NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Just read that AB INBEV has stopped the sale of all remaining South African hops to all indepenedent breweries.

Basically what used to be owned by Sab Miller was excess hops and excess hop contracts to pretty much all American small breweries. But since AB INBEV bought SAB Miller, they pretty much said, screw that noise. So all walks of life, from Modern Times to Alvarado Street brewery are stating their displeasure.

Pretty much, AB INBEV wants to hoard the specialty hops that used to be sold on the secondary market.

There is now NO secondary market for anyone.. Everything goes to the High End brands of AB INBEV.... Which means, the flavorful aroma hops will go exclusively to the AB INBEV owned "craft" breweries" as the other guys pay excessively for the same hop varieties... How can one honestly compete paying some 2x on the same type of IPA brewed by Wicked Weed or local brewery XYZ.

wow. just looked up some of the brands they own. will probably stop buying those, which sucks cause i am a fan of Elysian.

Just read that AB INBEV has stopped the sale of all remaining South African hops to all indepenedent breweries.

Basically what used to be owned by Sab Miller was excess hops and excess hop contracts to pretty much all American small breweries. But since AB INBEV bought SAB Miller, they pretty much said, screw that noise. So all walks of life, from Modern Times to Alvarado Street brewery are stating their displeasure.

Pretty much, AB INBEV wants to hoard the specialty hops that used to be sold on the secondary market.

There is now NO secondary market for anyone.. Everything goes to the High End brands of AB INBEV.... Which means, the flavorful aroma hops will go exclusively to the AB INBEV owned "craft" breweries" as the other guys pay excessively for the same hop varieties... How can one honestly compete paying some 2x on the same type of IPA brewed by Wicked Weed or local brewery XYZ.

Wow, what a d*ck move! Guess I shouldn't be too surprised. These guys are in it for the money at the end of the day. Really unfortunate though.

Here's a really great article explaining this from a good friend of mine who is the co-founder & Editorial Director of Craft Beer & Brewing Magazine (which if you don't read it, you should...best beer mag on the market)...

It gets really in-depth and is pretty illuminating.

https://beerandbrewing.com/killing-...sale-of-south-african-hops-to-american-craft/

So good. I love that hazy orange color.

Wait, so they're gonna be holding out on Citra?

????!???!?!!!??
Wars have been fought over less.

????!???!?!!!??
No. Citra is a proprietary hop owned by one of the Yakima Valley hop growers.

This is all South African hops, like Southern Passion, Southern Aroma and Southern Star.
Sucks...Other Half has been doing a lot of great beers with South African hops as of late (Other Southern, Green Down to the Socks, the new MikkellerSD collab, etc.).  While they're not my favorite types of hops, I love their unique flavors.  I was always ambivalent towards the AB-InBev buyouts, but this is starting to hit close to home.

Last edited:

????!???!?!!!??

Square up bro

Sucks...Other Half has been doing a lot of great beers with South African hops as of late (Other Southern, Green Down to the Socks, the new MikkellerSD collab, etc.).  While they're not my favorite types of hops, I love their unique flavors.  I was always ambivalent towards the AB-InBev buyouts, but this is starting to hit close to home.

Damb, I ain't eem hear about the collab of OH and Mikkeller SD. Hopefully OH comes down to Mikkeller SD to brew. Still haven't had the opportunity to try any of their stuff.

Last edited:

????!???!?!!!??

No. Citra is a proprietary hop owned by one of the Yakima Valley hop growers.

This is all South African hops, like Southern Passion, Southern Aroma and Southern Star.

Had to re-read this passage from that article:

Losing small foreign varietals is something American brewers could recover from. Losing in-demand hops such as Citra[emoji]8482[/emoji] or Mosaic[emoji]8482[/emoji] could destroy the momentum behind the entire craft-beer category.

So he's basically saying that losing the South African varietals doesn't really change the landscape much. Whereas, theoretically, if we were to lose Citra or Mosaic, it'd be back-breaking for the industry.

Same here...WeldWerks in Greeley, CO had a few beers slated for these hops. And those guys are turning out some seriously great stuff. I hate to see them have to not make something.

If y'all ever have the chance to trade for crowlers of their Juicy Bits, Fruity Bits, Alpha Bits (all NE style) or Achromatic (imperial stout series), DO IT.

Interesting. Although I'm on a bit of a break tasting wise, I'm still checking out new releases etc.

Saw this get posted

There is no realm where I would ever drop that much on beer. That amounts to a $18/bomber. The only thing priced higher than that are some sours

10 Barrel finally made its way to my state. Two crushable Berliner W. kettle sours in cans.. Super tempting give solid reviews. AB INBEV isnt stupid in regards to their own brands competing against each other.. They are creating a niche for each specialty brewery they buy up. Elysian started with just Space Dust, and now I'm seeing a couple of others. Both are actually priced just a touch below BP. If anything these buyouts are not rendering any sort of better prices. Local or regional options are some $2-4 cheaper than Elysian, and even DFH. The novelty affect is wearing thin imho.

The shelf space tap fight is all too real. Speak with your wallets

Last edited:
Same here...WeldWerks in Greeley, CO had a few beers slated for these hops. And those guys are turning out some seriously great stuff. I hate to see them have to not make something.

If y'all ever have the chance to trade for crowlers of their Juicy Bits, Fruity Bits, Alpha Bits (all NE style) or Achromatic (imperial stout series), DO IT.
A friend shared some crowlers with me from weldworks, distinctly remember alpha bits being the stand out, there was another IPA from them im forgetting the name of that was great as well

A friend shared some crowlers with me from weldworks, distinctly remember alpha bits being the stand out, there was another IPA from them im forgetting the name of that was great as well

Nice! It was probably Juicy Bits that was the other IPA I would guess...that's their flagship. It's always, always flawless.

They're turning out my favorite beers in all of Colorado right now, which is saying a lot with Crooked Stave, TRVE, Black Project & Ratio Beerworks.

been watching beer land on vice land past couple weeks...pretty interesting stuff

this dude from new york was brewing his beer with this log he found in a park...crazy stuff...

never heard of her or her beer...but its cool seeing home brewers and some of the ingredients they choose to brew with...

Watching her talk makes me cringe. I'm heading back to NY for Memorial Day weekend, hopefully there are some good can releases at that time.

^My boy showed me that vice show, the chick introduces herself as the owner of some brewery that looks like they make **** beer, stopped watching after that

It's Golden Road, a brewery that grew so fast in the LA area, that it was pretty much set up and built off of millions, in order to gain quick traction and then of course be sold to AB INBEV.

yeah, she was in my home state. Not really fond of the whole situation to be honest. Casts some questionable light on things all around

It just sucks. For most of the unknown people who occasionally shop for beer, or the out of the know bar owner who sees a great deal on kegs (AB INBEV is known to undercut some 2x more than competitor "local" breweries with the cavet that the bars can still charge "craft" beer prices), there is simply no competing with this global giant. They can sell their whole "USA" based lineup to unsuspecting people and overtake all of a bars taps instantly. They may give one or two to "local" favorites true and true, but what used to be 10-12 regional or local, is now AB INBEV owned "local".

I know many were saying St. Archer out of SD was built from the onset to be bought out. Owned and funded by many athletes and celebrities, I guess there is room for those that want to take advantage of this growing genre. While others really and truly care about the craft.. I guess its up to us to do the detective work

Back
Top Bottom