NT'ers w/ locks, explain to me the journey of locks...

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by Executive76

locks > waves

/thread
laugh.gif
chill....

When chicks starting coming up to asking if they can cut your hair for free then come back and talk to me
wink.gif

Originally Posted by 2LipsLegit

Originally Posted by JuJu

thats not a myth.

think about it... corporations try to market all types of dumb %+$# you dont need - hair locks naturally if you dont use all these wonderful modern shampoos that are designed to stop hair from locking. Corporations, instead of telling you to not use these shampoos, want to sell you something so they get some dumb %+# wax and tell you to put it in your hair permanently just to hold the unnaturally smooth hair together.

stop using these shampoos and conditioners and your hair will lock naturally
do not listen to this dude on  his holy quest against the corporations. BLACK hair locks naturally yes, i started my dreads when my big !** afro started locking on its own cause i never picked it ever. but even i and THOUSANDS of other black people use wax. this dude is crazy talking about just stop using shampoos and conditioners and your hair will lock naturally. the wax is what allows you to form them the size and or fatness you want even if you hair can lock naturally you'll end up looking like MURS. wax is not permanent cause its bees wax you take too many hot showers and you can literally feel it melting out of your hair. thats why you do under a dryer after a retwist to melt the wax enough to let the hair stick long enough to knot up and then the wax WILL disipate over time cause its a biodegradable product that can't last forever... do not listen to this cat and just do some research and you will see he is completely wrong. 
roll.gif

http://www.dreadlockssite...ure-thinking-about-using

what are you talking bout...my locks are past my shoulders and they are very strong at the roots, and i started mines with wax. there is no signs of wax and my locked perfectly.

thats not a myth.

think about it... corporations try to market all types of dumb %+$# you dont need - hair locks naturally if you dont use all these wonderful modern shampoos that are designed to stop hair from locking. Corporations, instead of telling you to not use these shampoos, want to sell you something so they get some dumb %+# wax and tell you to put it in your hair permanently just to hold the unnaturally smooth hair together.

stop using these shampoos and conditioners and your hair will lock naturally
do not listen to this dude on  his holy quest against the corporations. BLACK hair locks naturally yes, i started my dreads when my big !** afro started locking on its own cause i never picked it ever. but even i and THOUSANDS of other black people use wax. this dude is crazy talking about just stop using shampoos and conditioners and your hair will lock naturally. the wax is what allows you to form them the size and or fatness you want even if you hair can lock naturally you'll end up looking like MURS. wax is not permanent cause its bees wax you take too many hot showers and you can literally feel it melting out of your hair. thats why you do under a dryer after a retwist to melt the wax enough to let the hair stick long enough to knot up and then the wax WILL disipate over time cause its a biodegradable product that can't last forever... do not listen to this cat and just do some research and you will see he is completely wrong. 
roll.gif

what are you talking bout...my locks are past my shoulders and they are very strong at the roots, and i started mines with wax. there is no signs of wax and my locked perfectly.

How often should you wash them in the beginning stages? I'm 2 months in and I washed them before i went to get retwisted last week and they were coming apart.

How often should you wash them in the beginning stages? I'm 2 months in and I washed them before i went to get retwisted last week and they were coming apart.

Originally Posted by Put em up

roll.gif

most salons tend to use a product that has wax as it's main component and i dont stop them from using it but black hair can lock without wax. water makes black hair lock there are loc creams that dont have wax in it that people use.

Originally Posted by Put em up

roll.gif

most salons tend to use a product that has wax as it's main component and i dont stop them from using it but black hair can lock without wax. water makes black hair lock there are loc creams that dont have wax in it that people use.

locks > waves

/thread
laugh.gif
chill....

When chicks starting coming up to asking if they can cut your hair for free then come back and talk to me
wink.gif

Word.. Shorty that I'm currently involved w/ twist a n up for free... Females out here love dreads.. I live in Charlotte.. Go to school at WSSU.. By the way... Don't get corn rows or braids.. Lol.. You'll look like a CLOWN.. if u gonna get dreads get dreads from start to finish..

locks > waves

/thread
laugh.gif
chill....

wink.gif

Word.. Shorty that I'm currently involved w/ twist a n up for free... Females out here love dreads.. I live in Charlotte.. Go to school at WSSU.. By the way... Don't get corn rows or braids.. Lol.. You'll look like a CLOWN.. if u gonna get dreads get dreads from start to finish..

Originally Posted by krider31

laugh.gif
chill....

wink.gif

that's a lie

Originally Posted by krider31

laugh.gif
chill....

wink.gif

that's a lie

It'll be 4.5 years since my last haircut next month. Like everyone else said, the first few months are the toughest. Patience is definitely a virtue early on. After that stage you will love it. I have the skinnier locks and I'm always getting compliments on them (although that may be because I keep them neat/clean). The only real complaint I have is that my head is too big for fitteds now 
mad.gif
... I have started to get bored with it though. I'm graduating from college in December which coincides with my 5 year anniversary and I'm thinking about cutting it then but I'm sure I'll punk out.
Pics:

When they were first twisted:

396949952.jpg

396949951.jpg

One and a one half years in:

396949949.jpg

Now:

396949948.jpg

396949947.jpg

396949950.jpg

It'll be 4.5 years since my last haircut next month. Like everyone else said, the first few months are the toughest. Patience is definitely a virtue early on. After that stage you will love it. I have the skinnier locks and I'm always getting compliments on them (although that may be because I keep them neat/clean). The only real complaint I have is that my head is too big for fitteds now 
mad.gif
... I have started to get bored with it though. I'm graduating from college in December which coincides with my 5 year anniversary and I'm thinking about cutting it then but I'm sure I'll punk out.
Pics:

When they were first twisted:

396949952.jpg

396949951.jpg

One and a one half years in:

396949949.jpg

Now:

396949948.jpg

396949947.jpg

396949950.jpg

snap, why am I JUST now seeing this thread ???
225228_729797797290_8903431_35613583_6394791_n.jpg

loc'd since Dec 07, started with an afro---still went through the dreaded #walestarterdreads phase though
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
Started with wax, but stopped a couple months in--because I heard about the build up and what not.  It used to be really fuzzy, but honestly it just depends on who you get to maintain your hair, or how you maintain it.  Palm rolling is the BEST way to start out, it prevents you from having thick "sloppy" looking locs.  Now, if that's what you want---then forget what I said.   Currently, my guy uses the loc cream and I have no complaints.  I get my roots done once a month, wash it every two weeks, or I try to.  I usually palm roll it but when my roots get real crazy looking he uses the latch tool (works wonders
eek.gif
)  My roots look CRAZY fresh after a fresh latch job.  I'm not really good with keeping it mousterized,  but usually after I wash it I rub tea tree oil in it and let that set in with a shower cap.   I love my hairdresser, been going to him for a year now and I don't ever wanna leave.  He DOESN'T charge an arm and a leg like some other locticians and he listens to what I want and offers to do little things to keep my looking nice (even if I don't ask for it)  

I don't have a problem with lent because I sleep with my hair tied.  I also wear a headband around my edges (got some new babies coming in
ohwell.gif
) plus this prevents a "dent" in my head from my head-wrap. 

The crinkle effect is bomb---if you want it, just braid it and wet it. I usually leave it in for a couple of days before I take it out..... makes your hair look nice and full. 

LOVE my hair
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
and I know that's something coming from a black woman. 

snap, why am I JUST now seeing this thread ???
225228_729797797290_8903431_35613583_6394791_n.jpg

loc'd since Dec 07, started with an afro---still went through the dreaded #walestarterdreads phase though
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
Started with wax, but stopped a couple months in--because I heard about the build up and what not.  It used to be really fuzzy, but honestly it just depends on who you get to maintain your hair, or how you maintain it.  Palm rolling is the BEST way to start out, it prevents you from having thick "sloppy" looking locs.  Now, if that's what you want---then forget what I said.   Currently, my guy uses the loc cream and I have no complaints.  I get my roots done once a month, wash it every two weeks, or I try to.  I usually palm roll it but when my roots get real crazy looking he uses the latch tool (works wonders
eek.gif
)  My roots look CRAZY fresh after a fresh latch job.  I'm not really good with keeping it mousterized,  but usually after I wash it I rub tea tree oil in it and let that set in with a shower cap.   I love my hairdresser, been going to him for a year now and I don't ever wanna leave.  He DOESN'T charge an arm and a leg like some other locticians and he listens to what I want and offers to do little things to keep my looking nice (even if I don't ask for it)  

I don't have a problem with lent because I sleep with my hair tied.  I also wear a headband around my edges (got some new babies coming in
ohwell.gif
) plus this prevents a "dent" in my head from my head-wrap. 

The crinkle effect is bomb---if you want it, just braid it and wet it. I usually leave it in for a couple of days before I take it out..... makes your hair look nice and full. 

LOVE my hair
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
and I know that's something coming from a black woman. 

Back
Top Bottom