NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

easy drinking pilsner, a little more hoppy than most

I can't be the only one

Went by a local grocery store yesterday. Firestone Walker just hit my state for the first time ever back in mid 2016. I guess sales weren't as great as they had hoped and this particular store had Easy Jack cans and Union Jack bottles in a clearance bin cart. I knew that pretty much meant that they were old/expired. For >50% off their current price of $11, how could anyone say no to $5/sixers of union jack?

it's maltier, and sweeter, with almost no hop aroma or such. But as a beer company, they make some pretty solid beers. So even if its all malts, the flavors are very clean.

let's just say I'll be budget drinking this weekend.

The only expired part of the beer is probably the hops. It has turned into more of a red ale, or a bitter,yet sweet malt east coast IPA.

With the addition of so many new breweries distributing to various states, I hope for the days that expired beer becomes a norm, because it's really not so BAD.

Very interesting. It would be rather easy for me to test this. Hell, the supermarket nearby still has 2015 NB Ben & Jerrys. How does alcohol content affect hops as it ages?

Last edited:
What are you looking for? For the most convenience Craft Beer Cellar's and Whole Foods have most local beers. Trillium does cans in Boston and they usually are not that busy if you go at off times. 

I did a little research at work today

Craft beer cellar looks good but it looks like it may be worth while to drive a little north of Boston to go to Redstone Liquors

Very interesting. It would be rather easy for me to test this. Hell, the supermarket nearby still has 2015 NB Ben & Jerrys. How does alcohol content affect hops as it ages?

Hops are used in two forms, Bittering, and Aroma. If we are strictly looking at IPAs that are say 6% and 10%, if they both had the same amount of hops across the board, the hops would degrade at the same time. There is nothing in the alcohol alone that will make it degrade any faster or slower.

Now where it is different is that most higher ABV beers tend to be sweeter initially, so they may use a bit more hops and malts. In theory they could have a bit more shelf life than a lower ABV beer that uses less hops. It's all about perceived balance of flavors. It's why I bought the Union Jack @ 7.5% instead of the Easy Jack @4.5%. I would rather have had balance going towards too sweet than too bland.

Stouts and other beers are a whole different beast. I personally do not focus on the bottled on/best by dates of non hoppy beers. And unless it has adjuncts like coffee or coconut, or vanilla, the longevity of those beers can go for at least 9 months IMHO.

IBUs do change over time, but that can take years. It's why your big imperial stouts (some having in excess of 80 IBUs) are cellared and kept away for years. It's a tricky game now with so many choices and so many beers sitting. I tend to try to not let anything below 7% go beyond 7 months of age. That's just my mental stopping point.

Last edited:
I did a little research at work today

Craft beer cellar looks good but it looks like it may be worth while to drive a little north of Boston to go to Redstone Liquors
Just seeing your post. Redstone and Rapid in Stoneham are my local stores both have a great selection. Around the Sullivan area I would def go Slumbrew, Nightshift, Lord Hobo, Aeronaut, and Bone Up. 

New beer from lic beer project called cannons, another good hazy brew but what really stands out is the mix of hops creating a unique lingering flavor on the back end

Usually collaborations are brewed at one brewery with insight from a guest brewer but dont actually use any ingredients from the brewery the guest came from, this is the first time I have seen a beer created at one brewery and sold at another, I guess its because LIC and sand city are close enough to send cans to each other, even noticed my case holder was from sand city

Last edited:
Surly dropped a beer called "Thanks Obama". If anyone gets it, I'd love to know how it is. 

Surly 
nthat.gif

How long before NY enters the ranks of SD, Denver, PDX/Bend?
In terms of variety and quality? NY has far surpassed them.  

NY is competing with Vermont and Massachusetts.  SD, Denver, and Oregon aren't even in the conversation at this point.

Interesting. Last time I was in NYC (about 2009), it was only Brooklyn Brewery around.
NY blew up in the past 18 months.  Other Half, Grimm, LIC Beer Project, Sand City, Interboro, Suarez Family, Singlecut, Barrier, Threes (and a bunch that I'm missing as I rifle through this list) are producing beers that can compete with Treehouse and Trillium.  I used to avoid local beers when I first got into craft because they flat-out weren't good, now I don't waste my time on most beers that see mass distribution.  I would have never forecasted the beer scene being as robust as it is today, but it has far exceeded my expectations and it doesn't look like it's slowing down any time soon.

Last edited:
^I stick mostly local wherever I'm at too.

In MN I'm drinking Surly. In FL it's Cigar City. In GA is 3 Taverns and Creature Comforts. Sprinkle in Bells and Founders and I'm all set. 

I'm getlitquik on untappd

Anyone else in here from Canada? 
nerd.gif

Don't have access to some of the stuff you guys have in the US

Wasn't expecting to like this so much, really bright and sharp flavors that give a bite, every sip taste as flavorful as the last

Had another interboro bring the noise and I changed my opinion of it, way too syrupy, made me feel crappy

I only drink IPAs. Try to try all the locals wherever im at. The hoppier, the better. My favorite so far

Indigenous to PA, southern nj by neshaminy creek brewery. Delicious.

I don't know that Denver and Colorado should be forgotten. I was out there this fall and there's some of everything. Big micros like Epic and Great Divide along with numerous smaller breweries that are putting out quality stuff. NY is definitely great but it's very IPA driven. Denver quality has IPA, stouts, BA offerings and sours.

Back
Top Bottom