would with a bottle of scotch and pour it every so often. Basically you're suggesting I could if I was to put a cork in it under the lid?

I don't think a cork is necessary, but I put one in to be on the safe side. Definitely don't have to drink it all in one shot though.

me and the homies debating about brewing our own beer

Listen to Wally. I reached out to him when me and my friends started. Invaluable info.
We're 2 batches in and it's a lot of fun.
Batch 001:

Pale Ale (Think of a Sierra Nevada, but a bit sweeter)5 gallon batch, got us close to 40 bottles.
This came out awesome. Had people asking for more.

Batch 002:

1 gallon batch. Caribou Slobber from Northern Brewer. A disaster. To brew, bottle, etc. got us about 8 bottles.

-J-

Back
Top Bottom