NT :What can you tell me about Columbia in NYC?

dacomeup

Supporter
I'm from Cincinnati and this is seriously my dream school. It sounds like I'm going to be accepted there and I'm being considered for the academicsuccess program which would in essence give me a full ride to the school if I'm accepted into this program. Does anyone know anything about this program?But, it would be greatly appreciated if people could tell me more about the school and what not. Likes and dislikes? Stuff to do on campus , but I know NYC isso big that there is tons of stuff to do around the city.

I have a lot of friends up there.

Pluses: great school. In NYC

Minuses: lame kids, no campus, lame social scene at school, core curriculum can be a pain in the @#+, could be in a better spot (it's way uptown)

Of course, its academic standing pretty much outweighs any negatives in most people's books. I didn't apply, it didn't appeal to me all that much.

Congratulations if you get accepted. I've taken a summer program there once and it was pretty grueling, but fun.
Stuff that I liked:
Accessibility to resources
All it takes is a metrocard to get around in the city
Selection fo food outside of campus
Barnard girls
laugh.gif

Stuff that I didn't like:
Cafeteria food, ended up eat at Familiglia's every day and that other pizza place. Huge slices for 2 bucks, heard it went up though.
Tight scheduele between classes, but this was a physics program for high school students, I don't know if it applies to regular classes.

Other than that, Columbia's a great school and even better on a full ride. Good luck!

It sounds like I'm going to be accepted there
um, either you are or you aren't, not sure where that came from. If you are, congrats and do it. You'd be a fool not to. I just know onekid from our med school who went there and he liked it a lot. Nothing will ever be perfect though, keep that in mind. I visited a friend there earlier thisyear but she's a first year law student, so I couldnt' really tell you what it's like for undergrads.

Originally Posted by curt2121

It sounds like I'm going to be accepted there
um, either you are or you aren't, not sure where that came from. If you are, congrats and do it. You'd be a fool not to. I just know one kid from our med school who went there and he liked it a lot. Nothing will ever be perfect though, keep that in mind. I visited a friend there earlier this year but she's a first year law student, so I couldnt' really tell you what it's like for undergrads.

Well a representative from the school contacted me today about possibly entering that program, but I haven't received a letter of acceptance or anyother form of notification. That's why I said it sounds like I'm going to be accepted. Thanks for the input though.

Originally Posted by ****oo2323

A lot of people are turn off from that school because of required classes like PE.

PE should be required through all school imo. It's not required at UT-Austin (it used to be a long time ago), but those classes are ultra fun and wellworth it. I wish I had known about them sooner. If you are getting a full-ride or close to it, then If I were you, I'd book my ticket today!

They DO have a campus.... PLUS NYC. I've been to 2 parties there since January, and they were pretty good. That's all I know.

i use to go up to that school all the time for parties. seriously.

them nerds go hard.

then wed hit 125th in the mornin copp some kicks from ATMOS or suttin.

My brother went there for his sophmore year but then left for financial purposes to swarthmore...when i went to visit him at colombia it looked prettycool...but swarthmore aint that bad either just very far away from NJ and it looks like 1900s building looks old as hell.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

I'm from Cincinnati and this is seriously my dream school. It sounds like I'm going to be accepted there and I'm being considered for the academic success program which would in essence give me a full ride to the school if I'm accepted into this program. Does anyone know anything about this program? But, it would be greatly appreciated if people could tell me more about the school and what not. Likes and dislikes? Stuff to do on campus , but I know NYC is so big that there is tons of stuff to do around the city.
btw.

props if you get accepted and props if you get a full ride.............i mean seriously. You must be like number 1 in your class and have other things cuzyea........they dont give out full rides to 40k+ year ivy league school like that IN NYC i might add. Man there is plenty to do around there man.

I know I am pulling my hair out trying to get into MBA grad school.

Congrats if everything pulls through for you.

depends what you're looking for in a school. Like everyone said, it's way uptown away from what i would consider the main manhattan scene - but toreiterate, all it takes is a metro card to get where you wanna get.

the people I've met are okay. Not the crazy cliche college kids compared to big universities where I've visited in the past.

Campus is very nice, but obviously its a city school, so the amount of space is limited

anddd you already know academics are top notch!

Personally I'm not really a city-school kind of person no matter how esteemed a university is - along with the fact that I would have been broke a longtime ago if I lived in manhattan for college.

If you get accepted, definitely go. I don't know much about the school other than its a really good school, but there's a lot to do in NYC.

Originally Posted by lurkin2long

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

I'm from Cincinnati and this is seriously my dream school. It sounds like I'm going to be accepted there and I'm being considered for the academic success program which would in essence give me a full ride to the school if I'm accepted into this program. Does anyone know anything about this program? But, it would be greatly appreciated if people could tell me more about the school and what not. Likes and dislikes? Stuff to do on campus , but I know NYC is so big that there is tons of stuff to do around the city.
btw.

props if you get accepted and props if you get a full ride.............i mean seriously. You must be like number 1 in your class and have other things cuz yea........they dont give out full rides to 40k+ year ivy league school like that IN NYC i might add. Man there is plenty to do around there man.
I know, I'm seriously in shock. I'm in the top 5% of my high school class and I take a bunch of IB and AP classes. I wouldn't exactly saythat I'm genius or anything though. Some alumni with strong connections are heloping me out big time though.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom