NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

flying dog is my new favorite brewery ... doggystyle and raging ***** are both crack

My cousin dropped this off the other day:

My very first growler. How fast should you finish the thing?

Look at the top on that thing. Flip top growlers can stay carbonated for a good amount of time.
I've bought a growler on a saturday, drank half and a week and a half later it was just as carbonated.
Screw top on the other hand? Those should be within a few days.

-J-

It was a flip top. Had the growler since Sunday Night, finished it last night. I noticed quite a bit of carbonation lost during last nights pours, but definitely drinkable. So I would say 2-3 days for optimum quality would be good.

BTW, no one answered if they have ever been a part of a BIF (Beer it Forward/Group Trade). It would be pretty dope to get one started here on NT. Anyone here ever been a part of one and can shed some light on how it works and all that?

Time for a review:

Been wanting to try this for about a year now.  Just got shipments of cases in yesterday on Long Island.  This one pours a really nice transparent amber color with a head that's a nice off-white color.  Very pretty beer to look at.  Aroma on this is a generalized sweetness with a piney hop bitterness. Nothing to write home about, but certainly not offensive.  Taste on this is orange rind, some other citrus flavors, a piney/resinous note, and a big caramel malt finish.  Finish on this one kind of reminds me of that of an American Barleywine (Sierra Nevada Bigfoot and Founders Bolt Cutter, to be specific). Pretty drinkable, and I found myself enjoying it a lot more as it warmed up.  Is it worth going crazy over? Definitely not.  Is it a beer worth trying?  Most definitely.  9.2/10

On a somewhat related note: anyone else turned off by 6 packs?  When it comes to craft beer, I always end up feeling like 6'ers are two beers too many. 4 packs FTW.

Last edited:
At the Lagunitas brewery right now. Easily the best tour I've been on. Get the around the world sampler if you go, so much :nthat:

I'm a sucker for the 16 oz 4 packs.. 12 doesnt seem enough anymore.

Coupon of the day:
Cpn-BC-1_02252014-VA--CFW-NC-SC-FL-AZ-CA-NV-NM.jpg

Check fine print for states..

It's been a couple days of fridge cleaning... Yikes... Mediocre beer does exist, and people do buy it.

Around Christmas time, I received a bomber of a Bad Elf Winter Ale, and a Lump of Coal Holiday Stout... The Winter ale tasted below its high 70s BA score. It had a touch of a bitterness I couldnt pinpoint, combined with some yeastiness, and some cloudy witbier type flavors.. It was all over the place.... Second beer was the Lump of Coal holiday stout. It was listed around 8%. I tasted a very sweet, lightly carbonated beer. For me, it was almost too sweet without any sort of hop/biterness balance. It's not like some chocolate stouts that still have quite a nice mouthfeel. This was all sweet.. I don't think it belonged in the 79 BA range.. Those two spoiled my entire night , a couple nights ago.

Both are apparently from the UK. I can't believe a beer of this caliber travels so many miles.
-----------

Yesterday I found a Shiner WIld Pale Ale in my fridge..It says it has hops and aroma.. I found it incredibly mediocre. It seemed more like a blonde ale than a true Pale Ale... Very very lightly hopped. Aroma was kinda ehhh. Sweet but not that hoppy presence that should be there. Drinkable... But like a lot of Shiner beers... just kind of ehhhh

Tonight I had some Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale..... Yikes... This one ages terribly... It's marked 326 3, so late November.. It's technically only 3 months old. But it has quite a bit of a apple cider taste, combined with some piney hops, and some crystal/caramel malt. It's a unique taste. It's not "spit out of your mouth" bad but its kinda EH.

And in the hightlight event

Maybe it's just the phase I'm currently in. But WOW.. I picked up two more 4 picks of this Goose Island Imperial IPA... Nice piney/citrus smell initially. Upon tasting, it's literally 70% malt sweetness taste/ 30% hops. The bitterness is quite subdued in the taste. Very EAST coast IPAish. I am considering this a surprise FAVORITE of 2014 thus far.. I am very VERY surprised at how easy this is to drink. There is a slight non hop type bitterness in the mouthfeel. But the malt sweetness just really balances out the entire drink.. Initially I thought it was similar to a La Cumbre IPA. But from start to finish, LC is way more mango/tropical fruit like.... I don't know if Goose Island will ever gets its due. But at this point in time, who cares. I have found a DIPA that I believe is world class.. And it's fresh. So let the fun times begin!

Last edited:
Drank a Hopslam and a Hi-Res side-by-side just now.  Hopslam wins in the aroma category, but Hi-Res is considerably better in the taste category.  Straight peach/citrus juice.

IMG0028-11.jpg

Just guzzled down this bad boy. Amazing. Seriously.

I've never had a Mikkeller before because paying a dollar an ounce of anything is too much. Decided I'd try this one out because I'm a fan of coffee stouts and cause I got it like that. Ever buried your nose into of a bag of fresh ground french roast coffee beans? That's what this smelled like. Really amazing. Taste is exactly how it smells - strong dark roast coffee, chocolate, malty caramel. I'd drink this all the time if I was balling out of control.

This is better than BCBCS. Yea I said it.

Last edited:
IMG0028-11.jpg

Just guzzled down this bad boy. Amazing. Seriously.

I've never had a Mikkeller before because paying a dollar an ounce of anything is too much. Decided I'd try this one out because I'm a fan of coffee stouts and cause I got it like that. Ever buried your nose into of a bag of fresh ground french roast coffee beans? That's what this smelled like. Really amazing. Taste is exactly how it smells - strong dark roast coffee, chocolate, malty caramel. I'd drink this all the time if I was balling out of control.

This is better than BCBCS. Yea I said it.
Great beer.  Better than BCBCS is a bold claim, but I'd take this over Founder's Breakfast Stout any day of the week if the price was right. Definitely something I wouldn't mind getting my hands on again.

Price is purely why I have not even tried anything Mikkeller.

Not even the cat poop coffee beans would stop me, just purely the price was hard for me to wrap my head around for a single bottle. :lol:

Damnit, just bought two 6pks of Golden Monkey last night from Total Wine and could have used that coupon. Should have checked this thread first... :smh:

Damnit, just bought two 6pks of Golden Monkey last night from Total Wine and could have used that coupon. Should have checked this thread first... :smh:

Or you could sign up on their website, create an account and get coupons emailed to you. :wink:

-J-

Funny you said that cause I actually did it in store last night. It took a $1 off the Tulip glasses I bought...lol

Tried "spring bock" last night...really enjoyed it...perfect time in Houston to break out the spring beers...supposed to be 80 degrees this weekend...

Founders KBS week is just around the corner... Have some friends coming up on the 22nd to indulge with me... Getting online tomorrow to grab my ticket, to buy a couple of 4 packs... This damn city loves its beer and there are so many good breweries that flood this city with them.

Trading off Sucks and Hopslam right now. Saving the last Two Hearted in my fridge for later 
smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom