NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

had some tangerang from the rare barrel last night.

I've given up on trying to like barleywines :lol:

I HATE barley wines

Last edited:
You guys try any of the Sam Adam's nitro beers? A brewery here in Michigan, Left Hand Brewing Company also has a nitro line out. They got me with the appeal of doing a hard pour and watching the bubbles cascade but I do enjoy nitro beers. Anyone know of any good ones to keep an eye out for?

I saw that for the first time today... What's a nitro beer?...

@Comparison Ford while I think Hopslam might be over hyped and a little over priced it definitely doesn't suck. What other IPA/DIPAs would you prefer?
It's a decent beer, don't get me wrong...I just don't understand how people still consider this beer to be upper-echelon in terms of quality.  It's average at best when you consider all of the competition these days.  Scratching my head as to how this beer is still a 98 on BeerAdvocate.

And do you really want me to name off what IPAs/DIPAs I would prefer?  Careful what you wish for.  We could be here a while. 
laugh.gif

[@=/u/79697/Comparison-Ford]@Comparison Ford[/@] while I think Hopslam might be over hyped and a little over priced it definitely doesn't suck. What other IPA/DIPAs would you prefer?
It's a decent beer, don't get me wrong...I just don't understand how people still consider this beer to be upper-echelon in terms of quality.  It's average at best when you consider all of the competition these days.  Scratching my head as to how this beer is still a 98 on BeerAdvocate.

And do you really want me to name off what IPAs/DIPAs I would prefer?  Careful what you wish for.  We could be here a while. :lol:

I think it's the first time it's been made available here in SD. Might give it a shot if I happen to run into it because I've never had it. Local bottle shop trying to sell it for $4 for each 12oz can :stoneface:

Comparison Ford Comparison Ford

I wasn't trying to call you and I kind of agree wth you. But since we're all beer lovers I'd be interested in some others you feel are better.

Last edited:
@Comparison Ford

I want trying to call you and I kind of agree wth you. But since we're all beer lovers I'd be interested in some others you feel are better.
I honestly think Bell's Two Hearted is a superior beer compared to Hopslam, but if you want a quick sampling...

All Grimm/Other Half/Threes/SingleCut IPAs

Barrier Money/Daddy Warbucks/Suburbs

Heady Topper/Focal Banger

Captain's Daughter

Sip of Sunshine

La Cumbre Elevated/Project Dank

All Treehouse IPAs

G-Bot

All Hill Farmstead IPAS

Cigar City Jai Alai

Pliny

All MBC IPAs

OG Alpine Nelson

Fat Head's Head Hunter

Fresh Lagunitas Sucks/Hop Stoopid

Clearly biased towards East coast-style IPAs though (Hazy, creamy, juicy, tropical/fruity).

I honestly think Bell's Two Hearted is a superior beer compared to Hopslam, but if you want a quick sampling...
All Grimm/Other Half/Threes/SingleCut IPAs
Barrier Money/Daddy Warbucks/Suburbs
Heady Topper/Focal Banger
Captain's Daughter
Sip of Sunshine
La Cumbre Elevated/Project Dank
All Treehouse IPAs
G-Bot
All Hill Farmstead IPAS
Cigar City Jai Alai
Pliny
All MBC IPAs
OG Alpine Nelson
Fat Head's Head Hunter
Fresh Lagunitas Sucks/Hop Stoopid

Clearly biased towards East coast-style IPAs though (Hazy, creamy, juicy, tropical/fruity).

This a nice list! I've had maybe half of these, probably less. Always like to see what other people enjoy...might be what influences a purchase down the line, although I may not be able to get my hands on too many of these in Chicago. And because there's some heavy hitters on here.

Last edited:
Had Hopslam once. Thought it was overly sweet. Like CF mentioned, Two Hearted is where it's at.

Sipping on this tonight. Probably my favorite spiced stout to date. Wish Xoco had this type of mouthfeel.

Had Hopslam once. Thought it was overly sweet. Like CF mentioned, Two Hearted is where it's at.

Sipping on this tonight. Probably my favorite spiced stout to date. Wish Xoco had this type of mouthfeel.

Nice. Any elaboration on the mouthfeel?
nerd.gif
 I loved Xoco, but couldn't justify the price tag on a bottle of Abraxas at the time, something like 20 bucks or so.  I had heard that Abraxas was the beer that Xoco was modeled after during the homebrew competition. Is the price tag on this worth it? 

SNs 4 way IPA pack just came out and most of their stuff is atleast 6 weeks old. I feel I just have to turn off any review perceptors and just drink and enjoy my company.

Been drinking the crap out of New Belgiums Citradelic. It really has that session quality for me. As it gets older, it may lose some of its freshness edge. But for now, I am loving that value. Even Sam Adams Rebel GF ipa is giving me my grapefruit fix, as almost half the cost. BP can suck it.
----------
Someone mentioned Shiner. Yeah, they are pretty average. My pops still enjoys their variety pack. Definitely that Sam Adams of Texas. The bock, which I thought had too much flavor (its just malt pretty much) is quite sessionable as well. Ruby Red GF is just okay. Strawberry blonde is basically strawberry soda. They all really seem more like beers you just chug or drink on a value.

I had some SA hopology beers from Christmas I'm finishing off. I can't really give any of them positive nods in the direction of a rebuy.
----------

From a page back, someone asked about Nitro beers. Basically beer is carbonated with co2 gas. Most beer that is. Guinness, if you have ever noticed at restaurants etc. has a different looking handle. This is essentially beer gas, a 75-25 co2 to nitrogen gas blend. It gives beers less of a carbonated bite, and more of a creamy taste. Just in the past few years, companies have been able to bottle that. European beers like Boddingtons or Youngs Double (including GUinness) has a little widget in their cans to emulate that creamier flavor.

I saw a Nitro IPA this past week at TW and just assumed it was Guinness'. I had no idea Sam Adams had a 3-5 beer line of that crap. I need carbonation for the most part, unless its a stout, or a really fresh IPA on cask. Otherwise, it just tastes like you left a beer uncovered for days
---

A FBS/xoco blend is all I need to increase that mouthfeel. Down to 20 bottles of each:smh:

Last edited:
For the FBS/Xoco belnd, what ratio of each are you using? Got some of both and want try this.
Also, FYI, City of the Dead from Modern Times is now a year round beer. I loved that beer so it's exciting for me.

Last edited:

2016 Hopslam tasting notes: "this beer sucks."
Damn was looking forward to trying it. Did you or do you plan on attempting getting your hands on any of the Grimm that is dropping?
Yeah...I heard it's coming Tuesday out on Long Island.  I'll be looking to snag a few cans/bottles when I get out of work.
Okay so maybe I lied.  Snagged a can today:

This is a step above Cloudbusting, but still on the lower end of the Grimm IPA totem pole.  That's not really saying much though, especially when you consider how high they set the bar with Tesseract and Afterimage.  Still a great beer. 

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom