NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

I've had exactly one sour in my life. It was Russian River's Supplication.

I still remember when I had it. The sourness caught me completely off guard, and took me about half way through to finally get used to it. But after getting used to it, I was able to get all the different notes and started to appreciate it more. I haven't had a sour since though, which may indicate how much I actually like it :lol:..

But I do want to try some more.

Stupid question, but are all sours essentially "the same" ie EXTREMELY SOUR? I sampled a Belgian Sour that was aged in whiskey and bourbon barrels, and man, I just couldn't get down with it. Even at 11%, there was no sweetness cutting into that sourness. I realize they call them sours for a reason. But these saisons, farmhouse ales, and sours are just beers I cant grasp my head around. Yet every time I go to a local brew pub, a new face will ask if they have any sours or wild ales. I probably need to find a way above average sour to compare. But I'm guessing those are sour too.
It's like any other style, really.  Some are more mellow/balanced than others.  I'm not a huge sour fan, but I really enjoyed Russian River Supplication.  The tartness was there, but it also had the sweetness from the cherries and the pinot noir notes which helped level it out.  I've also been holding onto a bottle of this, which I've had once before and was quite enjoyable:

On a related note: anyone with access to Beatification should probably PM me.

...please?

Last edited:
Stupid question, but are all sours essentially "the same" ie EXTREMELY SOUR? I sampled a Belgian Sour that was aged in whiskey and bourbon barrels, and man, I just couldn't get down with it. Even at 11%, there was no sweetness cutting into that sourness. I realize they call them sours for a reason. But these saisons, farmhouse ales, and sours are just beers I cant grasp my head around. Yet every time I go to a local brew pub, a new face will ask if they have any sours or wild ales. I probably need to find a way above average sour to compare. But I'm guessing those are sour too.

I'm a HUGE sour nerd/fan. And not all are the same. Some are more tart, some are more sour, some have some sweetness, etc.

And not all wild beers, farmhouse-style ales and saisons are sour. Many have a funky flavor profile from the wild yeast, some have a spiciness to them, etc.

I've had some sours that were super crazy sour and some that were more fruity or tart or whatever. It all depends on the brewery and the style. A lot of people say Crooked Stave only makes sours when honestly only a handful of their beers are truly sour. But all of their beers have a farmhouse twist and are all world class.

It's the same as any style really (especially IPAs). Try different ones from different breweries and you'll find one you like. I say start with New Belgium La Folie, Le Terroir or Eric's Ale or Russian River's sour line for sours. Go for a Boulevard Saison-Brett or Tank 7 or Crooked Stave Surette or Vieille for saisons. And anything Cantillon for lambics.

Trade bait:
2 days after I get your package right?
laugh.gif

-J-
Find me a bottle of Beatification, Double DBA, or Prairie Bomb! and it's yours haha.

Have you tried duchesse de bourgogne? It was one of the sweetest sours I've had. Give it a shot

Wifey is heading to Vermont on Sunday...making sure she brings an extra suitcase dedicated for my "souvenirs!"

I have been lazy in posting the stouts and dark beers I've been trying ..
I'm no where near as descriptive but here are a few:

Not bad at all but I tried the Original Left Hand Milk stout and that beers is Way more Delicious

LH Milk Stout :pimp: ... tried the Victory imperial stout but it's just ok (the LH Wake up the Dead Nitro is way more flavorful n intense in comparison)

Fat Dog is the best oatmeal stout I've tried (u'll see below) it is truly rich dark and tasteful... like a meal .. too delicious as a beer and can be enjoyed with or without my dinner :lol: . The imperial cream stout is not so good in my opinion...

The Sam smith oatmeal is second to me it is a great pint of beer (thumbs up!) the Wolv is weak in comparison ..IMO

I realize that I don't like chocolate stouts too much but this is one of the best tasting ones to me!

This is also very good but LH still winning :pimp:

This reminded me of Guinness for some reason ... or what a richer Guinness stout should be ... all in all not a bad Porter beer

Right now though I'm stuck on the LH milk stout and fat Dog!!!! :pimp: :pimp:

Find me a bottle of Beatification, Double DBA, or Prairie Bomb! and it's yours haha.
In other words, forget it.
laugh.gif

although, Double DBA will be out in July. You want a bottle?

Someday Heady Topper, someday....

-J-
Of course I want a bottle.  Two would be even better haha.

I love Double DBA.  Definitely prefer it over Parabola and Sucaba.  

When is Stickee Monkee coming out, anyway?

That can of Heady would be nice. Don't have anything of trade value at the moment though.

Last edited:
Appreciate the input on sours.. I guess I'm too cheap to drop some money on a bomber or bottle. I want to try locally where I can just sample a 1/2 oz. or something. But my area just doesn't seem too prone to that genre just yet. It took a brewery visit in 2011 to La Cumbre for them to show me what an IPA can be.. Now I tend to appreciate the style in all its glory. My body is ready. I'm ready to be blown away by another style.

IPA kind of day on pickups.. I'm not sure if I ever properly reviewed Marble's IPA. I got a sixer of that, some more project dank, and an elevated 4 pack (every trip to a beer store DOES result in that purchase).

Not much tradeable on my end. La Cumbre has their 10.6% Father Nelson DIPA releasing monday.. Nelson sauvin hops take center stage. It may be the hop bombiest beer of them all. Dank was a bit up there. But this stuff combines in even more malts to create a stickier thicker beer.. I CAN NOT wait to try..

Last edited:
Decided to go ahead and drink the Heady Topper during the Ranger game. After dogging on the last couple of batches, I think I'm back on the bandwagon.  This batch is exquisite.  #1 beer in the world is still very questionable, but I have no problem calling this the best (somewhat) accessible imperial IPA on the east coast. 

Still wanna try Gandhi Bot, Double Sunshine, and all of Hill Farmstead's IPAs though...

You enjoy it? I frequent the beer hall every so often. Did you try the Spring Thaw? It's their in season seasonal
Yea I enjoyed it. Was a fan of the ale and Rye IPA. But the tour guide was on another level. I did see everyone came there to drink when I was leaving at 6

I really enjoy the Rye IPA as well.

Harpoon IPA was my gateway IPA. Always have a soft spot for it. Nothing screams summer to me than a dozen oysters and am ice cold Harpoon IPA

Sorry local favorite Marble.

Sculpin wins today's battle

First up was a marble Ipa poured into a marble imperial pint glass. 2 cans dated 3/12/14 ( I was near a local beer store and didn't feel like searching for fresher)

6.8 %. In the past I remember this beer having quite a floral bite to it with moderate Caramel malt. Today's batch tasted like a half cousin of elevated. Not sure what changed. I was there less than two weeks ago and had it on draft and caught the large floral element. Today though, the smell was sorta there. In the taste I caught mango and tropical fruits and even a hint of apple. Almost like a cider. Mouthfeel was surprisingly creamy and smooth. Almost like it lost some carbonation.

I think with whatever age, time loss or quality loss happened, it worked in the bees favor. It's a bit subdued like other "great" IPAs are.

My last sculpin jbug lol. Love the stuff

I immediately caught a different type of hop smell. Much more citrus like. Lighter mouthfeel. But it's a crisp carbonated mouthfeel. Very much a world class Ipa. I don't catch a mouthfeel of hops in every drink and that can be a good thing. I thought for a second I was sick again with having a marble Ipa that seemed different. Luckily sculpin reeled me back in. This stuff is stellar.

I want to revisit the marble beer ASAP. Review pt 2 coming soon

Speaking of harpoon. I had some family up in that area who brought back a variety pack. Not one beer we hated. Completely solid Sam Adams like beers

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom