NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

I'm sorta beyond the chase.

Local places opening up everywhere. Maybe it's just that frugal consumer side of me popping in. But I have no true desires to try new places who haven't proven themselves. Just finished my 2nd or 3rd 6 pack of rebel gf ipa [I haven't bought multiple SA sixers since I turned 21). I guess I'm caught in a price rut. But at the same time, I don't feel I'm missing out.

I'm okay on an income front. But it's starting to feel less worth it. I guess we all work in waves. Well see how I work this 1 out
A lot of your posts are sounding like me. Not sure if it's the "new year" or what, but I haven't had much motivation to hunt or find anything new. There are quiet a few new local breweries popping up around here. One has a beer called Maui Trickster which is a coconut/chocolate based beer this is fantastic (similar to death by coconut). But I have quiet a few in my area that make fantastic local brews. I feel like price vs time vs the actual beer just getting old. I've been going hard at this since about 2009 or so and I've had so much different/expensive beer, I think the novelty is just wearing off. I have so many good local options, I've by default just have been taking a break. As I said, if I have a good chance to grab something I haven't had, I'll try but otherwise I'm okay passing lately. 

Last edited:
Forgot to stop by and mention that I was able to grab a few glasses of Pliny The Younger on Tuesday at the Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa, CA.

It's a yearly thing my friends and I do, line up and wait in line to drink one of the best beers in the world.It's crazy how far people travel to drink it. Lots of interesting cats in that line.

Here's an article for those that aren't familiar with the release:

http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Want-Pliny-the-Younger-This-year-you-won-t-6775748.php

They are also pretty well known for their sours, something that I haven't really been into until I had their Consecration sour last year. This year we were pimped their Compunction, which is brewed with Pluots, and it was the surprise of the visit. Look at the reviews on the page. That stuff was amazing.

Forgot to stop by and mention that I was able to grab a few glasses of Pliny The Younger on Tuesday at the Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa, CA.

It's a yearly thing my friends and I do, line up and wait in line to drink one of the best beers in the world.It's crazy how far people travel to drink it. Lots of interesting cats in that line.

Here's an article for those that aren't familiar with the release:

http://www.sfgate.com/food/article/Want-Pliny-the-Younger-This-year-you-won-t-6775748.php

They are also pretty well known for their sours, something that I haven't really been into until I had their Consecration sour last year. This year we were pimped their Compunction, which is brewed with Pluots, and it was the surprise of the visit. Look at the reviews on the page. That stuff was amazing.

YES! I'm eagerly awaiting for its arrival in Philadelphia. I'm told the first week of March. I haven't it yet, but I've had the following:

Pliny the Elder
Blind Pig
Damnation
Conscecration
Supplication

I have a Sanctification en route to me right now...should arrive tomorrow. I'm not sure how close you are to Russian River, but if you are ever interested in doing some beer swaps, I would love to trade some beers for some more Pliny the Elder, which I'm told is almost always available at the RR brewery.

This past week.

Going to Rochester for work in a couple of weeks. I plan to stop by their brewery and try it.

Hey, how was this Elysian beer? I just saw it for the first time this past Saturday, but I didn't buy it. The BA score wasn't impressive, although truthfully, BA scores don't mean much. I didn't realize it was a sour. Worth it? Or did I do the right thing by passing?

YES! I'm eagerly awaiting for its arrival in Philadelphia. I'm told the first week of March. I haven't it yet, but I've had the following:

Pliny the Elder
Blind Pig
Damnation
Conscecration
Supplication

I have a Sanctification en route to me right now...should arrive tomorrow. I'm not sure how close you are to Russian River, but if you are ever interested in doing some beer swaps, I would love to trade some beers for some more Pliny the Elder, which I'm told is almost always available at the RR brewery.

It's a little over an hour away from me, so getting there is sometimes a chore. The beauty is that whenever I take friends out that way, the Lagunitas Brewery is on the way home, so we usually stop by there was well. Tell you what: next time I know I'm heading up, I'll hit you up and see if you're interested. They always have The Elder for sure.

There are a ton of local breweries around here. I have one small place called Napa Smith, about 500 yards from my office here in Napa. Really small spot with no food, but the beer is pretty damn solid. It's the brew pub I frequent the most because of it's location, so being able to see the year round cycle for a brewery, and getting to taste their seasonals and what not is a really easy way to really get into the intricacies of beer. Their brewmasters are always just hanging out, too, so getting to talk to them and see them get super excited about what's coming up gives a lot of insight into what goes into the beer.

I just found out that Heretic, a small brewery that has bottles all over the area, is in the next town over from mine, so I'm planning on heading out there soon, probably as soon as this weekend. I'll let you know what I find.

I'm sorta beyond the chase.

Local places opening up everywhere. Maybe it's just that frugal consumer side of me popping in. But I have no true desires to try new places who haven't proven themselves. Just finished my 2nd or 3rd 6 pack of rebel gf ipa [I haven't bought multiple SA sixers since I turned 21). I guess I'm caught in a price rut. But at the same time, I don't feel I'm missing out.

I'm okay on an income front. But it's starting to feel less worth it. I guess we all work in waves. Well see how I work this 1 out

A lot of your posts are sounding like me. Not sure if it's the "new year" or what, but I haven't had much motivation to hunt or find anything new. There are quiet a few new local breweries popping up around here. One has a beer called Maui Trickster which is a coconut/chocolate based beer this is fantastic (similar to death by coconut). But I have quiet a few in my area that make fantastic local brews. I feel like price vs time vs the actual beer just getting old. I've been going hard at this since about 2009 or so and I've had so much different/expensive beer, I think the novelty is just wearing off. I have so many good local options, I've by default just have been taking a break. As I said, if I have a good chance to grab something I haven't had, I'll try but otherwise I'm okay passing lately. 

It feels like a hobby rut of some sort. I bought into sports cards growing up. Then it was shoes for awhile. Then hats. Then RC cars. Then you come back to some stuff. Beer was in there at some point. I feel I don't need to try any or ALL new beers or breweries that come out. I've had some great stuff from all over the world. What sucks is that my family, cousins, and such are finally getting into the local beer scene (just as I'm getting burnt out). It took them over 5 years, and of no doing of my own ( i would always have something new or different at family parties). Now their eyes are open wide and they were how I was 5 years back, but with 5 times the amount of choices.. At times I sorta wish I was born 5 years later lol. I guess a part of me says it also becomes about the buzz moreso than the perceived flavors. I don't think people want to admit it, but after just 2 beers, I notice flavors change drastically. Half the people on Untappd have 5+ check ins a day. Trying 5 world class offerings is just a cover for many to catch a "high class" buzz. I'm not too judgey so I'll just watch this one play out mostly as a 6th man. I did hit up 4 breweries last weekend and had fun. So I'm not totally unjudgeable. Every place I want to go to now, even newer breweries, are so frickin packed. I' don't breathe our earthly air to use it to wait. Even restaurants and such. Lines and crowds suck.

and with that I probably aged mysely 15 years into a whole new category.

RE: Citradelic. It's definitely a PA at heart. I catch almost no bitterness or hops. It just has a tangerine freshness. I guess combined with its $12.50/12 pack price, and 6% abv, its easy to see as a session beer

Finally got my hands on the Cappuccino Stout. Interested to try the Terrapin too (4 different coffees).

Had Sunday Morning Stout on draft today

As much as its compared to KBS, I feel the need to say that I definitely like KBS better

A group of 100 "friends" (people who know one another from a Facebook group) rented out the Centennial Room at Founders tonight. Amazing service, as always; Blushing Monk, Backwoods Bastard, and Project Pam as "special" kegs. Great time with no major incidents. m

I've been lucky enough that I've been able to go to Grand Rapids 2-3 times a year the last couple of years for business. GR (hell, Western Michigan) is beautiful country. All the guys that work out there know that when I'm in town, we're hitting Founders and Brewery Vivant. Anything else open up out there lately? My old boss swears by Railtown...
Drinking a KBS with a nice cigar on a dock on the Thornapple River was a highlight of one of my last trips.

jbug88 jbug88 - how is Railtown? I've never been. Newest discovery there for me is White Flame. Won the lottery to purchase bottles of their anniversary stout and stopped by the brewery. Pretty good beer, but nothing tops the food/drink/atmosphere of Vivant or Founders.

Revolution Straight Jacket....solid but seemed a lot more sweet than I'm used too.

This is okay, pretty wine-y and sour.

This isn't a bad Barleywine; has a bit of hops I don't care for but not bad.

I've been lucky enough that I've been able to go to Grand Rapids 2-3 times a year the last couple of years for business. GR (hell, Western Michigan) is beautiful country. All the guys that work out there know that when I'm in town, we're hitting Founders and Brewery Vivant. Anything else open up out there lately? My old boss swears by Railtown...
Drinking a KBS with a nice cigar on a dock on the Thornapple River was a highlight of one of my last trips.

You've never been to Perrin, Saugatuck brewing, or Oddside?

Last edited:
Hey, how was this Elysian beer? I just saw it for the first time this past Saturday, but I didn't buy it. The BA score wasn't impressive, although truthfully, BA scores don't mean much. I didn't realize it was a sour. Worth it? Or did I do the right thing by passing?

Elysian has some good stuff overall, but this beer was buns.

Back
Top Bottom