NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

I rarely listen to reps. Store employees may be more akin to recommendations. Although some here like to stick with locals, even though they sorta suck. It's tough out there. I hate getting duds. Usually its a quick Beeradvocate 'score' or rAvg check. I do like finding my own favorites. But its tough. Real tough out there

I rarely listen to reps. Store employees may be more akin to recommendations. Although some here like to stick with locals, even though they sorta suck. It's tough out there. I hate getting duds. Usually its a quick Beeradvocate 'score' or rAvg check. I do like finding my own favorites. But its tough. Real tough out there

My experience as well.

Distributor reps scare me. Imagine going into a car dealership that had all kinds of brands. But the first person you come into contact with is a rep for Toyota. But you didn't really know at the time that he was a rep for just 'one' company. You thought he worked for the dealership as a whole. He'd essentially steer you away from any other brands and or any other deals. Beer reps are the same way.

AB INBEV bought Blue Point last year I believe. 100% owned by the big guys. They are making a push for it to be a national product very soon. That toasted lager is basically that one jump up past Bud Light that has "more flavor".

Kona is a part of the CBA (craft beer alliance, which happens to be 1/3rd owned by AB INBEV). So between Kona, Widmer, and Redhook (there is also Omission and KCCO that act as 'craft' but just take up shelf space really), you really aren't drinking "craft" at all.... If that's your thing. For the most part, these buyouts aren't helping BETTER beer get into more hands. They are cannibalizing the marketplace so they can take it all.

If I heard a rep recommend some lower level stuff that I knew was bad, I would be tempted to tell him to kick rocks. There are so many newcomers to this level of craft beer that many take the beer store rep/workers word is their bond. But it's not.

It's competitive and getting ugly.

For the most part, it's all fun and only beer. Buying duds is a travesty though. I gotta say informed.

And.. not sure if you knew this but GI BCBS allocations are based on regular Goose Island sales. I don't know one person who drinks their 312 line, their honkers ale, or other regular lineups. But that is what ensures your favorite beer store gets the good stuff. So if you ever come across another AB INBEV rep touting Goose Island, it's not because the beer is superior. They have other objectives at hand.

Last edited:
Makes sense. I love trying new beers, but I've been more discerning lately aside from those two AB beers. It makes more and more sense to buy packs over singles especially when you hit around the $3+ mark. I just hate buying packs that even when it got good marks I still end up disliking it. Then I'm stuck with the 3 or 5 left over.

Didn't know that about GI. I guess that's why we didn't get a lot of BCBS down here compared to other regions.

What do you guys think about The Commodore? I started to get a pack tonight but the reviews made it sound just alright.

Last edited:
And.. not sure if you knew this but GI BCBS allocations are based on regular Goose Island sales. I don't know one person who drinks their 312 line, their honkers ale, or other regular lineups. But that is what ensures your favorite beer store gets the good stuff. So if you ever come across another AB INBEV rep touting Goose Island, it's not because the beer is superior. They have other objectives at hand.
The only thing I drink from GI is their 312. It is a pretty solid drinker if I'm looking for a beer like Miller but not Miller, if that makes sense. Otherwise, I've had probably every other beer they brew and none of them are memorable. If you get into their Vintage Ales, it's a bit different but even those, there's only a couple I'd buy if I saw them. I know GI is what is it because of it's BCS but the rest of them is average at best, I think. 

17.5% :x

But I'm gonna have to try it. Can't say no to coffee stouts.

12644844_10153838498954098_7353842408618881943_n.jpg

Maybe I just didn't give it a fair shake, but I had three sips of Tweak last year and poured it down the drain.  Sickly sweet, incredibly boozy, and not much else going on with it.  Felt like a monkey's uncle drain-pouring such an expensive beer, but I wasn't about to suffer through it either.

I'm clearly in the minority when you consider it's rating on BeerAdvocate, but Avery's bigger beers just don't do it for me.

So has anyone had any of these? Every time I see them I always say I'm gonna get one. Every time I don't because they are $29.99. I finally pulled the trigger on the Elijah Criag because that's the one I really wanted to try. Worth it for those who have had it?

Last edited:
I've had a few. Had the High West Bourbon (tangerine wax), the Java (lavender wax), and the Vanilla (ivory wax). All left a lot to be desired.

Still aging my Elijah Craig and High West Rye bottles. Hoping they buck the trend.

i drink Heineken a lot but here in philly a lot of bars are getting into draft beer i never understand what I'm looking at when i see there menu 

i drink Heineken a lot but here in philly a lot of bars are getting into draft beer i never understand what I'm looking at when i see there menu 

I think you mean craft beer. What you can do is check out what they have in their menu and look it up on a site like www.beeradvocate.com to get an idea of what it is and how it taste. Might not be that serious for you but I'm sure you'll find something you like.

For tonight.

Last edited:
Gonna try and get a taste of Pliny the younger this weekend. I've seen the long lines over the past few years and am considering standing on line for some damn beer. Any of you Bay Area guys try it? Is it worth it?

Not worth it if you're going to the brewery in Santa Rosa. Find a lesser known bar that'll get a keg. I personally think it's stupid to wait in line for a beer (especially if you need to be in line for 2+ hours), but that's just me.

Gonna try and get a taste of Pliny the younger this weekend. I've seen the long lines over the past few years and am considering standing on line for some damn beer. Any of you Bay Area guys try it? Is it worth it?

Have yet to try PtY. I'm sure it's good but not worth standing in line for imo. Local bars usually gets a keg but even those will have long lines (for a 6 oz pour).

So has anyone had any of these? Every time I see them I always say I'm gonna get one. Every time I don't because they are $29.99. I finally pulled the trigger on the Elijah Criag because that's the one I really wanted to try. Worth it for those who have had it?

Picked up the Elijah Craig last time I was in Chicago. Was this past August, but a 2014 I think. Very good. Boozy, but balanced.

I've had a few. Had the High West Bourbon (tangerine wax), the Java (lavender wax), and the Vanilla (ivory wax). All left a lot to be desired.

Still aging my Elijah Craig and High West Rye bottles. Hoping they buck the trend.
Those are the 3 I want to try. My spot has the Vanilla, and I think the coffee from 2015?....I'd have to double check. But I rarely see the Elijah so I manned up and snagged it. I've paid $30 for some other stuff but for some reason I had a hard time with this. I do want to age one but I don't think I wanna spend another $30 until I try it so I'll see how this is this weekend. 

Root beer craze is crazy. I count like 8 different brands available now. I have aunts who just love it. Mainly non beer drinkers. Way way way too sweet for me. I have loose bottles rotting away. I'd rather mave shocktop,blue moon, and macro crap.

TW is killing it with these bottle busters and $1off four/six pack coupons.

I had to make a beer run yest. for macro crap for some other family and happened upon these.

Citradelic sitting at $12.50/12 or $7.50/six (I had just bought a 12 pack for $15 last week). No brainer. Stocked up on rebel gf ipa for $6, elevated at $7, and fbs at $8. Bought at any other place, a good $20 more. Probably about 1/3rd in savings this week on select items. It's been awhile since I bought a legit bomber.

Meanwhile macro crap is not on sale. I guess that's bought regardless. This was both quantity and quality. I'm asking two days early. What's everyone's superbowl lineup looking like

Still cant find any Founders Breakfast Stout in San Diego. I know they just started distributing to Cali but haven't had any luck :smh:

When did founders hit your area?
According to them, http://foundersbrewing.com/latest-news/2014/2015-availability-calendar/ fbs is a 3 month seasonal starting in October. Whatever I see now is just left over. Bottled on dates are Octoberish.

Basically if founders just entered your area, fbs may have never been shipped.

It's been within the last few weeks so that probably explains it. They seem to have everything else though so I'm gonna start trying those out. Thanks for info

Back
Top Bottom